• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Dantis

I need to do a New Game + run on P5 at some point soon so that I can try and take it all in.

When I replayed P4G earlier this year, there was a lot of cool bits of writing that I picked up on that I hadn't considered first time around.

BlastCore

Banned
I've done 3 playthroughs of P5 and the only trophy I still don't have is completing all the requests. I keep missing one for forgetting to check the phone =/

JarrodL

Playing Persone 3 FES blind for the first time. I'm at the end of the 2nd in-game month, and I have a few questions:
- I've been trying to develop all my skills and social links more-or-less equally, should I continue in this way or instead pick a few and focus on developing those?
- Mitsuru has been asking me to go repair the equipment in the meeting room. But every time I go there I can't find anything to repair, the console just gives me the option to watch the surveillance vid again. What gives?

Playing Persone 3 FES blind for the first time. I'm at the end of the 2nd in-game month, and I have a few questions:
- I've been trying to develop all my skills and social links more-or-less equally, should I continue in this way or instead pick a few and focus on developing those?
- Mitsuru has been asking me to go repair the equipment in the meeting room. But every time I go there I can't find anything to repair, the console just gives me the option to watch the surveillance vid again. What gives?
- For social links, just do whichever ones you like; there's almost no chance to max everything in one run without a lot of planning or carefully following a guide. Same for social stats, though I seem to remember maxing knowledge last because the major stat checks for it come later.
- You never repair it, you just get regular surveillance videos over the course of the game. Some of them are pretty fun to watch.

Mediking

Some thoughts from my NG+ playthrough, spoilers up until September:
  • The lead up to Okumura's Palace is somehow worse than I remember, and I really didn't like it the first time. I still don't really get why Ryuji and Morgana started fighting at that exact moment. Feels more like plot convenience more than anything.
  • On the plus side, I like Haru's awakening more than I remembered. Such a good character to be mishandled in some ways.
  • I honestly think Morgana is my least favourite party member in the modern Persona games. He's like Teddie without the endearing qualities; like Junpei without maturing out of his jealous streak; all with the added bonus of an uninteresting story with weak payoff. Best use in combat is to heal people after the fight. I'm really not a fan.

Just now seeing this...

Lets talk about what you said about Morgana.

I actually really like Morgana. Its weird to hear you say he doesn't have endearing qualities and doesn't mature... because he does, in my opinion.

Spoilers for Persona 5!

Morgana goes from snarky cat who only sees Joker as a way to figure out who he really is.. to caring about the group incredibly and being so dang supportive. He's heart-warming as heck.
He's with you all the time because he cares and he needs you. But the funny thing is that he wants to stand on his own feet and show he can be strong on his own. And about the fighting... Morgana's Miracle Punch has saved me SO MANY times in P5. I refuse to say he's just a healer. One of his weapons has a high knock down chance too.

Now, ummm... More spoilers:
His identity reveal wasn't that good. I was hoping he would turn out to be the other half of Mishima or something.

All in all, feels good to discuss Persona again. Ahhhhhh.

Spoilers for Persona 5!

Morgana goes from snarky cat who only sees Joker as a way to figure out who he really is.. to caring about the group incredibly and being so dang supportive. He's heart-warming as heck.
He's with you all the time because he cares and he needs you. But the funny thing is that he wants to stand on his own feet and show he can be strong on his own. And about the fighting... Morgana's Miracle Punch has saved me SO MANY times in P5. I refuse to say he's just a healer. One of his weapons has a high knock down chance too.

Now, ummm... More spoilers:
His identity reveal wasn't that good. I was hoping he would turn out to be the other half of Mishima or something.

All in all, feels good to discuss Persona again. Ahhhhhh.
I don't think I'll be able to properly explain my issues with Morgana, but I'll try anyway.

I think the points you raise just show that Morgana had an interesting set up, but the execution is weak. To be clear up front, I think a big part of my problem with Morgana is how he's handled in the localization; from what little I know of Japanese, he seems more consistently characterized there. He has clearly defined linguistic quirks that are maintained the whole way through. In English, his dialogue has little personality at best and is wildly inconsistent at worst. I'd be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if his dialogue was fun or engaging, but it mostly just sounded like a generic mascot character with lots of awkward phrasing to me.

As for his story arc, there was a lot happening I'll admit.
But between how far apart developments came and how poorly each one was handled, I just couldn't care. A good point is the Okumura arc. His insecurity is something that deserved being explored, but the way it happened made me actively dislike Morgana rather than made him more interesting. Putting everything in the story on hold so you can chase down an insecure catbus isn't a good recipe for endearment, at least not to me. It would have been okay if the resolution to this was particularly sweet or something, but in reality he just has a little monologue telling us stuff we already know about him (You're insecure and want everyone to care about you? Who knew!) and everyone moves on. The whole thing felt contrived too; it wasn't organic drama, it was a case of the writers deciding to address this side of Morgana no matter how much it didn't really fit in with the rest of the story. Because of all of this, I found his heartwarming sections at the end to be cloying and forced.

Writing that all out, I think I dislike Morgana because he suffers all of the worst aspects of P5 with none of the best aspects. I think there was potential there, so I get if you like him, but there's too much weighing that potential down for me.

I will concede that Miracle Punch is baller though.

I don't think I'll be able to properly explain my issues with Morgana, but I'll try anyway.

I think the points you raise just show that Morgana had an interesting set up, but the execution is weak. To be clear up front, I think a big part of my problem with Morgana is how he's handled in the localization; from what little I know of Japanese, he seems more consistently characterized there. He has clearly defined linguistic quirks that are maintained the whole way through. In English, his dialogue has little personality at best and is wildly inconsistent at worst. I'd be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if his dialogue was fun or engaging, but it mostly just sounded like a generic mascot character with lots of awkward phrasing to me.

But between how far apart developments came and how poorly each one was handled, I just couldn't care. A good point is the Okumura arc. His insecurity is something that deserved being explored, but the way it happened made me actively dislike Morgana rather than made him more interesting. Putting everything in the story on hold so you can chase down an insecure catbus isn't a good recipe for endearment, at least not to me. It would have been okay if the resolution to this was particularly sweet or something, but in reality he just has a little monologue telling us stuff we already know about him (You're insecure and want everyone to care about you? Who knew!) and everyone moves on. The whole thing felt contrived too; it wasn't organic drama, it was a case of the writers deciding to address this side of Morgana no matter how much it didn't really fit in with the rest of the story. Because of all of this, I found his heartwarming sections at the end to be cloying and forced.

Writing that all out, I think I dislike Morgana because he suffers all of the worst aspects of P5 with none of the best aspects. I think there was potential there, so I get if you like him, but there's too much weighing that potential down for me.

As far as the localized text goes I think this is probably true for most of the cast. But I played with the Japanese voices, so I'm not sure if that helped or not.

Nictel

As far as the localized text goes I think this is probably true for most of the cast. But I played with the Japanese voices, so I'm not sure if that helped or not.

Speaking of voices, in this case English, I find
Noir
off putting, it is very high pitched. I hope I get used to it.

BTA

I like Morgana a lot but I dislike his character arc even more as a result. A big problem with his character arc is indeed
the whole thing about Ryuji calling him useless because we have a navigator now blah blah blah, and just...

What the FUCK are you talking about, dude? You, Ann, and Yusuke provide NO outside of battle benefit to the team to begin with! And though this changed, at the time I sure wasn't using you or Ann in battle much! Meanwhile Morgana has physical crits constantly so guess who's the most useful member of the team?

Thinking about it more now I wish they committed fully to the idea instead of half-assing it and actually made that section of the game have wind and physical resistant enemies to clearly cement that Morgana was useless at that point. Instead they just claimed he was and it was just baffling and a huge waste of time; the eventual coming together as a team with a home etc. stuff was good but the journey there wasn't worth it.

Kinda stupid question perhaps, but what would you want the main message of Persona 6 to be.

I think, right now, for me, it is "Get involved". Not "Break free from preconceptions and expectations" like P5, but more of a "You are not entitled to stay idle while there are issues to be solved" message, something more mandatory and grim and definite.

Just had some friends peddle the "left and the right are the same, I don't care"
bullshit to me and as someone who literally grew up in Erdoğan's Turkey, I've literally been watching my idealized view of the West crumble before my very eyes for the last two years.
I'm pretty fucking mad.

...What a way to have my 18th birthday (it's the 10th).

daevious

Kinda stupid question perhaps, but what would you want the main message of Persona 6 to be.

I think, right now, for me, it is "Get involved". Not "Break free from preconceptions and expectations" like P5, but more of a "You are not entitled to stay idle while there are issues to be solved" message, something more mandatory and grim and definite.

Just had some friends peddle the "left and the right are the same, I don't care"
bullshit to me and as someone who literally grew up in Erdoğan's Turkey, I've literally been watching my idealized view of the West crumble before my very eyes for the last two years.
I'm pretty fucking mad.

...What a way to have my 18th birthday (it's the 10th).

They've already been covered by P5 and P4 respectively.

As far as P6 is concerned, I'd like to see the original 'globe trekking' idea for P5 expanded into a full game.

Lynx_7

Thinking about it more now I wish they committed fully to the idea instead of half-assing it and actually made that section of the game have wind and physical resistant enemies to clearly cement that Morgana was useless at that point.

I actually really like this idea. Using the medium's strenght to reinforce the story's message and all that. Would be even more effective if most enemies had
Zio spells and were programmed to attack Morgana more often than the other characters if he's in the active party. Despite them (and by them I mean mostly just Ryuji lol) calling him useless at that point in the story, he's one of the most useful members to use in the palace they just went through since his crits are pretty good against Anubis. In fact, Morgana was consistently one of the most useful party members to use period. He's a good healer, his (Ma)Sukunda has good synergy with Yusuke's (Ma)Sukukaja, he's a good damage dealer and a good crit machine. Him and Makoto were the 2 party members I used the most.

I like Morgana, and I can understand why others don't. He can be pretty annoying at his worst, but I found him endearing. I enjoy his little comments when you two are just hanging out in the city, doing some activity or listening to a conversation. He's pretty much the replacement for the 2nd person narrator in those moments.

kromeo

I think I must be towards the end of Persona 1, Maki just rejoined the party after running off to the woods.

Is the Snow Queen path different enough to bother playing through straight after?

PK Gaming

Was bored so I made a P5 character tier list. Taking into account design, personality, writing, confidant storyline, plot involvement and general entertainment value.

Top tier
-Futaba

Makoto Tier
-Makoto

Just short of perfection
-Ryuji

Great, but they could have done more with them
-Yusuke

Great, but poorly utilized
-Ann
-Haru

Fairly good throughout but has an extremely lackluster arc and notably bad moments
-Morgana

Lol
-Akechi

asagami_

Banned
I think I must be towards the end of Persona 1, Maki just rejoined the party after running off to the woods.

Is the Snow Queen path different enough to bother playing through straight after?

Yes. The path focus in a mysterious phenomena occurring in the school involving a entity who wish to bring to the world a eternal night. It's a side-story after all, but somehow fit in the main plot.

I've compiled an extensive list of things announced at GSJ Japan concerts, which should give some idea as to what to expect from this one:

1. The title of Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There (and technically that was before the concert when the setlist was revealed).

Atlus has one livestream for TGS with it's content still TBA, in addition to the Megaten one. But that will probably end up being for 13 Sentinels, since there's good reason to expect that at TGS.

What we're definitely seeing at TGS: Strange Journey Redux, Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei Liberation. What we'll probably see: Persona Dancing Games and a first look at PQ2.
What is a pipe drean: Shin Megami Tensei for Switch.

Oh well maybe Marvelous will reveal Bokumono for Switch.

And maybe Nintendo's Direct will finally put a release date on Xenoblade 2 because at this point we're veering dangerously close to "persona 5 is coming out in 2015" territory

What we're definitely seeing at TGS: Strange Journey Redux, Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei Liberation. What we'll probably see: Persona Dancing Games and a first look at PQ2.
What is a pipe drean: Shin Megami Tensei for Switch.
Call me negative, but I doubt we'll see any more of the dancing games until November or December. Nothing on PQ2 until next year, and SMT HD is a year or more away from a first trailer. I'm as excited for Dx2 Liberation as I can be for a mobile game I doubt we'll ever get.

I think they'll at least show off new characters or have a slightly longer trailer for the Dance games, because otherwise their TGS lineup is pretty dire, especially for it to be a big anniversary year.

Edit: Oh wow, both Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 and Radiant Historia already came out in Japan too. Slim pickings on previously announced games my friends.

I think if they add anything to their TGS lineup, it'll be 13 Sentinels. I'm guessing the Dancing games are coming out in May/June next year, so they'll have plenty of time to do their marketing then.

Makio

Yeah and all they released was one bad game, now they have a chance to make amends.

Implying an EO clone and a couple of Dancing games are more Anniversary worthy than a (good or bad) main Persona game.

And i agree with Cannon_Fodder despite is likely we will see more Dancing Nights footage , for games there are coming in the best case scenario in April , is still a little soon and no far from the previous teaser trailers either.

Somehow a tease for PQ2 seems more possible for me (with a year release window).

Lynx_7

Great, but they could have done more with them
-Yusuke

Great, but poorly utilized
-Ann
-Haru

Aren't those two the same thing lol
Yusuke is probably my favorite, with Makoto, Futaba and Ryuji rounding out the top 4.

--

A question regarding P4G: is it worth it more to spend time with Nanako/Dojima or gardening? Do they give the same amount of affection points?

Yusuke is probably my favorite, with Makoto, Futaba and Ryuji rounding out the top 4.

--

A question regarding P4G: is it worth it more to spend time with Nanako/Dojima or gardening? Do they give the same amount of affection points?
Former is "more please". Latter is "the way they were used makes them worse"

PK Gaming

--

Former is "more please". Latter is "the way they were used makes them worse"

Yeah pretty much. Basically Ann was great but she was handled terribly after her arc. Conversely, Yusuke was handled pretty well for the most part, I just want to see more of an involvement from him after his arc.

Incidentally, my favorite characters were Ryuji, Yusuke, Ann, Futaba & Haru.

Mediking

Makoto gets so much love because she gets so much spotlight in the game. I have a love/hate (not even really hate) view of her only because of how much spotlight she takes at the game at times. She's connected to ALOTTA stuff where other characters are just connected to a few things. That's not even really Makoto's fault. That's on the writing.

And Akechi... if only they had just changed a few things about the guy.

And Haru.... if only they had pushed her more.

BTA

Makoto gets so much love because she gets so much spotlight in the game. I have a love/hate (not even really hate) view of her only because of how much spotlight she takes at the game at times. She's connected to ALOTTA stuff where other characters are just connected to a few things. That's not even really Makoto's fault. That's on the writing.

And Akechi... if only they had just changed a few things about the guy.

And Haru.... if only they had pushed her more.

Just like Morgana's, Akechi's arc is something I was really really annoyed by at the time and am now even more annoyed with the lost potential of if I think about it more.

It would be so easy to make his sacrifice slightly more meaningful if they, at the very least, had him return from his seemingly obvious setup to not actually be dead, throw himself at Shido and actually sacrifice himself for real while also meaningfully helping the party.

But thinking about it more there's that group text after his death that was laughably bad. I was super bothered by it then but now I can even see alternatives that would be even better. A peer of theirs, someone their age, someone they knew and had fought alongside (even considering the shit he pulled, this matters), just fucking died right in front of them and saved them in the process. That would have been a great moment for someone in the cast to go "hey, actually, hold the fuck up... I'm not actually ok right now, can we seriously talk about this?" and have them all meet up to decompress and grow as friends because even though shit was already real, this was a lot to deal with.

But nah, text a bit and move on so we can fight Shido I guess.

My top two favorite characters are definitely Makoto and Yusuke. Kinda funny since I didn't care about them one bit in the pre-release hype and I was more focused on Ann/Haru. Goro had the potential... ;_;

Given his popularity I fully expect to see more of Akechi down the line. Especially if there's an enhanced release at some point. So I'm thinking like it or not his character will be expanded upon.

Given his popularity I fully expect to see more of Akechi down the line. Especially if there's an enhanced release at some point. So I'm thinking like it or not his character will be expanded upon.

I agree. For P5 arena
they'll make up an excuse that he survived so that he can be playable.

I wonder if P5 crimson is 2018. I hope it is. Persona team has Persona 6 to get to!

Lynx_7

Akechi is an unfortunate victim of bad resolution imo. His role in the narrative is very solid up until the
sixth palace
and I would genuinely consider him one of the most consistently entertaining characters up to that point, perhaps even top 5. He's a good antagonist, there's some genuine tension when he (late game spoilers)
strikes a deal with the PT
, and his characterization is pretty good. It's only when (last palace spoilers)
the twist happens and his character becomes a caricature of itself that he begins his downward spiral. The game's writing surrounding him and Shido is just strangely sloppy at that point. His motivations aren't convincingly set up (I swear his monologue at the TV show is one of the most tacked on villain backstories I've ever seen), his "redemption" feels unearned, and that whole confrontation against him at the boat is just too over the top and cartoonish (which I would've loved if he was just an unredeemable palace villain, but not when the game expects me to empathise with him and take him seriously as one of the main antagonists).

