• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Universe: X360 servers cross regional, Gamespy interview.

kiryogi

Banned
http://xbox360media.gamespy.com/xbo.../phantasy-star-universe-20060927054422283.jpg

GameSpy: Are there any features in PSU that will be exclusive to one platform over the others, or will all platforms get essentially the same game?
Setsumasa: Because Phantasy Star Universe will be available on all three platforms (PC, PS2, Xbox 360), each platform will essentially be the same game, but on the Xbox 360, there will be additional features via Xbox Live such as voice chat. In addition, gamers will be able to connect and play with others worldwide including Japan and Europe.

Nice bit, but I wonder if this will give you guys server compacitiy issues? As my friend put it: "Man, thats just sad. PC/PS2 PSU players can't even fit on one server with japan only, But Xbox PSU is planning on having one server for Japan, America, and Europe. Talk about the black sheep of the group", but who knows.

Cheers!

ant1532

Banned
kiryogi said:
http://xbox360media.gamespy.com/xbo.../phantasy-star-universe-20060927054422283.jpg

Nice bit, but I wonder if this will give you guys server compacitiy issues? As my friend put it: "Man, thats just sad. PC/PS2 PSU players can't even fit on one server with japan only, But Xbox PSU is planning on having one server for Japan, America, and Europe. Talk about the black sheep of the group", but who knows.

Cheers!
Who am I going to play in Japan?

:)

Nice, but this should be not a special feature. When is this coming to the 360 in the US again?
(ive asked so much but I dont remember someone answering.)

kiryogi

Banned
ant1532 said:
Who am I going to play in Japan?

:)

Nice, but this should be not a special feature. When is this coming to the 360 in the US again?
(ive asked so much but I dont remember someone answering.)

Same as PS2/PC versions, this october. 24th? I think. You need to understand that my friends quote relates to the server issues we've had in the beginning. But who knows how exactly it'll be handled. It sounds like the cheap and easy way to handle it if they really tossed you guys all on the same server world.

Lhadatt

kiryogi said:
It won't be just one server, chief.

xblcluster.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
Lhadatt said:
It won't be just one server, chief.

xblcluster.jpg

The problem here buddy is that PSU's network structure doesn't exactly work like that. Unless it was recoded for X360. The way it has been handled so far was the addition of the world system. It seems theres only 1 server for login,patch, and my room. And when a high load, it started to overload the system. Hence they did the world system to completely seperate and decrease load. What I was suggested was either they only had 1 world (1 world can be 36 servers, but still sharing the same myroom servers and etc) or they can have 1 world per region.

Lhadatt

kiryogi said:
The problem here buddy is that PSU's network structure doesn't exactly work like that. Unless it was recoded for X360. The way it has been handled so far was the addition of the world system. It seems theres only 1 server for login,patch, and my room. And when a high load, it started to overload the system. Hence they did the world system to completely seperate and decrease load. What I was suggested was either they only had 1 world (1 world can be 36 servers, but still sharing the same myroom servers and etc) or they can have 1 world per region.
That's nice. Sega didn't plan their network effectively, yay.

They're likely doing things differently this time. Large-scale server farm architecture (and MMO hosting in particular) has matured rapidly since the original PSO. Even if they haven't figured it out by now, MS would have probably stepped in and dictated the network structure since PSU's servers have to talk to the core XBL servers.

kiryogi

Banned
Lhadatt said:
That's nice. Sega didn't plan their network effectively, yay.

They're likely doing things differently this time. Large-scale server farm architecture (and MMO hosting in particular) has matured rapidly since the original PSO. Even if they haven't figured it out by now, MS would have probably stepped in and dictated the network structure since PSU's servers have to talk to the core XBL servers.

Well in theory, it looked okay from the CLOSED betas, that didn't really stress test them at all :Which was the point of the damned closed beta), reality hit them hard came launch day. In any case, I look forward to seeing how this is all handled and if US will cry as much as we have.

Great........not only are they making us pay for it, but they're also making us have to listen to a bunch of people not speaking English.

I keed, I keed..........maybe

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I don't get this. Will all versions be able to play worldwide or is it just the X360 version to make up for lack of connection to the PS2/PC players?

kiryogi

Banned
Lindsay said:
I don't get this. Will all versions be able to play worldwide or is it just the X360 version to make up for lack of connection to the PS2/PC players?

Only x360 is cross regional.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Jooiiiiin usssssss...

360 for me, I am too lazy to deal with the PC version.
(that and me friends are all getting the 360 version)

kiryogi

Banned
Those real men will probably be wanting lube in terms of support theyre gonna be getting from sega if im right about the current state of things. (Tho in general this applies to the us side of things, so ps2/pc us included)

MegaTen

Banned
kiryogi said:
That's the spirit! PS2/PC FTW!
I'll drink to that! And.. who wan't to play with the crappy XBL community for dozens of hours? I can barely stand them with the smaller Xbox 360 games I already play.

Jonnyram

MegaTen said:
I'll drink to that! And.. who wan't to play with the crappy XBL community for dozens of hours?
The XBL community has been anything but crappy for me. I guess you're just not used to the concept of "friends". There's no need to play with total strangers. You find nice people, you add them to your friendlist, you play with them again. It's easy, and much more fun than playing with random strangers. A good comparison is set parties in MMOs like FFXI. You get your party of six and you may as well be playing on a separate server altogether. You don't care about others, in fact you'd rather avoid them if possible.

MegaTen

Banned
Yes, I'm used to the concept of "friends" but sometimes, it can be hard to schedule times to play instead of just jumping online and playing.. which I would much rather do with the PS2/PC crowd. My experiences with Ver. 2 and Blue Burst on Pc have been mostly great when it came to playing with strangers. I'm not exactly thrilled when I hop on live and hear the voices of a bunch of racist homophobes.

Daigoro

kiryogi said:
Only x360 is cross regional.

i thought pc/ps2 versions were US and Europe joined?

great news for the 360 version though. at least its got something going for it. *snort*

john tv said:
F the PS2/PC version. Real men play on X360. :D

oh hell no. PC version 4 LYFE!

Nikashi

Banned
To be honest, this just pushed the game into my 'Buy' column. Playing PSO with Japanese players rocks, and I have a bunch of friends in Japan I know will be getting this.

Top Bottom