• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer expect PS4 price cut this holiday in US

Sweep14

"I fully expect they [PlayStation] will drop price. When I think about the playbook they've used in the past, we feel good about the plans we have in place going forward in the holiday. If history tells, then we'll see a price drop from them coming."

...Captain obvious ?

And he has a plan apparently

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/18/xbox-boss-expects-ps4-price-drop-in-us?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Blogroll&abthid=55fca508cf7e083d3c000025

Illuminati-dollar_tower1.jpg

He has his sources

BokehKing

Banned
So does this mean the Xbox one will be under $300 this holiday season (if that's his plan)

I mean hell why not, get the system into people's homes, then you have the install base

OEM

Stuff Phil Spencer Says Thread #47

He was in the IGN podcast, IGN for clicks, broke down all the news into different articles and actual podcast won't go up until Tuesday. GAF is making thread based on those IGN click bait news from one interview.

MrV4ltor

Already got the 1TB model for 300€, but that would be an amzing price point to sell it at for everyone. Don't know if it'll still be profitable then tho.

tesla246

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no price drop just yet; instead they go crazy aggressive with bundles like COD and destiny TTK, advertisement and maybe a deal here and there (black friday) with a free game of choise. Then expected too sell maybe 200-500K less through november/december (than XBone), but with a higher revenue.
In 2016 a (western, US and Europe) price drop of 99 dollars/euro to 299 before uncharted 4 launches. (Maybe februari to gain momentum and absolutely crush the competition from februari through june along with a steady stream of games.

The Flash

Banned
He was in the IGN podcast, IGN for clicks, broke down all the news into different articles and actual podcast won't go up until Tuesday. GAF is making thread based on those IGN click bait news from one interview.

I know but it seems like every single time he says something on Twitter or to the press it gets turned into a thread whether it's threadworthy or not.

Something to make a brand new console plus psvr purchase a little more palatable, though I still contend that it's aimed almost entirely at the early adopter niche that's already bought the console regardless once the total price goes north of $500

Redevil

Ehm, isn't it Phil's tactic? Start spreading rumors of a price drop so everyone holds out on buying the PS4 until the price drop 'officially' kicked in?

Trup1aya

Ehm, isn't it Phil's tactic? Start spreading rumors of a price drop so everyone holds out on buying the PS4 until the price drop 'officially' kicked in?

Lol I really don't think there is such a conspiracy here... How many Ps4 sales will be halted because of a Xbox exec comment?

That's a silly, tin foil-esque, notion...

It's far more likely that MS is simply EXPECTING their competitor to drop the price because they've been operating at that price for 2 years, and the Holidays are a common time for price drops...

Not at least TRYING to anticipate your competitions maneuvers is bad business

kyser73

"I fully expect they [PlayStation] will drop price. When I think about the playbook they've used in the past, we feel good about the plans we have in place going forward in the holiday. If history tells, then we'll see a price drop from them coming."

...Captain obvious ?

And he has a plan apparently

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/18/xbox-boss-expects-ps4-price-drop-in-us?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Blogroll&abthid=55fca508cf7e083d3c000025

Handjob with every purchase.

Probably a ruse to convince people to buy an XB1 that fall rather than wait a little longer. It had just enough basis in fact (the two week period where it went back to full price) to avoid any false advertising allegations.

Man you are really upset about it lolol

"Will more people buy a thing of it is cheaper?"

Of course people will buy it if its cheaper, but how many more did they sell? It did great for them over the holiday, they might have had a different scenario on their hands if it wasn't received like it was.

I can't imagine many people are going to hold off on buying a Sony Playstation 4 because the Head of Xbox says he expects a drop. Its been 2 years, its due a price drop regardless of who says it, but Sony haven't need to yet as its sold so well

If his plan is anything other than riding out this gen in second place, it ain't happening.

I mean, but why does this matter tbh? There's nothing wrong with being the second best system this gen.

On the other hand, I don't even understand why this statement needed to be discussed lol

ZhugeEX

Banned
For those who want to read my thoughts on this holiday in the US - (Yeh I know no one does haha but I want to post it anyway)

(Now updated)

Originally written in June:

This year I believe we'll see the Xbox One stay at the $349 price point as an RRP for the holiday season. Microsoft have already dropped the price $150 since launch and whilst it's helped them in the USA during the holiday season, it hasn't much helped them in the US in 2015 or worldwide..... since forever.

I don't think Microsoft will be looking to de-value the console even more, and I don't think they're prepared to have another holiday season where they lose money thanks to another price cut. Microsoft know they have some fairly big hitters like Halo 5 coming out this year and so I am of the opinion that Microsoft will not drop the price (outside of special one off/retailer specific deals) this calendar year. The official price will remain $349.

What I believe Microsoft will do is in a similar fashion to their strategy during 2009 with the Xbox 360. If you remember, Microsoft kept the price the same but bundled in two games at retail. This year I believe we'll see Microsoft start to add value to their proposition by creating more bundles aimed around the $349 and $399 price points with games and perhaps even Xbox Live bundled in at no extra cost to the user.

Of course we may see time limited retailer specific deals on BF <$349 but I don't think MS will announce anything officially and keep the $349 price point.

xbox-holiday-bundles-2009.jpg

I made a similar post before about the PlayStation 4 but will now expand. During the PlayStation 2 era Sony had a strategy that was all about being the market leader to show that the PS2 was continuing on from the success of PS1 and that video games were serious business. The PlayStation 2 launched at a low price of $299 and Sony's strategy was to subsidise the console in favour of making bank on software. What this meant was that Sony were more willing to drop the price $100 in May 2002 in order to increase the install base at the detriment of hardware revenue as they knew software revenue would make up the difference.

The gaming landscape has changed recently and from the evidence at hand we can see that the majority of the console gaming market is being driven by early adoptors, hardcore gamers and core gamers. Sony are taking advantage of this with their new strategy, first they got everything right about the console, then they priced it lower than their competitor at a good entry price, third they've been the cumulative leader this gen.

What that means is that Sony's strategy is very much about making a profit both on hardware and software which is very different compared to the PS2 strategy of the time. This is the longest Sony have ever gone without a price drop and that's because the console is still selling very well. They could have done this strategy with the PS2 and it would have done well but with PS2 they were more than happy to sacrifice hardware revenue for a higher install base. With PS4, Sony would prefer to increase hardware revenue, and it's clear that they can with PS4.

We rarely see consoles go this long without a price cut and the only others I can think of that have gone this long were the Wii and Wii U but they are special circumstance really. When it comes to a PS4 price cut I am of the opinion that a price cut must and will take place before the Morpheus launch. Sony will also need to weigh up their options as to whether that price cut will take place before Morpheus launch in 2016 or if they are willing to cut the price in 2015 because it is a hit they can take/have planned for or even will still remain profitable.

This year I am of the opinion that we will see a price cut in order for Sony to open the console up to a new audience and to increase the install base. However I am not sure if it will be a $50 or $100 price cut and whether it will even be temporary during the holiday or permanent. However, Sony do not need to cut the price either and I can very much see them holding back this year and taking the same strategy I mentioned above of Microsoft in 2009. Bundle the crap out of PS4 at the same $399 price point and we are already seeing that with the Destiny bundle.

So Sony really can go both ways here and to be honest they probably don't need to drop the price as the PS4 is doing just fine, however I do think it's time and we will see some sort of price drop this year, at the very least we'll see loads of bundles at $399 with extra value adds.

destiny-the-taken-king-ps4-bundle-correct_1920.0.0.jpg

UPDATE: It seems PS4 has had a price cut in Japan, Asia and the UK which means that a price cut in the US could happen. I would expect it to happen any time between now and PGW if it will take place. If it doesn't then it won't be until Q1 2016.

I still think it's likely and at this point I'd suggest $50 rather than $100. However we could still see the price stay at $399 as I believe Sony would sell what they want at this price point.

GameSeeker

...Captain obvious ?

Captain Obvious? Yes.

More Obvious: Microsoft will respond to Sony's price cut with a price cut of their own. Then on top of the the price cut they will offer multiple free games bundles during the holiday season (much like last year).

Don't buy a PS4 or Xbone till after the price cuts.

Top Bottom