• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I was thinking about this last night, but I would like it if S.Links and romance were completely separate entities.

The problem with the "romance" scenes (Xmas, Valentines, Festival) in P4G is that you essentially just choose the ones you want to see to the point where you are literally just going "No, No, No, No, that one!" through a list of options. Wouldn't it be better if the person with you in these scenes was the one that the game decided was the correct option based on your choices and decisions throughout the game?

I'd like P5 to take a leaf out of FF7s book and implement a hidden affection system. For those who dont know, FF7 has a hidden system for deciding who you go on the Gold Saucer date with. The way that this is chosen is, everyone who is eligible has an affection points value and things you do throughout the game increase or decrease this value based on your actions. Now, the way this is done is really sneaky because it's not always "Pick A, B or C from these choices" where each one is blatantly obvious as to who it affects and which way, (although some of them are REALLY obvious).

For example, you speak to a random NPC in a town who says that "the old ways were better" and your options are "Yeah, maybe" or "No way". Now this has nothing to do with any of the people you can date with, but your answer actually affects their points value.

Also, they wanted to implement a "battle affection" system for extra points, but it got cut. This would have been additional points based on how you treated the members in battle, Healing would be +, letting them get KO'd would be -, etc.

I dunno, it was just a thought I had. I understand that this would be a lot harder to implement into a Persona game, especially since you can interact and date people who are not directly in your party, so the different options available would need to be a staggeringly large amount. But like I was saying, it would be cool to have a system like this separate from S.Links. Plus, if you do have a preferred partner, then you can always just manipulate the system like I did to get that Barret date trophy.

I was thinking about this last night, but I would like it if S.Links and romance were completely separate entities.

The problem with the "romance" scenes (Xmas, Valentines, Festival) in P4G is that you essentially just choose the ones you want to see to the point where you are literally just going "No, No, No, No, that one!" through a list of options. Wouldn't it be better if the person with you in these scenes was the one that the game decided was the correct option based on your choices and decisions throughout the game?

I'd like P5 to take a leaf out of FF7s book and implement a hidden affection system. For those who dont know, FF7 has a hidden system for deciding who you go on the Gold Saucer date with. The way that this is chosen is, everyone who is eligible has an affection points value and things you do throughout the game increase or decrease this value based on your actions. Now, the way this is done is really sneaky because it's not always "Pick A, B or C from these choices" where each one is blatantly obvious as to who it affects and which way, (although some of them are REALLY obvious).

For example, you speak to a random NPC in a town who says that "the old ways were better" and your options are "Yeah, maybe" or "No way". Now this has nothing to do with any of the people you can date with, but your answer actually affects their points value.

Also, they wanted to implement a "battle affection" system for extra points, but it got cut. This would have been additional points based on how you treated the members in battle, Healing would be +, letting them get KO'd would be -, etc.

I dunno, it was just a thought I had. I understand that this would be a lot harder to implement into a Persona game, especially since you can interact and date people who are not directly in your party, so the different options available would need to be a staggeringly large amount. But like I was saying, it would be cool to have a system like this separate from S.Links. Plus, if you do have a preferred partner, then you can always just manipulate the system like I did to get that Barret date trophy.

Woah, didn't know about that FF7 system. Will keep that in mind while I play FF7 for the first time after finishing P3P. :p

I still think there needs to be some conscious player agency though. Otherwise it could be something along the lines of "Whoops, was going for Yukiko but ended up dating Chie instead." for example. However, that could still be made to work so that people still fall for you even though you don't go out with them.

Partially indirect influence over romantic relationships seems to be a good idea.

They should remove player choice from the equation completely and just have a single canon romance.

I don't think this would work out in a self-insert heavy JRPG like Persona. "You're in love with this person. You want to be alongside this person. You want to get to know this person more."- that kind of goes against the whole flexibility provided by the "free time spending" mechanics, especially S. Links.

edit:

Flux, trying to understand your stance better here, sorry for making your repeat yourself- so do you view the romance aspect (as it currently is) as something that's mainly used to boost sales? Do you think that Persona would be better off without it mainly due to that?

Also, don't you think that it would make a lot of sense to have romance options in, say, P5, because the main characters are highschoolers?

Agreed on that there should be alternatives to romance events. I think they should improve it beyond "okay, you got Rank 10, now you're lovers forever" myself, wouldn't make much sense to not have it (unless it's made clear to us that the P5MC isn't interested in romance at all) and I actually quite enjoyed the feature, although barebones it was, in P4G. Would you still be against the inclusion of said romance events if there was an equivalent no-romance option provided?

FluxWaveZ

Flux, trying to understand your stance better here, sorry for making your repeat yourself- so do you view the romance aspect (as it currently is) as something that's mainly used to boost sales?
No.
Do you think that Persona would be better off without it mainly due to that?
No.
Also, don't you think that it would make a lot of sense to have romance options in, say, P5, because the main characters are highschoolers?
We don't know the school life of the Persona 5 characters and if it would even accommodate this, but yes.
Would you still be against the inclusion of said romance events if there was an equivalent no-romance option provided?
I am not against romance options in Persona games.

High school romances are shitty nightmares, so that's a pretty poor reason for inclusion.

Yes, I am probably biased by past wasted experiences.
They should remove player choice from the equation completely and just have a single canon romance.
The only way that works is if you do something that allows for that romance to take different courses. E.g., you could start the player in one relationship already (a la Catherine), have two romance options, make them really fleshed out and give the player the option to pursue whatever direction he/she wants.

No.

No.

We don't know the school life of the Persona 5 characters and if it would even accommodate this, but yes.

I am not against romance options in Persona games.

I'm sorry for apparently understanding everything you said up my arse, and thank you for the concise answers. ^_^

SinZega

The arena games are great. Just not for continuing the journey.

I can't comment on DAN, having not played it, but I have my doubts.

Play Ultimax if you want a fun fighting game, but it and Arena's stories are best left ignored because they are really really really bad. Dancing is a fun rhythm game, but its story is ultimately completely disposable.

Damn, that's a shame. Thanks for the input.

Dantis

Dancing's story is trash, but the epilogue is actually really, really good. Easily the best narrative part of any of the spinoffs that I can think of.

Dancing's gameplay is also super good. Really great presentation and a great soundtrack.
Ultimax is a great fighter too, just be prepared to play it alone, and not in story mode unless you like garbage narrative.

As far as gay romances go, I'm not against it, but it's not something that personally interests me. If there is one, I'd rather it wasn't Yusuke, as that seems way too obvious and boring.

I'd be interested in having a female character you can't romance, as well as inter-party romances. How cool would it have been if, say, Yosuke started dating Chie, and that became an aspect of their S Links?

Objectively impossible, lmao

I dunno about this, but I'd say it's unlikely. She seems like the obvious female lead (and therefore love interest). Moreso than there has been an equivalent of in previous games, even.

cj_iwakura

I was really into Arena vanilla's story, but boy does Ultimax go off the deep end. [Redacted] was great, at least, if poorly used.

Dancing All Night is silly at best, offensive at worst.

Dantis

What do you mean? The playerbase for Ultimax has been consistently active, especially now that it got the PS+ boost.

This is absolutely not true. It was pretty quiet when I played it back when it first came out. I'd imagine it's barren now excluding the players who've been playing consistently for a year and a half and will smash a newcomer into dust without using their hands.

EDIT: Might as well post this too. I thought it was pretty neat.

tumblr_o1u891Obm91s602ggo1_1280.png

FluxWaveZ

This is absolutely not true. It was pretty quiet when I played it back when it first came out. I'd imagine it's barren now excluding the players who've been playing consistently for a year and a half and will smash a newcomer into dust without using their hands.

No, as someone who has played thousands of P4AU matches and participated in an online tournament just a few days ago, it's definitely true and it's plainly visible when there are players running all over the place online. Were you only going to Player Rooms and Ranked matches? Or were you playing on the 360? No one plays those modes (or on the 360), and everyone has always congregated to the Lobby rooms.

Yeah, I lost count of the amount of times I jumped online to find a grand total of less than 10 people playing.

At the exact moment of this posting, there are 37 people online, not including myself.

I was really into Arena vanilla's story, but boy does Ultimax go off the deep end. [Redacted] was great, at least, if poorly used.

Dancing All Night is silly at best, offensive at worst.

That's probably why Ultimax stung so hard. Arena set up for so much only to follow through with... that.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I lost count of the amount of times I jumped online to find a grand total of less than 10 people playing.

At the exact moment of this posting, there are 37 people online, not including myself.

That's not active? I just jumped into the Junes I lobby with ~30 players and I could find a match within seconds. This definitely isn't a game with a huge active playerbase, but you won't be spending a lot of time looking for a match against someone else if that's what you want to do.

There are several beginners right now, too.

Sophia

I liked the P3 story in Ultimax, for what it's worth.

I dunno about this, but I'd say it's unlikely. She seems like the obvious female lead (and therefore love interest). Moreso than there has been an equivalent of in previous games, even.

I'd say that's more because she's the only female lead we've seen in trailers; Morgana not counting because of ambiguous gender. I think that'll change once we see another female cast member.

Dugna

I did like that in P4 if you talked to the members in the dungeons they referenced things from your Slinks, like if you're dating 2 of the girls and they're next to each other in the dungeon you talk to one and its creates an awkward moment. Or the Valentine's Day event during Golden (which made me feel like a complete ass on my harem run).

I would like though that if you max a Slink in P5 that it actually influences the story, not so much that lets say you couldn't get the ending if you didn't but make it so the story is slightly more rewarding.

I did like that in P4 if you talked to the members in the dungeons they referenced things from your Slinks, like if you're dating 2 of the girls and they're next to each other in the dungeon you talk to one and its creates an awkward moment. Or the Valentine's Day event during Golden (which made me feel like a complete ass on my harem run).

I would like though that if you max a Slink in P5 that it actually influences the story, not so much that lets say you couldn't get the ending if you didn't but make it so the story is slightly more rewarding.

how do you talk to people while in dungeons?

Dantis

I'd say that's more because she's the only female lead we've seen in trailers; Morgana not counting because of ambiguous gender. I think that'll change once we see another female cast member.

I don't think I agree. P4 got away from this by introducing Chie and Yukiko simultaneously, whereas we know that Ann and Ryuji are the first two P5 party members.

P3 pushed Yukari pretty hard at first, but Soejima's illustrations had a focus on Aigis as well, right from the start.

That's not active? I just jumped into the Junes I lobby with ~30 players and I could find a match within seconds. This definitely isn't a game with a huge active playerbase, but you won't be spending a lot of time looking for a match against someone else if that's what you want to do.

There are several beginners right now, too.

I know there's beginners online now, because the game is free and all, but I highly doubt they'll stick around.

The game has a fairly active offline scene, but online, you rarely see a lobby full. That's the sad thing about anime fighters, people move on as soon as the next new game comes out. And between BB Chronophantasma EX and GG Xrd being out already and BB Central Fiction and GG Revelator on the way, and with all of those games being on the new consoles, I'd have to say that Ultimax is on life support.

It's sad, because I really like the game and wish more people played it, hell, the PS+ part has been great for getting people back in, but I'd hardly call it active. Although chances are, me and you have different definitions of what 'active' means.

FluxWaveZ

I know there's beginners online now, because the game is free and all, but I highly doubt they'll stick around.

The game has a fairly active offline scene, but online, you rarely see a lobby full. That's the sad thing about anime fighters, people move on as soon as the next new game comes out. And between BB Chronophantasma EX and GG Xrd being out already and BB Central Fiction and GG Revelator on the way, and with all of those games being on the new consoles, I'd have to say that Ultimax is on life support.

It's sad, because I really like the game and wish more people played it, hell, the PS+ part has been great for getting people back in, but I'd hardly call it active. Although chances are, me and you have different definitions of what 'active' means.

Yeah, I don't expect many newcomers to stick around after the PS+ honeymoon phase passes, but I still say that it's easy to find matches online. P4AU has been on "life support" for over a year now, but that really means nothing to me when I can hop online and find a match quickly. Actually, I was just booted outside of the lobby because it was too full when I lost a match (I didn't even know this game did that. Edit: Wait, seems like PSN is messing up).

"Active" is relative to me, and if I can find people to play against with quickly when I hop online, that pretty much fits for me. I also play games like SCII and SSB4, so I'm fully aware of how more active playerbases can be, but P4AU is by no means a game you can't find someone else online to play with if that's what you actually want to do.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
It's the calendar system that makes a large number of players likely to drop people once the link maxes out, because from a gameplay perspective, it makes much more sense to work on other links than to basically waste a day on someone you've already got the benefit from.

I don't think I've ever chosen to hang out with someone once the link is maxed, so I actually have no idea what happens. I'm assuming that there isn't any additional scripted dialogue, just generic 'you and x hung out/went to the movies/complained about the lack of same sex romance options' scenes.

Meia

I'd be interested in having a female character you can't romance, as well as inter-party romances. How cool would it have been if, say, Yosuke started dating Chie, and that became an aspect of their S Links?

I actually found this a pretty cool thing that the Mass Effect games did. If you weren't romantic with specific characters and they always had some kind of friendly chemistry going up to that point, they would hook up by the end of 3(Tali and Garrus, looking at you). Was neat having a character in a part of the ship they normally aren't in as you catch them trying to be sneaky about it.

Sigh, that game did so many things right only to fuck it up at the finish line.

P4G was just begging for the inter-party romance thing. Chie and Yosuke, meant to be.

As to the question of gameplay benefits, theoretically, the benefits could cut off at a certain point and you would have to decide if you want to hand out for sheer narrative pleasure at the sacrifice of gameplay benefits. Or you could just extend gameplay benefits the whole way.

I don't think I've ever chosen to hang out with someone once the link is maxed, so I actually have no idea what happens. I'm assuming that there isn't any additional scripted dialogue, just generic 'you and x hung out/went to the movies/complained about the lack of same sex romance options' scenes.

That's it, if memory serves.

didn't keep me from going out with Rise 20 more times

I actually found this a pretty cool thing that the Mass Effect games did. If you weren't romantic with specific characters and they always had some kind of friendly chemistry going up to that point, they would hook up by the end of 3(Tali and Garrus, looking at you). Was neat having a character in a part of the ship they normally aren't in as you catch them trying to be sneaky about it.

Sigh, that game did so many things right only to fuck it up at the finish line.

Spoilers for DA2 and Inquisition. Tagged for PK.

Dragon Age 2 does it with Fenris and Isabela (on a superficial level), and attractions that were mentioned concerning your siblings towards other companions.

Inquisition does the same with The Iron Bull and Dorian.

DA's advantage is that, unlike ME, each entry is largely self-sufficient while at the same time contributing to the ongoing world.

EDIT: But getting back on track. Romance between companions that are also potential love interests for the MC requires some sort of cutoff point. I guess a theoretical opportunity in P4 would be after you're locked as friends in one s-link.

Or, similar to Nanako and Dojima's s-links, reaching a certain date (and the plot event that comes with it) makes that part of their s-link inaccessible.
Not to say that their entire s-link has to be cut off after that point, just the lover path.

Well I am getting close to finishing Persona 3 Portable playing as the female MC. I'm now in January so I should finish it in the next couple days. It's my first time playing a Persona game and second SMT game, SMT IV was my first. It's definitely a fun game, the social link feature is fun, but it doesn't really feel like dating to me. I like the non-romance S-Links better anyway, where it feels like they open up to you about their problems like the Monk and the Young girl at the shrine, I also like walking the dog too.

The one thing I liked better in SMTIV was the demon fusion. I spent a long time trying to get all the demons, which felt a bit like Pokemon which is why I liked it. I didn't feel the need to be such a completionist in this game.

I'm looking forward to playing Persona 4 Golden, which is sitting on my shelf, but I will probably wait until later this year, because I still need to finish Radiant Historia and Final Fantasy X, which I should do before starting it.

Persona 5 looks good too but my PS3 broke and I don't have a PS4, but I would rather play it on handheld anyway.

Jintor

dantis art trade: the realening. dantis, tell me what to draw. it's in here instead of on twitter so people will know i said the thing where i do the thing i say i'll do.

Gecoma

Monkey's paw. Your wish is granted, but Persona 5 is now delayed another year due to the team having to spend time working on P3G now.

i've spent my entire life without persona 5 so far, another year won't hurt!

honestly if we couldn't get P3G any other way I'd be fine with that

that's probably because my only console is a Vita

You won't be able to make the wish If I kill you all first!
Seriously no more delays, I wouldn't be able to handle it.

A definitive edition of P3 is not worth any more delays. It's not even worth a petition. Give it up.

If it'll be good enough for me to stop bitching about P3, it'll probably be worth it to some of the people here. :p

I'd rather Atlus expand their catalog of Persona games than rehash it. More games means less time for you to devote bitching about one title :p

If new releases made us stop thinking about older ones, that would've happened long ago.

Sophia

I'd rather Atlus expand their catalog of Persona games than rehash it. More games means less time for you to devote bitching about one title :p

Expecting Atlus to not rehash games is like expecting to fly to the moon and discover it's made out of cheese.

It's in Atlus's blood to rehash and remake games. That's just what they do. >_>;

cj_iwakura

Has anyone else killed Elizabeth in P3 Vanilla? Since very few seemed to bother and consider Telos integral to even trying, I was thinking of putting up a video of my Persona builds I used to take her down.

Top Bottom