• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Nova |OT| - Emergency Code: Import!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I want to import this just because I fucking love Tri-Ace. Looking forward to impressions and more videos.

yep indeed will record more footage! might make a cast character in the event if i can recreate lisa from pso2 though from the starting parts doesnt look like its possible i tried lol

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
yep indeed will record more footage! might make a cast character in the event if i can recreate lisa from pso2 though from the starting parts doesnt look like its possible i tried lol
Actually hoping for some customization parts DLC, the starter ones in the demo (and I presume the full game) were decent but could definitely have used more
IMO.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
you saw what i did to my rifle right? lol
Yeah lol, mostly meant character cosmetic parts though. Haven't played Ranger class since BB (didn't play PSO2) so surprised at how smooth the free aim looks. Will try the class out on the demo later I guess.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Protip: decrease camera sensitivity in the options for much smoother camera controls.

Parakeetman

Protip: decrease camera sensitivity in the options for much smoother camera controls.

lol thats pretty much a given with how sensitive it was in the demo. lot if it has to do with how small the analog sticks on the vita are not allowing for a wide range of movement.

B3bY2zTCEAAFsfB.jpg:large

Let's rock.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Phew, Buster unlocks a skill for a skill board on lv 2 or something which allows all classes to use Pile. Now I won't have to play with another class for a while and can focus on my Hunter.

Shengar

I'm considering if this should be my first unlocalized Japanese game on my Vita or not. Can I updated it if my account is region 1?

LMN

Great OT as always Parakeetman, I personally loved every moment of the game in the 2nd demo, so weird that the Bunker/pike weapon didn't appear on there, anyhow I will probably get this later down the road regardless if it get localize or not, would love to import it day one, but kinda empty my wallet with Gundam Breaker 2, kinda wish I'm in Japan right now so don't have to deal with import cost.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So, I've played the game for the whole evening and I'm loving it (for the most part).
Tons of stuff to do - promise orders, quest, capturing giganteses etc. etc.
I was able to reach level 46 and make some stronger equipment, but I'm really happy that I've just unlocked Hard mode, since I was super overleveled for the normal mode...
On Hard, a level 39 or something Gigantes was actually able to kill me (I didn't expect it to deal any damage to me, so I wasn't paying attention).

My 2 gripes with the game so far:
- The framerate is really bad sometimes. Most fights are short and once you get rid of a few enemies it gets better, but I really hope that they improve the performance somehow.
- Capturing giganteses is a real pain. To do it you have to:
a) Get it to the last few % of health.
b) Stab it with needles from Pile.
c) Use the "Ignition" skill from your sub palette, which has a stupidly long recharge time, so if you miss your chance for capture once, you're done.

B) and C) are bad because they aren't "fun". Being forced to change to a certain weapon and use one of a few skills... No thanks. That said, a) is by far the biggest problem - in PSO2 your navigator would inform you when a boss reaches 50% and 10% hp. Here, there's no such information, so you have to pray that you've dealt enough damage that it's almost dead. The window seems pretty small, too. 3 times I've used Ignition, failed to capture the monster just to kill it with my next combo...

Summoning captured monsters is also a bit weird, since they're huge. Granted I only have the first one (from the demo), but it's summoning attack is basically it appearing on the battle field and... freezing time (?!) so that the enemy doesn't move. Good for destroying parts, I guess. Still, PSO2 Mags are WAY better.

That's it for my today's impressions, here are some screenshots with terrible compression:
kvKmtws.jpg

Chilling with my pet Gigantes.

BImWrUF.jpg

Remaking the old look of my PSO2 character. One of the NPCs has the arms which I'm currently using, but I guess I'll have to wait for the next costume shop upgrade to be able to buy them.

vQWVuQ1.jpg

Stats after a day of hard work.

Parakeetman

Do everyone a favor and quote those images. :) Same images for the most part that was linked in the OT. The End of Eternity stuff is in another link within the same post.

will add that link you put up also into the OT!

-------

went to sleep early last night so didnt have time to post these. need to resize the images when i get back home.

baekshi

Banned
Do everyone a favor and quote those images. :) Same images for the most part that was linked in the OT. The End of Eternity stuff is in another link within the same post.

will add that link you put up also into the OT!

Oops, didn't see the link.

That Vita is looking nice. Is that blue box it came within? :3 They should had done wider release for it.

Parakeetman

Oops, didn't see the link.

That Vita is looking nice. Is that blue box it came within? :3 They should had done wider release for it.

yeah its like a slip on cover for the white vita box. the psvtv is the same with packaging

im guessing sony shelled out for it which is why its only on the sony store as an exclusive. the god eater 2 vita was the same too

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
2 pieces of information which might be useful for some.

1. Level limit for each class is 100. Kind of obvious, but with 40-50-60 etc. limits for PSO2 I wanted to double check.
2. Weapon specific promise orders require you to deal the killing blow to the enemy, not just clear the quest with the weapon like in PSO2. That means that if one of your NPCs kills the boss, you have to do the quest again.

Parakeetman

2 pieces of information which might be useful for some.

1. Level limit for each class is 100. Kind of obvious, but with 40-50-60 etc. limits for PSO2 I wanted to double check.
2. Weapon specific promise orders require you to deal the killing blow to the enemy, not just clear the quest with the weapon like in PSO2. That means that if one of your NPCs kills the boss, you have to do the quest again.

Am glad to hear a high lv cap seeing how easy it is to get to 30. Plus that the hard lv missions are back in the game. Always enjoyed those.

No. 2 isnt too bad unless they force you to pt up.

Parakeetman

Great OT as always Parakeetman, I personally loved every moment of the game in the 2nd demo, so weird that the Bunker/pike weapon didn't appear on there, anyhow I will probably get this later down the road regardless if it get localize or not, would love to import it day one, but kinda empty my wallet with Gundam Breaker 2, kinda wish I'm in Japan right now so don't have to deal with import cost.

Thanks much appreciated!

I think the pile didnt appear due to it being story quest related and the 2nd demo ends before you can do that quest. Since the data for the 2nd demo has to be transferred to the main game they needed to keep it the same data wise with the full product.

The first demo had the pile in it so folks that played that already had a chance to mess with it. Even if that demo was a little well shit lol

Going to be doing the Gundam Breaker 2 OT, just did a quick check under the hood and looks like Ill have enough resources to make something simple.

---

For others 1 new video is currently uploading ETA about an hour out I believe. YT is damned slow today. After that will upload another video.

Parakeetman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNwgfHVSbck

1 of the new vids. had fallen asleep in the chair before putting the link up here D:

yeah, that reminds me. How do you (or anyone who has the game) like the characters in PSNova? Or at least, the main characters?

So far the characters present the main crew and your 3 supporting characters are pretty good. The voice acting is well done. Am pretty happy with it overall.

I don't see it on your channel :|

Most of my stuff these days is not set to public so unless I post a link here folks will not see it.

-----

Currently uploading another vid but will be a while before it goes up.

Capturing Gigantes isnt too bad since you can tell when they are about to die as they stay pissed off. One of the loading screens tells you that also. So if you go in solo you dont have to worry about friendly AI killing it by accident. Only downside is if you misjudge the timing and waste the capture ability since that takes a long time to recover.

-----

The Buster class also seems to have been reworked as it can apparently use every weapon type just that its not as adept with them as the Hunter, Ranger or Force.

Odd that did not redo the main hp to reflect this as with how game design and production work, its not like this was a day 1 change so internally they should have had the info on it.

Is better though since its my current go to class.

Do wish that the ranger had sniper rifles though considering its the only class with just 2 weapons or something new like a shotgun. Then again with how strong the ARs are you really dont use the smgs anyways.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Capturing Gigantes isnt too bad since you can tell when they are about to die as they stay pissed off. One of the loading screens tells you that also. So if you go in solo you dont have to worry about friendly AI killing it by accident. Only downside is if you misjudge the timing and waste the capture ability since that takes a long time to recover.
When I fight Gigantes, they usually die shortly after being down for the first time, so I don't even know if they're angry or not.
That said, twentytwo pointed out on twitter that the ring (glow?) around the weak spot crystal is yellow when you can capture it. Didn't check it myself, but it would be great if true.

Parakeetman

When I fight Gigantes, they usually die shortly after being down for the first time, so I don't even know if they're angry or not.
That said, twentytwo pointed out on twitter that the ring (glow?) around the weak spot crystal is yellow when you can capture it. Didn't check it myself, but it would be great if true.

ill check it out have footage of my capture. i failed the first attempt due to testing the inject skill and then finding out how long the cooldown was after lol.

second time knocked it down shot the weakpoint for 20k dmg then captured it ヽ(・∀・)ノ

im guessing the pile shots go off the shooting stats and melee skills from the melee stats? am trying to upgrade the shots more since its what i do more over the melee skills

Parakeetman

How many monsters are there?

no idea need to check a jp wiki

im just glad the game is using the pso2 type of designs over all the previous game monster designs which were shit mostly the ones taken from universe which all the titles till pso2 used.

My impressions after... a while? 20 hours maybe.

Great game. Really, really great. It does modern day Phantasy Star so well.

+Full voice-acted with really great VAs and a pretty decent narrative.
+One word: customization. Holy damn, there is so much customization in this game. And somehow, it isn't too overwhelming.
+Decent variance in the levels and great variance in the bosses, two things I was very worried about before the game came out.
+Rare enemies, rare drops. Haven't gotten to rare equipment yet, but I'm sure it is here too. The PSO(/U/P) special sauce.

-Framerate can take a hit at times, especially with multiple bosses on screen at once. It feels like a more optimized version of PSO2 (Vita).
-Capturing sucks. I think I've figured it out for the most part, but the window seems very small. I wish the narrator would say when the enemy hits 10%/etc.

So... basically what Hasemo said? :p

Parakeetman

My impressions after... a while? 20 hours maybe.

Great game. Really, really great. It does modern day Phantasy Star so well.