Like, I feel really conflicted about him. On one hand I really enjoy his contributions for the majority of the game, on the other hand they really fucked up that landing, to the point it seriously undermines his character.

PK Gaming

Akechi is an unfortunate victim of bad resolution imo. His role in the narrative is very solid up until the
sixth palace
and I would genuinely consider him one of the most consistently entertaining characters up to that point, perhaps even top 5. He's a good antagonist, there's some genuine tension when he (late game spoilers)
, and his characterization is pretty good. It's only when (last palace spoilers)
the twist happens and his character becomes a caricature of itself that he begins his downward spiral. The game's writing surrounding him and Shido is just strangely sloppy at that point. His motivations aren't convincingly set up (I swear his monologue at the TV show is one of the most tacked on villain backstories I've ever seen), his "redemption" feels unearned, and that whole confrontation against him at the boat is just too over the top and cartoonish (which I would've loved if he was just an unredeemable palace villain, but not when the game expects me to empathise with him and take him seriously as one of the main antagonists).

Like, I feel really conflicted about him. On one hand I really enjoy his contributions for the majority of the game, on the other hand they really fucked up that landing, to the point it seriously undermines his character.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I still enjoy his character (that AoA animation) but as a character he just disappoints.

I agree. For P5 arena
they'll make up an excuse that he survived so that he can be playable.

I wonder if P5 crimson is 2018. I hope it is. Persona team has Persona 6 to get to!
That's assuming there is a P5 crimson-type game coming out. I doubt it myself.
sixth palace

Well said. You've summed him up very well, and despite the huge problems, Akechi is one of my favourite parts of P5.

BTA

sixth palace

Resolution really is the problem, yeah.
There's a reason why the first thought I have about the game's plot now is just "the first 2/3 is all setup with no resolution and the last 1/3 is mostly resolution with little setup". It really, really does not help that I was spoiled for him and most of his twist the entire game (and, I mean, it's very obvious even without knowing that; I even noticed the pancakes thing immediately) as well as the Igor twist. It made it hurt even more when the game FINALLY got around to revealing what he was up to, and then did absolutely nothing with in the end, because for the whole game I was looking forward to how that'd actually play out once they knew and beyond the interrogation trick it was pretty much an abrupt end.

It's also really weird that the game tries to paint him as being like... the dark version of Joker at one point but it's just said in passing, and not really backed up by any of the framing prior to that point, like it was an idea they had for the game but decided against actually doing.

Makio

Funny because the same can be say about Futaba...

I wonder if P5 crimson is 2018.

Still dont understand why some people want or need one "enhanced" version of the game so bad when the game itself is the enhanced one ...besides of the "put the games in other consoles" reason.

Im aware other version / remake of p5 will drop at some point but at least let the game old or change the console generation first (Ps5) or something...

I just beat P5.
Ryuji is my least favorite. He's just dumb as bricks.
I came to like Futaba more as the game progress. She's surprisingly well written with her quirks and social awkwardness.
Akechi was disappointing. Squandered opportunity with how it went.
Haru's importance dropped off the map shortly after getting her.

SP was a real problem for the first two dungeons, but once I got the SP3 accessory, it was one day dungeon all the time, unless there is some story related plot that you have to go back for.

I got the true ending on the first play through and didn't realize there is no normal ending, just bad ones.

Gonna do NG+ for collecting the rest of the trophies. The ending wasn't as bittersweet as P4G, but I still liked it.

I just beat P5.
Ryuji is my least favorite. He's just dumb as bricks.
I came to like Futaba more as the game progress. She's surprisingly well written with her quirks and social awkwardness.
Akechi was disappointing. Squandered opportunity with how it went.
Haru's importance dropped off the map shortly after getting her.

SP was a real problem for the first two dungeons, but once I got the SP3 accessory, it was one day dungeon all the time, unless there is some story related plot that you have to go back for.

I got the true ending on the first play through and didn't realize there is no normal ending, just bad ones.

Gonna do NG+ for collecting the rest of the trophies. The ending wasn't as bittersweet as P4G, but I still liked it.

Bitter-whatnow..?

Top Bottom