• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Dodd (aka famousmortimer) is running an Indigogo campaign for a new website

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am aware that we usually don't want promotions here for crowdfunding campaigns that are not directly about actual games, but I feel like this one is worthy of of our attention nonetheless. I checked with the staff if that's ok.

Our fellow gaffer Pete Dodd (aka famousmortimer) is currently running an Indiegogo campaign to kickstart a new website about video games. In the light of all the criticism of gaming journalism that is frequently voiced on GAF, the concept behind his website is particularly interesting.

That's what he writes on the campaign's website. Check out the website for the full text.

famousmortimer said:
The problem:

A major failing of the gaming media is that they are beholden to the companies they cover. Whether they fear being blacklisted and not receiving review copies, or that the journalist in question is using their platform as a springboard to get a job in the industry proper, there often seems to be a conflict of interest: review scores that are far too high, repeating press releases as if they are news, and dismissing facts completely because they go against the narrative they are trying to build... This is a problem and it seems like gamers have far less trust in these sites because of it.

The problem is that a website needs to play ball with publishers to have any chance of success. If you don't get your review up when the embargo is lifted, you will receive far fewer clicks than you would otherwise. If you are critical of a company and they blacklist you so that you no longer get press releases, early screens or videos, or other such materials, it puts you behind your competitors. Life is a thousand times harder for small sites or blacklisted sites because they don't get the access of the bigger sites who have this symbiotic relationship with developers.

Dodd Scientifics will not be about any of that.

My idea:

The site I want to create will be strictly independent. There are certain things we will go along with that are the industry standard, like embargoes and NDA's, but we will not shy away from reporting a story because it may damage our relationship with a publisher. Nor will we fail to give a game a review score we think it deserves because it will anger the publisher, the fanboys, and lessen our chance of being on Metacritic. If we are blacklisted, we will tell you. If there are gaming companies who refuse to give us any access we will write stories about that. This whole underbelly of the industry needs to be exposed and eradicated if "games journalism" is to survive. And as an active member at NeoGAF, Reddit, and other popular forums, I'm well aware that the bigger gaming sites are not as invaluable as they may think they are. They (and I) need you a lot more than you need them.

I want to do everything that a gaming website shouldn't. This is an approach that is currently believed to be unsustainable. I'm not arguing that it isn't. What I'm arguing is that irrespective of this, it needs to exist, and it currently does not. There are some wonderful independent voices in our community but not a central hub where you can reliably hear from an outsider's perspective. I've been referred to as "industry insider Pete Dodd" when websites publish my tweets as stories, but I want to be the opposite. I don't want to be a part of the industry, I want to look at it from the view of an outsider. Or, as you may know them as... consumers.

I would also like to use the website as a platform for talented people in need of exposure. This could range from an indie developer using the site as developer diary to things like gaming related artists, podcasts, comics, and of course writers. In addition, whenever we pull a news story that has been posted elsewhere we will go above and beyond to credit the source. We won't just say "Source: Neogaf" with a link. We would mention the user by name and even link to that person's personal site if it is in their bio. Likewise if it's pulled from another site we will of course link to the original article but will also name the writer as the source. Sources should be given more credit than they currently are. We plan to do our best to contribute to that.

This is what he wrote in the kickstarter OT, which naturally didn't get much attention.

My project to turn doddscientifics into a staffed, actual website, is on indiegogo.

The idea is simple and based a lot off of how Tyler Malka described NeoGAF in the gametrailer's documentary. We will operate without fear of being blacklisted. If we are blacklisted, we will discuss who blacklisted us and why. I don't want it to just be a site reporting on how crooked gaming journalism is, but whenever it tries to get crooked on us I plan to make it public.

Other influences include how Rock, Paper, Shotgun cover the pc gaming space and how PastaPadre covers sports games. Also, Fugazi is the baseline for everything that is right in turning creativity into a business.

We also have some interesting ideas on delivering news, reviews, videos, and other things.

If you give a hoot: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dodd-scientifics/x/6501995

My twitter.

The site twitter.

If you don't know Pete, he started #PS4NoDRM, is a level-headed, rational guy with industry contacts, has frequently posted here interesting insights into the industry, writes a blog and has a podcast which I can both recommend. I like his stuff and I would like to see him have a shot at this, regardless whether his "unsustainable" website will work or not.

I was on with boogie (aka Francis) last night if anyone gives a flop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmKiWE3t-pg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I won't contribute (because i never do) but i wish him the best of luck. What he's trying to do is going to be tough but I'd like to see what comes of it.

harSon

Banned
He's better off becoming a Wikileaks like entity, because as others have said, he's going to have ZERO support from publishers. Especially as a start up with no industry clout. As Shane used to say, it's nice to want things, but I just don't see this panning out how he's envisioning it to pan out. I wish him all the luck in the world though.

bob page

$500 Xbox One tier.

Amazing.

PS. I'm all for his idea and he's not asking for much but it'll never survive if he keeps the name Dodd Scientifics.

He's better off becoming a Wikileaks like entity, because as others have said, he's going to have ZERO support from publishers. Especially as a start up with no industry clout. As Shane used to say, it's nice to want things, but I just don't see this panning out how he's envisioning it to pan out. I wish him all the luck in the world though.

well he's been consistently giving out correct info for a while now. publishers might not back him but he has connections with enough people on the inside.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it's a hard ask coming from someone whose leaks have always had a proprietary seal of approval, even when totally inaccurate.

i've always seen him as something of a rainmaker.

komplanen

I'm personally not at all interested in his opinion (nor anyone's whose opinion I don't already have access to) but he's not asking for much and he has his head on his shoulders. I'm sure he has his fans and will serve them well so I guess that's that.

ElTorro

First-class ticket to zero access from publishers

That might be true. However, if we want to see more independent gaming journalism, it's up to us to actively support efforts that try to go in that direction; either by paying subscriptions that compensate for the lack of hype-driven traffic for early-access game coverage, or at least by supporting the website with clicks even if the coverage of games lags behind what other gaming outlets provide.

It's up to the website to validate to that support with a consequent stance for more transparency in the coverage of games and the industry.

zhorkat

What review score you give a game affects your chances of being on Metacritic? Weird. Also, boo at giving review scores at all.

Hope the site turns out as he envisions, though.

Bsigg12

well he's been consistently giving out correct info for a while now. publishers might not back him but he has connections with enough people on the inside.

Does he have enough to run a website with it though? If he's not constantly providing updates and information and ends up blacklisted by most publishers, his site may struggle with clicks.

I wish him all the luck creating a site with integrity but it's going to be damn hard to maintain it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Why not create a site on cheaper hosting and show people you're worth supporting.

entremet

I don't get the review score criticisms. They're usually spot on as an aggregate. TLOU, 3DWorld, GTA5--all great games from last year and amongst the highest rated.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I don't agree with his opinions a lot of the time, but I appreciate what he's trying to do with this website. Thanks for posting this ElTorro as I'd like to see his site happen.

That might be true. However, if we want to see more independent gaming journalism, it's up to us to actively support efforts that try to go in that direction; either by paying subscriptions that compensate for the lack of hype-driven traffic for early-access game coverage, or at least by supporting the website with clicks even if the coverage of games lags behind what other gaming outlets provide.

It's up to the website to validate to that support with a consequent stance for more transparency in the coverage of games and the industry.

Well said.

rvy

Banned
I don't get the review score criticisms. They're usually spot on as an aggregate. TLOU, 3DWorld, GTA5--all great games from last year and amongst the highest rated.

Gaming reviews for triple a titles aren't about informing the consumer, they're about selling you the game.

BibiMaghoo

Good luck to him, I wish him and any staff well.

I like to think there are already well known individuals out there doing exactly this. That the trend is already getting better than it has been, and will continue to do so.

Sydle

famousmortimer said:
I've been referred to as "industry insider Pete Dodd" when websites publish my tweets as stories, but I want to be the opposite. I don't want to be a part of the industry, I want to look at it from the view of an outsider. Or, as you may know them as... consumers.

Very curious if he would actually use that perspective as guardrails for the site and provide good content. It has GIantBomb-like intentions, which I support every year with a yearly subscription, so I suppose there are ways to monetize it where he wouldn't have to give into publishers.

I'd actually been in support of him if I trusted he wouldn't resort to posting insider rumors for click bait like he does here and on Twitter. When I see his name I just remember how he drudges up anything negative about Xbox for attention. If I thought he was actually capable of an objective point of view based on facts, and that he'd stick to it even when tempting click bait comes his way, then I'd be interested. However, past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior, so thumbs down for him spear heading this initiative.

bob page

I know....hence the yikes.

I thought the $8,500 would be all towards the web development. Not $500.

Gotcha- originally thought you were implying $500 was a lot to ask for.

Given the grassroots style of this site, maybe he can pull off a design with $500. Probably won't need to be too elegant at first & can evolve over time.

Boke1879

it's a hard ask coming from someone whose leaks have always had a proprietary seal of approval, even when totally inaccurate.

i've always seen him as something of a rainmaker.

Even if he's been wrong at times. He'll have my full support and respect. Simply because of #PS4NoDRM

akaoni

Banned
Five represents the pinnacle of the genre and will likely pull in non-fans.

Four equals a strong game that fans of the genre will enjoy greatly.

Just reading through it this caught my eye, the 5 stars sounds like it's going to be used for neutered games with big budgets or something.... Maybe someone can make it sound more reasonable for me?

Omega

Banned
Just reading through it this caught my eye, the 5 stars sounds like it's going to be used for neutered games with big budgets or something.... Maybe someone can make it sound more reasonable for me?

Not sure if english is your first language..but neutered and pinnacle are not synonyms

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Even if he's been wrong at times. He'll have my full support and respect. Simply because of #PS4NoDRM

i think ultimately there are enough playstation fans who remember him for this and have been enamoured with his constant ability to find bad news about the competition while dusting over sony's tracks (anyone remember DLNA? 6GB of available RAM?) to get himself funded.

Website design - $500??

Yikes.

That has since been donated for free.

And the name dodd scientics is up for debate. I don't like it, my wife does. The private forum for supporters will ultimately help me decide. Many people are on board to write so having my name in the title (which is mostly because I like 50's science type imagery/advertising) feels weird.

I was on with boogie (aka Francis) last night if anyone gives a flop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmKiWE3t-pg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I am pretty happy to support his effort. I think we need more of this type of content. Also, if its good for gamers we should support it irrespective of it's odds of success (publisher support our not). Who wants to be the type of person that only does what's right when they know they can win.

ElTorro

To be honest I thought thats what I go here for, gaf

Reading GAF is different, though. Too often, the best posts on GAF are buried deep in long threads, and the vast majority of gaffers never reads them. A professionally run website with articles from several authors trying to meet the outlined standards doesn't have the background noise that GAF has.

I'm all for this idea and I wish him the best, but I gotta admit I have a hard time seeing FM (or anyone for that matter) actually being able to make a living of a website that isn't afraid to piss of publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom