• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter R. de Vries cracks Natalee Holloway case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember this old case about the disappearance of a high-school girl on Aruba? Seems it is solved after all.

Reporter Claims to Crack Natalee Holloway Case
Aruba Reopens Investigation Into Teen's Disappearance

After a Dutch journalist declared that his private investigation had solved the mysterious disappearance of American teenager Natalee Holloway, the chief prosecutor in Aruba announced today that he is reopening the case.

Reporter Peter R. de Vries said he used a sophisticated network of hidden cameras in what he called an "undercover operation" to obtain evidence that he claimed "has solved the mystery" of Holloway's disappearance on May 30, 2005.

The mystery behind the disappearance of the blond teenager has eluded efforts by the Aruba police and even the FBI for more than two years.

De Vries said he showed some of the key pieces of evidence to the Office of the Public Prosecutor of Aruba last Thursday, and the island's chief prosecutor, Hans Mos, announced today that he has "intensified [the] investigation of Natalee Holloway due to recently received information."

Mos had publicly closed the investigation last month after an exhausting and often frustrating two-year probe.

"This information may shed a new light on the mode of which Natalee Holloway has died and the method by which her body disappeared," Mos said today.

He credited de Vries with uncovering the leads and said, "This information may help considerably in the solution of the mystery of Natalee's disappearance."

De Vries said that he and his team had been conducting an undercover operation for several months, and that he would broadcast his findings in a special program on Dutch television this Sunday.

The only piece of the upcoming program the de Vries would release was a conversation between himself and Mos after he showed police the evidence he had collected. "Am I sitting opposite a happy man now?" de Vries asks Mos. The prosecutor is shown answering, "Now at least the truth is surfacing and with that we can at least wrap up this case."

The Alabama teenager disappeared after a boozy night in an Aruban nightclub during a high school graduation trip. She was last seen outside Carols 'n Charlies bar with Joran van der Sloot, who is from Holland, and the brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe, from Aruba. They have twice been arrested, denied any involvement in her disappearance, and released due to lack of evidence.

Holloway's parents, Beth Twitty and Dave Holloway, have waged a determined publicity campaign in an effort to keep the probe alive and find out what happened to their daughter. Despite an extensive search of the island, its beaches and nearby waters, not a shred of evidence has emerged. Even the FBI, which took on the case, failed to find any breakthrough evidence.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=4222253&page=1

Gotta give it to De Vries. He is annoying but he is good. Let's see if he delivers next sunday.

Xrenity

twinturbo2 said:
How many times was he tried?
I don't know how it went.

Read Peter and some other guy set up a plan to trick Joran. And it worked out. I don't think they've given any more information.

twinturbo2 said:
How many times was he tried?

Zero times. He was brought in for interrogation two times (by Aruban police I think). The first time he lied on multiple accounts, the second time he chose not to speak at all (probably because he couldn't remember his lies from the first time :lol). They dropped the case for lack of evidence.

Edit: maybe you meant something different. :)

Thomper

Milabrega said:
Wiki article on De Vries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_R._de_Vries

Says on January 11th he had van der Sloot on his show, did he confront him with evidence or speculation of the evidence then?
No, de Vries and van der Sloot both appeared on the Dutch talkshow 'Pauw & Witteman', which isn't even on the same channel as de Vries' show. There wasn't any new evidence or even a foreshadowing of what has come out today in that show, the noteworthy thing that came out of it in the end was the 'wine incident' mentioned in the Wiki-article.

Tr4nce

I have always loved Peter. Now even more, because his moustache is gone.

I used to call him: Peter R... The man without an upper lip.

mabelgate-06-04.jpg

atomsk

Party Pooper
special is airing soon?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/01/world/main3777990.shtml?source=mostpop_story
"That is what he wanted to hear, so I told him what he wanted to hear," Van der Sloot said, adding that he had built up a relationship with the man he spoke to, but had never fully trusted him. He did not identify the man.

"It is so stupid, it is so stupid, it is really stupid," Van der Sloot said, his voice cracking.

Aruban prosecutors said Friday that they are reopening their investigation into the case after seeing secretly taped material from the journalist.

Jenga

Banned
Well, if it turns out to be a goose chase I'm sure the mother would still appreciate it. I recall her saying she'd do anything to keep the case on the media.

may the victim's soul RIP but lets cut to the chase here...

the only reason why this case has garnered such attention and publicity for so long is due to the fact that the victim was an attractive, blonde, american teenager. young/blond/american/female will keep the media frenzy fueled for lengths on end. anyone or anything else and this case would've been 1 in 100's of murders committed daily (around the world) that no one hears about.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
interesting case, should be good to watch the episode. Is it likely to be airing online as well, I haven't got cable :( What channel and time will it be on?

Diablos

I'm so sick and tired of this fucking case. Nobody's ever going to know what happened to her for sure, like so many other people out there who haven't been mentioned on the news even once.

Thomper

catfish said:
interesting case, should be good to watch the episode. Is it likely to be airing online as well, I haven't got cable :( What channel and time will it be on?
SBS6 tomorrow, 21:30 Dutch time.

It'll be aired on ABC on monday, for the Americans.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Diablos said:
I'm so sick and tired of this fucking case. Nobody's ever going to know what happened to her for sure, like so many other people out there who haven't been mentioned on the news even once.

Did you read the OP? It's very big news here, a lot of newspaper articles and things. This guy De Vries doesn't fuck around either, he's probably got something very real.

MMaRsu

Banned
So the episode in which he will probably lay down the evidence on this case will be on in a couple of hours. I'm very stoked and I really think Joran v/d Sloot did it.

How is this not a big thread yet, you guys don't really care about this anymore or have you forgotten it?

Last I heard police teams are already standing by as they don't have the evidence yet, but De Vries will probably be giving them the evidence as the episode aires. They will probably be arresting the perpetrator in question asap after the episode is done.

B.K.

juicyfruitas said:
the only reason why this case has garnered such attention and publicity for so long is due to the fact that the victim was an attractive, blonde, american teenager.

She wasn't attractive.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
you know, I escaped that island right when this broke ( I think about a month afterwards) and it still haunts me everywhere!

Sjoerd

It seems that they have multiple confessions from Van der Sloot which they will probably keep from broadcasting till the end of the show.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Peter R. de Vries: most annoying dude on Dutch television.
SBS6: most annoying network on Dutch television.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
He just confessed that the girl is dead but that he didn't do it.

edit: 'I'm lucky that they've never found the body because if they would I'd be in trouble'.

edit 2: he just confessed to having used a boat to dump her water in the ocean.

Roi

He called a friend who dumped the body in the ocean.

He's bragging to the guy that he's gonna sue the goverment.

Wanace

WTF?

I wonder how they got him to admit these things, or heard him saying them. Any details on how she was killed?

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Haha he just said he was going to ask her for a blow-job right before she started having some sort of seizure.

Roi

He says she died in a natural way, the reporter says he thinks the he killed here.

Joran also said that he wanted to hit a friend of Natalee, en that here friends did some coke.
Also that Natelee was with her hand down his pants and he was fingering her.

Lumine

haha that was pretty fucked

so basically he said she was seizuring after drinking too much. He panicked and called some friend who dumped her into the ocean with a boat.

Peter de Vries still thinks he's lying though. So maybe he has another confession!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom