• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

OrionX

So I'm curious. I won't be playing P5 until February, and I haven't seen the Day Breakers anime yet. To anyone who's seen it, should I watch it now, or will my eternal punishment enhance tenfold if I do?

... I probably already know the answer.

Sophia

So I'm curious. I won't be playing P5 until February, and I haven't seen the Day Breakers anime yet. To anyone who's seen it, should I watch it now, or will my eternal punishment enhance tenfold if I do?

It's just a sidestory to the game. If you're already having problems waiting, it won't help. If you're not having problems waiting, it won't suddenly make you have problems waiting. =P

And it's pretty cool in it's own right, even if it's nothing amazing.

OrionX

It's just a sidestory to the game. If you're already having problems waiting, it won't help. If you're not having problems waiting, it won't suddenly make you have problems waiting. =P

And it's pretty cool in it's own right, even if it's nothing amazing.

I'm handling it well enough for now, I'm just afraid it'll break down the wall I've built. lol

Lynx_7

It's cool and shows good potential for how some sidequests in the game are supposedly gonna play out, not to mention it'll give you a little taste of the characters and setting. It's not amazing in its own right but does a good job of promoting the game. I'd say go for it.

It's cute and fun. I definitely wouldn't mind a full anime series of monster of the week plots like that.

Mediking

Daybreakers was great. I kept rewatching the
twist
over and over because of how cool it was.

Oh and...

"JOK-AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hmmm wonder how long it'll be till we find out some more of the English cast for Persona 5.
Here's hoping they are getting some actors they haven't used before so that I don't associate them immediately with past characters.

.JayZii

Banned
I see where you're coming from, but I can't say I feel like giving the writers the benefit of the doubt here. I don't think any of what you're describing is a deliberate, natural progression of someone who's trying to come to grips with their sexual identity but rather, a mix of Kanji just "being himself" interspersed with some "humorous" jokes. Which is still quite enjoyable, but far from progressive. Honestly, I think you're ascribing more depth onto him than he actually has. He isn't that complicated, and I don't think they particularly thought it through beyond his character development. They predictably, make fun of it in Persona 4: Arena so again, they don't particularly care about his sexuality being nuanced. Gay = funny.

One last thing. "His friends joking around with him" literally just amounts to Yosuke making cracks at his expense. Chie even calls him out on it once (and sadly only once), and Rise is super considerate towards him behind the scenes.
I suppose I could be ascribing more to the character than was intended, but the game exists within our real world, so I can't judge it in a vacuum.

I see where you're coming from though, and I think it would be great if Atlus had a gay character in a future game that wasn't bogged down with a bunch turmoil. I have to admit I have a bit of a problem with the fact that gay people in entertainment are usually either the butt of the joke, or a super tragic persecuted figure. Both of which have the character completely defined by their sexuality. That's part of what I like about Kanji, is that his sexual identity stuff is just a part of his character, not the whole of it.

OrionX

Hmmm wonder how long it'll be till we find out some more of the English cast for Persona 5.
Here's hoping they are getting some actors they haven't used before so that I don't associate them immediately with past characters.

You'll get more Yuri Lowenthal and you'll like it, dammit.

I hope so too.

I hope so too.

Johnny Yong Bosch to reprise his role as protagonist confirmed. He is Lelouch after all.

It's funny because both of them have dubbed for Joker's JP Va before so they would actually be legitimate choices.

please pick someone else there's tons of people in that vocal range

I do want to hear about the English Cast as soon as possible, though. Even if we manage to get dual audio, I'm playing with the dub. But because all the trailers and shit have been Japanese only for 3 years, getting used to the English cast will take a while. I'll need as much time as possible to adjust, lol

Darksol

I do want to hear about the English Cast as soon as possible, though. Even if we manage to get dual audio, I'm playing with the dub. But because all the trailers and shit have been Japanese only for 3 years, getting used to the English cast will take a while. I'll need as much time as possible to adjust, lol

I've already put 50 hours into the game. Adjusting to the dub in February will be weird for me.

Nachos

I hope so too.
Already confirmed not to be in the game.

It's funny because both of them have dubbed for Joker's JP Va before so they would actually be legitimate choices.

please pick someone else there's tons of people in that vocal range
Still pulling for Robbie Daymond or Ray Chase. Those two and Max Mittelman are quickly rising to become the go-to protagonist voices for anime and games that Lowenthal and JYB filled back in 2006–2010. Plus, Chase can do cocky/smug really well, which is all Joker exudes whenever he speaks.

Already confirmed not to be in the game.

Still pulling for Robbie Daymond or Ray Chase. Those two and Max Mittelman are quickly rising to become the go-to protagonist voices for anime and games that Lowenthal and JYB filled back in 2006–2010. Plus, Chase can do cocky/smug really well, which is all Joker exudes whenever he speaks.

I wouldn't say RD is go to for protagonist roles yet- of the 7 or so things I have mentally tagged for him, only one is a protagonist role. Everything else is a major or minor character. That said I totally expect him on this game someplace, and wouldn't be suprised if he did end up as Protag.

FFXV is like the second time I've seen Ray Chase come up, and the first time was an anime I didn't watch, so I can't really comment on him.

Totally agree with your point on Mittelman though.

Cs0owq3WgAE-Mfl.jpg

I normally prefer steelbook art to be more subtle (my mirrors edge catalyst steelbook is awesome), but with how they did the colors I think that looks great.

Dantis

So Futaba is basically exactly how I predicted her to be.

Still haven't seen the beach scene, but there's no way I'm wrong seeing as (spoilers I guess but not really?)
her face is never covered up. She's had her face uncovered for every scene she's been in up to this point.

That steelbook is much better. Really glad they used that art.

Dantis

Context for the beach scene with Futaba (no plot spoilers)
so I guess it's a recurring gag that Futaba puts on that dumb mask when someone first walls in, and then takes it off straight after. The towel is the beach equivalent of this.

Also I think I kind of hate Ryuji. He's a real fucking creep, even if Anne does handle him really well (she does).

Also Yusuke is the best and everyone will love him.

Lunar15

so I guess it's a recurring gag that Futaba puts on that dumb mask when someone first walls in, and then takes it off straight after. The towel is the beach equivalent of this.

Also I think I kind of hate Ryuji. He's a real fucking creep, even if Anne does handle him really well (she does).

Futaba: Weird
Ryuji: :(
Yusuke: Not surprised in the least bit.

I'm assuming Anne and Makoto are pretty great as well?

PK Gaming

DRAW. WE TIED.

Dantis

DRAW. WE TIED.
You lose, bro. It's totally a gag.

Futaba: Weird
Ryuji: :(
Yusuke: Not surprised in the least bit.

I'm assuming Anne and Makoto are pretty great as well?

From what I can gather, Anne and Makoto seem really good. Makoto basically seems like a more female version of Naoto. Her crit is even super close to Naoto's autocombo.

Ryuji seems like the worst parts of Kanji, Yosuke and Teddie smushed into one idiot. I sure hope you like dumb, pervy characters who yell all the time and are animated like a monkey!

OrionX

This pleases me greatly.

Just watched Day Breakers, and as expected, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love these characters. And it wasn't my first time hearing it, but I love the opening theme song for this game so much. Easily on par with P3's and P4's for me, maybe my favorite of the bunch. I need dat new Persona music, but I'm gonna try to hold off on listening so it'll be fresh in February.

Ryuji seems like the worst parts of Kanji, Yosuke and Teddie smushed into one idiot. I sure hope you like dumb, pervy characters who yell all the time and are animated like a monkey!

That's... a bit worrisome. lol

Zolo

To be fair, I'm sure Ryuji will be more endearing when I can understand a word he says.

Yeah. I've seen plenty of people say they like him. I expect he'll be a mixed-bag like the other 'best friend' characters, though I won't be surprised if he's generally treated on the level of Yosuke.

DNAbro

From what I saw, I actually really liked Ryuji. He was also constantly the MVP in the fights in the stream I was watching. He definitely does have pervy moments though.

Jintor

I'm surprised, so far Ryuuji has been a total bro. I only just cleared the first dungeon though so we haven't really had a chance to hang out proper.

I think a lot of it is going to come down to the VA/translation. But they seem to have been going for a Yankee/Delinquent archetype (Morgana even suggests it as his codename), which is why he's animated like that.

Lunar15

I mean, I'm one of those people who liked Yosuke, aside from some key bad moments.

Ryuji definitely seems like the dumb sidekick kind of guy, but going by that archetype, that could either be annoying or great. I love Okuyasu in Jojo, for example.

Darksol

You're all crazy. Ryuuiji is awesome. If you're going to hate a teenager because he likes tits and is prone to occasional outbursts of anger, you basically hate most teenage guys :p

He's a cool character -even his less than glowing moments don't nearly approach Yosuke's borderline bullying of Kanji. And, he has a good backstory too.

Also, Yusuke is indeed awesome.

PK Gaming

How about something positive for once!?? My brother completely spoiled himself entirely on P5. These are his *spoiler free impressions*:

• This game has the best narrative in a Persona game, bar none. It's not just a string of episodes, the overarching plot is genuinely great, easily surpassing even P2:EP (which come on, easily has the best story in a Persona game to date.).
  • The main cast is good, though 2 characters in particular stand far above the rest. In fact, one character is supposedly his "favorite Persona character, ever." There are no bad main characters.
  • You'll have to think very hard about the decisions you make later on.
  • Persona 5 is genuinely dark, but not in the juvenile garbage that edgy teens are into. There are some moments that supposedly made him say damn.

(not a spoiler, but something worth spoilering just in case)
  • The game has an "Ultimate" rivalry. Whatever that means.

Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but my brother has ridiculously high expectations on stuff. Should be something. Get excite, I guess.

How about something positive for once!?? My brother completely spoiled himself entirely on P5. These are his *spoiler free impressions*:

Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but my brother has ridiculously high expectations on stuff. Should be something. Get excite, I guess.
Damn. Each passing day is getting harder and harder to resist. I wonder which two? Also does that part about making decisions mean what I think it means? Long term consequences for choices? Huh.

Well I'll be busy with SMT4:A so that'll probably hold me.
I can vouch that your brother continues to have good taste, PK. :p
That's some high expectations for non-waifu bait! :)

PK Gaming

Damn. Each passing day is getting harder and harder to resist. I wonder which two? Also does that part about making decisions mean what I think it means? Long term consequences for choices? Huh.

Well I'll be busy with SMT4:A so that'll probably hold me.

That's some high expectations for non-waifu bait! :)

No, the game's not that ambitious haha.

Like with P3's simple binary Yes/No endings and P4's "reach out to the truth", P5 needs you to make important decisions towards the end with serious ramifications.

Lunar15

Not to question your brother's taste, but this here sounds like some "in the moment" hyperbole.

At least nothing negative really left a mark. The game doesn't sound like it has any massive, glaring issues.

PK Gaming

Not to question your brother's taste, but this here sounds like some "in the moment" hyperbole.

At least nothing negative really left a mark. The game doesn't sound like it has any massive, glaring issues.

Persona (outside of EP) has never really had a particularly great main narrative so the first one isn't too difficult to believe.

As for the rest... Perhaps. He's not really the type to let hype affect his emotions though.

Mediking

Youtube just tried to spoil me... AGAIN! I saw a image of Joker looking determined and I was like, "Huh?" Then it hit me that I was seconds away from being spoiled and I clicked away soooo fast.

Top Bottom