• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

barybll

Banned
Famitsu posted a summary of the character design Q&A with Soejima:

- Soejima has basically free reign while designing the characters. The only thing has to keep in mind is that the characters need to be appealing to the players.
- Character design begins during the game's conceptual phase. The protagonist is usually the first character to be finalized as he serves as the game's poster child.
- Soejima likes short-haired women which is why Makoto is his favorite P5 character. Morgana is easy to draw.
- Soejima's private drawings are different from his work on Atlus games. Famitsu wonders whether that means that we will see a different aspect of Soejima in the future.
- Soejima's decision to become a character designer was influenced by his love for fighting games.
- Soejima always enjoys looking at fan art and encourages fan to mail their work to Atlus.
- His favorite television programs are actually news broadcasts. He also enjoys Power Rangers and Pretty Cure since they give children good rolemodels. The host (John Hardin?) asked him about his favorite Gundam series - it's the first one.
- He doesn't have a particular interest in collaborations, but he's open to fan suggestions. He would like to design the characters for a new Gundam series, though.

I didn't quite get what he was saying when he was talking about his dream project. Sorry about that.

Good

Sophia

Famitsu posted a summary of the character design Q&A with Soejima:

- Soejima has basically free reign while designing the characters. The only thing has to keep in mind is that the characters need to be appealing to the players.
- Character design begins during the game's conceptual phase. The protagonist is usually the first character to be finalized as he serves as the game's poster child.
- Soejima likes short-haired women which is why Makoto is his favorite P5 character. Morgana is easy to draw.
- Soejima's private drawings are different from his work on Atlus games. Famitsu wonders whether that means that we will see a different aspect of Soejima in the future.
- Soejima's decision to become a character designer was influenced by his love for fighting games.
- Soejima always enjoys looking at fan art and encourages fan to mail their work to Atlus.
- His favorite television programs are actually news broadcasts. He also enjoys Power Rangers and Pretty Cure since they give children good rolemodels. The host (John Hardin?) asked him about his favorite Gundam series - it's the first one.
- He doesn't have a particular interest in collaborations, but he's open to fan suggestions. He would like to design the characters for a new Gundam series, though.

I didn't quite get what he was saying when he was talking about his dream project. Sorry about that.

Soejima, he is Gundam. :eek:

Lusankya

I wish it was a joke.

To quote their website: "Zorro Productions Inc. controls the trademarks and copyrights in the name, visual likeness and the character of Zorro. The brand is represented worldwide by over thirty-five licensing agents for all media and ancillary products. John Gertz, President and CEO, has been guiding the brand for over thirty-five years through major films, television, stage productions, publishing projects and promotions in addition to thousands of licensed products."

Although it's not like they are necessarily in the right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro#Copyright_and_trademark_disputes

MSMrRound

December.
lthough I'm sure there will be some promotion for it there.

Heck, during the first Playstation Experience Adam Boyes already name dropped Persona 5 along with the now distant "2015".

Sure hope we will get something from this year's edition of the PSX, other than the obvious "Gio Corsi saves Yakuza" segment, of course.

Just had a nightmarish thought.

What if copyright/licensing issues alter the in game music for the NA release?
I need that sweet jazzy greatness.

Hopefully thats never been an issue before but right now I am playing Tales of the Abyss on PS2 and the theme song is missing the vocals on the NA version and I read that it was because of licensing issues. :X

Tales generally doesn't hire 1 artist to do multiple vocal songs in a game like Persona does.

The Tales game OPs are more like theme songs in anime, where it's an otherwise unrelated artist doing the OP/ED and that's it. The fact that Tales also doesn't stick to one record company for the artists they pick probably doesn't help.

Dantis

I wonder how sincere Soejima is when he says he enjoys seeing fanart. I've seen him say it a nunber of times, so I'm starting to think he might actually mean it.

I wonder what he'd say if he saw my art blog, lol.

Sophia

I wonder how sincere Soejima is when he says he enjoys seeing fanart. I've seen him say it a nunber of times, so I'm starting to think he might actually mean it.

Time to mail your entire portfolio to Atlus for him to see?

Setsu00

I wouldn't be surprised if he saw at least your long-haired Aigis picture that you modified to look like a P5 teaser for TGS 2014.

Lunar15

I've been combing that recent E3 video for some details, and there's just so many elements to the UI that add up to a coherent experience.

Hopping into battle, for instance, the individual character health bars at the bottom actually jump and hop into their larger, more prominently displayed battle health bars, as if to say that the character portraits themselves are leaping from the shadows and into the spotlight of battle. It's an entirely seamless transition.

It's insane how much detail there is.

Also, in the part where the MC is walking in the underground to the flower shop, I noticed there's black paw prints along his path. I don't see this anywhere else in the game, but it made me wonder if that's just a world detail, or if Morgana can show you the way to something if you don't remember where it is.

Makio

It's insane how much detail there is..

Still amazed for the part where you are in the classroom , and a "mission start" gets writed in the classroom board and gets erased like was really written there.

Plus when you get a one more attack or get a critical hit , the screen rips out like a paper or something .... just great.

Little details people would dont see or dont give a second look, but makes the game stylish as hell.

Dantis

I wouldn't be surprised if he saw at least your long-haired Aigis picture that you modified to look like a P5 teaser for TGS 2014.

Maybe! I dunno how much it spread around tbh.

Fighting games inspired him to be a character design?

Man, Soejima really is the coolest dude

Yeah, he's really into SNK fighters as I recall.

"The fuck is Naoto doing in a skin tight catsuit?"

Never forget

Considering Anne's thief outfit, I was just ahead of the curve, really.

Kwixotik

If you're playing persona 4 for the first time, will you be missing out by not using a guide? Will not be playing through a second time, ain't nobody got time for that

Andrefpvs

If you're playing persona 4 for the first time, will you be missing out by not using a guide? Will not be playing through a second time, ain't nobody got time for that

I'd argue that using a guide would actually ruin the game for you. It's impossible to see everything on a first playthrough anyway. Spend your days with the people you like, doing whatever you feel like doing. The game rarely punishes you for your personal choices.

All you need to know is:

• The game has multiple endings, and later in the game you should make a backup save when the game warns you to do so. Reloading this save (never overwrite it!) will allow you to retry in case you get a bad ending. If you need help at this point, just come ask us.
  • There's a character named Marie that you should reach Social Link Rank 10 with before December.

Just keep these two things in mind, and enjoy the game however you want! It's your stay in Inaba, don't let anyone tell you how to spend it :)

Sophia

All you need to know is:

• The game has multiple endings, and later in the game you should make a backup save when the game warns you to do so. Reloading this save (never overwrite it!) will allow you to retry in case you get a bad ending. If you need help at this point, just come ask us.
  • There's a character named Marie that you should reach Social Link Rank 10 with before December.

Just keep these two things in mind, and enjoy the game however you want! It's your stay in Inaba, don't let anyone tell you how to spend it :)

Pretty much what he said. As long as you don't overwrite your save with a Game Clear file, you'll be fine. Enjoy it!

Sophia

I have no doubt I could beat the game in Japanese, but I've got a limited income + I'm not very good at reading kanji. No import for me.

daevious

My lack of any Japanese means that I'm not importing the Japanese version, but I'm probably going to import the PS3 version when that comes out in America.

And re-buy it for PS4 when it releases here. >_>

No import for me. Ignoring the fact that my written Japanese is nonexistent, the NA release date has it release during my last semester of college. (as far as I know)

That's far too thematic an opportunity to just throw away.

barybll

Banned
With 5 months of dodging bullets and expectation, importing seems very tempting, I might do it just to scratch an itch, but I wouldn't be able to play it properly.

On the other hand there are some good games coming out and I will be working and working on my graduation paper, so the wait might not be long.

jzbluz

Not planning on importing, but I do wish Atlus would release a demo. That probably would satisfy my P5 itch until February.

Guess Who

Banned
I can't imagine why you'd import if you don't understand Japanese. The story and characters are what make these games and everything but the broadest points would be totally lost on me.

By the time September rolls around, I should be able to at least read Katakana, so persona names and some attacks should be doable for me....everything else is going to be incomprehensible.

PK Gaming

I can think of a few reasons to play the Japanese version

For starters, the gameplay looks really, really fun

Might buy the Japanese version and play around for a bit. Not sure though.

EDIT: I really love how every time you end your turn in P5, there's a page flip effect

EDIT 2: Anne says "HEY, HOLD UP!" Omg I need this game yesterday

I think I'll end up importing the PS3 version and then getting the PS4 version somewhere down the line (I don't even own a PS4 as of yet).
My Japanese reading is decent-ish (at least as far as understanding the gist of the sentence, but unfortunately I haven't studied nor practised much recently), but my actual hope is that this will motivate me enough to double down on my studying. We'll see if it will work.

daevious

I can think of a few reasons to play the Japanese version

For starters, the gameplay looks really, really fun

Might buy the Japanese version and play around for a bit. Not sure though.

EDIT: I really love how every time you end your turn in P5, there's a page flip effect

EDIT 2: Anne says "HEY, HOLD UP!" Omg I need this game yesterday

I just noticed that when you get a "1 more", the page is ripped out instead of flipping over like with a normal turn.

P5 certainly makes me wish I knew Japanese.
It could be worse though, if I hadn't learned English I wouldn't be able to play it at all lol (along with a ton of other games).

Darksol

By the time September rolls around, I should be able to at least read Katakana, so persona names and some attacks should be doable for me....everything else is going to be incomprehensible.

???

You can learn hiragana and katakana in under a week, easy.

I just realized I have four days off from teaching when Persona comes out this September. Lucky me :)

Jintor

???

You can learn hiragana and katakana in under a week, easy.

i was always intimidated because in beginning high school they take basically a semester to do hirigana/katakana because yo you're doing like 10 other subjects and you're an easily distracted high schooler. japanese 101 in uni though is like "here's hirigana and katakana, learn in a week or you're gonna fail everything else in the course. bye!"

cj_iwakura

SMT spells are fairly easy to learn and read. I used to have some resources I made just for getting through Soul Hackers, like the -kaja spells and the elementals.

Setsu00

i was always intimidated because in beginning high school they take basically a semester to do hirigana/katakana because yo you're doing like 10 other subjects and you're an easily distracted high schooler. japanese 101 in uni though is like "here's hirigana and katakana, learn in a week or you're gonna fail everything else in the course. bye!"

Knowing hiragana and katakana was actually a requirement to enter the most basic Japanese course in my uni.

_Ryo_

Gonna say it again I LOVE how so much of Persona 5 is inspired by manga. It's influence is fucking everwhere. From the splash page calendar, all out attack inserts, to the papery spell effects, to the party turn animations, to the ripped out of the page profile portraits, down to the very UI and world overlays.

But I am wondering. Are they gonna translate the sound effect pop ups for the western release? I've seen a lot of people who say they're not really into anime stuff but are still interested in P5. I doubt they'll know katakana or hiragana and will wonder what stuff like ニャ~、ガタン、オヤ、ガヤ, ヤ~ popping up everywhere means. Japanese onomatopoeia seems to be a very big part of the games visual idenity.

Sophia

Gonna say it again I LOVE how so much of Persona 5 is inspired by manga. It's influence is fucking everwhere. From the splash page calendar, all out attack inserts, to the papery spell effects, to the party turn animations, to the ripped out of the page profile portraits, down to the very UI and world overlays.

But I am wondering. Are they gonna translate the sound effect pop ups for the western release? I've seen a lot of people who say they're not really into anime stuff but are still interested in P5. I doubt they'll know katakana or hiragana and will wonder what stuff like ニャ~、ガタン、オヤ、ガヤ, ヤ~ popping up everywhere means. Japanese onomatopoeia seems to be a very big part of the games visual idenity.

They usually have English equivalents to the sound effect pop ups, as well as translating things like signs

One good example a lot of people don't realize: The sign above Hagakure's entrance in Persona 3 is translated from the original Japanese.

Jintor

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i think on balance they'd leave it be. american comic book sound effects would definitely have a very different implication/atmosphere imho. and why do extra work when you can get away with not doing it and preserving the original identity more faithfully?

Top Bottom