• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore said: "PlayStation did a brilliant job of FUD-ing Sega and Dreamcast: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Unlike Sony's Playstation platform, MS-DOS and Windows OS platforms enable PC hardware cloners to have a unified software + boot loader ecosystem which resulted in healthy PC hardware market competition. Your argument is hypocritical.

Read some history, watch some documentaries on computing in the 80's. Look at how Windows came to be!

As to "healthy PC hardware market competition", that was basically down to IBM fucking up and not nailing down the original PC's specifications and hardware vendors cloning Intel's hardware. MS main contribution was to put themselves at the center of the spiderweb and create a near monopoly for themselves in the OS space. This in spite of the fact that their offerings were typically inferior to their competitors.

MS got to be huge by being the dirtiest players in the game. That's a historical fact.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I guess I find that surprising. I'll admit that I don't follow Sony announcements like a dedicated fanboy, so I may not be picking up on their attitude shift post-PS3. As someone who was once a Nintendo fanboy, I used to feel threatened by Sony Playstation. For one, Sony's feelings regarding Nintendo were pretty brazen twenty years ago. I've been sure that even today Sony dislikes Nintendo. I believe we've seen some of this in the form of Monster Hunter games not releasing in North America for up to a year after the Japan release, and then there's Persona 5 not releasing on Switch just because. Frankly, I suspect that a collective of Japanese video game companies are still not terribly cozy with Nintendo. Today, I can recognize that that is largely Nintendo's fault, though.

Still, if civil order ever falls in Japan, I expect there will be a large ninja/shogun battle between Sony and Nintendo. Their animosities have just been stewing quietly all these years. ;)

Things have changed a lot. Modern Sony doesn’t have the arrogance, and is focused on throwing you a successful pitch for their console. It is much, much less off-putting. When they talk about their systems, it’s in realistic, fascinating terms, that get you excited based on reality, instead of rhetoric.

rnlval

Read some history, watch some documentaries on computing in the 80's. Look at how Windows came to be!

As to "healthy PC hardware market competition", that was basically down to IBM fucking up and not nailing down the original PC's specifications and hardware vendors cloning Intel's hardware. MS main contribution was to put themselves at the center of the spiderweb and create a near monopoly for themselves in the OS space. This in spite of the fact that their offerings were typically inferior to their competitors.

MS got to be huge by being the dirtiest players in the game. That's a historical fact.
Note that I own an Amiga 500 in 1989 during my early primary school years.

Motorola's 68K based desktop microcomputers such as Commodore-Amiga (68K), Atari ST, Apple Mac (68K), Sharp X68000, HP Unix 68K, SUN Unix 68K and Spectrum QL (68K) are software platform isolated from each other while MS-DOS based X86 PC has VHS clone army like results.

68K's software ecosystem isolation problem still exists on the PowerPC platform when I have licensed AmigaOS4.1 PowerPC OS software and I can't install it on IBM Power9 + Raptor Blackbird motherboard. Fking PowerPC vendors want to be wannabee Apple.

The fact remains, Sony's PlayStation platform does not enable unified software ecosystem clone PCs to exist.

According to "Direct from DELL" book, the majority of IBM PC's IP was from Intel. IBM's IP in the original IBM PC is the BIOS.

IBM MCA bus another attempt to re-control the PC market with a fking licensing cost and PC clone industry selected Intel's VL-Bus and EISA bus instead.

IBM was late to the 386 based PC due to IBM's attempt to protect its 32bit minicomputer business.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Dreamcast had no EA support which was a huge thing back then.

The lack of EA was a major blow for public perception, but let’s not kid ourselves. EA would have been as lazy and hesitant as most of the major software publishers at the time. A Dreamcast Madden would have been a slightly modified N64 port.

And, after Sega goes under anyway, reports of the “cancelled” 2K Sports titles gets out, and Sega fanboys spend the next 20 years whining about that.

Sega just couldn’t win. The hardware business was far too expensive and the company had taken on far too much debt and losses.

If you look at the US sales numbers, DC did very well in 1999. The games were selling well and the future looked bright. Then the year 2000 rolled in and everything just stopped cold. Games stopped selling, software publishers pulled back, offering only PSX/N64 ports, and Sega’s big gambles on Shenmue and Seganet just didn’t pay off. Oh, and that piracy problem surely didn’t help.

Azurro

Banned
Zombie thread says:

ykE5MRT.gif

The lack of EA was a major blow for public perception, but let’s not kid ourselves. EA would have been as lazy and hesitant as most of the major software publishers at the time. A Dreamcast Madden would have been a slightly modified N64 port.

And, after Sega goes under anyway, reports of the “cancelled” 2K Sports titles gets out, and Sega fanboys spend the next 20 years whining about that.

Sega just couldn’t win. The hardware business was far too expensive and the company had taken on far too much debt and losses.

If you look at the US sales numbers, DC did very well in 1999. The games were selling well and the future looked bright. Then the year 2000 rolled in and everything just stopped cold. Games stopped selling, software publishers pulled back, offering only PSX/N64 ports, and Sega’s big gambles on Shenmue and Seganet just didn’t pay off. Oh, and that piracy problem surely didn’t help.

A lot of this WAS due to the PS2.

I remember seeing a Dreamcast for the first time in a used video game store (they sold some new games as well). I saw NFL 2K playing in replay mode on a tv above their front desk. It looked amazing.

But there was no demand. PS1 outsold the Dreamcast even after they dropped the price to 99 dollars. People were buying a previous-gen system that cost more than a next-gen system. That's because PS1 had the games. that gave it value.

Sega probably didn't think they needed to include Saturn backward compatibility because the system didn't sell well, but that would have at least baked in some userbase. The Saturn had more success in Japan, but the Dreamcast had none.

The lack of 3rd party support was a big problem at the time. 2K sports really didn't elevate until much later, though many felt even then they were better than EA Sports, but Shenmue, Resident Evil Code Veronica... Sega did try.

But as soon as Dragon Quest 7 came out on PS1 and expectations for Onimusha and FFX came out for PS2 it was game over for Dreamcast in Japan. PS2 hadn't even really got its legs before the Dreamcast got discontinued.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus

Sony were masters of b.s. hype. They knew how to sucker gamers who listed after fancy computer specs and demo reels, yet knew next to nothing how any of these magical boxes worked. But we already knew that from the PSX era. Remember that dinosaur?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Sony were masters of b.s. hype. They knew how to sucker gamers who listed after fancy computer specs and demo reels, yet knew next to nothing how any of these magical boxes worked. But we already knew that from the PSX era. Remember that dinosaur?

All of them do this. Remember the Project Milo Kinect demo that Microsoft said was real lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom