• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: I don't know if Xbox One can beat PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario007

I meant in a while (but MS essentially buying Gears from Epic was a power move made under Phil).
Well when ms studios turned into focusing on three franchise only was when Spencer was in charge. He'd be the one responsible for keeping Rare on kinect for example. People tend to forget he was in position of power before at ms. I mean the guy was basically MS's Yoshida.

Mario007

So who made all these changes in the past two years?
What sort of chsnges are we really talking about. Flipping the switch and unbundling kinect?

Spencer continues in the same way he was back as head of ms studios. He still basically only focuses on the above three ips even going as far as killing a new ip for a gears game. All the same he cries about ms had nothing to compete with uncharted so they bought tomb raider, which is primarily his own fault. Further he then goes on to decry FF14s exclusivity as a business deal he doesnt like, which is actually a lie sincr ff14 is not a moneyhat. Dude just has nicer pr than matrick.

What sort of chsnges are we really talking about. Flipping the switch and unbundling kinect?

Spencer continues in the same way he was back as head of ms studios. He still basically only focuses on the above three ips even going as far as killing a new ip for a gears game. All the same he cries about ms had nothing to compete with uncharted so they bought tomb raider, which is primarily his own fault. Further he then goes on to decry FF14s exclusivity as a business deal he doesnt like, which is actually a lie sincr ff14 is not a moneyhat. Dude just has nicer pr than matrick.
that part is what comes off as kind of shady to me. unless it was nothing more than just a meme, did a mS exec ever actually say something along the lines of "kinect/drm policies aren't something we can just flip a switch on; xbone infrastructure was built around it"?

PreFire

I understand you're doing business in the same field, but who cares what your "opponent" is making if you're still getting a piece of the pie?

I never understood this whole console war thing. I have both a ps4 and xbone.

They're still making a shit ton of money.

If it were really a war, why just measure gaming? Why not each company in their entirety?

I, as a fan of gaming, want them all to be successful. It means a larger selection of better games
sometimes
for us

Spencer, stop trying to "beat" them. Don't make it a competition. Do your best and that's it.

Gwyn

Well if you don't like (dead rising 3 , sunset overdrive , ori , D4 , State of Decay, titanfall, ryse) that doesnt mean xbox has only forza / gears / halo.
It's like me saying PS4 has only uncharted and bloodborne which isnt true.

that part is what comes off as kind of shady to me. unless it was nothing more than just a meme, did a mS exec ever actually say something along the lines of "kinect/drm policies aren't something we can just flip a switch on; xbone infrastructure was built around it"?
Here you go:

https://youtu.be/6RtSGFryKwo?t=11m13s

(Director of Xbox Programming Larry Hyrb interview with Angry Joe at E3 2013, days before the switch flip)

etta

my hard graphic balls
What sort of chsnges are we really talking about.
What about turning the system (from entertainment-focused to game-focused) on its head and centering it all on an universal feedback program which they followed through with significant changes and monthly updates? The Kinect unbundle (for price and SDK), backwards compatibility, and projects like ReCore, Cuphead and Scalebound? GWG upped to 2 games per month plus the upcoming BC enabled GWG? Agreeing to EA Access? Improving ID@Xbox significantly? How many indies do they have coming out this year with the program, 50+? Gold Free Play Weekends (so far only two, Sunset Overdrive and Forza Motorsport 5)?
I am sure I am missing some stuff as well.

Edit 1:
120+ ID@Xbox games from E3 2015 onwards:
http://majornelson.com/2015/06/30/full-list-of-idxbox-trailers-from-e3-2015/

Edit 2:
Forgot the new controller that added 3.5mm jack and improved bumpers (both highly requested features). What about that?

Edit 3:
And Elite controller? Chatpad? TV antenna adapter? Wireless receiver for Windows? Halo championship with $1 million prize?

Edit 4:
Crackdown with original director as well? Also, Evolve had a free weekend, too. What about the universal app/indie program (although not yet released) under Windows 10 dashboard and Windows Store?

Edit 5: (so many items I should make a thread)
What about Game Preview? Party chat on dedicated servers and 12 people count? Xbox app for Windows/iOS/Android? (thanks, Gwyn)

Blanquito

there's a thread around here somewhere about it apparently yoshida and our own kagari say that the reason ffs14 isn't on xbone is because mS refuses to allow crossplay with playstation (sony seems open to it) but phil spencer claims that the reason ffs14 isn't available is because there's a deal in place between sony and square enix.

he lied.

I know, I was just trying to point out that you keep saying ffS14

Well when ms studios turned into focusing on three franchise only was when Spencer was in charge. He'd be the one responsible for keeping Rare on kinect for example. People tend to forget he was in position of power before at ms. I mean the guy was basically MS's Yoshida.

That doesn't mean he had carte blanche on every game that released. He still had to follow his bosses, Mattrick and Balmer, vision for the company at the time. And with their heavy investment in Kinect, his decision (if it was ultimately his) to put Rare on Kinect paid off -- they had their biggest selling game since Microsoft bought them, and the most successful Kinect title.

Gwyn

What about turning the system (from entertainment-focused to game-focused) on its head and centering it all on an universal feedback program which they followed through with significant changes and monthly updates? The Kinect unbundle (for price and SDK), backwards compatibility, and projects like ReCore, Cuphead and Scalebound? GWG upped to 2 games per month plus the upcoming BC enabled GWG? Agreeing to EA Access? Improving ID@Xbox significantly? How many indies do they have coming out this year with the program, 50+? Gold Free Play Weekends (so far only two, Sunset Overdrive and Forza Motorsport 5)?

Edit 1:

Edit 2:
Forgot the new controller with 3.5mm jack and improved bumpers. What about that?

Edit 3:
And Elite controller? Chatpad? TV antenna adapter? Wireless receiver for Windows? Halo championship with $1 million prize?

Edit 4:
Crackdown with original director as well? Also, Evolve had a free weekend, too. What about the universal app/indie program (although not yet released) under Windows 10 dashboard and Windows Store?

+Game Preview
+party chat supports 12 people
+windows 10 xbox app

I understand you're doing business in the same field, but who cares what your "opponent" is making if you're still getting a piece of the pie?

I never understood this whole console war thing. I have both a ps4 and xbone.

They're still making a shit ton of money.

If it were really a war, why just measure gaming? Why not each company in their entirety?

I, as a fan of gaming, want them all to be successful. It means a larger selection of better games
sometimes
for us

Spencer, stop trying to "beat" them. Don't make it a competition. Do your best and that's it.

It's not that easy. The original XBox One concept, including always on, DRM, TVTVTV and so on, all that depended on a strong market position, especially in the US. Today we know that XBOne's sales would have been abysmal if they hadn't done that 180° strategy change very early.

I, as a fan of gaming, am glad thad their original concept went down the tube / Sony used it to promote their (more) user-friendly PS4 concept, as a lot needs to happen now before anyone tries this bullcrap again in the future.

It's a good thing he doesn't get bothered by it or care about those specific people, then.

He probably should care if he wants them to buy his product, he can't just dismiss them just they're being a dick to him over the internet. It goes with the territory and it's his job to turn it around.

I own both the PS4 and XBox One and to me the One as the better games and line up. Call that trolling if you must, I just call it the XBox One having the better line up so far

Well the positive thing is you obviously have very non-mainstream tastes, as the mainstream is buying literally multiple millions more PS4s than XB1s. You're an elitist and that's good.

Well the positive thing is you obviously have very non-mainstream tastes, as the mainstream is buying literally multiple millions more PS4s than XB1s. You're an elitist and that's good.

So people who don't own an i-Phone are elitist? because Apple sells so many more phones, I guess all us PC/Windows owners are Elite too lol because they sell so many more over the iMac...

I just go by the product I like or want, not to be part of a gang or just because its sells so many and at the mo for me the One got the better games and more of the games I'm looking forward too over the next few months (if you take 3rd party support out of it)

Percy

Banned
So people who don't own an i-Phone are elitist? because Apple sells so many more phones, I guess all us PC/Windows owners are Elite too lol because they sell so many more over the iMac...

Depends on whether or not those people have made statements to the effect of "I don't like this product, so why is it selling so well?" really.

LoveCake

It has a lot has to do with first impressions & what Phil has said proves this, people still thinking the X1 doesn't play used games.

I have had nearly all the consoles & was intrigued when MS came into the console market, i had a PS2 after playing the PS1 to death, but i did get a Xbox & it was a great console & when the time came i went for a X360 first over a PS3, the first console i buy in a generation is my primary console & i think that applies to the majority of gamers as-well, the X360 was a great console imo, i did get a PS3 later on but it was just for exclusives mostly, my X360 was the third party machine.

When the 'new' (current) gen started (i got a WiiU at launch btw) i went for the PS4, i had Kinect on my X360 & felt really let down by the lack-lustre amount of content for it, so the cost, power & uncertainty of the direction of the X1 put me off, i knew that would have to allow the X1 to play used games & they did change their mind, i have a X1 now though (got the Sunset Overdrive white version [for half price because of the GAME UK share options]) recently though i have been playing more on the X1 than my PS4 because of Forza MotorSport 6 & soon to be Halo 5, but the killer for the X1 is the constant comparisons between graphics & more importantly resolutions, the PS4 being 1080p & the X1 being 900p & every game that is on both systems is jumped on to see what the differences are, in previous generations the differences have been pretty slight really.

With both the PS4 & X1 costing near-enough the same, people are always going to head towards the more powerful machine, then as mentioned above the graphical/resolution differences on third party games, it is not a war between the two, people are just after the best value & the average person is going to be buying mainly third party games, CoD, FIFA, MGS-V, Assassins Creed & Star Wars & that is why they will buy a PS4 over a X1.

PS4 vs. Xbox One Native Resolutions and Framerates

the PS4 being 1080p & the X1 being 900p & every game that is on both systems is jumped on to see what the differences are, in previous generations the differences have been pretty slight really

If people want to bring the power into it, then the XBox should have outsold the PS2 by massive numbers not just for screen Res (when loads of PS2 games couldn't even match the DC res, never mind XBox) Graphics and audio wise the XBox was in a different league and then online the XBox could boast more players and better online support, but most would say the PS2 had the better games and that fair enough

I just feel at the mo the XBox one got the better game like up and that's the case going forward to April 2016, That's all

Freeman

Banned
Regardless of how the Xbox was at launch the PS4 always offered a better value to most people, simple as that. It never had a chance.

There is no reason why the Xbox should be ahead or even close to doing as well as the PS4.

The Xbox hardly has any advantages over the PS4 and it is a console designed mostly for NA. I'm surprised the Xbox managed to do as well as it did, props to MS for not giving up.

If you are not a big fan of some MS IP I find it hard to see a reason you would chose the Xbox over the PS4, if you are patient odds are good that the game you want might show up on PC as well, something that doesn't happen as much with Nintendo and Sony.

PS4 has more power, more support from Japanese devs, more support from indies devs, more variety of exclusive games, a more established brand, more first party and second party studios working on games for it, PlayStation VR, Remoteplay, those are all pretty clear advantages I think. The lack of backwards compatibility is the only disadvantage I can think of for the PS4.

softie

If people want to bring the power into it, then the XBox should have outsold the PS2 by massive numbers not just for screen Res (when loads of PS2 games couldn't even match the DC res, never mind XBox) Graphics and audio wise the XBox was in a different league and then online the XBox could boast more players and better online support, but most would say the PS2 had the better games and that fair enough

I just feel at the mo the XBox one got the better game like up and that's the case going forward to April 2016, That's all
The PS2 launched one and a half year earlier than the XBox, of course it was the weaker system. The PS4 and Bone launched simultaneously.

mejin

Just like how the 3DS was tracking ahead of the DS.....

A lot of people forget that the 360 sold like shit in its first couple of years. The fact that the Xbox One is outselling the 360 isn't an achievement. And the same goes for the PS4 compared to PS3. If these consoles were selling worse than their predecessors then console gaming would be on a major decline and the industry would be collapsing.

That's true. But PS4 has clearly potential to sell more than PS3 and 360, XB1 will die sooner.

With Sony moving to a pay service from PS3 to PS4 it proved that it wasn't a selling point for gamers.

The difference is now we have two pay services. If one of them is free then that makes it an easier decision to pick it up a second console. I've been holding off myself because I don't really want to pay for 2 services. I'd just as well pick up a Wii U or upgrade my graphics card.

The_Monk

I like to see when both companies keep doing a good job making appealing software for their products without worrying too much about who's winning and who's not. I think Phil said something regarding this matter and the console wars theme some time ago but I can't find the exact quote.

To me it's all about having fun and it always be, no matter which game or the platform I play but I'm aware that some consumers can be too protective to their product of choice to the point they need to justify their purchase to others in order to feel they made a good investment. To be honest, the only thing I would like to see from the Microsoft team would be to get a more serious approach to the European market. Microsoft had some exclusive marketing deals to FIFA16 in here, a game that always sells decent numbers, but making some shelves look nicer and offering copies of the game in mall tournaments isn't enough for most to make the switch or even to also buy the console. They need to work on the mentality of the consumers, which are very different in here. Either way it's all about having a good time and I hope both can do well in the upcoming holiday season.

Edit 1:

Edit 2:
Forgot the new controller that added 3.5mm jack and improved bumpers (both highly requested features). What about that?

Edit 3:

Edit 4:

Edit 5: (so many items I should make a thread)
What about Game Preview? Party chat on dedicated servers and 12 people count? Xbox app for Windows/iOS/Android? (thanks, Gwyn)

I think the top team, including Phil, realise that they really need to offer something unique, which includes services like BC and big new OS-linked features as well as exclusives. It sounds obvious, but this comes after a generation where the focus appeared to largely be on marketing deals for 3rd party games alongside a few 1st party tentpole releases.

As someone considering purchasing a XB1, admittedly for Halo and Forza at the moment, with any luck we're seeing the start of an effort to move towards more funding for interesting exclusives, as we saw with the PS3 later on in its lifespan. I guess the long-term strategy is to concentrate on building a reputation, rather than being the winner in sales, as the next generation rolls round in 3-4 years. Gamers with either or both platforms will benefit from this approach.

The PS2 launched one and a half year earlier than the XBox, of course it was the weaker system. The PS4 and Bone launched simultaneousl
One could say just the same for the NES and Master System, the PC Eng,Mega Drive and Snes or the DC, PS2 and yet that were always compared to each other despite at least a year between launches of those systems

PS4 has more power, more support from Japanese devs, more support from indies devs, more variety of exclusive games, a more established brand, more first party and second party studios working on games for it

I would agree with almost all of that, bar the variety of exclusive games. To me the XBox One got the better number of exclusive games, it's the 3rd party support in Japan that really lets it down, and Phil needs to address that. Really think MS dropped the ball after doing so well with the 1st XBox to get great support from SEGA, Temco and even FromSoftware (for me the best developer in Japan at the mo)

rpg_fan

I would agree with almost all of that, bar the variety of exclusive games. To me the XBox One got the better number of exclusive games, it's the 3rd party support in Japan that really lets it down, and Phil needs to address that.

There's really nothing to address. MS made a push last gen in Japan. Some good games came from it, which is why my 360 won't be gotten rid of for years and years(if ever). But from most accounts, it turned out poorly for the developers.

With the entire industry more risk averse than ever, I seriously doubt there's anything MS can do to lure Japanese developers to go exclusive. In the west though, MS could pay to have ports made. But history says they wont sell on Xbox, so would MS be willing to eat that loss for goodwill with the handful of Japanese gaming fans that don't just play it on Playstation?

PS4 has more power, more support from Japanese devs, more support from indies devs, more variety of exclusive games, a more established brand, more first party and second party studios working on games for it, PlayStation VR, Remoteplay, those are all pretty clear advantages I think. The lack of backwards compatibility is the only disadvantage I can think of for the PS4.

Key words, working on. I might get a PS4 someday, 2017 maybe.

There's really nothing to address. MS made a push last gen in Japan. Some good games came from it, which is why my 360 won't be gotten rid of for years and years(if ever). But from most accounts, it turned out poorly for the developers

Mistwalker maybe and a few others. But Temco, Capcom, Fromsoftware got quite a few million plus sellers on the XBox 360 alone.

I really wished MS asked and fund O.TO.GI III, Chromhounds II (the 1st game is the best game I've ever played over LIVE) and Ninja Gadien IV rather than the millions they spent on pushing the crap that was and is Kinect

As long as the xbox console does well, its all good. It doesn't need to outsell the ps4. As long as theres great exclusive content ( which both consoles have ) it will be all good.

Ouroboros

Good that means next generation will be a powerhouse with wanted inovation. Look at MS's last weeks event with lumia and surface. Blew me away and I'm more of the Apple persuasion.

I for one am excited when a company is backed in a corner. Not saying MS is right now, but they are close to it.

I like to see when both companies keep doing a good job making appealing software for their products without worrying too much about who's winning and who's not. I think Phil said something regarding this matter and the console wars theme some time ago but I can't find the exact quote.

To me it's all about having fun and it always be, no matter which game or the platform I play but I'm aware that some consumers can be too protective to their product of choice to the point they need to justify their purchase to others in order to feel they made a good investment. To be honest, the only thing I would like to see from the Microsoft team would be to get a more serious approach to the European market. Microsoft had some exclusive marketing deals to FIFA16 in here, a game that always sells decent numbers, but making some shelves look nicer and offering copies of the game in mall tournaments isn't enough for most to make the switch or even to also buy the console. They need to work on the mentality of the consumers, which are very different in here. Either way it's all about having a good time and I hope both can do well in the upcoming holiday season.

About the only quality post in this thread from what I've seen. No surprise really, based on the topic and your tendency to offer unbiased thoughts on subjects. This board needs more people like you.

Games come out all the time. As far as exclusives DQ Heroes is my biggest game this season. Let's not pretend that 2017 is a date when games come out. :)

I didn't say no games are coming out before then, I said that I might get one in 2017. Nothing on it calls to me enough to spend on a ps4. If shenmue isn't a total disaster I might want one for that, depends on what kind of money my other hobbies consume honestly, because with my Xbox and PC and my retro gaming consoles I've already got more games than I'll ever have time to play.

I didn't say no games are coming out before then, I said that I might get one in 2017. Nothing on it calls to me enough to spend on a ps4. If shenmue isn't a total disaster I might want one for that, depends on what kind of money my other hobbies consume honestly, because with my Xbox and PC and my retro gaming consoles I've already got more games than I'll ever have time to play.

Then no need to buy any other consoles. No time to play. :_)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom