• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2014 (PS3/360/PC/PSP) first screens and details - You will say wow

monkey666

Banned
Konami's been releasing demo's for PES games every year (2 of them on the PSN for 2013 actually), so I'd be surprised if they didn't for this game.

LNBL

It seems fine:

pes-20149cu1n.gif

By fine I mean better than FIFA.

ibvI7qADX53vNe.gif

You do realize that is Fifa 12? How can you compare that with PES 14?

rvy

Banned
You do realize that is Fifa 12? How can you compare that with PES 14?

FIFA 13 has about 80% of the same animation as FIFA 12, what a weak excuse. They added a few frames to already existing animation mostly. None of those are different, btw.
FIFA has been about weak inertia and no momentum ever since FIFA 2010, FIFA 13 is the same exact way.

feel

Well that's hardly shocking, Football Kingdom was released in 2004 and plays a better football game than FIFA 13. PES 2013 is crap though. Just like 2012, 2011 and 2010. Even 2009 is not safe.
The gameplay wasn't that great, specially compared to the godly PES games out at the time, but it was so awesome to score goals in Football Kingdom. Those nets...

Cwarrior

DerZuhälter;61159241 said:
Remember the last thread?

pes-20149cu1n.gif

m2QgX6e.jpg

L4qi5ek.png

9u5NGq3.jpg

0001954995469461288736.png

Konami needs to release a trailer ASAP for damage control. Beside the fact that the non-Bayern fans in Germany would rather buy a bag of STDs than a game with Bayern all over the cover, the released screens look like utter poo. Welcome back to the cycle guys.
Current stage: DENIAL

LoL it's the same disappointment every year just now it's rendered in fox enginelol.

CamHostage

Winning Eleven 2013 PSP sold 3x compared to 3DS version, so i don't understand why people are blaming Konami for its choice...

Right, the PSP version is I would assume for the Japanese market primarily.

Still, they have the Vita and 3DS engines, if they're going to go through the trouble for basically a roster update on the PSP product I'm not sure how much more it'd take to do the same for Vita or 3DS? The first game was mistimed in release on both platforms, this would be the first concurrent release on both platforms, correct? Seems like the next game would be the proving ground, the debut titles were easily missed in the launch and were old before release. I hope they reconsider PES portable down the road (PES on iPhone stopped as well, right?) The PSP ain't gonna last forever...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow I'm baffled... Shows how much research Konami does when the Community Manager pokes at the bad sales of FIFA on WiiU as another reason for their no-show on the platform, while he doesn't even know their main competitor's game was just last year's game reskinned instead of the "true" FIFA 13.

One of my FIFA buddies was trashing PES on Twitter and I was wondering why. I was about to write a response to him until I saw the screenshots, and more importantly, that Konami will not be doing a next-gen version.

I cant understand it. I really cant.

Adam's answer makes even less sense. I was anticipating a new PES because I was frankly bored and frustrated with FIFA.

spwolf

One of my FIFA buddies was trashing PES on Twitter and I was wondering why. I was about to write a response to him until I saw the screenshots, and more importantly, that Konami will not be doing a next-gen version.

I cant understand it. I really cant.

Adam's answer makes even less sense. I was anticipating a new PES because I was frankly bored and frustrated with FIFA.

Konami will have next-gen version, just not in September when they usually release their PES.

I think they are trying to show how they care about their current gen owners to offer them brand new gameplay and graphics engine, unlike Fifa, but it didnt turn out well with all the Wii U info getting Wii U owners annoyed :)

So little history about Adam Bhatti, way back when when Pro Evo was ontop he started a site called WENB = Winning Eleven Next Gen blog which was a fansite dedicated to gathering news from around the world. Konamis European marketing has always sucked for Pro Evo, even in its hey day, you had to go to forums like PesFan and Evo-Web where people would be able to collate the sparse interviews and token responses magazines got when they contacted their EU operations. Ironically enough when WENB formed Pes started to go majorly downhill, I was originally asked if I could help out during some Gamescom events, I knew Adam from Evo-Web and had some things in place that would have made coverage easier for the site. These didnt pan out because of scheduling, ended amicably. Pes started to very noticeably decline and eventually WENB turned completely on its end and started becoming the mouthpiece for Konami and their form of pr control. The site grew exponentially and as the games got worse they completely avoided questioning the series and openly lied about the versions they played, oversold them completely and drew a hell of alot of ire from the fans who realised Konami was completely ruining a game they once loved. Ill never forget they (Him and Suf) were invited to a playtest for 70% complete version of pro evo and told everyone the King was back, that it blew the competition out of the water and you had to preorder (conveniently through their newly minted Shopto ad on their page) and it came out and was completely panned by the fans. They defended themselves to the hilt and severed all links with actual fans.

Now he is Konamis Eu Pr guy and I trust nothing, nothing he says.

I knew this guys name sounded familiar!

Konami will have next-gen version, just not in September when they usually release their PES.

I think they are trying to show how they care about their current gen owners to offer them brand new gameplay and graphics engine, unlike Fifa, but it didnt turn out well with all the Wii U info getting Wii U owners annoyed :)

Question is, why spend time on creating a new engine for the current-gen at the expense of delaying next-gen development? People have been crying out for something with better visuals and animations, so you would expect they focus on the Xbone and PS4

Sou

This Adam guy is completely missing the point.

Better graphics is not the only thing the fans expect from the next gen version. We are all aiming for higher than that. It is only because after years and years of lies and let down, people lowered their expectations.

If at this point in time the only thing they can put out on next gen is a higher res version of the current game, we are in for a huge disappointment when the next gen version hits next year.

spwolf

Question is, why spend time on creating a new engine for the current-gen at the expense of delaying next-gen development? People have been crying out for something with better visuals and animations, so you would expect they focus on the Xbone and PS4

i bet new engine was done with next gen in mind as well.

in reality, both 360 and PS3 will be over 80 million before XO/PS4 launches, and PES is a game that sells to millions.

it is just that wii u thing spiraled out of control, and when you got nothing nice to say, it is better to say nothing... golden rule of PR.

they are probably trying to get people to get it on ps3 and not wait for ps4 release...

OryoN

This sure as heck doesn't give me hope when imagining how MGS5 will look on PS3. As impressive as the Fox Engine is, I thought at least a respectable level of its capabilities would remain intact on current-gen, but judging by PES, that was a bit too hopeful. Team Kojima puts a great amount of care in MGS, so maybe - just maybe - the Fox Engine won't be scaled down beyond recognition there.

Edumacation is a bootiful thang.

In football games, animations are very important to capture the various aspects of a player's body positioning and movement. For example, if there are no variations for running animations, each player is going to look like the other while in a wide angle camera view. If the animations are not good enough, you are going to get weird behaviour where the player slides around or 'snaps' into weird positions when trying to hit a ball.

While FIFA has improved their animations a lot, they use similar ones across many players leading to a sort of sameness which leads to the complaints of lack of player individuality. PES has tried to capture animations for the more famous players and have done a decent job, but at the expense of making the rest of the players look a bit clunky.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I enjoyed it, it's about as realistic as FIFA.

Thing is, compared to other sport games like NBA 2K, Top Spin and The Show both FIFA and PES are behind in realism, it's pretty sad because football is the biggest sport in the world, and actually not only that but look at The Show and NBA 2K they shit all over FIFA and PES in presentation, animations and even AI.

improvements from EA and Konami are in baby steps mode, I really think that 2K sport and San Diego Studio need to make football games.

rvy

Banned
Thing is, compared to other sport games like NBA 2K, Top Spin and The Show both FIFA and PES are behind in realism, it's pretty sad because football is the biggest sport in the world, and actually not only that but look at The Show and NBA 2K they shit all over FIFA and PES in presentation, animations and even AI.

improvements from EA and Konami are in baby steps mode, I really think that 2K sport and San Diego Studio need to make football games.

Yes, absolutely! It's too bad Sony and T2 don't seem interested in the biggest sport in the World.

aganu, I don't have a WENB account but I read your posts there, keep on it. I love it when people spread some common sense. It baffles my mind how the screens in the boxart are far superior to the screens they showed us.

pes-2014.jpg

monkey666

Banned
I may be alone but my team on PES2013 is all custom created characters. I figured out if you use the PS3 eye you can take a picture and then make Skin any color you want :D So I have quite a colorful team.

aganu

Yes, absolutely! It's too bad Sony and T2 don't seem interested in the biggest sport in the World.

aganu, I don't have a WENB account but I read your posts there, keep on it. I love it when people spread some common sense. It baffles my mind how the screens in the boxart are far superior to the screens they showed us.

http://www.dodaj.rs/f/1r/jf/3TGOXtDr/pes-2014.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Thanks, rvy. I appreciate that. The forums there have some decent posters and discussions. It's nice to be around there.

