• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Economic uncertainty means new xbox may not be priority. Strategy doesn't depend on this years sales.

EDMIX

Anyone who has paid attention to MS since Nadella took over can see he is shifting them to a service company. That is where they are now. Their goal isn't to sell plastic boxes with chips in them, it is to get people using the services they have set up.

A cheap streaming box, like a $20 cube with a 5 year old ARM chip in it? Because that's about all you need for streaming.

Just to be clear, although MS sells Windows, Windows isn't like a game console. It runs unsigned code, it's just an operating system. The only part of the Windows platform that could be considered console-esque is the Microsoft Store. And sure, MS has their games on that, but they also have their games on Steam, which is a totally separate platform, and they have to give Valve a cut of each sale.

How is Halo MCC or Sea of Thieves on Steam any different from those games on PlayStation? It really is not.

Agreed completely. They want that service on many devices to transition to a 3rd party.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
IMO, the cost of porting the game is basically a non-factor going forward. The two consoles, and the PC, are all so similar architecturally, I don't think that will stop anyone from doing it. So I don't think that's the issue. Again, I think that they own Windows is irrelevant in this discussion, as Steam is not just a store front but a full platform. It's not like shipping the game to Wal-Mart and Target.

I really don't think it matters if they are technically 1st or 3rd party, I think both MS and Sony will be hybrids to some extent.

Fair enough. If platforms are no longer decided as who's getting paid for the content then even nintendo is no longer first party.

Personally I don't really care. I find it fascinating how Microsofts approach is being on platforms without having to actually "support" them. Xcloud gives them the ability to basically be on any platform without having to sell anything through an app store. The only people that will stop them are the major platform holders as they will demand a cut.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fair enough. If platforms are no longer decided as who's getting paid for the content then even nintendo is no longer first party.

Personally I don't really care. I find it fascinating how Microsofts approach is being on platforms without having to actually "support" them. Xcloud gives them the ability to basically be on any platform without having to sell anything through an app store. The only people that will stop them are the major platform holders as they will demand a cut.

Yea, I think it's interesting too. I think MS is trying to succeed in this space with a brand new business model, which we haven't seen since the 3DO.

//DEVIL//

Anyone who has paid attention to MS since Nadella took over can see he is shifting them to a service company. That is where they are now. Their goal isn't to sell plastic boxes with chips in them, it is to get people using the services they have set up.

A cheap streaming box, like a $20 cube with a 5 year old ARM chip in it? Because that's about all you need for streaming.

Just to be clear, although MS sells Windows, Windows isn't like a game console. It runs unsigned code, it's just an operating system. The only part of the Windows platform that could be considered console-esque is the Microsoft Store. And sure, MS has their games on that, but they also have their games on Steam, which is a totally separate platform, and they have to give Valve a cut of each sale.

How is Halo MCC or Sea of Thieves on Steam any different from those games on PlayStation? It really is not.

While this is true, they still and will care by force too if they have to on the console market. They need to be in it. because Neither sony nor nintendo will allow them to release game pass on their consoles. and the PC alone isnt sustained enough for them to not care about the console market.

As for just a straming service. that will never work on big games. and Stadia and the Xcloud is a proof of that.

what MS is hoping to become the netflix of gaming by combining their Xcloud, Console, PC. and the Game Pass to an ultimate ecosystem every gamer should get into as long as they are one of the said earlier.

the most revenue they have is from the Console gamepass not the PC. they WILL stay in the video game console.

Problem with MS is, they are not aggressive to secure big studios / games exclusivly to their ecosystem. Just like Netflix, they release mid range AA games every now and then for people to come back to and play. mainwhile Sony is just aiming very high in terms of high profile games. . the recent leak ( assuming its true, which contains requested games like Demon sould Remaster and Silent Hell is a proof of that.

I might be jumping the gun here. it will be a very fun to watch how this plans out next gen.

I will own both consoles day one ( i am even thinking to stop focusing on PC anymore because honestly its just very expensive. 1 GPU is the price of 2 consoles plus games even )

diffusionx

Gold Member
Enlighten me, how did 3dos business model differ at the time?

3DO licensed the hardware to hardware manufacturers instead of making it themselves, why there are Panasonic, Goldstar, and Sanyo 3DOs. There was even a 3DO card for PC.

While this is true, they still and will care by force too if they have to on the console market. They need to be in it. because Neither sony nor nintendo will allow them to release game pass on their consoles. and the PC alone isnt sustained enough for them to not care about the console market.

As for just a straming service. that will never work on big games. and Stadia and the Xcloud is a proof of that.

what MS is hoping to become the netflix of gaming by combining their Xcloud, Console, PC. and the Game Pass to an ultimate ecosystem every gamer should get into as long as they are one of the said earlier.

the most revenue they have is from the Console gamepass not the PC. they WILL stay in the video game console.

Problem with MS is, they are not aggressive to secure big studios / games exclusivly to their ecosystem. Just like Netflix, they release mid range AA games every now and then for people to come back to and play. mainwhile Sony is just aiming very high in terms of high profile games. . the recent leak ( assuming its true, which contains requested games like Demon sould Remaster and Silent Hell is a proof of that.

I might be jumping the gun here. it will be a very fun to watch how this plans out next gen.

I will own both consoles day one ( i am even thinking to stop focusing on PC anymore because honestly its just very expensive. 1 GPU is the price of 2 consoles plus games even )

I never said MS was getting out of the console business, although it is theoretically possible if XSX totally flops and GamePass shows strong growth in other places like PC. Obviously Sony would not allow MS to put Game Pass on PlayStation, but what if they set it up only with their games? Sony already allows EA Access, that's the same thing. Like I said above, I think if Sony let them do it, they would definitely go for it.

I don't know what MS is planning to do with those studios going forward, so I can't speak to them vs. Sony. I do think it will be very different from what it was this gen though.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
3DO licensed the hardware to hardware manufacturers instead of making it themselves, why there are Panasonic, Goldstar, and Sanyo 3DOs. There was even a 3DO card for PC.

I never said MS was getting out of the console business, although it is theoretically possible if XSX totally flops and GamePass shows strong growth in other places like PC. Obviously Sony would not allow MS to put Game Pass on PlayStation, but what if they set it up only with their games? Sony already allows EA Access, that's the same thing. Like I said above, I think if Sony let them do it, they would definitely go for it.

I don't know what MS is planning to do with those studios going forward, so I can't speak to them vs. Sony. I do think it will be very different from what it was this gen though.

Oh right. I totally forgot about that. I believe Sony did that for a few TVs in Japan and I think Nintendo did for the Panasonic Q?

Psykodad

Banned
You once again completely miss everything.

So answer my question. Is Bloodborne being on Now which can be played on devices that are not PlayStations mean it's a third party game?
Sony released 4 consoles that are all within the top 5 of most successful consoles in history, with only the Wii being #3.
They own the console market. There's literally no reason for them to move away from that.

Besides, Sony is a hardware-focused company, MS software-focused.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sony released 4 consoles that are all within the top 5 of most successful consoles in history, with only the Wii being #3.
They own the console market. There's literally no reason for them to move away from that.

Besides, Sony is a hardware-focused company, MS software-focused.

Ok? Who said Sony was moving away from consoles?

Why so much talk about how MS should take GamePass to other consoles, as if Sony would ever allow that. Look how long it took for them to accept EA Access. GamePass is a whole different beast, they’d never allow it. And Switch doesn’t make sense because there’s way less third party options there.

Plus they’d make way less money having to pay Nintendo and Sony, so the service would be worse.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nobody, but you're trying reverse psychology by asking if Sony will go 3rd party because Bloodborne would go to PC.
Just doesn't work.

No. I asked if because you can play bloodborne on PC via Now does that mean it's a third party game?

Same as spider-man?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If that was your question, then no. PS Now is still a Playstation service.

Then we agree. If the money stays in the publishers pocket I don't see it as third party. Which begs the question how does bringing Xcloud with GP to Android or any other screen make them third party but not Sony?

Psykodad

Banned
Then we agree. If the money stays in the publishers pocket I don't see it as third party. Which begs the question how does bringing Xcloud with GP to Android or any other screen make them third party but not Sony?
Nothing. Not as long as MS is one of the big three.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
You posts indicated the opposite but I digress.
Not at all, because I'm saying MS would be better off pulling out as one of the big three and become 3rd party (like EA and Activision).

Big difference. And I've never said nor implied something else.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Never mind that Sony came up with PSNow long before GamePass. It's MS that is the threat to console manufacturing because they created a service too.
You're a Sony sheep.
Im a sheep for no console company! I loved the original Xbox and the 360 is my fav console of all time! I fear the push for a Netflix style system for gaming and I loathe streaming in gaming. Microsoft seem content to push that as they know they can’t beat Nintendo and Sony at their own game.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not at all, because I'm saying MS would be better off pulling out as one of the big three and become 3rd party (like EA and Activision).

Big difference. And I've never said nor implied something else.

Have to agree to disagree. But you already said you are too lazy to debate so I'm not going to either.

Psykodad

Banned
Have to agree to disagree. But you already said you are too lazy to debate so I'm not going to either.
Like I said, been discussing it for too long already, since back in 2013 (although I was a lurker on gaf at the time).
And we'll be running in circles, so it's indeed a time-saver for both of us to leave it as is.

Last edited:
Whats amazing to me is how consumer friendly their approach is but imo its gonna wind up being a misstep in selling the actual console to potential buyers longer term than they may think. Since i have a high end pc i literally see ZERO reason to purchase the SX based on all first party games being day 1 pc releases. Consumer friendly approach for sure but its stripping the new console of its selling points . Not to mention all first party games being available on xbox one as well for 2 years. Whats the incentive here ? Theyll be fine though with their subscription sales and i understand what theyre trying to do but i think its gonna hinder SX sales more than they think imo.

Last edited:
I like sonys strategy of a quick conversion to next gen. People who spend the money for a new box want to play things that cant be played on their old one. Curious to see how the consumer friendly approach plays out for them but i think its unreasonable to think microsoft can compete on a console sales level at this point. The imbalance of hype between the two is palpable.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I like sonys strategy of a quick conversion to next gen. People who spend the money for a new box want to play things that cant be played on their old one. Curious to see how the consumer friendly approach plays out for them but i think its unreasonable to think microsoft can compete on a console sales level at this point. The imbalance of hype between the two is palpable.
MS will be looking at comparable sales and marketshare as this gen, at best.

MS will be looking at comparable sales and marketshare as this gen, at best.
Maybe but my feeling is that it will be less of a landslide than ps4/xbone for sure but i still think the gap will be pretty significant sales wise. A lot of people are really comfortable and invested into the playstation ecosystem this generation. They’re happy having their occasional first party masterclasses and their third parties in one place. Of course ms has those people too but obviously much less so at the moment. I think for microsoft to have comparable units sold they really need to blow people away with some of their first party endeavors. Thats why i think the 2 year window with no series x exclusives is a big mistake. Give people who invested in your new box something unique to it only. Something they can brag about to ps users. And theyve said some of the acquired studios are making mid tier production cost type games which im really baffled by. I think ninja theory state of decay devs and obsidian should all be trying to make microsoft’s version of last of us , god of war , and horizon. They desperately need other big game franchises other than halo and gears. They have that one developer that consists of ex naughty dog devs santa monica studios and others. The initiative? Forget their name. But id bet that game will be something special. But anyway what do i know? Just my opinion.... love microsoft btw i just dont know if their approach is aggressive enough.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We have some odd people in here . The moment Xbox allowed their games to be played on PC and created a world where they allowed you to play on whatever way you want to play their games on , means they were done with the console wars . The true number from MS is Xbox Live users and Xbox Game Pass users t. So if they only focus on units sold then it will never tell the whole story for them . Some people will never buy a console , but will have 10-12 Xbox Game Studios games on their PC (running Microsoft Windows, using a Xbox controller) , with a Game Pass sub . So is MS not suppose to count them , since they didn't buy a console ?

They could count both of them.

Three

People come in the topic stating how MS is shifting metrics to make communication look better (while it is actually only natural considering what they are actually doing in the market)
MS didn't even stick with MAUs because that wasn't increasing either. Those people are right.

Top Bottom