• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer confirms Overwatch, Diablo and Call Of Duty are headed to Game Pass

Jennings

I'm not interested in any of these games, but they seem pretty popular among their respective fan bases. This sounds like good news for Gamepass subscribers. And it's thoughtful of Microsoft to permit Playstation gamers to still buy these games outright, I bet that will more than make up for the money Microsoft loses by putting these onGamepass.

It would be even be cool to see some Gamepass exclusive content like quests, skins, character unlocks and the like.

Is this even legal? President Biden, put an end to this malarkey.

ELqidShX0AU7yYl-rcm480x0u.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Of course it was, why wouldn't it be.
Y'all seem to make up your own rules about game pass as you go; all first party games go to game pass, period, this isn't news.
Because they just laid out the roadmap for Gamepass at E3 and Diablo wasn't on it when everything else was. This just confirms it.

kevm3

Microsoft cares less about moving 'more boxes' than Sony, but want to dominate the eyespace with subscriptions. They aren't going to shut out millions upon millions of customers by making Call of Duty exclusive. Microsoft wants to be more akin to the Netflix of gaming than the Dell, so they're not concerned about Sony having more hardware wins. As long as they get more subscriptions, they are fine. I doubt Xbox will have many exclusives this gen, but will be the place where you can play the games first on gamepass. Interesting strategy

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm cautiously optimistic...some have implied that a focus on Gamepass can lead to lower overall quality.

I'm sure this won't happen immediately but as time goes on, quality will drop. I guess we'll see.
I think that as long as MS has competition, they'll have reason to make large scale AAA games.

What I hope for though is that GP allows for more games to be made that aren't entirely dependent on physical sales. That means more AA games, more niche genres. If people are already going to get the games dropped in their lap simply for subbing to play Call of Duty, then it could turn a lot of people onto things they've never even played or knew they liked. I actually think it could potentially save AA gaming in this era of big budget homogenization and risk averse AAA projects. You can call that a drop in quality, or a good thing.

yamaci17

Infinite Warfare is legit one of the best first person shooter campaigns of the PS4/XBO generation.

It go a lot of shit owing to when it came out and terrible marketing, but legitimately one of the best campaigns.

thanks. I always did wish they sold campaign separetly from multiplayer for a cheaper price. then I could've considered buying them. buying normal price for full game is not worth to me, since I'm not interested in cod multiplayer anymore. i really liked cod mltiplayer back in 2009 with cod modern warfare but that was about it. potential cheat rampancy alone will forever keep me out of fps online games on on PC platform, and I cannot enjoy them with a gamepad so practically fps multiplayer genre is dead for me aside from Overwatch, but then i played it for 500 hrs so it fulfilled its due for me as well

I know it's likely to never happen but fucking hell would I love to see a console port of WoW. Putting it on GP is exactly the catalyst they need to do so into a expanding group of people.

Rykan

Have you've seen League of Legends on Game Pass? All Characters unlocked.

Overwatch 2 and World of Warcraft will be similar when it's on Game Pass.
That's probably not what is being planned for OW2. Overwatch 2's pvp already gives you access to all characters.

Only Overwatch 2's pvp is planned to be free to play. The PVE/Campaign part is paid for and that's probably what will be added to Gamepass.

Topher

Gold Member
The whole reason Phil posted this is because it’s expected to close any day now. There is no “if”.

According to...?

"Activision Blizzard boss Bobby Kotick meanwhile stated he "still believe the deal is most likely to close" before June 2023."

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I think that as long as MS has competition, they'll have reason to make large scale AAA games.

What I hope for though is that GP allows for more games to be made that aren't entirely dependent on physical sales. That means more AA games, more niche genres. If people are already going to get the games dropped in their lap simply for subbing to play Call of Duty, then it could turn a lot of people onto things they've never even played or knew they liked. I actually think it could potentially save AA gaming in this era of big budget homogenization and risk averse AAA projects. You can call that a drop in quality, or a good thing.
Agreed, but that's only if the quality of those AA titles are consistent. I'm guessing these so called "Gamepass fodder" gamea like Gunk are the exception moving forward. Hopefully Hellblade 2 will be the true test of the AA Gamepass experience

legacy24

Phil you coward…you have everything in your hand to win the consoles war but you don’t use them 🤦‍♂️
I hate his gaming for everyone,everywhere take. That is not how you sell your console, it's sad how Xbox isn't even mentioned in that letter but mobile phones are instead.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Agreed, but that's only if the quality of those AA titles are consistent. I'm guessing these so called "Gamepass fodder" gamea like Gunk are the exception moving forward. Hopefully Hellblade 2 will be the true test of the AA Gamepass experience
Hellblade 2 is almost surely a AAA showpiece.

I enjoyed the Gunk. Not that much different from something like Stray. It was a giant step forward for a super small indie team. I'm still baffled by the negativity surrounding that game. I thought it looked great, and the vacuuming Gunk mechanic was similar to the digging in their previous games. Just a small indie game that was fun for a few days.

jorgejjvr

I hate his gaming for everyone,everywhere take. That is not how you sell your console, it's sad how Xbox isn't even mentioned in that letter but mobile phones are instead.
They aren't about selling just consoles anymore, they want you to subscribe. They don't care if it's on console, pc, mobile, cloud, Samsung TV etc

Microsoft wants to be more akin to the Netflix of gaming
I'd say Sony wants to be the Disney of gaming, and MS wants to be the Disney of gaming and IT whereas gaika and Onlive were the Netflix of gaming. Sony gobbled those two up and initially bet on streaming while MS invested into the Fox, Marvel, LucasArts acquisitions route.
As so now we’re listening to the guy responsible for killing his own company because he wants to hold on to his job as long as possible. Got it.
Dude "killed" his company by ageeing to sell it for billions?! MS buys rotten meat now or what? okay... If Pachter makes some funny predictions I guess laughing is possible, but I doubt Kotick's guesstimate is not him holding onto the job, "losing" it will net him billions, but the required time for an acquisition of that size.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why do you care about that? You can still buy an Xbox.

By this point xbox is a very cheap pc with a Microsoft storefront.
It doesn't matter if you play on xbox or pc, the playerbase is merged.

I'm thinking about a series x myself since it's cheaper than replacing the faulty GPU for my pc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The thing about CoD is that most of the revenue is coming from the season passes. So while Game Pass saves the user some money... unless you're just playing it for the campaign its not that great of a deal.

Which in turn does lead to asking the question that if GP is the future of CoD, is the campaign element living on borrowed time? Its a hugely expensive part of the experience to produce after all.

Gambit2483

Hellblade 2 is almost surely a AAA showpiece.

I enjoyed the Gunk. Not that much different from something like Stray. It was a giant step forward for a super small indie team. I'm still baffled by the negativity surrounding that game. I thought it looked great, and the vacuuming Gunk mechanic was similar to the digging in their previous games. Just a small indie game that was fun for a few days.

It could be a AAA title 🤔 Will definitely need to see a bit more though. I always considered the first game to be more in the AA camp though it was highly produced.

As for Gunk, I was actually interested in it until I read reviews and impressions...my understanding it's nothing to actually get Gamepass for. I think I might check it out though, you're the first person that has actually recommended it 😅

Last edited:

Darsxx82

They really want everyone to be sure PlayStation won't lose access to the COD IP i see. Them mentioning Minecraft seems good as well. That's what i thought.
It is something that has already been announced, but the relevant fact is that it only mentions COD when it says "day one and same version on Playstation".

The rest of the ACT-BLZ IPs are left out of that statement, which suggests the intention of making them exclusive to XBOX, or temporary exclusives or "better on XBOX".

DaGwaphics

Glad to hear the confirmation on GP, they weren't quite as clear on that when they mentioned it before.

Regarding the PS thing, we already knew that, they've been saying it for months. They've never even hinted at anything but that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom