• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PEW: More support for religion in politics, less support for gay rights in US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Apologies for the clumsy title.

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/09/22/public-sees-religions-influence-waning-2/

Nearly three-quarters of the public (72%) now thinks religion is losing influence in American life, up 5 percentage points from 2010 to the highest level in Pew Research polling over the past decade. And most people who say religion's influence is waning see this as a bad thing.

Perhaps as a consequence, a growing share of the American public wants religion to play a role in U.S. politics. The share of Americans who say churches and other houses of worship should express their views on social and political issues is up 6 points since the 2010 midterm elections (from 43% to 49%). The share who say there has been “too little” expression of religious faith and prayer from political leaders is up modestly over the same period (from 37% to 41%). And a growing minority of Americans (32%) think churches should endorse candidates for political office, though most continue to oppose such direct involvement by churches in electoral politics.

The findings reflect a widening divide between religiously affiliated Americans and the rising share of the population that is not affiliated with any religion (sometimes called the “nones”). The public’s appetite for religious influence in politics is increasing in part because those who continue to identify with a religion (e.g., Protestants, Catholics and others) have become significantly more supportive of churches and other houses of worship speaking out about political issues and political leaders talking more often about religion. The “nones” are much more likely to oppose the intermingling of religion and politics.

These are among the key findings from a new survey by the Pew Research Center, conducted Sept. 2-9 among 2,002 U.S. adults. The survey tracks public attitudes about religion in public life, maps the contours of the religious elements of the political landscape heading into the 2014 midterm elections and monitors trends on important social issues.

It finds a slight drop in support for allowing gays and lesbians to marry, with 49% of Americans in favor and 41% opposed – a 5-point dip in support from a February Pew Research poll, but about the same level as in 2013. It is too early to know if this modest decline is an anomaly or the beginning of a reversal or leveling off in attitudes toward gay marriage after years of steadily increasing public acceptance. Moreover, when the February poll and the current survey are combined, the 2014 yearly average level of support for same-sex marriage stands at 52%, roughly the same as the 2013 yearly average (50%).

The new poll also finds that fully half (50%) of the public now considers homosexuality a sin, up from 45% a year ago. And nearly half of U.S. adults think that businesses like caterers and florists should be allowed to reject same-sex couples as customers if the businesses have religious objections to serving those couples.

PR_14.09.22_religionPolitics-02.png

PR_14.09.22_religionPolitics-04.png

More info and charts at the link.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
The new poll also finds that fully half (50%) of the public now considers homosexuality a sin, up from 45% a year ago.

Maybe the US and Russia should be BFF after all.

As for their feelings towards gay and lesbians, 50 percent of respondents said they felt irritated and disgusted.

Paskil

It is disappointing that people think this way. Especially the ability to discriminate portion. I really hope that if/when gay marriage is instated nationwide that people change. People were overwhelmingly against black/white interracial marriages and look at those numbers now.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163697/approve-marriage-blacks-whites.aspx

Continuing to represent one of the largest shifts of public opinion in Gallup history, 87% of Americans now favor marriage between blacks and whites, up from 4% in 1958.

CrazyDude

I don't understand what is with these people and their fixation with gay marriage. Of all the sins, these Christians spend the most energy on this as if it we part of 10 commandments.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Which religion/sect are they even talking about? Which one is most/least acceptable?

Anyway, I blame abortion for this.

As a fellow American, this is disapointing. I didn't know it was this bad while I was living away in a college town. However once I came back to hometown, I did start to notice these trends.

Rise of the WASP, they've been marginalized for far too long. And right along side them are their verbal battered wife syndrome misses screaming identical nonsense.

Now I am curious why the reversal has happened.

Both issues have a pretty easy explaination;

1. Religion
The short story is ISIS and Gaza. For the last 3-6 months people have heard nothing but Hamas wanting to wipe Israel off the map (even though it's not necessarily true) and ISIS beheading American and British journalists. With a renewed military offensive against the Islamic State anti-Islamic sentiments are back on the rise. Anyone who is Christian sees President Obama's reluctance to send troops into Iraq\Syria as him passively allowing Islam more influence than Christianity. There's also the overarcing trend of Conservative politicians and pundits continually harping on about Christian values being ignored on the National level. They have put more effort into stopping Abortions than creating jobs, fixing income inequality, and balancing the budget combined since 2010.

EDIT: After carefully re-reading the questions they asked, it seems less like they want "religion in politics" and more that they want Churches to have the right to be politically active. I'm fine with that. But we should treat them like we do business in politics, by removing their tax exemption.

2. Gay Rights
There's no real issue here. A majority of American's still support it, and the poll backs this up. The only thing I see is one down point in a continuing trend of support. Over the last 10 years according to that the average percentage of American's that support marriage equality has increased from 31% to 52%--a 21 percent swing, which is pretty telling of how successful the gay rights movement has been over that time frame. I expect they may have gotten an especially conservative batch of American's for both these polls but overall I imagine the trend in support for gay rights to continue.

UberTag

Sensible people don't respond to silly polls to express their opposition to wacky flawed ideas. Forty percent of people know that!

Sheroking

US and Russia are literally going back in time.

Nah. One shit poll doesn't change the fact that gay rights and general tolerance/acceptance of the LGBT community are on the rise in the US.

Don't compare them to the festering shit-pile that is Russia.

/Canadian.

Paskil

PR_14.09.22_religionPolitics-06.png

apparently republicans don't like their party
Nobody likes their party, so thats hardly a surprise.

The farther leaning right component of the Republican party is especially curmudgeony, with compared to their opposing extreme on the left. By this, I mean the Fox News watching, Brietbart/Town Hall/Blaze reading bunch. These are the same older people that still have land lines and would tend to answer these polls.

Now I'm not calling this some 2012 Unskewed Polls™ skewed polls nonsense. However, these people are pretty nasty in general. Just look at the Tea Party, for example
actually don't, people haven't really been talking about them as much lately and that's a good thing

They tend to be dissatisfied and disgruntled, even when their party darlings dare to speak rationally.

XenodudeX

Doesn't really matter at this point. The supreme court will most likely rule gay marriage bans unconstitutional country wide.

JdFoX187

Banned
Had a somewhat intelligent co-worker tell me Saturday while we were on assignment, "you have my permission to kill me if I ever turn gay. If I start talking about liking another man, I want you to put me out of my misery." Completely out of nowhere. He doesn't even hate homosexuality on religious grounds. He just doesn't like gay people, all of a sudden. I blame Oklahoma.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The amount of religion (read: christianity) in politics already scares the shit out of me. Fuck people clamoring for more, this is not a Christian nation.

Doesn't really matter at this point. The supreme court will most likely rule gay marriage bans unconstitutional country wide.

wait until a Republican president gets elected and that old Democrat justices retire....

remember Thomas, Scalia, Alito.... a Republican president would be happy to appoint more of those

It is too early to know if this modest decline is an anomaly or the beginning of a reversal or leveling off in attitudes toward gay marriage after years of steadily increasing public acceptance. Moreover, when the February poll and the current survey are combined, the 2014 yearly average level of support for same-sex marriage stands at 52%, roughly the same as the 2013 yearly average (50%).

On gay marriage

its also a good time to put this out here. Surveys are often just reflections of partisanship not actual beliefs. For example many conservatives know about climate change and what states say but answer factually incorrect things to signal political opposition.

http://huber.research.yale.edu/materials/39_paper.pdf

Another possibility, highlighted in this paper, is that differences in survey responses
arise because surveys offer partisans low-cost opportunities to express their partisan affinities

Researchers and general analysts of public opinion should consider the possibility that the appearance of polarization is to
a great extent an artifact of survey measurement rather than evidence of real differences in beliefs.

It is disappointing that people think this way. Especially the ability to discriminate portion. I really hope that if/when gay marriage is instated nationwide that people change. People were overwhelmingly against black/white interracial marriages and look at those numbers now.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163697/approve-marriage-blacks-whites.aspx
That seems actually pretty surprising that according to the poll 13%, which is over 30 million people in the US, are against interracial black/white interracial marriages.

But yeah, things change and hopefully in a few decades issues like this will be viewed like we view things like civil rights nowadays (not that they're perfect either still but it has come a long long way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom