• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Dodd (aka famousmortimer) is running an Indigogo campaign for a new website

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

mort I wish I could help you on this right now but I don't get paid until next week.

One of the more unpleasant side effects of the #NoDRM campaign was mortimer getting a crapton of exposure and has since been in the public and corporate eye. I see this as a move to shift image from a rebel of sorts to a visionary.

I support you dude but I'm not sure if this will pan out well.

To be fair, most of the other guys helping him out have a sony bias as well...that I can remember. I could be very wrong though.

I have a preference which i'm very open about. The site which isn't even created yet has a bias? Holy shit!

If you think like this. If you love conspiracy theories. If you think that Titanfall is my favorite game right now because that's trying to fool people... please don't donate a cent. You will end up disappointed.

There is having a preference and there is denying facts. I am very fact oriented. I shouldn't even respond to this, so this will be the only time. Sony makes good games, and right now the xbox one has more great exclusives. My preference doesn't make me an idiot.

lazydom

I think people are confusing having a preference for Sony games and rabid fanboyism... If you paid attention to any of Pete's stuff, you'd realise he's just as critical of Sony's failings as Microsoft's.

Balb

More than anything else I'm interested in knowing more about the quality of writing. I need to know more about the preliminary staff and the general ethos for writing reviews. Will reviews be product evaluations? Will they be more open-ended like Grantland pieces? I don't visit too many gaming sites for the written pieces anymore and the writing quality is a major reason.

geordiemp

I have a preference which i'm very open about. The site which isn't even created yet has a bias? Holy shit!

If you think like this. If you love conspiracy theories. If you think that Titanfall is my favorite game right now because that's trying to fool people... please don't donate a cent. You will end up disappointed.

There is having a preference and there is denying facts. I am very fact oriented. I shouldn't even respond to this, so this will be the only time. Sony makes good games, and right now the xbox one has more great exclusives. My preference doesn't make me an idiot.

Chill, if you are going to start your own business, you need to start to think like an entrepreneur and how to get going and differentiate yourself (and rise above fanboy fighting unless that's your angle on the site)...

Focussing on kickstarter / donations or whatever it is ....is not really a business plan....how are you going to create content ? What readership are you targeting....? Are you going for ad revenue and how long can you go before you grow enough for revenue....?

Probably your best bet is find someone who has done this before and got a web site started and see if they can mentor / give advice on must do's and pitfalls...

Why not look at merging with someone or some ideas...I look at the GAF mag on here, interesting content...that would go down well on a web site...is there anyway you can get with them and form a web site and have different articles...

Well spoken, as always.

I'll have to stretch it, but you have my $15.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So why doesn't this site already exist? Why don't you start it as a small site on cheaper hosting and see if people actually want to read this content and you can actually support the site.

Zemm

I've read all this thread and I can only say:Listen to Jason Shcrier. Your 'normal' website with reviews and news etc is not going to do anything, and you continually brush off the suggestion of it potentially being a consumer advocacy based site with occasional leaks which is miles better an idea than what you are trying to do.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As for reviews, keep in mind that if your reviews come out a week late no one will care. I've had to put up reviews late in the past and I may as well not have bothered. Absolutely nobody will read them. Once again your time will be better spent elsewhere. Also, never once have I ever gotten in trouble for a low review score. That's largely a myth and I've never seen anyone in the industry actually get in trouble for it. The only problems that arises are that fans of a particular game will rip you to shreds if you give "their" game a low score, but nothing from publishers. The story of the corrupt media outlets is largely a fabrication from what I've seen.

Right. And on top of that the fact remains that you can toot your horn about how honest and consumer focused your reviews are, but none of that will change the fact they're just your subjective opinion put to words on a page. It's incredibly silly to think your reviews are of greater importance or more finely tuned objective analysis of video games that cannot be found elsewhere. Reviews are reviews. Fact of the matter is they're not original, even if they're your original thoughts, and the publishers are not going to flip shit if you give bad scores. Each publisher handles negative coverage a bit different from the others, but by and large they're okay dealing with low scores. It's also worth remembering that receiving review code is a privilege, not a right. Just because you host a website doesn't mean publishers have to send you shit. Or all shit. You'll get what you get and not receiving something does not mean publishers have some evil vendetta against you.

So again this is where I become disinterested in the website. A focus on consumer rights I think would be an excellent, original, and important direction, putting aside egos and soapbox opinions for exposure of real problems and concerns gamers have with the industry. Stuff like DRM, fabricated pre-release material, false advertising, anti-consumer policies, unfair pricing, and so on. But it's tough to combine the platform for that voice with generic reviews and other such press. You can't say your the voice of consumers with one breath, then with the other claim your reviews are too. They cant be, because they're just subjective opinions.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I still think its a good idea and can succeed without big backers behind it....example Gamersyde did it but Mr.Dodd does have some really great inside info imho that will make it popular. It's still different than the average review site because there wouldn't be any under the table influences going on...to me that is important to a lot of people.

I hardly consider Gamersyde successful in any shape or form, sadly. As a matter of fact we've been thinking about doing an indiegogo campaign to keep it running...

I am not sure I want to drop money on this much as I want to. It's a campaign where I am not confident in since USD=MYR is getting higher, and I wanna maximize what I get from spending.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In a way a lot of people recognize that publishers hold big game press by the balls controlling who gets early juicy info and early review code to try to use them as a preorder driving machine, but nobody seem to want reviews which are decoupled from publishers' pockets and the consequences that would imply (no assured review before release)... It is puzzling...

Yeah I say throw the review / preview angle of the site out the window. Turn it into a hub representing the voice of "the consumer", cause I definitely see we don't get enough of that on most other sites (though we do on some forums).

In any case, best of luck on this endeavor Mort.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah I say throw the review / preview angle of the site out the window. Turn it into a hub representing the voice of "the consumer", cause I definitely see we don't get enough of that on most other sites (though we do on some forums).

In any case, best of luck on this endeavor Mort.

Good suggestions and all, but isn't pushing for a format where people are not manipulated through hands on and glowing previews to drive pre orders in consumers' best interests?

Raist

Banned
To be fair, most of the other guys helping him out have a sony bias as well...that I can remember. I could be very wrong though.

As opposed to every single journalist/website out there being absolutely neutral?

Everyone has biases/preferences. The real question is, can they keep this from affecting their work.

Tripon

After thinking about it, I tossed in $5 deciding against the $15 tier since I ultimately decided I didn't care for a private forum access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom