• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv303450709 concert stream apparently isn't region locked any more. Still need to buy a ticket for it, but much easier to watch now that no VPN is needed.

Here's a guide for it, although it's fairly straightforward: http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/k...-to-be-livestreamed-heres-how-to-buy-tickets/

(Don't expect any mirrors, Nico are pretty fast at shutting them down for paid events, and they ban the Nico account so the person streaming is out of the cost of the ticket too).

Wonfes tonight too, someone put together a collection of the Megaten related garage kits which will be exhibiting: https://twitter.com/i/moments/891190971458666496

DNAbro

Makoto figurine prototype
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/891470360440258560

DF8jhtgUIAA5TKX.jpg

and futaba
https://twitter.com/hj_shohin/status/891471013426282496

DF8kKErUwAAVxdO.jpg

They need to make a Transformer figure out of Makoto's Persona.

I'd be interested in another dancing game if they improved the gameplay mechanics. Couldn't get into P4D even though I thought the remixes were pretty good.

Anyone expecting good stories out of these spinoffs should probably abandon all hope.
Even if they only improve the terrible ranking system I'd be extremely happy. I could deal with a number of the flaws in P4D, but the stupidly punishing ranking system was the one thing I could never deal with.

PK Gaming

Man that Makoto figure is laughably bad

Her weird pose doesn't fit her at all and it's rather silly looking

Failed attempt all around

Mediking

Man that Makoto figure is laughably bad

Her weird pose doesn't fit her at all and it's rather silly looking

Failed attempt all around

Agreed. I'll always raise the banner for fanservice but it has to be smart fanservice and not tasteless.

Why not have a figurine of Makoto doing that awesome thing of nervously reading manga while following Joker? I would buy that without a problem.

Mediking

Google image search "Persona 5 Panther".

The FIRST image you see.

Research mode... engage!

Code:
[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9a/6f/f5/9a6ff59136487f01b0daba6f620c3ae0.jpg[/IMG]

^ This is bad but it's not THAT bad. At least she's kinda posing like a panther.

But I meant a Ann figurine like...

Code:
[IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab209/fmanime/Costume/Costume001/Costume001001/Shin%20Megami%20Tensei%20Persona%205%20Ann%20Takamaki%20Panther%201.jpg[/IMG]

Lynx_7

I now understand why people resent Palace 7 so much.
The cramped corridors, respawning enemies and infinite rat mazes really do start to wear you down after a while, and it doesn't help that so many enemies don't have any weaknesses so you gotta rely on Miracle Punch sometimes. It's the first palace that really made me think "ok, this feels a little bloated". They should've used the rat gimmick twice and then thought of something more interesting for the other sections. It's a shame because I was actually really enjoying the palace up to the point where you get to the restaurant and the first maze.
It's not a bad dungeon, but it's the weakest in the game by a fair margin.

Palace 7 "Sub-Boss" spoilers:
Felt good to finally have a Persona user who actually puts up a fight after the previous pushovers from P3 and P4. Akechi wasn't particularly hard since I had a bunch of Personae that basically countered him, but at least he was strong enough that the confrontation felt appropriately climatic. That said, I think they went too far with his characterization. I love megalomaniacal Kiraesque outbursts, but even by those standards it felt a bit too hammy. Also, I couldn't take that 2 Akechis scene seriously. Like, it's completely justified in-lore, but the whole concept of Akechi killing Akechi killing Akechi is so ridiculous and the execution was so over the top that I found the whole ordeal unintentionally funny. I still really enjoyed his contributions to the plot overall, but they could've handled his arc much better. His motivations were undercooked, and I'm not convinced the whole "alas, poor Akechi" moment was earned.

Mediking

The cramped corridors, respawning enemies and infinite rat mazes really do start to wear you down after a while, and it doesn't help that so many enemies don't have any weaknesses so you gotta rely on Miracle Punch sometimes. It's the first palace that really made me think "ok, this feels a little bloated". They should've used the rat gimmick twice and then thought of something more interesting for the other sections. It's a shame because I was actually really enjoying the palace up to the point where you get to the restaurant and the first maze.

Felt good to finally have a Persona user who actually puts up a fight after the previous pushovers from P3 and P4. Akechi wasn't particularly hard since I had a bunch of Personae that basically countered him, but at least he was strong enough that the confrontation felt appropriately climatic. That said, I think they went too far with his characterization. I love megalomaniacal Kiraesque outbursts, but even by those standards it felt a bit too hammy. Also, I couldn't take that 2 Akechis scene seriously. Like, it's completely justified in-lore, but the whole concept of Akechi killing Akechi killing Akechi is so ridiculous and the execution was so over the top that I found the whole ordeal unintentionally funny. I still really enjoyed his contributions to the plot overall, but they could've handled his arc much better. His motivations were undercooked, and I'm not convinced the whole "alas, poor Akechi" moment was earned.

Look whose finally see the light. :)

Now you know.

SPOILERZ:

Akechi should've stayed a good guy. I was rooting for him because he's a cool guy and he was actually trying to flirt with Sae. But noooooooooooo..... he's not a good guy at all.

Yeah, there's a pretty high risk with these games that each big emotional moment is going to fall completely flat, or worse just look like a joke.

Lynx_7

Look whose finally see the light. :)

Now you know.

SPOILERZ:

Akechi should've stayed a good guy. I was rooting for him because he's a cool guy and he was actually trying to flirt with Sae. But noooooooooooo..... he's not a good guy at all.

Hey, I still stand by all my previous comments. Palaces 1-6 are mostly excellent, it's just 7 that has some issues. :p
I wish they had stuck with the concept of it being more of a
luxury ship
than a dungeon, like the first 1/3 of the palace. A few enemies here and there, but with a bigger focus on scenery, atmosphere, situations, character interactions, that sort of stuff. Basically, I was hoping for something a bit more like the train chapter from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. As for the spoilers...

Nah, I actually liked that they stuck to their guns and kept him as a villain. It sets him apart from all previous party members and he works pretty well on that role. Before the game released I actually made a joke prediction that he would be the traitor, but then would come back to the main party because of the power of friendship, and I was totally expecting it to play out like that. The fact that it didn't and he actually had to face the consequences of his actions was a positive aspect for me. I just wish they did a better job of selling the "tragic anti-hero" narrative they tried to set up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was really disappointed they didn't use a unique boss theme for that fight. Before the final phase started I was like "this is it, right? The perfect opportunity to debut Rivers in the Desert!" and nope. Just normal boss music. :|

Mediking

Hey, I still stand by all my previous comments. Palaces 1-6 are mostly excellent, it's just 7 that has some issues. :p
I wish they had stuck with the concept of it being more of a
luxury ship
than a dungeon, like the first 1/3 of the palace. A few enemies here and there, but with a bigger focus on scenery, atmosphere, situations, character interactions, that sort of stuff. Basically, I was hoping for something a bit more like the train chapter from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. As for the spoilers...

Nah, I actually liked that they stuck to their guns and kept him as a villain. It sets him apart from all previous party members and he works pretty well on that role. Before the game released I actually made a joke prediction that he would be the traitor, but then would come back to the main party because of the power of friendship, and I was totally expecting it to play out like that. The fact that it didn't and he actually had to face the consequences of his actions was a positive aspect for me. I just wish they did a better job of selling the "tragic anti-hero" narrative they tried to set up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was really disappointed they didn't use a unique boss theme for that fight. Before the final phase started I was like "this is it, right? The perfect opportunity to debut Rivers in the Desert!" and nope. Just normal boss music. :|

Ehhhh.... SPOILERZ:
Makoto should've been the traitor. That would've been interesting to see happen.

Hydrus

Ok Gaf, I'm 80 hours into this P5 and on the 5th palace, and this game is just a slog to play thru. P4G was alot more fun and had alot more charm. Most of these characters just aren't really clicking for me. P4 had alot of little moments that gave the main cast some personality. Story is pretty meh. So far this game is: Meet new teammate, take on new palace, repeat. Also the UI takes up way too much room. Music is ok, but I've only heard three vocal tracks so far 80's hours into it and the rest just don't really stand out like P4G's did. I'm feeling pretty disappointed. I keep hoping for it to pick up.

