• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

kiyoaki

Debating myself on whether I should break my 3 month long near spotless P5 related media boycott for this. On the one hand, it's meant to be watched before playing the game. On the other, I really hated the P4 anime adaptations and think both P3 and P4 would have been better without the cutscenes.

Nachos

It seemed like a fairly basic introduction to the premise of the game, the stealing people's hearts and reforming the rotten adults, with a few extra teasers (Goro, Igor). Need to watch subbed, but it seemed fairly straightforward.

Wasn't really impressed with the art/animation either, especially when you compare to the game, which might be slightly unfair, but still.

I'm also disappointed that the thirty minutes of interviews didn't seem to amount to anything substantial, either. Most of that time block was just spent introducing the phantom thieves and having the voice actors dance around spoilers.

Enjoyed that more in English. Lots of small teasers for the main game too.

That floating Colosseum Palace at the end, I'd guess that's the bank going by PV4, and with the bank notes floating around.

And they used Zorro in the localisation, so guess there's no issue with that.

Lusankya

That was basically like one of the Mementos sidequests we will have in the game.

Just finished Daybreakers. Confirmed one of my small predictions. Taking a moment to be smug.

Stealing the hearts seems like
brainwashing to a certain extend, at least he seemed so desperate in the end that you can hardly call it "he magically saw the wrongs of his way". It's more like "we force you to confess and feel horrible about everything while you're in jail."

I liked how the battle basically was turn based and showed the baton touch feature.

jzbluz

I wasn't that bad, and I guess I'm not that picky since I thought the animation was fine (everyone was going on and on about QUALITY that I was a bit worried).
I was a bit disappointed about how the character changes when the thieves steal his heart since it's a bit corny, but the outcome was one of the things I was most curious about.

Lusankya

I wasn't that bad, and I guess I'm not that picky since I thought the animation was fine (everyone was going on and on about QUALITY that I was a bit worried).
I was a bit disappointed about how the character changes when the thieves steal his heart since it's a bit corny, but the outcome was one of the things I was most curious about.

Well, it should be different with the main story bosses. Not only are the party members directly involved and probably are out for personal revenge, it also seems unlikely the Police would chase the Phantom Thieves if all they're going to do is making bad people to turn themselves in voluntarily while feeling bad.

Rutger

Banned
It was a harmless introduction to what the game will be about. They clearly kept the main characters very simple since they don't want to take anything away from the game and it kind of feels like a filler episode in an anime. The fight wasn't all that interesting, I don't know why it's so hard to make interesting animated Persona fights. It's not required watching, but it gives us something to see while we wait, though it might make the wait harder for anyone waiting for Feb, haha.

A lot of the music we've already heard in the trailers, but Shoji Meguro's soundtrack on this game is going to be something else.

Well, it should be different with the main story bosses. Not only are the party members directly involved and probably are out for personal revenge, it also seems unlikely the Police would chase the Phantom Thieves if all they're going to do is making bad people to turn themselves in voluntarily while feeling bad.

Goro talks at the start of the anime as to being opposed to their brainwashing, seems like part of the reason he's after them.

Lusankya

Goro talks at the start of the anime as to being opposed to their brainwashing, seems like part of the reason he's after them.

Yeah, I really want to learn more about this. E.g.
if they can choose "how much" they want to brainwash their targets. E.g. there was speculation that the conductor with the white eyes was one of their targets and maybe they overdid the "brainwashing" and now he is just a mindless Zombie. In this case the subject of vigilante justice would play an even larger role as they can decide how much they want to punish their targets.

Rutger

Banned

Yeah, I think that's likely the main reason. Which I'm fine with, the brainwashing is morally questionable without making our heroes unlikable killers. I can't really think of a better way this could have been handled.

Setsu00

That was surprisingly good, but maybe my standards are just incredibly low after watching Kingsglaive yesterday. The animation itself was rather bad, but at least it had some interesting camera movements.

Yeah, I think that's likely the main reason. Which I'm fine with, the brainwashing is morally questionable without making our heroes unlikable killers. I can't really think of a better way this could have been handled.

How about
the heroes benignly make their 'victims' see the error of their ways, but THE MAN puts a negative spin on it?

Jintor

pretty interesting prologue, they shaped it really well so it fits in with the general premise of what you already know about the game but it doesn't reveal too much really

Good twist too.

DIE, DIE, DIEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dantis

The twist was really nicely done. The fight scene was pretty bleh, though I liked the use of baton touch. Interesting there are already two verses for the battle theme too. Meguro is finally learning from past mistakes.

That was basically like one of the Mementos sidequests we will have in the game.

Stealing the hearts seems like
brainwashing to a certain extend, at least he seemed so desperate in the end that you can hardly call it "he magically saw the wrongs of his way". It's more like "we force you to confess and feel horrible about everything while you're in jail."

I liked how the battle basically was turn based and showed the baton touch feature.

To the extent that they see the error of their ways, yes.

It's hardly brainwashing. The implication is that they're stealing the dark parts of people.

Jintor

To the extent that they see the error of their ways, yes.

It's hardly brainwashing. The implication is that they're stealing the dark parts of people.

i'd argue that removing a part of someone's brain/soul to force them into an acceptable mode of behaviour is totes brainwashing...

I know it's kind of an inherent part of something as corny as persona, but I really don't like japanese media's flare for the overly melodramatic when it comes to evil (or redemption)

DNAbro

I enjoyed it. Nothing spectacular and pretty much what I expected. Glad that I can finally hear a version of the fight theme that isn't 20 seconds long.

I'm not a fan of these anime adaptations because they always had a different feel to the game's atmosphere. Hated the Persona 4 anime. The Persona 3 movies were of great quality but they deviated too much from what was one of my most beloved games :/

Hows the P5 short?

Tamanon

Banned
The OVA did a great job of establishing what the game is going to be about for a good portion of it but didn't get too deep or spoilery. I liked it. MC might be too swagtastic tho lol. Loved the battle.

I'm not a fan of these anime adaptations because they always had a different feel to the game's atmosphere. Hated the Persona 4 anime. The Persona 3 movies were of great quality but they deviated too much from what was one of my most beloved games :/

Hows the P5 short?

It's fine, it's basically just "Here is an illustration of the game's premise without actually using targets from the game" but as such it pretty much only focuses on the characters created for the short rather than the game's cast.

Dantis

The OVA did a great job of establishing what the game is going to be about for a good portion of it but didn't get too deep or spoilery. I liked it. MC might be too swagtastic tho lol. Loved the battle.

He was basically an amalgamation of the anime portrayals or Narukam and Yuki: Narukami when he was a phantom and Yuki at school.

barybll

Banned
As an advertisement short story that was actually nice.
I wasn't expecting a plot twist on it, so its actually a plus.

The animation was atrocious, but so is expected of A-1, they did the same with P4 golden anime.

Sophia

That was.... surprisingly better than I thought it'd be.

I wouldn't mind a 13 episode series of that, especially if the plot was a sidestory to the game.

PK Gaming

Watched the Daybreakers Japanese broadcast. These aren't story spoilers, but if anyone doesn't want their impressions colored before watching, don't click.

The thing's about Trinity Soul-tier, I'd say. Neither the animation nor the action are that great. Barely know any Japanese, so I can't speak to the writing, but the story didn't seem especially great, either. Despite the story being an OVA-original, the scene pacing just felt really uneven and rushed. Without going into too much, the battle also felt turn-based, because there were basically any parts where the characters were working together. Overall it just feels like a big teaser for Mementos and the characters' personalities, not even the story at large.

(Ending spoiler, but it has no bearing on the rest of the OVA's story)
The OVA also ends with Joker in the velvet room and Igor asking for his name. You're going to have to wait until the manga to get anything remotely official on that front.

At the very least, though, it doesn't seem to spoil the game's story, unless you haven't watched any official media from the fourth trailer on.

You need to rewatch Trinity Soul's fam, because this was nowhere near that level. Trinity Souls is in its own special tier of bad.

In fact, it was actually pretty competent.

Lunar15

That was fun. Lowering my expectations lead to me being pleasantly surprised. I liked the twist, I think that's what made it for me.

Yeah, I think we all knew at this point they'd just be forcing people into repentance. We'll have to see how it plays out in the game, but with some of the more serious transgressions, I hope it's not basic lip service.

I hope this game does explore the main cast on an internal level, since that was my favorite aspect of 3 and 4. 5, so far, seems to be very focused on external pressures, which is a pretty normal conflict. It's fighting bad people, basically. What made 4, and to a lesser extent, 3, so interesting is that it was often about fighting internal problems. Changing yourself for the better, not changing others. That's a more unique premise and I hope it still shows up here.

That was fun. Lowering my expectations lead to me being pleasantly surprised. I liked the twist, I think that's what made it for me.

Yeah, I think we all knew at this point they'd just be forcing people into repentance. We'll have to see how it plays out in the game, but with some of the more serious transgressions, I hope it's not basic lip service.

I hope this game does explore the main cast on an internal level, since that was my favorite aspect of 3 and 4. 5, so far, seems to be very focused on external pressures, which is a pretty normal conflict. It's fighting bad people, basically. What made 4, and to a lesser extent, 3, so interesting is that it was often about fighting internal problems. Changing yourself for the better, not changing others. That's a more unique premise and I hope it still shows up here.

Agreed on that front.
I would really like to see the characters go into self-doubt about whether they were doing the right thing in the lategame- when you get down to it, stealing hearts *is* forcibly changing people- hope there's some exploration of that. Perhaps the choices tie into just what you steal.

Couple specifics about TDB:
I quite liked it. Is the twist people are talking about how the guy was actually the head honcho or the domestic abuse? Latter was great.

Also fucking lmao that end with the Hero about to say his name was a hilarious tease, hope we DO get a canon name though

Couple specifics about TDB:
I quite liked it. Is the twist people are talking about how the guy was actually the head honcho or the domestic abuse? Latter was great.

Also fucking lmao that end with the Hero about to say his name was a hilarious tease, hope we DO get a canon name though
I'd say those twists are mostly one and the same. The ending was kinda predictable but I can't deny I have enjoyed it.

Sophia

The portrayal of the Personas themselves is perhaps most interesting. It is very much in line with how they were portrayed in Persona 2. Beings that appear when their owners need them; rather than something that's merely called forth. Quite interesting.

The portrayal of the Personas themselves is perhaps most interesting. It is very much in line with how they were portrayed in Persona 2. Beings that appear when their owners need them; rather than something that's merely called forth. Quite interesting.

That's in line with how they appear behind the user in when you have the skills menu up, it seems.

I half expected
a persona to appear and absorb some of the attacks though, especially when they were getting blown around by the explosions. Something like how Ayase's persona awakens in the P1 manga
. It does sort of make me wish that
the characters could use their personas like the way Carmen yanks him down from the ceiling, even if it's just a scripted event in a cutscene

Someone got a high resolution version of it?

8db58747edf194894812ba2115a99df41472851534_full.jpg

DNAbro

One thing that has me curious in the ending scene.

I liked how the previewed the Bank Palace at the end. The people walking around were literal ATMs. Palace's are supposed to be a warped view of how the owner sees the world right? Kind of love how the Banker just sees people as money dispensers. I'm still curious how Palace's effect the real world, like can certain things be done in a Palace and it has real world effect? There was some stuff in the preview of the first 2 hours that makes me question that.

Top Bottom