• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer admits F2P is future, not subscription model...

SSfox

He really has no idea what the fuck he's doing. Today he say something, tomorrow another thing, and a week later another thing.

Bro the future is simply "GREAT GAMES", either it can be full priced games, and it can be F2P games, but mostly it's gonna be the full priced games, as for those F2P it's veryspecial and rare to hit the Fortnite, PUBG, Genshin success. Many F2P have failed hardcore and still do.

I doubt this. You'd just wait for a sale.

We used to pay 65-$80 for SNES games back in the 90s, N64 games were always around the $60 price point too I believe. I do not have financial hardships, and that certainly factors into things. I definitely used wait for games that I don't have an interest in to hit low prices, but games that I'm interested in I am very willing to spend $ on to support, but I'm not interested in getting ripped off.

I would rather spend $100 on a game I'm going to play and not have to waste time on buying a battlepass to unlock a stupid weapon charm than $20 on 4 games that will just sit in my Steam collection to never be touched.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Played Path of Exile like crazy. Never spent a single cent and had fun doing it the entire time.

Thanks, whales!
I’m not a F2P gamer as I just like traditional COD, but if I played F2P games and I got in some good gaming time for $0 all the better. It’s not like whales care about spending $1000 to help offset $0 gamers so it’s a win win.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GP is for games with traditional campaigns (whether single player only or with multi-player coop).
I agree with you. But I think Phil Spencer finally admitted that gamings future is multiplayer. That's why he gave us the 10 to 15 percent number.

More people want to invest their time in 1 game (metaverse) than jump from short SP game to short SP game.

The F2P landscape is going to go from fairly barren, to extremely lush, over the next 3 years. PlayStation is going to go from 1 GAAS to 12 GAAS in that time. Companies like Ubisoft, Activision, EA, Nintendo, MS, Square etc...are all dropping more and more F2P in that time too.

GHG

He really has no idea what the fuck he's doing. Today he say something, tomorrow another thing, and a week later another thing.

Bro the future is simply "GREAT GAMES", either it can be full priced games, and it can be F2P games, but mostly it's gonna be the full priced games, as for those F2P it's veryspecial and rare to hit the Fortnite, PUBG, Genshin success. Many F2P have failed hardcore and still do.

The company ethos is to follow, not to lead, and this is the result. Always one step behind.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
vu9dyLLqpdpU8Ty4g2NbSkQWithAy194X4KIbV61dyn9T96tvjENlbZwF19Bdph-8S9623J6sRLhvO02mkN5UUbVt1yU5hj9HQTNWSyZAqez4kz-n6F3bsJE6P9RcuGA7MJZLygB

DaGwaphics

I agree with you. But I think Phil Spencer finally admitted that gamings future is multiplayer. That's why he gave us the 10 to 15 percent number.

More people want to invest their time in 1 game (metaverse) than jump from short SP game to short SP game.

The F2P landscape is going to go from fairly barren, to extremely lush, over the next 3 years. PlayStation is going to go from 1 GAAS to 12 GAAS in that time. Companies like Ubisoft, Activision, EA, Nintendo, MS, Square etc...are all dropping more and more F2P in that time too.

While I agree that most of the revenue will come from F2P (just like it always has been), I don't see this flourishing economy for a diverse number of titles. Chances are 80 or 90% of Sony's GAAS attempts will fall flat, as will MS's and everybody else's. There seem to be a limited number of games that can sustain the momentum and become raging hits. It's more of a throw it at the wall and pray type deal.

I think the market will always support a good amount of content that can be played solo or enjoyed with a few friends as desired (coop or vs). The trouble with games that require a large number of players and an active community to get matches is that as soon as they die off they are basically worthless. Where a single player or coop style game can still be enjoyed years later. At least I hope so, when most of the development money is just being pumped into MTX fests I probably won't be gaming nearly as much. I want to escape into beautiful created fantasy worlds, not game after game of fortnite style graphics.

reksveks

Played Path of Exile like crazy. Never spent a single cent and had fun doing it the entire time.

Thanks, whales!
Once you realise that Whales are funding the platforms/market, you (well i did) just stop worrying so much about the industry and how it may trend and hope that you still find games that interest you.

This happened to me when both MS and PS blamed either a drop in revenue or missing targets on a GAAS with lower engagement (Fortnite)

Last edited:
This is guy is lost, u can’t sell gamepass with ftp games lol, I why do I feel like ms is jumping ship, before even giving the subscription model a chance, both Sony and ms, it dose not look good for the future of gaming, console gaming is turning into, what we have on mobile and pc, indies and AAA ftp games.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I've come to accept that I just don't like the F2P model. I don't play any F2P game currently(dropped multiversus last month) although I have some interest in a couple of upcoming F2P games(more so based off the strength of who the devs are). Yes I know that shit popular but fuck that still.

mansoor1980

Gold Member

"phil SPIN DOCTOR spencer"

aclar00

Fashion Dress Up GIF by Xbox

Looks like hard work.

I still cant believe people pay for customizations....advantages, aka, pay to win i understand a bit. You want the best and are willing to pay for it. However, the "look at me, im unique and kool" crowd i just dont get.

When PS released the paid PSN icons for like a dollar i was like wtf, people gonna pay for this? Sure enough....Sometimes i just feel out and not in with the times. I was spoiled with unlockables...

TonyK

Great!! I play since Pong, I'm 48, and I always said fuck traditional games and move to free to play. Looking forward that bright future of time sinking disguised slot machines games!!

the_master

F2P is in a good place despite all the old heads complaining. It’s a game that’s free with cosmetics up for sale. I might spend 50$ on a game I put hundred of hours into on cosmetics by the time I put it down. 20$ on fall guys , 30 on infinite, 30 on cod (2 years of Warzone) which is 80$ on games I usually would pay 60/ 70 a piece. So yea it’s the future, some will spend a lot, some a little and the rest in the middle. The price should be fair but at the same time cosmetics don’t affect gameplay and strictly fomo. I think more games will be f2p but we have a decent balance rn.
No
The bad thing about f2p is that you design the game to create the need to spend, spend sooner, spend faster, spend bigger ammounts and more often… play for as long as possible and keep paying. That is why they make so much money, and it is unstoppable cuse it drives itself.
It is only getting worse.

It only took him half a decade to realize gamepass won’t be the future. Could be worse.

Honesty that Gamepass line is anything but hopeful that they expect a lot of growth from it. It’s weird.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
F2P unfortunately is the future... Pray that SONY F2P flop so they keep making Single player games 🤣
For a lot of gamers F2P is gaming. Hell, it's free. To lots of people it makes no difference if the games are crap or great. As long as the game is good enough to play for $0 that's all that matters.

Here's a scenario, McDonald's offers free hamburgers to everyone (the basic shitty one for kids). Everything else costs normal prices. Guess what? Even though it's a shit burger I bet tons of people would be lining up for it every day instead of paying money as normal for other Mcd's better burgers and competing chains. To some people, a shit free kids burger is good enough to satisfy their fast food itch.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

When all the games left to play are free to play, I'm done with gaming. Overwatch 2 is the perfect example. Going free to play just gives publisher license to fuck you harder on the monetization. How can you complain, it's free.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
For a lot of gamers F2P is gaming. Hell, it's free. To lots of people it makes no difference if the games are crap or great. As long as the game is good enough to play for $0 that's all that matters.

Here's a scenario, McDonald's offers free hamburgers to everyone (the basic shitty one for kids). Everything else costs normal prices. Guess what? Even though it's a shit burger I bet tons of people would be lining up for it every day instead of paying money as normal for other Mcd's better burgers and competing chains. To some people, a shit free kids burger is good enough to satisfy their fast food itch.

What your analogy fails to account for is that there are thousands of hamburger joints on the same block. All offering burgers at varying prices...and only a small number of hamburgers get repeat customers. Additionally, the free hamburgers are so delicious that a large number of customers throw cash at the owners because the experience is so exquisite.

In reality, the old way is dying because it's worse.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
When all the games left to play are free to play, I'm done with gaming. Overwatch 2 is the perfect example. Going free to play just gives publisher license to fuck you harder on the monetization. How can you complain, it's free.

If you're not interested in the MTX, they f*** you with (zero repercussions).

Goldeneye on the N64 offeres 0 skins.
Overwatch 2 offers you 0 skins that appeal to you.

No difference other than Overwatch 2 being a way better game than Goldeneye.

ReBurn

Gold Member
He's probably right. Free with in-app purchases on mobile is the model that makes the most money and mobile is leading in revenue. The way we play games on console and PC now will succumb to this model as people who don't remember a time before mobile phones become the primary consumers of video games.

I don't know if that's true but it sounds like it could happen.

aclar00

What clothes did you wear today? What kind of car do you drive?

Unironically, a black t-shirt and performance pants...and a 5 year old Rav4 that we got once we had a kid. Both more functional than unique. Dont get me wrong, i understand the yearnintlg to be unique or standout, but to spend money to do so on a digital character that isnt a direct representation of self just baffles me a bit....but to each their own.

There are people who would question why i pay for video games, just as i would question why someone else would pay what i would consider an exhubertant amount of money on them.

Top Bottom