+Full voice-acted with really great VAs and a pretty decent narrative.
+One word: customization. Holy damn, there is so much customization in this game. And somehow, it isn't too overwhelming.
+Decent variance in the levels and great variance in the bosses, two things I was very worried about before the game came out.
+Rare enemies, rare drops. Haven't gotten to rare equipment yet, but I'm sure it is here too. The PSO(/U/P) special sauce.

-Framerate can take a hit at times, especially with multiple bosses on screen at once. It feels like a more optimized version of PSO2 (Vita).
-Capturing sucks. I think I've figured it out for the most part, but the window seems very small. I wish the narrator would say when the enemy hits 10%/etc.

So... basically what Hasemo said? :p

One more minus to add is just how the vault works as transferring stuff over is a pain in the ass. Dont see any button to stuff shit in the vault faster. D: Wish there was one since with how Im a massive packrat makes it a huge chore to constantly empty out my bag.

---

The 3 new vids also are in the OT.

Some story related stuff so might want to skip the 2nd vid. But its also a good example of the VA work.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Okay, I think I know how to capture Gigantes.
It's not the ring around the crystal, it's the crystal itself that shows how much HP it has left.
It goes Red -> Orange -> Yellow and when it's yellow, capturing it is possible.
Too bad it's only possible to know for sure when it's down...

Parakeetman

Okay, I think I know how to capture Gigantes.
It's not the ring around the crystal, it's the crystal itself that shows how much HP it has left.
It goes Red -> Orange -> Yellow and when it's yellow, capturing it is possible.
Too bad it's only possible to know for sure when it's down...

just captured the jellyfish zero issues first try. had died once since was messing with the controls still getting used to my ds3 setup as its a little different from vita play

i want the crab next lol

Parakeetman

Jellyfish capture vid.

first fight against crab managed to capture it too. took a while though since was messing around looking for what its breakable parts were and as usual wasted the first injection. thankfully parts that can be damaged are in odd locations so the npcs didnt do enough damage to kill it and i could wait out till the cooldown wore off.

will fight it again think it has a unique anim when weak and want to confirm it. might ve when it spits up stuff.

vid uling now ETC 2hrs pretty long vid as it includes the dialog scenes too.

Gonna go capture me a high lv Agrius now in the mean time lol

Went and got a lv 41 one

---

The item issue with moving things to the vault and whatnots will be addressed in a future update it seems.

Also to get Leanne Reanbell enter this password in the stasis lab area.

EoEReanbell

---

Crab fight / capture / story bits video.

Malyse

Hmm. Little deflated on the game. I tend to want to be a glass cannon so I liked the dewman race, but losing the other classes stings. Can they be unlocked? Or is Buster the catch all? And any links to PSO2?

Hmm. Little deflated on the game. I tend to want to be a glass cannon so I liked the dewman race, but losing the other classes stings. Can they be unlocked? Or is Buster the catch all? And any links to PSO2?

No Dewman, Buster is kind of the all-in-one class, and there are some subtle links (story hints, etc) at PSO2 here and there but nothing major.

Just finished the game. If you enjoyed PSO2 or the PSPortable games, it comes highly recommended.

Parakeetman

No Dewman, Buster is kind of the all-in-one class, and there are some subtle links (story hints, etc) at PSO2 here and there but nothing major.

Just finished the game. If you enjoyed PSO2 or the PSPortable games, it comes highly recommended.

Indeed tons of content.

The buster class is a bit squishy to be trying to melee with. Its why Im mostly sticking to my rifle and using the pile from a distance once charged. Still is my main go to class at the moment though, just because I can use whatever I need, even with the stats hits since am not specialized in anything still a very useful class.

The thing is this game obviously was designed "most def" by SEGAs orders to not make something that will pull people away from PSO2. Though be familiar enough so PSO2 players will buy it for the story / SP content. Its while not exactly but similar to how there is standard Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter Freedom and there are some things that each game does not share with each other. Part of it being too is that Frontier runs off of the older engine thats been constantly reworked into the ground. Though Capcom is a little more far sighted and allowed for internet play with the 3DS versions and have improved the features. This is an example of SEGA being well SEGA.

Malyse

I don't mean story links, but actually tying the game to my account.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I don't mean story links, but actually tying the game to my account.
There's no way to tie the game to your PSO2 account, but you will get a group of PSO2 characters if there's an installed PSO2 client detected on your Vita and there's a code in the box for special items redeemable in PSO2.

Parakeetman

There's no way to tie the game to your PSO2 account, but you will get a group of PSO2 characters if there's an installed PSO2 client detected on your Vita and there's a code in the box for special items redeemable in PSO2.

Am sure there will be more tie-ins too in the future.

I still want Lisa to appear in this game as a special character. D:

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just finished Nova. Performance problems aside, it was a great game with a really well made, engaging story.
I'll move to the post game stuff tomorrow and I'll write some more detailed impressions.
For those interested, I did most of the side stuff while clearing the story and it took me 28 hours.

Top Bottom