• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Economic uncertainty means new xbox may not be priority. Strategy doesn't depend on this years sales.

Rolla

Banned
"People find real value in the investment that they make in gaming. You can buy a console, buy some games, and it can literally provide your family with hundreds of hours of entertainment. Even when we went back and looked at 2008-09, in that recession, to see what the impact was on gaming - gaming did OK. It was durable.

We want to make sure we're providing the right value to customers.

Price is going to be important.

But our strategy is centred around the player, not the device"

More at the source

Considering the approach PlayStation has already committed to aka fast conversion to PS5 the contrast will be stark and I'm guessing if Sony touts their sales, this type of sentiment kinda falls flat. THe problem is XBOX has always touted console and games sales and while they may be trying to move on from a metric of success that they created, I don't think the broader audience cares, understand, or gives a fuck about these new metrics, especially when XBOX refuses to say how many PAYING subscribers they have for any of their services.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Interested to see what the impact will be on their business once xCloud releases properly. Wasn't this planned for this year? Put it under the Game Pass flag.

Psykodad

Banned
Not surprising. Phil always said that they do not care how many systems they sell, but instead its about the subscription services like Game Pass Ultimate that will make the big $
It's because they know they can't compete with Sony and Nintendo and they're already focusing on their streaming services. Next-gen won't be any different from this gen and MS will like shift towards becoming the next EA.

But I'm just a fanboy console-warring these forums, so..

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

How is it a stupid statement? His implying that they want the console to be accessible to many people and that the price should be right.
Because the suggestion that the strategy isn't to sell a ton of Xboxes is fucking dumb on its face and irresponsible and insulting for people who've put their eggs in the Microsoft basket and partnered up with them.

Last edited:
It's because they know they can't compete with Sony and Nintendo and they're already focussing on their streaming services. Next-gen won't be any different from this gen and MS will like shift towards becoming the next EA.

To tell you the truth, you are acting like a console fanboy lol. Microsoft shifted their strategy a long time ago and have a different approach that will work for them.

Next gen is already better for MS than their old gen. They have a bunch of new 1st party studios and new IPs in the making. You might wanna go back to Sonyland where you belong bud.

GymWolf

Traduction

you-cant-be-disappointed-if-you-have-no-expectations.jpg

Because the suggestion that the strategy isn't to sell a ton of Xboxes is fucking dumb on its face and irresponsible and insulting for people who've put their eggs in the Microsoft basket and partnered up with them.

Lol. You don't need any of their consoles to play their games. You can play them on PC by subscribing to Game Pass and this is where the magic happens for publishers and devs. Many games will be far easier accessible than before. I don't get how people don't understand that Microsoft is trying to sell an eco system and not a box. The box is just a bridge if you don't have a PC.

I am pretty sure if this was stupid strategy that none of the 3rd party devs would go with it. Lol.

Rolla

Banned
Honestly it seems like pre damage control. Phil absolutely refuses to say how many actual "paying" GP subs they have. Giving away GP subs on the back of candy wrappers is one thing. A publisher looking to make money or at least help recuperate their investment on the XBOX platform is another.

I honestly think that statements like this lead to the disparity in the number of exclusives Sony is able to get from third party

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
To tell you the truth, you are acting like a console fanboy lol. Microsoft shifted their strategy a long time ago and have a different approach that will work for them.

Next gen is already better for MS than their old gen. They have a bunch of new 1st party studios and new IPs in the making. You might wanna go back to Sonyland where you belong bud.
You probably take it that way and I can't be bothered about it tbh.
All I'm saying is the obvious and now we have Phil Spencer indirectly saying the same as well. Again.
If that's me being a fanboy, I'm perfectly fine with it. People will realize it eventually.

MS already gave up going for the top as a console manufacturor a long time ago.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Lol. You don't need any of their consoles to play their games. You can play them on PC by subscribing to Game Pass and this is where the magic happens for publishers and devs. Many games will be far easier accessible than before. I don't get how people don't understand that Microsoft is trying to sell an eco system and not a box. The box is just a bridge if you don't have a PC.

I am pretty sure if this was stupid strategy that none of the 3rd party devs would go with it. Lol.
What if you don't have a PC?

Vawn

Banned
Strategy doesn't make sense. If centred around the player, why not go full third party and appear in all next gen devices? They'd get much bigger game pass numbers.

Sony and Nintendo likely don't want GamePass on their consoles. Why tank their software sales so Microsoft can get subscription fees from their players?

Naddy

Banned
It's because they know they can't compete with Sony and Nintendo and they're already focussing on their streaming services. Next-gen won't be any different from this gen and MS will like shift towards becoming the next EA.

Usually, console makers don't make a profit selling their consoles. Usually they make most profit with selling the software.
I mean back then Sony lost a lot of money by just selling the PS3 hardware:

Of course nowadays that loss is not that big anymore, but still Sony and MS make most money selling Software and Subscription services, so of course, to him it doesn't really matter how much console he sells this year as long as they sell their subscription services and games, they are happy. As long as you are in their ecosystem they are happy.

And again, he said:

Our strategy does not revolve around how many Xboxes I sell this year.

Because there is a pandemic going on, so he is fine with people buying their games on xbox one or PC they already have, as long as they are in their ecosystem.

Don't know what's so wrong about that at all.

HeresJohnny

What if you don't have electricity?

Obviously, you need something. You just don't need an Xbox.
Not everyone is going to have a PC that is capable of playing games with any consistent hope of them looking better than dog poop.

Still, I find the "we don't need to sell Xboxes" strategy to be compelling. Let's see how it plays out.

DrAspirino

Banned
Strategy doesn't make sense. If centred around the player, why not go full third party and appear in all next gen devices? They'd get much bigger game pass numbers.
I don't know why, but it seems this is going to be their last generation (Xbox Series X) before going full cloud...OR maybe they'll keep releasing consoles but at a much lower number.

Just take their Office suite, for example. They've moved from a version-to-version scheme (with a steep license cost), to full-on Office-as-a-service scheme, pushing their Office 365 services hard - and when I say hard, I mean REALLY HARD, up to the point of converting big companies to their subscription model.

So...if you want to get Office 2016 or Office 2019 you can still do so, but they highly discourage it in favor of subscribing to Office 365. Same can (and probably will) happen to the Xbox division.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Usually, console makers don't make a profit selling their consoles. Usually they make most profit with selling the software.

Of course nowadays that loss is not that big anymore, but still Sony and MS make most money selling Software and Subscription services, so of course, to him it doesn't really matter how much console he sells this year as long as they sell their subscription services and games, they are happy. As long as you are in their ecosystem they are happy.

And again, he said:

Because there is a pandemic going on, so he is fine with people buying their games on xbox one or PC they already have, as long as they are in their ecosystem.

There's nothing wrong with what Phil said, or what he has been saying for the last couple of years.
It's just all their statements put together that indicate that they are taking a turn and moving away from focusing on their consoles.
Which is perfectly fine.

At this point, they're just better off at being a major third party publisher.
But somehow people take that as console warring.

Last edited:

And again, he said:

The fanboys are bored due to Corona and they're looking to incite a flame console war. That's what's happening.

Vawn

Banned
Not everyone is going to have a PC that is capable of playing games with any consistent hope of them looking better than dog poop.

Still, I find the "we don't need to sell Xboxes" strategy to be compelling. Let's see how it plays out.

I agree with that. Especially if their games sell on Steam, they give 30% to Valve. And if a third-party game sells on Xbox MS gets 30%, while they get 0% on PC (unless it's their own storefront that nobody uses).

Dabaus

Banned
Reading between the lines here, it sounds like there will be less Series X's than initially planned for launch, it will be more expensive than intended, or they have data suggesting despite all the positive PR theyve generated that no one is actually interested in buying the system. Or all of the above.

cireza

that phil spencer has actually convinced some people they don't care about how many xboxs they sell is honestly impressive
Hardware sales have never been the main source of revenue for video-game companies, nothing new here.

especially when XBOX refuses to say how many PAYING subscribers they have for any of their services
You can subscribe to gold and gamepass without paying ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Reading between the lines here, it sounds like there will be less Series X's than initially planned for launch, it will be more expensive than intended, or they have data suggesting despite all the positive PR theyve generated that no one is actually interested in buying the system. Or all of the above.
Or maybe they are planning to release Game Pass on another device? Although I don't really know any other device that would let this service on their system.

that phil spencer has actually convinced some people they don't care about how many xboxs they sell is honestly impressive

It's not just words otherwise they wouldn't be supporting the Xbox One with all first party exclusives for another 2 years after the launch of Series X

They obviously care more about how many people sign up to Live, Gamepass and how much software they push through Xbox and PC.

But people on Neogaf are going to claim they know better than Phil and MS 😂

turtlepowa

Banned
Don't do this Phil. So many Sony warriors can't wait for the sales numbers next year, just to rub it in the Xbox fan's faces even though it's clear MS can't win with Pc ports and xCloud. You can't take that away from them!

Last edited:
I wonder how his software partners who are investing heavily in the Xbox feel about such a stupid statement.

It really is, but they've been bending over for this guy's bullshit for half a decade now.

They seem to be totally fine, hence all of them supporting Gamepass and Japanese studios getting back to Xbox (Yakuza, all FF games, Tales games etc finally coming to Xbox)

But please, your armchair analyst degree can be valuable in telling us how what I said above is not true :)

HeresJohnny

They seem to be totally fine, hence all of them supporting Gamepass and Japanese studios getting back to Xbox (Yakuza, all FF games, Tales games etc finally coming to Xbox)

But please, your armchair analyst degree can be valuable in telling us how what I said above is not true :)
I owned a 360 and I own an Xbone. I can confidently testify that they don't seem totally fine.

Last edited:
They DO know better than to blindly believe a PR person who tells you what he WANTS you to believe.

Euh... How does Phil making me believe that MS prioritizes other metrics to measure success have any impact on sales, business growth and or profit whatsoever?

Genuinely confused what they gain in "making" me believe that 🤔

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Back in the day Microsoft actually made computers. They quickly went away from that model though to just offer Windows OS to computer manufactures. Nowadays Microsoft makes their money off of software and OS (although yes, I know they do still sell computers and other electronic devices.)

It really does sound like they are wanting to turn XBOX into the Windows OS model. The model that makes them the big bucks. They want to replicate that, even though it may not be successful. They just want to turn XBOX into that, no matter what the cost really.

This makes me sad. Gone will be the days of a dedicated box, made for a dedicated purpose.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe because Spencer and MS have gotten their asses kicked and hearing ridiculous shit like "we don't have to sell consoles" isn't giving us the warm fuzzies that they've learned anything from it?
But the Game Pass strategy can result in so much more money than the console business...

Let's say the XSX will sell for $500 the first year. You'll only need 3 people that will subscribe for 1 year on Game Pass to generate the same amount of money. (3 people * $15 GP subscription * 12 months). Knowing that Game Pass is available on PC AND Xbox, I understand that he says that selling Xbox consoles isn't the only metric onto which Nadella will grade his performance.

Hardware sales have never been the main source of revenue for video-game companies, nothing new here.

You can subscribe to gold and gamepass without paying ?

Hey man, no logic or sensible evidence will be accepted in this thread lol.

They will just come back with nonsensical verbal diarrhea like it actually changes anything to cold hard facts or reality 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom