• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud Coming to Switch

Tom Nook

DJo2AxeVwAAZ96_.jpg

come to NA :(

Malyse

Yes. Will download for sure. Hopefully I can tie the sign in to my account like PSN and not have to put in a password every time.

Maybe if you're not sensitive to lag at all, sure they're fine.

In no game is the latency from the US to a Japanese server "fine". Then again with all the remote play enthusiasts here I shouldn't be surprised.
Oh please. I've been playing it for years from the UK, even having to use a hacky VPN for some of that time - it has less noticeable lag then when I used to play Runescape on a non-UK/EU server and about the same amount as Phantasy Star Universe had.

The game is mostly client side - damage calculations, other player movements and stuff like boss phase transitions are handled by the servers so even during a huge lag spike you can continue playing unhindered. And even those are rare, I haven't had one in about a year.

Kimawolf

WOW what kind of nonsense is this SEGA? You have people in the West who'd LOVE to play this game, just bring it over for christ's sake! I wil download the JPN version even if I don't understand any of the language.

Isn't there an English patch?

I've sunk hundreds of hours in PSO2 with the patch.

It doesn't translate the story, but who care about the story?

I tried it over a year ago and so much stuff like items weren't translated.

The lag was the worst offender. Buddy of mine would be across the map on his screen but right next to me on mine. Not sure if it's lag or server "de-sync" but either way it's stupid in a co-op game.

The lag was the worst offender. Buddy of mine would be across the map on his screen but right next to me on mine. Not sure if it's lag or server "de-sync" but either way it's stupid in a co-op game.

Well, latency is indeed a glaring issue. I guess playing from NA the lag would be noticeable. Luckily for me, the latency is still pretty low, like below 100 from Southeast Asia.

But in my experience in other games, pve is rarely affected by latency. I mean, I do play online games with NA server every time, with The Division and Destiny 2 with the most recent ones. Maybe it's depending on the game too.

Cmagus

Isn't there an English patch?

I've sunk hundreds of hours in PSO2 with the patch.

It doesn't translate the story, but who care about the story?

There is on PC and I've sunk so many hours into it,spent money on it but it's not the same as just having it in English. I've jumped back in here and there but when that whole lockout thing happened I stopped enjoying it because I wasn't willing to invest anymore into it if that can happen again and most of my friends I played with bailed on it at that point.

I invested years into this franchise between PSO and especially PSU.I hate when these topics pop up I'm always bothered about the fact they didn't bring it here and it's a shame because the game is so damn good lol. The dream is dead though but honestly I'd drop everything I'm playing right now if it came to the US.

Localizing it for the West now would mean translating and localizing 5 years' worth of content... I'm not sure why anyone would expect it now if all times but people seem shocked anyway.

Vamphuntr

Localizing it for the West now would mean translating and localizing 5 years' worth of content... I'm not sure why anyone would expect it now if all times but people seem shocked anyway.

And if they didn't bother to do it for the PC and PS4 version there's no reason they would do it for the switch.

Aww. I was really hoping for a native Switch port seeing how the Vita version exists. I can't imagine streaming this outside Japan in any playable fashion. PC version remains my portable PSO2 fix for now.

Garou

So to summarize:

Download-only
Free-to-play with microtransactions.
Players won't have to download any game-data and will be able to play "wherever they have a stable internet-connection"
Client streams what looks to be the PC-version (like OnLive/DQX 3DS/...)

I wonder if they Geo-block the access to the streaming-server.

If a native port was basically never going to get localized, a CLOUD-streamed version makes that beyond impossible. Pretty worthless announcement honestly, and I wanted PSO2 on Switch badly, but not like this. :(

DQ Builders 1 was a better announcement, and that's coming to NA (and EU I assume).

ezodagrom

That sucks. Why not just make the game natively on the NS? Not interested at all now.
The game is around 50~60GB on PC, PS4 version is close to that as well, and since the game is gonna keep getting updated, space needed is gonna keep going up, so I guess maybe they opted for streaming because of this?

