• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore on Blu-ray and the illusion of choice

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Cheesemeister said:
soawesome.png

I was waiting for that pic. :D

chriskzoo

Banned
m0dus said:
You seem to be missing the forest for the trees--in 'personalizing the experience,' he is referring to deciding WHAT your 360 is to do for you. A game player, or a game + HD movie player. pretty simple and straightforward.

Right and so does Sony - you can buy Blu-Ray movies, or not. The format is still needed by developers and games like Resistance prove as much.:lol

Taurus

Well, anyway this guy is like Albert Einstein compared to Phil Harrison and Jack Tretton. I can't believe it has been almost a week since the last time they humiliated themselves and the company they represent.

chriskzoo said:
Right and so does Sony - you can buy Blu-Ray movies, or not. The format is still needed by developers and games like Resistance prove as much.:lol

"So does Sony" what?

These are the verb clauses in that paragraph:
a) missing the forest for the trees
b) personalizing the experience
c) deciding what your 360 is to do for you

Pick one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
m0dus said:
I don't think so. Here's the summary:

choice = (game console) vs (game console + HDdvd movie player.)

Not (HDdvd movie player) vs (Blu-ray movie player)

Apparently this is incredibly hard to grasp.

C4Lukins

Peter could describe the 360 as the "Death Laser 400 giggaram savior of civilization 9 billion," and still have a good couple dozen pr interviews left before he reached Sony levels of bs. Lets call this minus 1, or minus 4 for Peter. 50 more to go....

Rorschach

if they're fortunate enough to be the small minority right now that have the equipment to take advantage of the new generation of high-definition movie playback
...wtf. Very small minority? Then who are they selling the HD ERA to?

Pellham said:
Wait a sec, are you blaming EGM for what Peter Moore said?

Nope. Someone posted a "Zing" picture as though Moore were being owned by the question that EGM asked. I'm suggesting EGM made a silly interpretation of the Moore quote.

blindrocket said:
:lol
Well I guess it was time for MS to say something stupid.

It sounds more like EGM said something stupid. There are a number of posts already that show the huge flaw in logic, so I won't bother repeating it myself.

"Because the consumer is choosing HD-DVD" (laughs all around)

:lol I can totally picture this scene in my mind and it is quite funny.

doicare said:
Didn't he get the memo bluray is out selling hd dvd?

Again, MS' approach to choice is whether or not you want to enter the Hi-Def Movie Disc arena AT ALL. Your sentence is basically, to them, the equivalent of proclaiming a resurgence in the vinyl market because a Jay-Z 12" outsold one by Nas.

Rhindle

Others at Microsoft have said they may release a Blu Ray drive at some point "if the market demands it" (or something to that effect). Keeping games and movie playback separated allows them to keep their options open, while supporting HD-DVD for now.

AstroLad said:
Apparently this is incredibly hard to grasp.

While he was indeed talking about Xbox 360 vs Xbox 360 plus HDDVD drive, many of Moore's comments are about the HDDVD vs Bluray war. It's easy to make the mistake.

aeolist

Banned
I'd have marginally more respect for Microsoft if they came out and said "We are backing HD-DVD entirely because Sony is backing Blu-Ray"

I wonder how old this interview is? It could be from a month to 2 months ago. Thus peter wouldn't know about bluray outselling hddvd back then.

Mrbob

I know some peepz want to keep cosoles and movie hardware support, and thats cool. But the lines blur when the PS3 is the best hi def movie player available. So not only do you have a game machine, but the most feature packed, fleshed out, and best quality hi def movie player in one package.

Rhindle said:
Others at Microsoft have said they may release a Blu Ray drive at some point "if the market demands it" (or something to that effect). Keeping games and movie playback separated allows them to keep their options open, while supporting HD-DVD for now.

They'll never support Blu Ray. If they would have I wouldn't have bought a PS3 as soon as I did. MS just trying to muddy the HD movie market, and it pisses me off with their attempted sabotage. But it backfired because Blu Ray is currently kicking HD DVDs ass.

PjotrStroganov said:
While he was indeed talking about Xbox 360 vs Xbox 360 plus HDDVD drive, many of Moore's comments are about the HDDVD vs Bluray war. It's easy to make the mistake.

Like this one?

Look... we're not going to get embroiled in a movie-playback war. We're very clear on this. If you've already got your 360, $199 put you in the high-def movie playback scenario, but i'm not burdening the box with it as our competitor's done. This is about games. It's not about movies.

leehom

BenjaminBirdie said:
Again, MS' approach to choice is whether or not you want to enter the Hi-Def Movie Disc arena AT ALL.
I think we all know this, this is why we think EGM's question is FUNNY. EGM is asking, If your giving us a choice in HD movie playback, why not give us the option for Blu Ray as well?

Mrbob said:
MS just trying to muddy the HD movie market, and it pisses me off with their attempted sabotage. But it backfired because Blu Ray is currently kicking HD DVDs ass.

Don't people sabatoge something in order to gain something? What does MS' 360 positioning lose if Blu-Ray "wins"? (Keeping in mind, such victory at this point is the equivalent of, say, a Nas 12" outselling a Jay-Z 12" when measuring the Vinyl v. CD "war".)

_leech_ said:
If they don't want to get into the format war why not be neutral instead of picking a side?

Are they "embroiling themselves" into the network war by showing CSI on Video Marketplace instead of Lost?

Mrbob

BenjaminBirdie said:
Don't people sabatoge something in order to gain something? What does MS' 360 positioning lose if Blu-Ray "wins"? (Keeping in mind, such victory at this point is the equivalent of, say, a Nas 12" outselling a Jay-Z 12" when measuring the Vinyl v. CD "war".)

They lose power. Sony and MS both want to be the center of your living room. Blu Ray becomes another reason to buy a PS3, then Sony sells more systems and Sony gets money that MS wants. They are so scared Sony is going to control the living room that they'll be phased out. But it seems like something dumb to be scared of as the PS3 isn't going to replace a PC anytime soon.

If MS doesn't care about the movie market, then they have two choices.

1) Not release an add on. But they already have.

2) Release a Blu Ray add on to complement the hd dvd add on.

LJ11

aeolist said:
I think the better question would be whether they would make a Blu-Ray addon if HD-DVD tanks

But it's not according to Moore. HD-DVD is being chosen by the consumer, or at least that's what Moore wants us to believe. They take no sides. Fair and balanced. :D

Big-E

LJ11 said:
But it's not according to Moore. HD-DVD is being chosen by the consumer, or at least that's what Moore wants us to believe. They take no sides. Fair and balanced. :D

:lol

Mrbob said:
They lose power. Sony and MS both want to be the center of your living room. Blu Ray becomes another reason to buy a PS3, then Sony sells more systems and Sony gets money that MS wants.

If MS doesn't care about the movie market, then they have two choices.

1) Not release an add on. But they already have.

2) Release a Blu Ray add on to complement the hd dvd add on.

The problem, though, (I mean, you're right) is that the format war is a war that is going to be very long and very drawn out and a High Def Movie Disc format is not going to be a really compelling factor in console choice for a while. Whereas a gaming console can gain or lose prominence in a much shorter period of time. That's the way into the center of your living room for a console. If Blu-Ray does "win" than, absolutely, there will be a blu-ray add on in 2010.

Nostromo

TTP said:
Another time, with Harrison, was like talking with a slightly more human version of Agent Smith. He has the incredible ability to formulate perfect sentences and pick the right words on the fly like some Superior Entity his feeding his brain with press releases that would normally take a year to write and polish, but here he creates them in real time (at 120fps). Awesome mind.
You Are In Love (tm)

aeolist

Banned
LJ11 said:
It's true! 100% of 360 customers who bought a high-def movie format addon for their console chose HD-DVD out of all the awesome alternatives!

LJ11 said:

The consumer is choosing the HD-DVD drive, is what I'm pretty sure he was saying, especially since the next sentence was "We're not embroiling ourselves in the format war."

Rhindle

Mrbob said:
They'll never support Blu Ray. If they would have I wouldn't have bought a PS3 as soon as I did. MS just trying to muddy the HD movie market, and it pisses me off with their attempted sabotage. But it backfired because Blu Ray is currently kicking HD DVDs ass.
Sure they'd support Blu Ray, if it emerged as the clear winner in the market. There would be no reason not to.

For now, there's no real downside in sticking with the HD DVD drive. It ticks off the right box on the features list, and leaves their options open.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
haha. that is some dizzying spin -- he's trying simultaneously to claim that hd-dvd is the winner of a format war it's losing, that microsoft isn't even participating in this format war, that no one wants hd movies, and that the hd-dvd add-on is nonetheless a terrific option for 360 owners.

aeolist

Banned
drohne said:
haha. that is some dizzying spin -- he's trying simultaneously to portray hd-dvd as the winner of a format war it's losing, to suggest that no one wants hd movies, and to suggest that the hd-dvd add-on is a terrific option for 360 owners. it's like a lucid dream!
My favorite part is how only a tiny minority of their customers have the equipment needed to use a high-def format

LJ11

BenjaminBirdie said:
The consumer is choosing the HD-DVD drive, is what I'm pretty sure he was saying, especially since the next sentence was "We're not embroiling ourselves in the format war."

MS is knee deep in the format war, they just chose to keep their console out of it for the most part.

You should speak for Moore more often, because you did a much better job describing the realities in your previous post than Moore did. Moore was flip-flopping/spinning in that article instead of staying on point/message.

tanod

when is my burrito
This "Microsoft gives you a choice" vs. Sony "blah blah blah" would actually make sense if Sony had put the blu-ray player in the PS3 but insisted that all games are to be made on a DVD.

Silly Peter. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rhindle said:
Sure they'd support Blu Ray, if it emerged as the clear winner in the market. There would be no reason not to.

For now, there's no real downside in sticking with the HD DVD drive. It ticks off the right box on the features list, and leaves their options open.

Right, it's called "hedging your bets." MS has no need to follow the Sony model of pushing a playback format (neither did Sony, of course, but they did anyway). The add-on is a clear hedge, and as much as some might want to characterize it as a huge move in favor of HD-DVD but it's more or less just a hedge. I mean MS certainly isn't going to give Sony a helping hand while they're struggling through these PS3 growing pains. To assert otherwise is just ridiculous, but it makes for interesting print I suppose.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Are they "embroiling themselves" into the network war by showing CSI on Video Marketplace instead of Lost?

False analogy much?

If MS could sell "Lost" and "CSI" they certainly would.

Conversely, there is nothing preventing MS from offering a Blu-ray box just like the HD DVD box, Microsoft simply refuses too.

If your analogy was reflected by the reality of the "DVD war," MS would have the ability to sell both "Lost" and "CSI" on the marketplace, but would ultimately decide to only sell "CSI." Then Microsoft would go around telling everyone that they aren't selling "Lost" on the Marketplace because it's not as good as "CSI."

Mrbob

I guess I wouldn't care what he said if it wasn't the bold faced lie about consumers choosing HD DVD.

Consumers are actually choosing about a 70/30 ratio in favor of Blu Ray at the moment.

But whatever here is hoping this whole format mess gets done in 2007.

m0dus wins the thread.

chriskzoo said:

I know this doesn't need to be gone over again, but the extra cost associated with a feature the user might not CHOOSE to use is killing software (and hardware) sales worldwide.

But I guess some of you don't care about losing out on exclusives as long as the games you get have higher res textures (which Resistance really doesn't...)

bud

m0dus said:
Um, no. The choice is the issue of the consumer choosing to purchase what he or she will use.

Silly tanod :)

What about people who'd like to watch blu-ray movies?

Moore said in an interview somewhere that they could release a brd-drive :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AdmiralViscen said:
m0dus wins the thread.

m0dus missed the point that EGM was focussing on the (lack of) choice beyond your choice to have HD movies with your game console or not. MS is not supporting your choice there, you only have one.

Simple point, not much more to it.

Mrbob said:
I guess I wouldn't care what he said if it wasn't the bold faced lie about consumers choosing HD DVD.

Consumers are actually choosing about a 70/30 ratio in favor of Blu Ray at the moment.

But whatever here is hoping this whole format mess gets done in 2007.

Give the way print magazines work, this interview might not be very recent. It could have been from before the sales-since-inception takeover by blu-ray.

bud

m0dus said:
I can see a few:

-cost to manufacturer
-cost of confusing the consumer by offering 2 entirely different formats (what would be next in EGM? "Peter, why doesn't MS offer a HYBRID drive that plays both??")
-cost of having to pay your #1 rival potential licensing fees for every unit sold

what about OUR THE choice?

Pristine_Condition said:
False analogy much?

If MS could sell "Lost" and "CSI" they certainly would.

Conversely, there is nothing preventing MS from offering a Blu-ray box just like the HD DVD box, Microsoft simply refuses too.

If your analogy was reflected by the reality of the "DVD war," MS would have the ability to sell both "Lost" and "CSI" on the marketplace, but would ultimately decide to only sell "CSI." Then Microsoft would go around telling everyone that they aren't selling "Lost" on the Marketplace because it's not as good as "CSI."

Nothing?

Really? Do you think sorting out how to get an HD-DVD drive to work patched through a 360 required not a single dollar of investment?

It's like saying there is NOTHING keeping MS from offering online multiplayer for free.

They DON'T have the instant ability to do both, just like the reason they have CSI on VMP and not Lost is because they don't have the license rights and business relationship with Touchstone in place.

They've decided to go with HD-DVD for some obvious reasons, but the reason they're not doggedly persuing both is because the HiDef Movie market is just realllllly tiny right now.

gofreak said:
m0dus missed the point that EGM was focussing on the (lack of) choice beyond your choice to have HD movies with your game console or not. MS is not supporting your choice there, you only have one.

Simple point, not much more to it.

Why does "choice" have to refer to choice of movie formats?? MS offers two alternatives: console with no HD movie playback, or console plus addon with movie playback.

There is a choice there.

Top Bottom