• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT| YOUR MAJESTY

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I couldn't find this item on the Arks Cash site. Can someone translate the name for me?
Fox ears.

Done for today. Got to 40, which was fun. Cleared almost all nodes on the 3rd Matter Board, but I somehow can't make the node on F5 to pop. The description says nothing about it, but maybe I really should do that second story mission already... I wonder if I'll be able to get my mag to 150 tomorrow, since it's 145 at the moment (or 143, not sure).

zoku88

Well, I haven't played since I did the tutorial on the 4th. Hopefully I can find some people to hang with today :-/

Btw, two of the last guides in the OP link to this thread without a post number.

The more I play this game the more I start to hate it. Maybe ti's my buddy I'm playing with. I've been playing very casually, reading up on things as I go and just having fun taking down bosses and shit. He's obsessed though, and every time we're together tells me I'm making my char wrong and not utilizing the best stat potentials, blah blah.

He's right, I craft abilities and shit, grind, but I don't sit there figuring out how to min/max everything. If anything the whole item grind/ability system is depressing to me, but maybe I just haven't found the spirit for this game yet. And yeah, I did play/enjoy PSO1.

Nokiri

Neo Member
The more I play this game the more I start to hate it. Maybe ti's my buddy I'm playing with. I've been playing very casually, reading up on things as I go and just having fun taking down bosses and shit. He's obsessed though, and every time we're together tells me I'm making my char wrong and not utilizing the best stat potentials, blah blah.

He's right, I craft abilities and shit, grind, but I don't sit there figuring out how to min/max everything. If anything the whole item grind/ability system is depressing to me, but maybe I just haven't found the spirit for this game yet. And yeah, I did play/enjoy PSO1.

the way to enjoy a game is to make it ur way and not listen to other ppl!

VariantX

Just find some other people to play with. Playing any game like that sucks the fun out of it if all you want to do is go in a field, kill everything insight with your group members, and on occasion, say "look at the new thing I found, its so shiny!"

Nishastra

Banned
Yeah, I hate that kind of thing.

I mean, I like my character to be powerful, but I'm way more interested in just making things explode than in ensuring that I have the absolute highest possible DPS, especially in a game like this.

The guy is trying to put MMO mechanics in a game that's more based on skill. The only thing I remember from PSO where min-max is ideal was challenge mode and even here it's more on how well you can play your class.

On a related note, I just hit level 40. Time to take a break until the new area is here.

Mistle

Yeah, while I do pay attention to having good basic stats for my class, it's never an obsession. I feel that'd just suck the fun out of the game.

The fun in PSO to me comes from running missions with other people and hunting those brilliant red boxes/rare enemies. Defeating bosses, hard enemies... If you get overly bogged down in stats, then to me, you're missing the point of the game.

I do love stats, especially with all the Ragne soul's but in the end I find much more enjoyment in the element that anything can happen in a casual run. A boss could just appear outta nowhere. A cruel avoid ends up killing you.

It's all about the experience. If anything I'm obsessed about muti-party area bosses.
It's so fun to be a part of huge chaos yet everyone understanding and even reviving people not in their party.

Edit: I'd like grinding more if it wasn't so pricey. I used 90k on just grinding. One (rare) item was almost 5k a grind!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What's awesome about PSO2 (vs PSO, where min/maxing was very prevelant due to mats, mags, and stat caps), is that you CAN try and min/max, or you can ignore it entirely. The ability to grind stats and attributes gives those with that mentality something to strive for outside of rare hunting.

That being said, I would say you're gimping yourself by not grinding your weapons up a little (since there's no risk for the first few grinds), and by not raising your mag to SOME degree...That's part of the PSO experience, so you should be partaking it in by default!

Nishastra

Banned
I kinda regret putting multiple points into Weak Bullet. It's great (fantastic, even), but I primarily use a Launcher and it turns out that switching weapons wastes any Weak Bullet charges you still have, so firing one and then switching to my Launcher is useless.

That's not how it sounded like it worked from hearing people talk about it.

Enjoy your low levels, they go by in a breeze.

Not that the higher levels are all that hard to level up but rather that if you arn't fighting foes at or above your level and doing daily Client Orders it starts to feel like a slog.

Emitan

How much does your race actually matter? Is anyone going to care that I'm a Cast playing as a Force instead of a Ranger or Hunter?

Ashodin

How much does your race actually matter? Is anyone going to care that I'm a Cast playing as a Force instead of a Ranger or Hunter?

I don't think so. From what I've read it technically doesn't matter. I love games like these where you can play what you want without prejudice.

Nishastra

Banned
Anyone who does isn't worth worrying about :p

The differences are small. Really small.

I actually kind of miss the old Cast abilities, though... Gone are our trap vision, health regeneration, and natural ability to set traps... But now we can be (techno-)magical robots!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Do you have to have a premium account to trade or drop items for others?
Both people need to have the premium account to trade and only some items can be dropped on the ground, which is unrelated to the premium status.

I kinda regret putting multiple points into Weak Bullet. It's great (fantastic, even), but I primarily use a Launcher and it turns out that switching weapons wastes any Weak Bullet charges you still have, so firing one and then switching to my Launcher is useless.

Weak bullet is what I want to get next since Rifle damage pales in comparison to the Launcher.

Although I'm not even sure if Weak Bullet will bring it up to par.

Nishastra

Banned
Well, see, the thing is, Weak Bullet makes a weak point on the enemy.

If you then fire at that weak point with a Launcher... Well, I've been doing 3000+ damage against the desert boss :p

The biggest benefit from Weak Bullet would probably be how much it helps other people do damage. It's relatively hard to leverage it well yourself (once you get multiple shots) because to avoid wasting the shots you can't use normal Assault Rifle attacks and can't switch weapons.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Weak Bullet is incredible. The reason you take it to 3 is so that if you miss the point you wanted to hit, you can fire again (you wanted to hit the head but you hit the body - take a second shot!). With a moderately OK rifle, I used the PA that you lay down and fire...I hit for 1200-1500/hit at level 14. It's crazy good.

Don't let yourself become a one-gun pony. I love launchers (because let's all be serious - they hit hard), but there are times when using a launcher is a terrible idea. Being able to move and shoot makes rifles worth their weight in gold against some enemies. Not even the launcher PA where you hop on and ride it gives you the same mobility as run and gun rifle style.

Nishastra

Banned
So far, I've only really needed my Assault Rifle for Vol Dragon. When you're the only human player, you need to be able to move, because he's constantly going to be gunning for you.

I have a lot of Rocket Arena experience, so using Launchers even in awkward situations just kind of comes naturally :p

Edit: Oh, and the city boss thing, but I shouldn't really have been doing that by myself :p

So are rangers pretty much the most powerful class? Seems that way from what I've played so far. As least you don't have to tag monsters for EXP anymore. I play a hunter and rangers generally toast just about everything with launchers by the time I get in close with my sword.

Tain

The guy is trying to put MMO mechanics in a game that's more based on skill. The only thing I remember from PSO where min-max is ideal was challenge mode and even here it's more on how well you can play your class.

On a related note, I just hit level 40. Time to take a break until the new area is here.

That reminds me, is there a Challenge mode in this? That always seemed like the coolest part of PSO.

Tain

The coolest part of Challenge was the strict penalty for death, so I'm hoping they eventually have some mode like that if Time Attack doesn't behave that way.

Nishastra

Banned
So are rangers pretty much the most powerful class? Seems that way from what I've played so far. As least you don't have to tag monsters for EXP anymore. I play a hunter and rangers generally toast just about everything with launchers by the time I get in close with my sword.
I dunno. Hunters get to flip out and swing huge enemies around their heads and stuff. That has to count for something.

I don't really know what Forces have yet. They always were the late-bloomers. I hope there's something as awesome (looking/sounding) as Rafoie was in PSO :p

Experienced my first ever cross burst in the emergency city mission - and it had a Ragne right in the middle of it. Crazy stuff, only wish I was set up to record footage.

pso20120707_222912_114.jpg

pso20120707_223027_116.jpg

pso20120707_223442_120.jpg

Also, there's nothing unhealthy about playing this game for 10 straight hours, right? ... right?

I've maxed out Weak Bullet and never regretted it. Several of the rifle PAs are quite powerful, so use that as the followup rather than waste time switching with the launcher.

It's definitely more useful with teams however.

I've maxed out Weak Bullet and never regretted it. Several of the rifle PAs are quite powerful, so use that as the followup rather than waste time switching with the launcher.

It's definitely more useful with teams however.

Definitely - put a weak bullet in front of me so I can nuke for 2k+ damage, and I'll love you forever.

VariantX

I think they're very closely balanced with each other. Hunters get in and hit hard consistently though they bear the most risk by having to be close. They can block as well as avoid damage altogether with well timed dashes. They also will likely draw attention from big monsters to give rangers and forces breathing room to use their skills. Rangers are really good at targeting and exploiting weak points and the other classes benefit well when weak bullet is used. Forces just nuke everything and will likely have entire mobs suffering from various status effects and all the while buffing and healing the party. I think it's probably easier for rangers to solo some bosses though.

Emitan

I'm kind of switching between giving my MAG Force and Ranger weapons because I'm alternating between those two classes (Force for groups, Ranger for solo). Is this going to screw me over? And can you repec your MAG?

Ashodin

So I need a starting buddy for my semi-temporary character on Ship 10 (since Ship 2 is not open for more characters yet to play with GAF).

Any takers?

I'm kind of switching between giving my MAG Force and Ranger weapons because I'm alternating between those two classes (Force for groups, Ranger for solo). Is this going to screw me over? And can you repec your MAG?

If you're okay with your mag not having any particular specialty, that's fine.

I don't think you can re-spec a mag, but there are ways to get more. Some may or may not require some AC.

Nishastra

Banned
If you're okay with your mag not having any particular specialty, that's fine.

I don't think you can re-spec a mag, but there are ways to get more. Some may or may not require some AC.
You can respec mags as well as buy new ones. Both cost AC.

Buying new ones costs less, oddly. Similarly, respeccing a skill build costs more than buying an extra build.

Perhaps there's some that I don't have yet, but the stongest Rifle PA I have (the one where you lay down very briefly and fire) does not even come close to the damage of the basic huge explosion Launcher one. While I could probably get off two of the Rifle one in the time it takes me to switch to my Launcher and fire, the Launcher one does twice the damage anyway.

Edit: Not that it really matters anyway. Weak Bullet really is primarily for team use :p

Nishastra

Banned
I still don't have any friends except for the Petabyte guy. I sent a bunch of invites, but of those I got 5 people in the "not friends yet" list and no sign of anyone else.

Emitan

Any way to change my armor color? I think the options for it were grey when I went to re customize my character.

Nishastra

Banned
Any way to change my armor color? I think the options for it were grey when I went to re customize my character.
I dunno. It's weird that those options are greyed out while others have the AC symbol... I dunno whether or not you can change them even with the 500 AC "aesthetics pass".

It would be a weird thing to limit while allowing everything else.

Uhh... I just looked it up, and the only way to change color is to trade in an outfit gained from an AC scratch card... Then you can get a "color ticket"...

Top Bottom