• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Nova |OT| - Emergency Code: Import!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just finished Nova. Performance problems aside, it was a great game with a really well made, engaging story.
I'll move to the post game stuff tomorrow and I'll write some more detailed impressions.
For those interested, I did most of the side stuff while clearing the story and it took me 28 hours.

And to put some perspective on things have not cleared it yet, but am at 40 hours. Then again I have a massive amount of resources and other stuff. Am sure way beyond high enough lv to clear the game if I wanted to rush through it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
And to put some perspective on things have not cleared it yet, but am at 40 hours. Then again I have a massive amount of resources and other stuff. Am sure way beyond high enough lv to clear the game if I wanted to rush through it.
Well, I had enough resources to make everything I wanted which wasn't gates by difficulty/quests I didn't have and finished at lv 90. Tbh. Only thing left that I could do is farming orders for all characters to reach the 親友 status, but It seemed tesious soI did it only for 4 of them.

Parakeetman

Well, I had enough resources to make everything I wanted which wasn't gates by difficulty/quests I didn't have and finished at lv 90. Tbh. Only thing left that I could do is farming orders for all characters to reach the 親友 status, but It seemed tesious soI did it only for 4 of them.

It does take forever, its stupid how the designers though having to go through menus multiple times was a good idea lol. I seriously want the patch now to make moving shit to the vault faster. Its insane how much crap I come back with and takes forever to move everything over.

Am curious what else they will address in the patch. That boss
the long collection of bugs that form a train
seriously is not a boss to fight with melee weapons with how it turns into a slideshow. Its funny doesnt happen as bad when you go ranged though. Im normally not the one to care about framerate stuff but that section gets real bad if you are a melee user. Wonder if they are working on a stability patch for that too, since its incredible that Sony allowed it to go through like that, which has me thinking they got it waived with a promise of a "fix" within the first patch. Its a damned shame since everything else for the most part is pretty cool. But dont mind it too much as am happy with the game. Do hope that there at least is a patch to make it a bit better than the current condition.

Ive been leveling the hunter up more to unlock more skills for the skill board. Next might go back to ranger to get more skills. Get it to at least 50+ The hunter is already there so will switch soon. Already got the latest rifle fully upgraded and ready. I have not been doing as many runs against the Gigantes so dont have the ability? large crystals that up all stats, which are pretty useful for making a new weapon as it can increase defense slightly too.

I should advance the story to get more crew members. The last thing I maxed out was the 3 races. Wonder if the next will be a break down by classes? Though Id prefer more crew members that are useful for the shops and whatnots.

Had my first random crash, should have guessed when the cursor stopped appearing on the map selection. lol

Parakeetman

Ok the 1.01 patch is currently slated for 2014 December 11th. Details on the patch contents will come out closer to the release of it.

Also if you plan on playing with friends make sure all versions are the same is what is also written. (but that should be pretty obvious lol)

Some new footage using a sword, btw if you want to skip story spoilers just close the window after the combat portion ends. Footage quality still might be LQ due to the vid still processing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lHGg2XUcWY

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well, they've said that the patch will address minor bugs, so I wouldn't expect big performance changes.
As for the bugs, my game crashed once, which isn't that bad. The first Soul Sacrifice was crashing for at least one person per day when we were playing in multiplayer right after it came out. I also remember that twentytwo said, that his performance started going really bad, but resetting a Vita helped...

As for the skill board, at level 85+ or something you start unlocking skills perfect for playing with other classes - "Step", being able to use each of the weapons etc. I won't complain, because my first board is so full of useful skills that I don't know where I'd put new ones.

I'm surprised that you need more crew members... Since shop/boost upgrades like radars unlock with the main story and I always bought all crew members as soon as the new option popped up, I always had enough people in all facilities. Also remember that the same facility type doesn't stack. I checked by putting 2 radars for increased something (don't remember what each one does), and the percentage in the menu stayed the same. :(

Parakeetman

Well, they've said that the patch will address minor bugs, so I wouldn't expect big performance changes.
As for the bugs, my game crashed once, which isn't that bad. The first Soul Sacrifice was crashing for at least one person per day when we were playing in multiplayer right after it came out. I also remember that twentytwo said, that his performance started going really bad, but resetting a Vita helped...

As for the skill board, at level 85+ or something you start unlocking skills perfect for playing with other classes - "Step", being able to use each of the weapons etc. I won't complain, because my first board is so full of useful skills that I don't know where I'd put new ones.

I'm surprised that you need more crew members... Since shop/boost upgrades like radars unlock with the main story and I always bought all crew members as soon as the new option popped up, I always had enough people in all facilities. Also remember that the same facility type doesn't stack. I checked by putting 2 radars for increased something (don't remember what each one does), and the percentage in the menu stayed the same. :(

i think the radars were rare enemy up?

i need crew members as in useful skills for the shops and facilities. i have folks in them now but have yet to find a useful chef. already have everything else still need to finish out hunters and rangers. both should only have half left. putting in better crew members with appropriate skills helps cut down on resource costs do believe.

i figured facilities dont stack so didnt bother with more than one of each type.

am curious if constantly doing the massive slowdowns on that particular boss on purpose is what caused the crash for me since gad done that mission 4 times in a row.

man its bugging me how haphazard my base layout is but know ill spend too much time if i work on making it actually nice. (´д`|||)

the original soul sacrifice was filled with all sorts of stupid shit favorite being getting pushed into the enviro by an enemy attack then getting stuck so had to quit.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
man its bugging me how haphazard my base layout is but know ill spend too much time if i work on making it actually nice. (´д`|||)

the original soul sacrifice was filled with all sorts of stupid shit favorite being getting pushed into the enviro by an enemy attack then getting stuck so had to quit.
Wait until the post game with tinkering, since you'll unlock the last (?) 9 star tier of buildings and you'll have to put everything down again. It's kind of weird that they don't allow you to switch an old store for a new one but instead make you delete the old one first.

Anyway, important people who want to get the "most complete" ending (non-story spoiler:
post credits you hear what happened to each character after the end of the game
) - farm promise quests that increase your intimacy with all NPCs available.
Mind you, this is just my theory, but the ending matched the npcs which were 親友 with me.
The flow is:
1. Do enough promise orders for an npc.
2. The red "story" marker will pop above his/her head, talk to them.
3. Do the special promise order with a star.
4. Talk to them again.
5. Go on their special quest.
6. Enjoy additional few seconds of the ending.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sorry for the double post.

Important thing for people who cleared the game and want to level up asap - be sure to unfreeze 2 "Section Leaders" (or something like that) crew members. One is 28k, but they're totally worth it.
Their promise orders give a ton of xp and are actually quite hard. Stuff like "clear lv 80+ quest without dying" or "clear this lv 89 quest with an S rank" is no joke.

I kind of agree with some Amazon reviewers - I'd really prefer to have equipment drops, since the materials only system doesn't feel as satisfying, especially with the amount of useless red drops that you get with high lv boosters.

Anyway, I'm currently at lv 97 and I'm not sure how long I'll keep playing after I reach lv 100. I might just wait for the patch hoping for fixes to the ui/performance...

Parakeetman

Sorry for the double post.

Important thing for people who cleared the game and want to level up asap - be sure to unfreeze 2 "Legendary" crew members. One is 28k, but they're totally worth it.
Their promise orders give a ton of xp and are actually quite hard. Stuff like "clear lv 80+ quest without dying" or "clear this lv 89 quest with an S rank" is no joke.

I kind of agree with some Amazon reviewers - I'd really prefer to have equipment drops, since the materials only system doesn't feel as satisfying, especially with the amount of useless red drops that you get with high lv boosters.

Anyway, I'm currently at lv 97 and I'm not sure how long I'll keep playing after I reach lv 100. I might just wait for the patch hoping for fixes to the ui/performance...

yeah i saw that review too and agree the old system of loot drops vs ingredients for equipment and attachments was far better and more exciting from the standpoint as a loot hunter

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ricardo updated his PSNova guide.
Really useful, even if you have no problems with Japanese, since wikis are sometimes really hard to read.

Izuna

Banned
GF may export this to me for Christmas. I loved PSPo2 and liked PSO2 gameplay, but I'm worried that this game doesn't have the scope other PS games had. Does it end fairly quickly?

Is it actually challenging, or like PSPo2 is everything around the same level hilariously easy?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally reached level 100. After that I got my Buster to 32 (from 6) just by turning in promise orders which I had items for.

Anyway, game went back to the store. I blame the lack of multiplayer and performance problems. Had a blast with it but since the only thing left is the super difficult (lv 90-100) content, but I'd have to farm promise orders to unlock the last 1-2 quests and I honestly just don't feel like it.
The post game part, although it has its highlights isn't as fleshed out as in the Portable games. No equipment drop system is also kind of off-putting for long, diablo like grinding.

All in all, I'd give Nova a strong 8. It could've more area variety, some UX fixes (storing items, etc.) and had some serious performance problems at some points, but if Sega ever releases an infinity version, I'm sure I'll buy it. I got about 40 hours out of Nova and am really satisfied with the purchase.

And I always play PSO2.

Parakeetman

Finally reached level 100. After that I got my Buster to 32 (from 6) just by turning in promise orders which I had items for.

Anyway, game went back to the store. I blame the lack of multiplayer and performance problems. Had a blast with it but since the only thing left is the super difficult (lv 90-100) content, but I'd have to farm promise orders to unlock the last 1-2 quests and I honestly just don't feel like it.
The post game part, although it has its highlights isn't as fleshed out as in the Portable games. No equipment drop system is also kind of off-putting for long, diablo like grinding.

All in all, I'd give Nova a strong 8. It could've more area variety, some UX fixes (storing items, etc.) and had some serious performance problems at some points, but if Sega ever releases an infinity version, I'm sure I'll buy it. I got about 40 hours out of Nova and am really satisfied with the purchase.

And I always play PSO2.

Its too bad the game does not seem to have a twitter account for the producer, only the PR speak Rappy one. Since would have liked to ask if future patches will address the frame rate issues with the bosses, since its a huge setback for melee users on that particular boss. The others dont seem to have as much of an issue. Its no surprise though seeing the particular design of that boss, but still.

Overall this really is a great game. Think the excellent voice work and good overall pacing make it a highly enjoyable single player experience.

I have 2 characters around 65 at the moment the Hunter and Buster the Ranger is around 40s I think.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Its too bad the game does not seem to have a twitter account for the producer, only the PR speak Rappy one. Since would have liked to ask if future patches will address the frame rate issues with the bosses, since its a huge setback for melee users on that particular boss. The others dont seem to have as much of an issue. Its no surprise though seeing the particular design of that boss, but still.

Overall this really is a great game. Think the excellent voice work and good overall pacing make it a highly enjoyable single player experience.

I have 2 characters around 65 at the moment the Hunter and Buster the Ranger is around 40s I think.
You better grind up some experience on at least one class, since the last few quests are 80+ iirc. :p

To be honest I have more problems with framerate in general, that bug train boss didn't feel that much worse than the other ones...

Parakeetman

You better grind up some experience on at least one class, since the last few quests are 80+ iirc. :p

To be honest I have more problems with framerate in general, that bug train boss didn't feel that much worse than the other ones...

It will be pretty easy. Getting exp isnt an issue at all. Its more looking for the items I need for certain upgrades and other things.

Really did prefer the diablo loot type of drops over ingredients. Its what made the series unique and apart from the "component craze" which most other games of similar design take these days.

No if you saw what I did to the frame rate you would understand why it bothered me. I mean I literally turned it into a slide show. Dont think I recorded footage of it though. Everything else up until now has not even reached anything close to that level. Everything else is pretty much standard fare with the series framerate wise anyways lol Just checked and yeah dont have footage of it. Only when I was playing as my Buster with hardly any issues when I used the rifle. Game really seems to freak out with that boss when you get up close to it.

That boss drops so much loot the game cant render it all its hilarious. So need to run around the area where loot is to make sure you grab everything when more pops up once you collect some

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So the game is about 40ish? How is the post game?
If you rush the story it can be cleared in 20 hours, maybe even less, I think.

As for the post story content:
- New npc events
- New promise orders
- Final upgrade level for all the buildings (new items)
- New quests (up to lv 100, old environments)
- Ability to change npc outfits

I think that's it. Post game isn't nowhere as beefy as in PSP games, but there's stuff to do.

Izuna

Banned
So I guess I AM getting it since my roomie and I will share it. Amazon dropped the price by a little and Japanese economy is in recession so it's cheaper than I thought haha.

Takuhi

Do the story and setting have anything at all to do with the original Phantasy Star series (PS1 through PSIV) or is it all based off of post-Phantasy Star Online stuff?

baekshi

Banned
If you rush the story it can be cleared in 20 hours, maybe even less, I think.

As for the post story content:
- New npc events
- New promise orders
- Final upgrade level for all the buildings (new items)
- New quests (up to lv 100, old environments)
- Ability to change npc outfits

I think that's it. Post game isn't nowhere as beefy as in PSP games, but there's stuff to do.

Sounds fair enough to me. Looking to buying it in a week or so.

Parakeetman

Do the story and setting have anything at all to do with the original Phantasy Star series (PS1 through PSIV) or is it all based off of post-Phantasy Star Online stuff?

The series really has not been connected with that in a long time asides from setting i suppose.

Young Magus

So I guess I AM getting it since my roomie and I will share it. Amazon dropped the price by a little and Japanese economy is in recession so it's cheaper than I thought haha.

Amazon.jp does international shipping?

Whats the cost for the game on there by the way?

baekshi

Banned
Amazon.jp does international shipping?

Whats the cost for the game on there by the way?

No Amazon Japan does not ship games overseas. OP probably has the shops that'll ship them like amiami, cdjapan, solaris etc. or mail forwarding services

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
4 player co-op via Ad-Hoc *No infrastructure (online) mode

What a shame and here I was hoping this would get added like in Freedom Wars...a PSO without online mode is very worthless to me (Phantasy Star Portable 1 clearly showed this) so I hope you guys enjoy the game and maybe if this game ever gets localized I will consider getting it but I don't expect the game to keep me engaged in it once story mode is finished.

Parakeetman

4 player co-op via Ad-Hoc *No infrastructure (online) mode

What a shame and here I was hoping this would get added like in Freedom Wars...a PSO without online mode is very worthless to me (Phantasy Star Portable 1 clearly showed this) so I hope you guys enjoy the game and maybe if this game ever gets localized I will consider getting it but I don't expect the game to keep me engaged in it once story mode is finished.

Freedom Wars was planned from the start to have online and pvp this from day 1 said no online.

Stupid decision by SEGA for reasons talked about in the thread but SEGAs gonna SEGA so what can you do

-------

On a separate note the free DLC for the End Of Eternity costumes are available for download.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Freedom Wars was planned from the start to have online and pvp this from day 1 said no online.

Stupid decision by SEGA for reasons talked about in the thread but SEGAs gonna SEGA so what can you do

-------

On a separate note the free DLC for the End Of Eternity costumes are available for download.
I do understand this business decision but I dont like it....they don't want to interfere with what they got going on with PSO2 so if one wants to play online they have to play PSO2 (and Sega is hoping you buy something while doing so) but imo PSP2 didn't interfere with PSU's profits so I don't know what's the deal there.

They said in September a western release for PSO2 is still planned but Asiasoft already translated the game to English so outside setting up the servers and having no confidence in the western market it looks like SEGA doesn't give a dammed about us.

Parakeetman

I do understand this business decision but I dont like it....they don't want to interfere with what they got going on with PSO2 so if one wants to play online they have to play PSO2 (and Sega is hoping you buy something while doing so) but imo PSP2 didn't interfere with PSU's profits so I don't know what's the deal there.

They said in September a western release for PSO2 is still planned but Asiasoft already translated the game to English so outside setting up the servers and having no confidence in the western market it looks like SEGA doesn't give a dammed about us.

its kinda weird that there is a US PSO2 page also but still no game for you folks

yeah sega does not exactly have best record with the west lately. though seeing valkyria on the pc is a start somewhere

Spux666

Banned
I've been waiting on this game for a while now. I was going to buy a vita if the game ever comes to the west but I don't know anymore.....I think I'm starting to crack and might just buy a vita anyway and import the game.

Can anyone tell me how region locking on the vita works? My understanding is that I can play any JP game on a NA vita as long as I'm not downloading DLC or using online features because that requires a JP account? But am I correct in saying that a NA vita with a NA account can play the JP library of games?

baekshi

Banned
I've been waiting on this game for a while now. I was going to buy a vita if the game ever comes to the west but I don't know anymore.....I think I'm starting to crack and might just buy a vita anyway and import the game.

Can anyone tell me how region locking on the vita works? My understanding is that I can play any JP game on a NA vita as long as I'm not downloading DLC or using online features because that requires a JP account? But am I correct in saying that a NA vita with a NA account can play the JP library of games?

There's no region lock.

If you're using US account, you won't be able access DLC because it requires a Japanese account to access the Japanese Store to download...

If this game had online, you would have been able to use it as long as the game doesn't have a online pass but this game has no online.

It doesn't matter which region you bought Vita, all games of the will work no matter which account you are on.

its kinda weird that there is a US PSO2 page also but still no game for you folks

yeah sega does not exactly have best record with the west lately. though seeing valkyria on the pc is a start somewhere

Sega been teasing people since PAX 2012.
The fact that the site is still there unchanged is a little perturbing.

Spux666

Banned
There's no region lock.

If you're using US account, you won't be able access DLC because it requires a Japanese account to access the Japanese Store to download...

If this game had online, you would have been able to use it as long as the game doesn't have a online pass but this game has no online.

It doesn't matter which region you bought Vita, all games of the will work no matter which account you are on.

..........*calls local game store*........140 used eh?.....*grabs car keys*

I think my biggest issue with the game (besides from the framerate/performance issues) is the lack of inspiring grinding for rare weapons/armor. None of the PSO games post-PSO have been able to make me want to do 100+ runs of the same damn quest just to get some uber rare piece of equipment.

I kind of understand with this entry, as it isn't online so the showing-off-to-others/endless grind isn't there, but I really do miss it.

Parakeetman

I think my biggest issue with the game (besides from the framerate/performance issues) is the lack of inspiring grinding for rare weapons/armor. None of the PSO games post-PSO have been able to make me want to do 100+ runs of the same damn quest just to get some uber rare piece of equipment.

I kind of understand with this entry, as it isn't online so the showing-off-to-others/endless grind isn't there, but I really do miss it.

Do agree with you there, since its the one thing that keeps you going on the same stages and such. Esp ones with a ton of stronger mid boss type of enemies in it for those rare drops. Its not as satisfying as the current system with ingredients. Lets hope this is just a test and "if" they make a next game they will go back to the roots with the loot. Since it really is far better the way they have always had it.

The attachment system is kinda shit too currently due to how the parts are not aligned correctly. So most of the time Im just stealthing parts instead of trying to get it to fit somehow.

Back to the game for about an hour lol

Parakeetman

Version 1.01 comes out next week. Adds a command to toss all enemy cores and ingredients into the vault instantly, which is a godsend. Can set it to automatically do that too which is even better.
Patch Details JP

Also new PW activated character.

pw_img2.jpg

PW is.

mitsutomitakao

but you need to be updated to the 1.01 version to use this character next week.

Other small issues fixed with game balance, spelling errors, control issues, etc. No word on the framerate issue with the boss yet. Am guessing thats going to take more work so for a next patch. Still rest of the game is perfectly fine and quite awesome.

wait, wait... I obviously haven't followed this game very closely, but there's no online multiplayer? ...What the hell? Isn't that standard in this genre now?

Parakeetman

wait, wait... I obviously haven't followed this game very closely, but there's no online multiplayer? ...What the hell? Isn't that standard in this genre now?

Nope not really a standard. Not here in Japan anyways.

Was already talked about why the decision was made for no online. As stupid of a decision as it was, its a very "Japanese" decision as in short sighted. But also possibly goes to show that they have no intention of releasing this in the West, since without online people will bitch cry and moan incessantly causing the game to not sell well.

Its not like an online mode is something you can shoe horn in later on also, with all the work that needs to go into the development for that. Since SEGA has not announced anything like will add in later too wouldnt hold your breath on it.

Title stands perfectly fine on its own as a SP game with the added bonus of adhoc play. Its not like there isnt a "free" option to go and play if you want to play a game in the Phantasy Star universe online anyways.

Parakeetman

SAO didn't have it other, GE2 and FW both got it with the patch.

More like those were announced ahead of time that it was going to have the mode in, so would appreciate it if you stopped doing the constant incorrect comparison. Its why fans of both GE2 and FW were all pissed off with how long it took for the online modes to finally be released. GE2 was the worst by far since by then nobody gave a shit about the game for the most part. As that one came out insanely late.

Any chance of it releasing stateside?

As mentioned above, seeing how they did not put in an online mode I doubt it and am certain its not like they dont know how much no internet play for games like these causes Western gamers to freak out.

Really stupid truthfully since they obviously do not want to bring out PSO2 in the West or sure are taking their sweet ass time, this game would have been the stopgap in the mean time while they figure shit out.

Can understand why about the PSO2 situation since its not like its really subscription based therefore all the backend stuff with running a MMO would be highly expensive. Sure there might be a hardcore vocal community, but not sure if thats enough to pay the bills, since its a F2P title. Though they really should get rid of that US PSO2 page if they are not planning on doing it. Have 50+ hours into the game, 3 characters at lv 60+ and still have not cleared it yet on purpose.

Would be nice to be proven wrong, but I would not be too hopeful on it currently. I have not followed up on whats going on with an Asian version if there is one, since it seems those "sometimes" get ported into some form of English. But as stated since do not follow up on whats going on for those titles, not sure what the situation with this game is or SEGAs stance on Asia in general.

Overall Id say its highly unfortunate since this is a pretty good game with some technical issues aside, such as with the massive slowdown boss. But the amount of content in the game and play-time to be had from it is most def there. Ive by far gotten my $$$ worth with how much time I have put into the title already and am still playing it.

Top Bottom