Yeah, I agree with you! It's baffling! Screens in the OP look too rough in comparison to the ones above. Wouldn't be surprised if they're directly captured from PS3 because you could spot the lack of AA in two of them. Here's another impressive snip from the cover:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tDzsRXW.png

In tomorrow's stream we will likely see the game in motion and I'm optimistic it'll look great, especially with the completely re-built animations and new impact engine.

rvy

Banned
Thanks, rvy. I appreciate that. The forums there have some decent posters and discussions. It's nice to be around there.

Yeah, I agree with you! It's baffling! Screens in the OP look too rough in comparison to the ones above. Wouldn't be surprised if they're directly captured from PS3 because you could spot the lack of AA in two of them. Here's another impressive snip from the cover:

tDzsRXW.png

In tomorrow's stream we will likely see the game in motion and I'm optimistic it'll look great, especially with the completely re-built animations and new impact engine.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. Tomorrow is gonna be great, if everything is up to par.

feel

tDzsRXW.png
Nice, I'm sure at the very least the PC version will look so good. Visual style looks miles better IMO than that FIFA14 next gen shit, I've always hated how FIFA looks and it made me sad to see them keeping it the same for next gen.

Blablurn

tDzsRXW.png

RIBERY RIBERY RIBERY

feel

Looks like that fifa impact thing, but not shitty. Can't wait to see how the game plays, was a bit disappointed by the new video, doesn't really give me an idea if the gameplay is any better than current football games. Individual animations, buzzwords and promises don't really do anything for me.

Jarnet87

The features they talked about seem good, have to reserve judgement till we can play it though. I'll definitely download a demo when it comes.

LebGuns

Banned
Eh, it doesn't look all that different. Kinda telling that the FOX Engine MGS5 videos we've been seeing were running on Next-Gen consoles. There is no way these screenshots look half as good as the MGS5 ones.

Spat_triate

Animations look great and ball physics seem to be much improved. The players actually try to correct their center of gravity in order to stay upright (instead of flopping stiffly to the ground).

adelante

I bet that thread title seems much more convincing now?

http://abload.de/img/pes-2014-5snbrg.gif[//IMG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/pes-2014-60lxnp.gif[//IMG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/pes-2014-7zgbub.gif[//IMG][/QUOTE]

Lets hope their first implementation of this new physics engine won't result in hilarious player collisions (see FIFA12's Player Impact Engine).

Amazing stuff so far, the series was sorely lacking in the animation department but the devs have now created a great foundation from which they'll add their usual AI/tactics stuff and continue building upon.

Nestunt

If it has the same non-controlled players positioning as the last years

what do physics matter?

Football is a defensive game (few "points" in one hour and half of game) and PES has been horrible in that department. And when they tried to correct that, they did it by making the offensive players borderline stupid and the one that controls the ball purely unresponsive with technical dudes like Messi or Ronaldo simply passing through defenders with no body or ball flick

I am not a nostalgic gamer

but PES is one of those evident cases where the past engine was better to represent tactical football

faridmon

My biggest gripe is the animation. Not saying FIFA has a good animation, but what happened to the old fluid PES animation? The ones shown are simply not realistically looking...

Haunted

Poor guy's butt is going to be hurting after today:

Adam Bhatti @Adam_Bhatti 1m
@eurogamer @wyp100 bit sneaky no? I was responding to fans with those questions,not official blurb for one of the biggest sites in the world

In response to:

Eurogamer.net @eurogamer 4m
UPDATE: Konami confirms no next-gen, Vita or 3DS PES 2014, explains why - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ne-screenshots …
"Wait, you mean anyone can read these twitter messages? oh god i am not good with computer"

4lejandro

Gah, I would KILL for a decent version of PES for my Vita :'(

Don't know why but I never liked the PSP versions, the lack of R2 kills me... maybe on the vita something could be worked out (using the screen to perform through passes or something like that). I hope they fix this and make a 2015 version.

Top Bottom