• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Gamepass is at 25 Millions and hasn't grown in 9 months since ABK's acquisition announcement"

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Confidential transcript

v5PpxDH.jpg

Del_X

Announcing an Activision deal alone would make GP subs grow? WTF. Phil's head is in the cloud. Average gamers are stupid, but not that stupid.
That's the interviewer asking

He said there was no growth between Jan 2022 and Oct 2022
after that it's another story
Might want to add that to the title.

Game Pass isn't going to grow until MSFT can publish a AAA banger once every quarter at least.

Sanepar

Announcement is one thing.
The increase will happen once FTC fucks off and purchase is complete.
Once those games are on gamepass, growth will follow.
Most who play cod(most relevant ip on ABK for consoles) only play cod. They won't subscribe for $180 to play something they can do paying $70.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Most who play cod(most relevant ip on ABK for consoles) only play cod. They won't subscribe for $180 to play something they can do paying $70.

They’re not paying $70 though. They’re paying $70 plus a $60 paid subscription to play online, so the question is whether the $50 difference is worth it.

For most people it probably would be as that’s less than the cost of one game.

That's the interviewer asking

Might want to add that to the title.

Game Pass isn't going to grow until MSFT can publish a AAA banger once every quarter at least.

There seems to be a ceiling on subscriptions, so while your assertion is reasonable in theory, it does not necessarily translate into higher figures in practice. The majority of announced games (Forza, Dishonoured 3, Hellblade2...) are not the kind of titles that would tip the balance, imo, regardless of their intrinsic quality. Most of the people looking forward to them have already acquired the platform, or subsribed to GP. Only COD could make a dent.

Last edited:

Robins

They’re not paying $70 though. They’re paying $70 plus a $60 paid subscription to play online, so the question is whether the $50 difference is worth it.

For most people it probably would be as that’s less than the cost of one game.

They're not even necessarily paying that anymore. They are playing war zone and paying $0

Killjoy-NL

There seems to be a ceiling on subscriptions, so while your assertion is reasonable in theory, it does not necessarily translate into higher figures in practice. The majority of announced games (Forza, Dishonoured 3, Hellblade2...) are not the kind of titles that would tip the balance, imo, regardless of their intrinsic quality. Most of the people looking forward to them have already acquired the platform, or subsribed to GP. Only COD could make a dent.
I wonder if COD would even cause a massive influx of subs.

Like some already said, the average consumer is dumb, but not that dumb.

That line of thinking is what caused the original Xbox One disaster as well.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
But Phil said Game Pass was sustainable and profitable.....

If it was doing great, then why is Phil so concerned? This is why people were calling out Phil for his comments about Game Pass being profitable.

Jormatar

At this point I can honestly see Microsoft abandoning Game Pass day one first party titles in the next gen.

Out of three console manufacturers they will spend the most amount of money running studios yet they make the least amount of money when half of their playerbase just pays 10 dollars a month to play a game and then cancels the subscription until another big game comes in a few month. That's 20 dolIars gained instead of 140 dollars. I can't see shareholders being willing to watch that for long, especially when you see more successful gaming companies like Sony and Nintendo doing it the good old fashioned way and making mad profit every quarter.

Maybe you will say that without Game Pass they are missing on potential players not willing trying the game for a full price but I'm sure a hyped game like Starfield would have had 10 million players in the first month even without Game Pass.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

I don't get why people would subscribe based on an announcement that most people thought it would never go through anyway. Now if you said no new members after Starfield's release, then I would be like holy shit what happened?

DeaDPo0L84

Yea but when CoD launches day and date on Gamepass millions of Playstation fanboys are going to completely ditch their console, game library, friend ecosystem and buy an Xbox to save $60, it's going to happen, quote me on this /s

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yea but when CoD launches day and date on Gamepass millions of Playstation fanboys are going to completely ditch their console, game library, friend ecosystem and buy an Xbox to save $60, it's going to happen, quote me on this /s
They couldn't even pull MLB The Show faithful away with the GP deal. Sales have been going up on the PS consoles YoY. It seems that GaaS structured games that people play an entire year for, they would rather purchase. Cheaper for them in the long run.

Moses85

The Bad news doesnt want to end.

How about taking the hat, philyboy?

I am asking for a friend.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Most of the people who would actually pay for gamepass already have gamepass. They're starting to reach the limits of growth.

Sure the Activision purchase will increase it, but by how much?

Top Bottom