• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Mediking

Might get attacked for this but a Prison School promotion of DLC would be super awesome to me... like Prison School outfits... which are really just prison outfits lol.

Tamanon

Banned
Might get attacked for this but a Prison School promotion of DLC would be super awesome to me... like Prison School outfits... which are really just prison outfits lol.

I don't think it would work too well considering how....."gifted" the Prison School girls tend to be compared to the Persona 5 crew.

Lunar15

After seeing the clip, it's not quite as creepy as the stills suggested, but still not great!

It actually could go either way now. He could just be obsessed with painting the female figure, but not necessarily in a romantic way. I feel like I've seen this trope before, and Yusuke keeps getting described as a very, very abnormal person. Anne's supposed to have a striking figure given her 1/4th (lol) American background. Whole thing could be a red herring.

But with these writers, I doubt it! Errybody a perv.

Don't recognize the name, looking him up he has a large list of credits though, so some I do recognize. I'm surprised he's Saizou in FE:Fates, though, I was so sure that was Steven Blum.

I'm assuming he said that because JP Yusuke = Joseph Joestar, and Ben Diskin was Joseph in the English dub.

PK Gaming

Ohhh, I get it now.

You're like some master troll. I bet you're having a giggle over people getting annoyed of your increasingly ridiculous posts, but I've seen through it.

The jig is up, mate.

Mediking

Ohhh, I get it now.

You're like some master troll. I bet you're having a giggle over people getting annoyed of your increasingly ridiculous posts, but I've seen through it.

The jig is up, mate.

Here me out before you call me a troll ;_;

Recently started reading Prison Scool manga... I really like it and it hit me that prison outfits for the P5 cast in dungeons would be cool.

jzbluz

hqdefault.jpg

PK Gaming

Here me out before you call me a troll ;_;

Recently started reading Prison Scool manga... I really like it and it hit me that prison outfits for the P5 cast in dungeons would be cool.

I love the shit out of Prison School, but there's nothing inherently unique about the prison outfits in Prison School, so why even bother bringing it up...?

Unless by Prison School outfits you mean this:

tumblr_nv91ck8lP61s307p6o1_500.gif

then LOL

DNAbro

Add boobs to all the characters and then put them in prison outfits.

I would be surprised if that hasn't been done already.

Mediking

I love the shit out of Prison School, but there's nothing inherently unique about the prison outfits in Prison School, so why even bother bringing it up...?

Unless by Prison School outfits you mean this:

tumblr_nv91ck8lP61s307p6o1_500.gif

then LOL

Prison School manga is better than the anime... *coughs loudly* Lol

And I really was just joking about the Prison School thing! I'm just bad at Internet humor! ;_;

Davilmar

I watched the last Persona 3 Movie yesterday. Still ended up crying manly tears at the end.

Coincidentally, I managed the same with the entire series last weekend. The movies were surprisingly good from beginning to end. I really need to get back into P3 and finish the darn game. Great series all around.

barybll

Banned
This seems out of nowhere
And its usually smaller franchises that pull crossover dlc like that

I get that they're going for the prison theme, but the fusion methods seem almost embarrassingly edgy.
Feels weird in a game where we still get "Teenage boy oggles female friends; hijinks ensues!" kind of stories.

Rutger

Banned
I get that they're going for the prison theme, but the fusion methods seem almost embarrassingly edgy.
Feels weird in a game where we still get "Teenage boy oggles female friends; hijinks ensues!" kind of stories.

Still not nearly as bad as "put a gun to your head to summon your inner demon" in a game where the main theme is death, haha.

Still not nearly as bad as "put a gun to your head to summon your inner demon" in a game where the main theme is death, haha.
I agree with this. I'm currently replaying P3 and that thing is extremely edgy. Especially the beginning with Yukari seemingly about to commit about suicide

I don't know how I keep forgetting about evokers when they're so prominent in the game. That's pretty bad too lol. I hope P5 at least attempts an excuse for the executions like they did with the evokers.

Rutger

Banned
I don't know how I keep forgetting about evokers when they're so prominent in the game. That's pretty bad too lol. I hope P5 at least attempts an excuse for the executions like they did with the evokers.

As far as I know, the executions are limited to velvet room stuff. I'd be surprised if there's more to it than the place representing the MC's fears or something.This velvet room has a closer connection the the MC thematically than ever before now that I think about it.

I'd have to know more about how it works. I'll probably find it charmingly silly if the guillotines just cut persona cards in half.

Setsu00

According to Hashino, the idea seems to be that you execute the mask that society pushes on you and create a new mask by yourself.

Lunar15

It's all just symbolic. Hashino and team aren't really known for subtlety lol.

Also, the whole prison motif for the velvet room heavily reminds me of the Count of Monte Cristo, where the main character, Edmond Dantes is thrown into a horrible prison after being framed for a crime he didn't commit. While there, he meets a wise old scholar who was also locked away unfairly, and the old man decides to teach him art, philosophy, math, and all sorts of subjects. Eventually, Dantes manages to escape, but by then he had become an entirely different man, smart enough to exact revenge on the men who had framed him.

Pretty easy see the parallels there, even though they didn't list that book as one of their inspirations. That said, it has to have factored in, as it's one of the most famous picaresque novels ever written.

Anyway, go read The Count of Monte Cristo. Or watch it.

barybll

Banned
It's all just symbolic. Hashino and team aren't really known for subtlety lol.

Also, the whole prison motif for the velvet room heavily reminds me of the Count of Monte Cristo, where the main character, Edmond Dantes is thrown into a horrible prison after being framed for a crime he didn't commit. While there, he meets a wise old scholar who was also locked away unfairly, and the old man decides to teach him art, philosophy, math, and all sorts of subjects. Eventually, Dantes manages to escape, but by then he had become an entirely different man, smart enough to exact revenge on the men who had framed him.

Pretty easy see the parallels there, even though they didn't list that book as one of their inspirations. That said, it has to have factored in, as it's one of the most famous picaresque novels ever written.

Anyway, go read The Count of Monte Cristo. Or watch it.

I refuse to believe that there is somene here who never heard of monte cristo
Its THE classic sweet revenge story

Also a very good anime and movie

Dantis

OK and? She's 15 and very short.

I was that same height when I was 15 and I'm a guy.

Okay, and that's lovely, but you're not going to be sexualised by developers and a fanbase.

I mean, this applies to the whole game, right? The pause screen literally has the main character holding his hand up to the camera alongside a sticker saying "Don't look at me like that".

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think you overestimate my post frequency.

Do you think Naoto looks as young as Futaba?
Because, I mean, if you did, you'd be either wrong or in denial.

It's hyperbole, yes, but you've done it occasionally.

As young, no, but they are the same age. She's more closer to looking as young as Rise.

Lunar15

Theoretically, if they both had the same art style, wouldn't Naoto and Futaba be the same height?

I dunno, while I'd never put it past them to fetishize someone for looking much much younger, I get more of an "impish" vibe from what they're trying to do with Futaba.

I mean, this applies to the whole game, right? The pause screen literally has the main character holding his hand up to the camera alongside a sticker saying "Don't look at me like that".

And it's also the same series where kids put guns to their head to summon monsters.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Theoretically, if they both had the same art style, wouldn't Naoto and Futaba be the same height?

I dunno, while I'd never put it past them to fetishize someone for looking much much younger, I get more of an "impish" vibe from what they're trying to do with Futaba.

IIRC, Naoto is ~152cm, which is roughly 5 feet tall. Probably same height Futaba is, but next to MC she looks so small because he is obviously that much taller.

it wouldn't surprise me if they were going for the "She's a hikkomori and eats like shit so that's why she's not growing" or something along those lines.

Lunar15

The team will probably get found out and blackmailed by Futaba through her hacking, but then they'll eventually find out it's her and be like "oh shit it was this tiny girl messing up all of our stuff!".

That + the whole impish/gargoyle vibe is how I'd define her character so far. Despite the initial reaction, I don't actually think there's been any more pandering with her character than with any other. If anything, Anne's the one that's had all the *directly into your face obvious* fan-service.

DNAbro

The pics in Famitsu have been translated and I noticed somethings

At 8/7 the place they are located in is "Heat Island"? That may not be translated well but I had a thought about the Egypt Dungeon. Maybe the whole entire dungeon is during the vacation that happens.

Also like half the mementos missions deal with bullying near the start. Looks like you get the missions from the website Yuki sets up.

The pics in Famitsu have been translated and I noticed somethings

At 8/7 the place they are located in is "Heat Island"? That may not be translated well but I had a thought about the Egypt Dungeon. Maybe the whole entire dungeon is during the vacation that happens.

Also like half the mementos missions deal with bullying near the start. Looks like you get the missions from the website Yuki sets up.

I assumed it was just supposed to be Hawaii. Egypt works too though, although not an Island.

And Hell Biker confirmed for HD model

The pause screen feels more like an angsty kind of edge to me. The fusion stuff is more like the "look at how badass and dark this stuff is" kind of edge. It's silly and pretty easy to do it wrong, but edginess isn't necessarily a bad thing so it's all in the execution for me.
No pun intended.

Lunar15

The pause screen feels more like an angsty kind of edge to me. The fusion stuff is more like the "look at how badass and dark this stuff is" kind of edge. It's silly and pretty easy to do it wrong, but edginess isn't necessarily a bad thing so it's all in the execution for me.
No pun intended.

Actually, knowing how persona is, I think it's definitely played up as more ridiculous and weird than it is dark or edgy. In the same vein as Igor calling personas on the phone in order to summon them.

I get where y'all are coming from, though. If it wasn't this team and I didn't see the appropriate theme around everything, I'd definitely play up some of these elements as try-hard. It's all worked for me so far, I haven't been cringing. Usually that kind of stuff sets off alarm bells for me. Stuff like Suicide Squad just reeks of mass produced, hot-topic targeted, psuedo-anarchic fantasy stuff that never really rings true at any point. I don't think Persona is anywhere near that level. It could have gone down that route, but I actually really like where they're going.

Top Bottom