Dantis

Okay, so that Makoto statue isn't quite what I was expecting...

Also am I crazy or is that pose for Futaba taken from that fanart all out attack picture?

asagami_

Banned
i don't know why anyone would have an issue with it, it's got all the best elements of a dungeon: droning music, vast empty spaces, teleporters, palette swapped enemies, one way doors...

Honestly? It's a awesome dungeon (and the layout remind me to the infamous Eridanus), but fails in many things as well. It's like it's two (or three or four...) dungeons in one. Without something to have fun (special events, really) it's easy to get tired from it.

Sophia

Full disclosure, I felt the same way. What with not one, but two dead cast members.

Oh yeah. They'll have to recast Kaneshiro for this won't they? Miyu Matsuki's character might simply just be skipped over out of respect for her, but there's no way to get around Kazunari Tanaka... :(

Oh yeah. They'll have to recast Kaneshiro for this won't they? Miyu Matsuki's character might simply just be skipped over out of respect for her, but there's no way to get around Kazunari Tanaka... :(

Might try to get around it with reuse of lines from the game again.

(Endgame spoilers)
they also have real Igor, who they can't get away with just having unvoiced lines for.

Gbraga

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv303450709 concert stream apparently isn't region locked any more. Still need to buy a ticket for it, but much easier to watch now that no VPN is needed.

Here's a guide for it, although it's fairly straightforward: http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/k...-to-be-livestreamed-heres-how-to-buy-tickets/

(Don't expect any mirrors, Nico are pretty fast at shutting them down for paid events, and they ban the Nico account so the person streaming is out of the cost of the ticket too).

Wonfes tonight too, someone put together a collection of the Megaten related garage kits which will be exhibiting: https://twitter.com/i/moments/891190971458666496

Thank you for the link! Just entered the thread to ask how the hell do I buy a ticket. :D

Can't wait, their concerts are always so good!

I don't see why they would skip it, they already recasted her in a bunch of other games and shows.

I dunno... that Wheel of Fortune-shaped hole is gonna look pretty conspicuous.

Might try to get around it with reuse of lines from the game again.

(Endgame spoilers)
they also have real Igor, who they can't get away with just having unvoiced lines for.

Can they not?

7pm JST. There wasn't an end time given but Stalker Club supposedly starts after (during?) at 8pm JST.

If no one's doing it yet, I'll be putting up a livestream thread on the morning of that day.

Disappointed with how lewd that Makoto figure ended up being. :/

Also Anime announcement was expected. Not expecting anything out of it because I found A-1's P4/G adaptions to be pretty terrible, but we'll get some new music out of it so that's always cool.

Excited for potential new Persona Dance game and less so for PQ2, but maybe that will force me to finish PQ finally.

Sophia

Disappointed with how lewd that Makoto figure ended up being. :/

Also Anime announcement was expected. Not expecting anything out of it because I found A-1's P4/G adaptions to be pretty terrible, but we'll get some new music out of it so that's always cool.

Excited for potential new Persona Dance game and less so for PQ2, but maybe that will force me to finish PQ finally.

What about the four Persona 3 movies?

As much as I like the P3 movies, is that a fair comparison? My understanding is that a full series faces a completely different set of challenges compared to a film. Though, I'm not even sure comparing the P5 anime to the P4 series is fair either.

Sophia

As much as I like the P3 movies, is that a fair comparison? My understanding is that a full series faces a completely different set of challenges compared to a film. Though, I'm not even sure comparing the P5 anime to the P4 series is fair either.

I think it's a fair comparison. A lot of the quality of a series comes from the people working on it, not merely the studio or the format of the anime. A-1 Pictures has produced good stuff as well.

We really need to see who's directing and writing this.

I think it's a fair comparison. A lot of the quality of a series comes from the people working on it, not merely the studio or the format of the anime. A-1 Pictures has produced good stuff as well.

We really need to see who's directing and writing this.
Ah, that's a fair point. I'd even point to something like Sword Art Online as an example of A-1 doing good work over the course of multiple series. Say what you will about where the story went, the production value of that show stayed pretty impressive, at least from what I can remember.

I agree with you that lamenting A-1 is kinda pointless at this stage. What's more important is who is actually directing and writing it. I'm worried about this adaptation for a ton of reasons, A-1 isn't really one of them.

They're alright. I wouldn't say they're amazing, certainly a step up but I don't think the P4 anime or the P3 movies will ever be a good substitute for the games. And they aren't for everyone but I feel bad for people who were exposed through the anime and not through the games. I hope the P5 anime good, but I don't have my expectations high at all. Hard to cram a 100 hour game into 26 episodes or 4 movies no matter how you look at it.

I'm probably going to end up buying it anyway...Hoping there is a good way to display it so her ass isn't so in your face.

Hard to say, probably run the risk of facing her face away from you. Shame, because she's never posed like that on Johanna in the game. Makoto is my favorite P5 character so I would have leapt at the opportunity for some merch of her, but I can't imagine the face I'd get from my girlfriend if I ever tried to set this up somewhere in the apartment haha.

Sophia

Ah, that's a fair point. I'd even point to something like Sword Art Online as an example of A-1 doing good work over the course of multiple series. Say what you will about where the story went, the production value of that show stayed pretty impressive, at least from what I can remember.

I agree with you that lamenting A-1 is kinda pointless at this stage. What's more important is who is actually directing and writing it. I'm worried about this adaptation for a ton of reasons, A-1 isn't really one of them.

Sword Art Online's kind of a weird case too, where the production team got stuck between a rock and a hard place. The original novel was written way before everything else, and is more of a standalone piece that has a very specific (note: not saying it's good) flow to it. Adapting that to anime format basically gave them two choices: Destroy that flow and go in chronological order, or keep the flow and confuse the hell out of non-novel viewer. They obviously chose the one that would benefit their expanded audience.

Worse, even with all the side material that exists now, they had no way of making the Aincrad arc fit a full 26 episode series. But at the same time many of the stories were simply too big to fit in a single episode. Episodes 2 and 3 are particularly bad about this, having entire chunks of them being cut out of the anime adaptation. So they had a second dilemma trying to figure all that out too. I don't envy the team that worked on Sword Art Online for those reasons, because they had their work cut out for them. They did, however, manage to make it very popular, in spite of any critical reception.

As for the Persona 5 anime itself, we really need to know a lot more about the format and details of it before we can judge. The announcement just says it's a TV series, so we can safely assume it's a 26 episode/two cour series. But who's directing it? Who's writing the scripts? Those key details will be important. The teaser trailer is pretty promising IMO, due to emulating the style of that one particular image.

And for what it's worth, I felt the Persona 4 anime was pretty faithful despite having an incompetent director. It told the entire story, ultimately, and didn't leave anything out. It had it's flaws with pacing and stuff, and the animation was garbage at times, but it have it's moments where it was superior to the games. Particularly the music, and several key scenes near the end. The P3 movies didn't have Kishi onboard as director anymore, and they ended up in many ways telling a superior version of Persona 3's own story. So I think as long as they've got a good director and scriptwriter, it'll be good.

I'd love to see Noriaki Akitaya and Jun Kumagai return myself. They did good work.

It's a shame they couldn't just go to Production I.G. for the full on anime series.

Oh well, we'll get more Meguro music out of it, as said earlier.

Hard to say, probably run the risk of facing her face away from you. Shame, because she's never posed like that on Johanna in the game. Makoto is my favorite P5 character so I would have leapt at the opportunity for some merch of her, but I can't imagine the face I'd get from my girlfriend if I ever tried to set this up somewhere in the apartment haha.
I'm hoping the head is on a pivot, or at least slightly on it. I doubt it is but I have a few figures that are while still having seamless look to the neckline. I'm going to try though...I own worse anyway (Blazblue Mu-12)

Fortunately for me my favorite character is Futaba and both of her figures are coming along much better.

Sword Art Online's kind of a weird case too, where the production team got stuck between a rock and a hard place. The original novel was written way before everything else, and is more of a standalone piece that has a very specific (note: not saying it's good) flow to it. Adapting that to anime format basically gave them two choices: Destroy that flow and go in chronological order, or keep the flow and confuse the hell out of non-novel viewer. They obviously chose the one that would benefit their expanded audience.

Worse, even with all the side material that exists now, they had no way of making the Aincrad arc fit a full 26 episode series. But at the same time many of the stories were simply too big to fit in a single episode. Episodes 2 and 3 are particularly bad about this, having entire chunks of them being cut out of the anime adaptation. So they had a second dilemma trying to figure all that out too. I don't envy the team that worked on Sword Art Online for those reasons, because they had their work cut out for them. They did, however, manage to make it very popular, in spite of any critical reception.

As for the Persona 5 anime itself, we really need to know a lot more about the format and details of it before we can judge. The announcement just says it's a TV series, so we can safely assume it's a 26 episode/two cour series. But who's directing it? Who's writing the scripts? Those key details will be important. The teaser trailer is pretty promising IMO, due to emulating the style of that one particular image.

And for what it's worth, I felt the Persona 4 anime was pretty faithful despite having an incompetent director. It told the entire story, ultimately, and didn't leave anything out. It had it's flaws with pacing and stuff, and the animation was garbage at times, but it have it's moments where it was superior to the games. Particularly the music, and several key scenes near the end. The P3 movies didn't have Kishi onboard as director anymore, and they ended up in many ways telling a superior version of Persona 3's own story. So I think as long as they've got a good director and scriptwriter, it'll be good.

I'd love to see Noriaki Akitaya and Jun Kumagai return myself. They did good work.
I never knew that much about Sword Art Online (my knowledge of anime production is limited to occasional readings of the Sakuga blog and a love of Shirobako) so that's very interesting.
Based on what I've read from some cool translator people (this tweet string for the curious, potential spoilers for late game developments) it sounds like P5's anime could have its own case of being caught between a rock and a hard place. I think having a good writer and director will help a lot, obviously, but it sounds like something could go awry with the anime anyway.
The teaser trailer was promising, but the key art really bothered me. I'm excited to watch the show regardless of its quality, though.

Makio

Oh well, we'll get more Meguro music out of it, as said earlier.

Jesus this must be the only thing i looking forward from this Persona 5 anime.

I really hope they go out and put at least many original songs like the previous ones

Songs in the P4 Anime and P4G Anime are underrated and i think of ones i can easily put in a "my favorite" list of P4 tracks like Beauty of Destiny , Sky's The Limit , We are One and All , Ying Yang , Falling into Right Places and of course instrumental tracks like Bond of Everyone Souls.

Better put Lyn to work seriously.

Sophia

I never knew that much about Sword Art Online (my knowledge of anime production is limited to occasional readings of the Sakuga blog and a love of Shirobako) so that's very interesting.
Based on what I've read from some cool translator people (this tweet string for the curious, potential spoilers for late game developments) it sounds like P5's anime could have its own case of being caught between a rock and a hard place. I think having a good writer and director will help a lot, obviously, but it sounds like something could go awry with the anime anyway.
The teaser trailer was promising, but the key art really bothered me. I'm excited to watch the show regardless of its quality, though.

Really do think the original Sword Art Online (or what is known as Volume 1 now) would have worked as a standalone movie.

I saw Tom's tweets on the subject earlier. I think a big factor in how they handle the material will depend on what timeslot Persona 5 airs at. I don't remember what timeslot Persona 4 aired at (it was on MBS/TBS/CBC, standard network channels), but I do know Code Geass got away with a lot of similar stuff in it's second season, and that was a prime time slot. So I guess we'll see.

In regards to the content itself (ENDGAME P5 SPOILERS)
I'd like to think they wouldn't have to downplay the allegories between Shidou and Abe/LDP, but who knows? I don't think they'd change things too drastically tho.

I hope the P5 anime has Morgana yelling at Joker to go to bed.

And those cool anime cutouts from the game.

I suspect both will be in. The Persona 4 anime was pretty good at maintaining the art style, even if it wasn't the highest quality animation at times. The second opening, for example.

Top Bottom