• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona fans: What do you want out of Persona 5?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Persons 4-2 by the Persona B-team. Golden and Arena had very little participation from the actual Persona team. After the success of those games I can see those team members working on a proper sequel to P4. Kitajoh and Konishi on the OST, Doi on art direction etc.
But everything was pretty much made for them already, moreso for P4G. Arc Systems took care of the gameplay for P4A, and they already had the P4 pillow to fall back on for lore.

Dantis

But everything was pretty much made for them already, moreso for P4G. Arc Systems took care of the gameplay for P4A, and they already had the P4 pillow to fall back on for lore.

They'd only have to keep the gameplay the same as P4. P4 wasn't the first game they've worked on. They've shown how good they can be on games like Trauma Team and the P2 ports.. And what's going to sell more: Trauma Team 2 or Persona 4-2?

Aeana

They'd only have to keep the gameplay the same as P4. P4 wasn't the first game they've worked on. They've shown how good they can be on games like Trauma Team and the P2 ports.. And what's going to sell more: Trauma Team 2 or Persona 4-2?
Trauma Team 2, because I'd buy 800,000 copies myself.

Dantis

Can't argue with that.

Apparently I really need to play through P4A to see how a P4-2 would even make sense.

Or The Golden, because the epilogue is the most recent part of the canon. It ends how you'd expect though. No surprises. Well, there is, but nothing that affects the future of the franchise.

Alfredo

They should just combine the two and make the next Persona a Trauma Center/Team game.

Tomat

Or The Golden, because the epilogue is the most recent part of the canon. It ends how you'd expect though. No surprises. Well, there is, but nothing that affects the future of the franchise.

I heard that the epilogue of P4G and the story of P4A conflicted with each other (timeline wise). Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

fallagin

I want better dungeons and older characters, other than that I mostly trust the persona team to know exactly what I want.

Dantis

I heard that the epilogue of P4G and the story of P4A conflicted with each other (timeline wise). Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I haven't played Arena yet, but I know that there is at least SOME conflict.
The cast have new appearances in P4G, despite it taking place only two months after Arena. Naoto and Rise have huge boobs, Kanji has black hair and is smartly dressed and Teddie is a few inches taller.

Sophia

I haven't played Arena yet, but I know that there is at least SOME conflict.
The cast have new appearances in P4G, despite it taking place only two months after Arena. Naoto and Rise have huge boobs, Kanji has black hair and is smartly dressed and Teddie is a few inches taller.

Naoto always had the boobs tho. See Soejima's original art for her. And Kanji explicitly dies his hair. Or did, until the end...

That's how it works in Persona 4 Golden.

And Devil Survivor. And it's awesome.

Dantis

Naoto always had the boobs tho. See Soejima's original art for her. And Kanji explicitly dies his hair. Or did, until the end...

Obviously, I am aware of that, seeing as she's a lady, but on the Golden epilogue they are actually huge. Keep in mind you see how big her chest is in both the Christmas event AND the bath house event. They just made it enormous for the bizarre amount of Naoto fans. They've made everyone's bust bigger, but hers is the biggest change.

Sophia

Obviously, I am aware of that, seeing as she's a lady, but on the Golden epilogue they are actually huge. Keep in mind you see how big her chest is in both the Christmas event AND the bath house event. They just made it enormous for the bizarre amount of Naoto fans. They've made everyone's bust bigger, but hers is the biggest change.

I think that's just the perspective being a bit off in her case, although it's true that everyone's are bigger. I never would have even noticed it had you not pointed it out tho. So that's how insignificant it is. >_>;

Dantis

I think that's just the perspective being a bit off in her case, although it's true that everyone's are bigger. I never would have even noticed it had you not pointed it out tho. So that's how insignificant it is. >_>;

It's not perspective. The difference is very significant. And now you've made me feel like a perv... >__________>

Tomat

It's not perspective. The difference is very significant. And now you've made me feel like a perv... >__________>

That's because you are, but hey, at least you guys haven't posted comparison pictures yet.

I'm waiting.

remz

Persona 5: Animal House, greek life persona
Persona 6: Cubicle, Office Space persona
Persona 7: Old folks home persona

I'd kill to play Persona 5: Animal House but I'm expecting after the success of 3 and 4 the series just stays in highschool forever. :'(

shtkn

i can tell you what i DON'T want:
for the story to be tightly interconnected to 3 and 4. Cameos and small things are fine.

i fear that if they do make it very connected like P4 Arena, it's going to be fanfic levels of stupid since each of the characters will be very immutable. You could tell from some of the dialog in p4arena that they couldn't really do anything with the characters anymore:
"Man, you're awesome"
"You were awesome too, i was barely able to keep up!"
then plot point to next scene.

Dantis

You know what I think would be cool? A boss fight against the P3 or P4 party. They could even have Rise or Fuuka as their support, working against you, pointing out your weaknesses and the like.

That would be neat.

Tomat

You know what I think would be cool? A boss fight against the P3 or P4 party. They could even have Rise or Fuuka as their support, working against you, pointing out your weaknesses and the like.

That would be neat.

Even better, Demi-Fiend kills everyone.

Dantis

Even better, Demi-Fiend kills everyone.

I was being serious, it would be awesome.

You know what else would be awesome? An antagonist who had actual motivations and didn't have a complete 180 of their personality in the last fifth of the game.The antagonists on both P3 and P4 were fucking poor.

Sophia

It takes too long... They've only sketches of P5, by the time it comes out we're in full next gen.

I have a feeling that was just a total misunderstanding. There's no way they've only got merely sketches of a game they've been working on since before Catherine. =p

Dantis

I have a feeling that was just a total misunderstanding. There's no way they've only got merely sketches of a game they've been working on since before Catherine. =p

Agreed. They started full production last November. I doubt Soejima has only done sketches in all that time. I think it's more likely they meant illustrations.

Recall

You have to keep the turn based combat the moment it becomes free control action RPG means I no longer care.

I adore turn based combat, my ability to win a fight is down to my spell choice and character levels not wether or not I rolled out of way of the attack or screwed up my positioning.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
You have to keep the turn based combat the moment it becomes free control action RPG means I no longer care.

I adore turn based combat, my ability to win a fight is down to my spell choice and character levels not wether or not I rolled out of way of the attack or screwed up my positioning.

Also; Chie. Right? RIGHT?

Dresden

What? Horrible characters?

i04ppJ1dMQawc.gif

FSLink

Banned
i can tell you what i DON'T want:
for the story to be tightly interconnected to 3 and 4. Cameos and small things are fine.

i fear that if they do make it very connected like P4 Arena, it's going to be fanfic levels of stupid since each of the characters will be very immutable. You could tell from some of the dialog in p4arena that they couldn't really do anything with the characters anymore:
"Man, you're awesome"
"You were awesome too, i was barely able to keep up!"
then plot point to next scene.

I think it'd be fine if they did it like Persona 2: EP where it had a mix of old party members from P2:IS and new. But I would really like a game that bridges the P1 and P2 games with P3 and P4, but at the same time avoids being a fanfic like you stated.

Though I still feel they should do a Persona 4 Arena 2 first that helps bridge to P5 a bit better, and introduce more of the P3 cast and bring back a few people from P1 or P2.

FSLink

Banned
Give it 2's sense of plot, world map scale, and difficulty, 3's great social links, and dungeons like 4 and 4's party interactions along with Golden's enhancements like picking skills when fusing.
And female protagonist selectable and same sex romantic S-Links for both male and female protagonist.

EDIT: And add Catherine's VS mode as a minigame.

Gorgon

Beying more of a fan of story and social interaction, I'd prefer dungeons that aren't just random uninteresting crap that you grind your way through. Just a matter of taste, of course, but I'd prefer carefully crafted dungeons that are actualy interesting to explore in and of themselves this time.

As for the social links, I actually like them a lot so they can expand on that all they want. They are the stuff I enjoy the most, the day to day relation building, the unique social and storyline events, etc. Persona and some other Megaten games are the only japanese RPG stuff I can stomach.

I'd also like to see the series moving on to college. Fans get older and I can't honestly get that much enjoyment roleplaying kids in secondary school (or whatever you call it in the US/UK). Give a nice college setting and expand on that (room mates, activities, clubs to join, etc).

My 2 cents.

The plot points introduced in P4A are obviously going to lead into the next version of the game, or a P3A. Persona 5 will be something new. The question is if what direction they'll take it.

I want to be surprised. No continuation of the previous games' stories, and hopefully a fresh gameplay experience. I love P3 and P4 but I'd love to see the franchise re-invented the way it was between 2 and 3. I trust the Persona team to make it awesome. I'm just hoping that otaku pandering is kept to a minimum. An older cast would be great but I don't expect it as taking place in school is one of the elements that established If.../Persona.

Being new to this whole Persona racket (played/beat P3-FES, almost done with P4, and bought P4 Arena but haven't played yet), I really just want more of the same... although new cast, new setting, maybe a few throw-backs, but yeah. I don't mind the high school angle. It actually has a nostalgic feeling for me.

I will say, overall, I liked P3's story tone more. SO I do hope P5 has a bit of bleakness in there.

Question:

I no longer have a functioning PSP, so is Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PS1 worth buying for $50 (ugh)?
It looks pretty interesting, love the character designs I've seen, and I'm trying to get in as much Persona as I can. Does it do all the social linking stuff? I've been playing JRPGs since the SNES days, so I'm not concerned about more 'ancient' (as some have said) gameplay.

$50 is just a load for a PS1 game. :/

Top Bottom