• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf, there is a SMT mmo? From the sound of it, it sucks. But I'd be willing to get into it if some other Persona-gaf joined me. We can be like Maya and Tatsuya, farming in Innocent Sin Online.

I'd have to use my brother's computer though, unless it runs on a 5 year old macbook -__-

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Possibly. It's not like I played enough to get a good judgement to the game, about 30 minutes, but once it froze up my whole computer pretty much locked up hard.

Computer got megido'd

I have a pretty decent laptop and it nearly froze my computer when I tried to close it.

Soma

Played IMAGINE last night for a few hours by myself. It's... okay. I've never played any MMOs before so I dunno what's considered decent these days. Some stuff definitely feels dated even for me but it's kinda fun in a way.

Might mess around with it for a few days and end up uninstalling it in a week or two.

Dantis

I really don't see it that way. I feel like everything that was added had a purpose, as small as it was.

We already talked about how some of the bonding scenes in vanilla P4 are ultimately pointless, but they're there to make you, the player, get to see this cast of characters bond and further their relationship together. The scooters are a further extension of this, with them leading to the characters getting their license together, to the beach trip, to giving the player an additional combat advantage so he doesn't feel like those scenes were a waste of time when he could have been social linking instead. I really can't complain about the dual attacks either, cause they incredibly often saved me from having enemies or even Golden hands running away from me after an AoA failed to take 'em out.

Bug catching was implemented well, I thought. It had a dual use (fishing and getting additional stones from Shiroku), took no time from the player to do, and it was a little extra tidbit that got you to know more about Inaba itself and it's local fauna.

The new dungeon was weird, but I wouldn't call it bad. It was a neat gimmick after how OP my party was at that point, with the only change I'd do would be to allow actually getting money from it. Even the boss fight was fun because the dungeon naturally gave me a ton of Break items, so I had no problem with it.

You should do the new ending, I took a moment to see if on the way to True End and it is wonderful. Actually made me curious to see a spin-off that followed the events of that ending.

Like I say, most of it does absolutely nothing for me (Though the first scooter trip is probably the only additional scene that I found legitimately funny. I was even laughing at the Japanese one despite not understanding the actual words), but it's interesting to see that someone responded so positively to it.

I might just watch the new ending online... I really dislike the character that it's based around, so I don't know if I'll ever bother with that S Link.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Like I say, most of it does absolutely nothing for me (Though the first scooter trip is probably the only additional scene that I found legitimately funny. I was even laughing at the Japanese one despite not understanding the actual words), but it's interesting to see that someone responded so positively to it.

Considering the way things played out, you could tell what happened despite not understanding the language.

I might just watch the new ending online... I really dislike the character that it's based around, so I don't know if I'll ever bother with that S Link.

The idea of the new ending in general throws me for a loop. I can't really wrap my mind behind it. (Note that I haven't actually seen it since I don't own a Vita or P4:G)

Dantis

Considering the way things played out, you could tell what happened despite not understanding the language.

Well, clearly.

That applied to pretty much all of the new content. I understood the large majority of it, down to Marie's plotline. The 2D portraits and simple animations convey a surprising amount.

The idea of the new ending in general throws me for a loop. I can't really wrap my mind behind it. (Note that I haven't actually seen it since I don't own a Vita or P4:G)

It's just a new bad ending. Noi is the first person I've seen be really positive about it, I feel like some people before said it was rather insignificant.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yup, already beat it too. Goddamnit. ;_;

However, I do not own Vanquish so this update is still gooood.

I was going to buy a physical copy of it, but kept putting it off. Mostly because I kept forgetting about it. This'll work though.

Vanquish is awesome, so awesome I bought it twice.

I'm about to start up a PS3 lobby in P4U with a friend, but if anyone's interested in joining up, just let me know what your PSN is so I can add you in

How long will you keep it up? I have a TV show to watch from 8-8:30 PST, and I was considering doing some Euro Truck Simulator 2 after, but I'll play if there's a good enough crowd.

Edit: I'm still conflicted about whether or not I should pick a sub in that game or not... hrm...

How long will you keep it up? I have a TV show to watch from 8-8:30 PST, and I was considering doing some Euro Truck Simulator 2 after, but I'll play if there's a good enough crowd.

Well my friend and I tend to go at it for quite a bit, so honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we're still at it for a little while, but not sure on an exact time to be honest.

Well my friend and I tend to go at it for quite a bit, so honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we're still at it for a little while, but not sure on an exact time to be honest.

Alright. I may or may not drop by, mostly depending on how many people are posting about playing by then. I have homework I should probably focus on anyways, lol.

Noi

On playthrough 2 of P4G, I didn't think of much it, but the first set of choices the game gives you during the school campout actually change depending on if you've done Yukiko's Slink far enough to know about her inability to cook. My choices this time involved telling Yosuke he shouldn't eat it and offering my portion to him, haha.

On playthrough 2 of P4G, I didn't think of much it, but the first set of choices the game gives you during the school campout actually change depending on if you've done Yukiko's Slink far enough to know about her inability to cook. My choices this time involved telling Yosuke he shouldn't eat it and offering my portion to him, haha.

Wait, really? I thought it was just that way normally.

Nah, I hadn't followed up on Yukiko by that point in my first run and his original choices involved being as excited as Yosuke. It's a neat touch!

Wow, that's crazy. Makes sense though as I'm pretty sure I had her pretty high up if not rank 10 by that point.

Sophia

I need a stick so bad. The PS3's d-pad hurts my hand too much to play. After those games + a trip through Arcade mode as Akihiko... x.x;

I remember the first few days I played P4U, I got blisters on my left thumb. What's weird is that they seem to come and go from time to time. Because of said blisters I'm training with my fightpads so I don't need to use the Dualshock's dpad as much, which is a shame since I love using the dualshock for this game, but I doubt the blisters repeatedly is a good thing.

Would you guys have liked it better if Arena was non canon instead and featured a more wide variety of characters across the series?

On one hand, I do like how it's canon in terms of weaving the plot together. On the other, a what if scenario featuring characters from all across Megaten would be cool as well.

I'd say I'd be fine with it if it went in either direction.

FluxWaveZ

Would you guys have liked it better if Arena was non canon instead and featured a more wide variety of characters across the series?

I'm leaning more towards no than yes because I appreciate a fighting game where narrative is important and is reflected via the character roster, the stages and such. Plus, the story mode would have either been absolute insanity or omitted. Then again, P4A's story mode wasn't all that amazing and being able to unshackle themselves from the limitations of narrative to just include whoever they wanted would have also been interesting.

It's a difficult question but, other than Labrys and Shadow Labrys, I'm actually not too sure the story would have altered the roster all that much. All of the P4 crew would have been there for sure and Aigis, Akihiko and Mitsuru would have been there as well as it was stated in an interview that they were included because of the popularity of those characters. I don't know about Elizabeth so, really, there would have only been a difference of 3 characters in your hypothetical scenario, I think.

Sophia

Absolutely not. Too much character development and plot advancements for that, particularly for the likes of the Persona 3 cast. I just wish they would have done one long story mode instead of the BlazBlue style character story modes.

Squire

Banned

I'm starting to, given how (somewhat) over-dramatic people have been about it because it's canon.

I do want to see it expanded regardless. There's a bunch of stuff if want them add to another one.

Prior to, well, actually playing the thing, I would have liked it to be non canon. Now, I just want to see all the plot threads that it started, continued.

Daimaou

Depends on how insane they went with it. Probably not, though, since I'd want a ton of characters in that event and ASW fighters only start with around 10-12 initially.

Sophia

Here be P3, P4, and P4A spoilers. All ye who don't want to be spoiled, abandoned ship now.

I almost think calling the game Persona 4 Arena was a mistake in a way. The Persona 4 cast have very little to do overall with the story. Heck, Mitsuru already basically guaranteed success by calling Fuuka in to help out. Aigis is closer to being the protagonist than Narukami is too. It really feels like they're just kinda there, and if it weren't for the last minute plot twist of "The real villains know us and know what we did in P4", then they really would just be kinda.... there. It's my biggest complaint with the story mode, as it's pretty clear that the whole Labrys/Shadow Operatives plotline was planned out in advanced.

Here be P3, P4, and P4A spoilers. All ye who don't want to be spoiled, abandoned ship now.

I almost think calling the game Persona 4 Arena was a mistake in a way. The Persona 4 cast have very little to do overall with the story. Heck, Mitsuru already basically guaranteed success by calling Fuuka in to help out. Aigis is closer to being the protagonist than Narukami is too. It really feels like they're just kinda there, and if it weren't for the last minute plot twist of "The real villains know us and know what we did in P4", then they really would just be kinda.... there. It's my biggest complaint with the story mode, as it's pretty clear that the whole Labrys/Shadow Operatives plotline was planned out in advanced.

I'll agree. For the most part, the Investigation Team seemed like they're just there, except for the end game whammy like you mentioned. I really can't put it any better myself.

Granted, I am going from the standpoint of the 4 main story scenarios, Investigation Team/Shadow Operatives/Labrys/Elizabeth, I've only done the first three. I still need to do Elizabeth's story mode, but I already know how that ends. If anything, I feel that one helps set up for the next installment possibly more than the whole "the big bad knows us" thing at the end of the Shadow Operatives/Investigation Team. Getting the Fool card and going to try to save the P3Protag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom