• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2's gamepad support is outstanding. Others should learn from it.

Wonko_C

Although the Xbox 360 controller has become the standard, not everyone uses it, meaning that some of us have to resort to different methods to play modern games, ranging from emulating Xinput to using KB/M emulators. And while most of the times that's totally functional, we still see Xbox button prompts (or keyboard keys) on each game's HUD.

What about those people who use Playstation controllers? or those controllers with numbered buttons? Enter Phantasy Star Online 2 with its highly customizable options, not only for mapping buttons that fit your preferences, but also for displaying the corresponding button symbols.

You can configure which do you want to see in the options:
quGg7s8.jpg

All 4 different button symbols side by side:
ItvlieS.jpg

The downside to this is that you have to go into a menu and set which button set you want the game to use, and it doesn't switch between keyboard/gamepad buttons display like most other games.

But the feature that's a godsend, is this following screen:
sT23KsV.jpg

Basically it means that you won't end with mismatching buttons, I use an old PS2 to USB adapter and most games think Triangle is Cross, Circle is Square, etc. But in PSO2 you can tell the game which button corresponds to which symbol.

With the PS4 controller confirmed working with PCs out of the box and with the PC version of Arkham Origins showing Playstation symbols, there is hope that this becomes more common. Thoughts?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Nice to know they have such variety.

Speaking of which, has Sega said anything regarding a Western release? I'm getting impatient.

MightyKAC

Nice to know they have such variety.

Speaking of which, has Sega said anything regarding a Western release? I'm getting impatient.

I'm with this guy.

The moment Sega decides that the US is good enough to have it's own version of PSO2 will be the exact same moment that I decide to actually give a shit about it's game and support it.

I'd play the JP version, but the lag makes it feel awful because of the delay between the attack hitting and the appropriate feedback from monsters.

Coxy

I'd play the JP version, but the lag makes it feel awful because of the delay between the attack hitting and the appropriate feedback from monsters.

you shouldnt be getting that much lag, when did you try playing it?
if it was near launch sega didnt have the servers to cope with millions of players, they mostly do now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Biohazard 6 on PC also has this. But it uses 360 button descriptions instead of having PS3/360/whatever button icons. At least you can remap it to where ready/fire aren't on the triggers if you're using a DS3, for instance. More than you can say for most games that "support the 360 pad" only.

"you shouldnt be getting that much lag, when did you try playing it?
if it was near launch sega didnt have the servers to cope with millions of players, they mostly do now."

It was admittedly beta/near launch, but I still can't imagine it would be that much better, just due to distance. It's getting to the point where I may not have a choice, though.

Jubern

hey trying to register for a sega id getting this error, can anyone help?
fsYzogS.jpg

You're using a type of password that isn't allowed. I don't remember exactly what it wants, but try to have a 8 characters-long (at least) PW with a downcase letter, uppercase letter and number in it.

Top Bottom