Sriracha_X

Neo Member
I'm really happy the Switch is getting PSO2 in one way or another, but having it being played over the cloud concerns me a little. PSO2 is a full-blown action game so responsiveness is important. It would be bad going in on an Emergency Quest like Zephyros, Mother, etc. knowing you've got, say, a 200ms delay on your actions due to the cloud. I haven't seen it in action, nor do I know the tech behind the cloud infrastructure Sega will be using, so maybe it won't be a problem at all.

I feel that the Switch could easily handle a game like PSO2 since it runs on toasters, but the main thing holding it back is the storage. As others have pointed out, PSO2 takes up about 50-60GB of space on PC, so I can see why they've decided to go the streaming route.

Items definitely were translated...I've been playing PSO2 on and off since the middle of Episode 2 (about 3 years ago) and I remember the vast majority of items being translated at that point. The English patch translates almost everything needed to play comfortably (items, mission names, menu things, client orders, etc.). Things like superfluous NPC text, story dialogue, and so on are the things that are left untranslated.

I'd guess that "de-sync" issue is a connection issue. I've seen plenty of cases where other people have to "catch up" on my client. They'd look like they're fighting against empty air and then all of a sudden they snap to where they're supposed to be. It isn't a very common thing for me though, and it tends to happen when my internet goes crazy. Sometimes you get into a laggy MPA and all sorts of weird stuff happens.

Boogiepop

Hmm, if this is actually playable from the US, then I'll give it a look. But with Cloud streaming junk, that seems like kind of a big "if"...

As someone who hasn't ever played PSO I'd really like to understand the reverence people who have for this. Guess that's not gonna happen.

OmegaFax

Is making it a cloud game a way of IP locking it while still maintaining Nintendo's newly found region free stance?

Blues1990

Has any of the major publications called Sega out on this? Never mind that they failed to keep their promise of the localization for the PC version many moons ago?

Malyse

Phantasy Star Online 2 is pretty import friendly. You can figure out most of the game without reading Japanese. I should know, I have it on Vita.

Aomber

I'm always surprised how many people don't know you can play the Japanese version on PC with a perfect english translation patch and an english community. Lag wasn't an issue from North America for me. Also, you guys probably don't want a localized version anyway because it would be so far behind the japanese version at this point.

That said, last I played the game, it wasn't as good as similar games in English to be honest.

kaioshade

I'm always surprised how many people don't know you can play the Japanese version on PC with a perfect english translation patch and an english community. Lag wasn't an issue from North America for me. Also, you guys probably don't want a localized version anyway because it would be so far behind the japanese version at this point.

That said, last I played the game, it wasn't as good as similar games in English to be honest.

I dont know about perfect. Last few times i tried to play, there was a lot of dialogue that was untranslated. When people say perfect, i expect everything to be translated. Menus and weapons with everything else in japanese is not "perfect" for me.

Maxinas

Give it up guys, it's not coming to NA. I even bet there's a higher chance they release a Phantasy Star Online 3 then this game ever releasing outside of Japan.

night814

REGION FREE BABY

SUCK IT SEGA

I wonder if I can use my character from 2 years ago. That'd be dope and I could easily play through the JP version after playing the English translation for over a year.

Still waiting on an official version here though :/

Harpoon

The rumblings have been that this is never coming to NA because of contracts that SEGA signed with a Chinese company preventing release on Steam. Even if that makes it so that they have no intention of doing a PC release, maaaaybe it being on Switch alongside PS4 will make them consider doing an English translation for consoles...?

Laiza

Give it up guys, it's not coming to NA. I even bet there's a higher chance they release a Phantasy Star Online 3 then this game ever releasing outside of Japan.
100% chance of them releasing a PSO3 before an NA PSO2.

In fact, don't be surprised if they announce PSO3 next year or the year after and there's still no announcement of a Western PSO2 release.

Kouriozan

Sega I hate you, played on PC with the English patch but it would be better on console.
I spent like 1k hours on PSO Episode 1 & 2, why can't this game be localized >.<

Sami+

lol. I remember quitting the JP version years ago because I thought the NA release was right around the corner and I didn't wanna lose my progress.

100% chance of them releasing a PSO3 before an NA PSO2.

In fact, don't be surprised if they announce PSO3 next year or the year after and there's still no announcement of a Western PSO2 release.

According to Sega they want PSO2 to last 10 years, we're on year 5.

Top Bottom