• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: I don't know if Xbox One can beat PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key words: you and a lot of people consider PS4 at some point, Xbox does not have the same potential.

Nonsense. There are plenty of people who will pickup an Xbox when something on it appeals to them the difference between our statements is that I was speaking for myself, while you seem to be speaking for EVERYONE that they'll never get an xbox, lol.

Tobor

Key words, working on. I might get a PS4 someday, 2017 maybe.

It works both ways. Xbox has no exclusives I'm interested in. I'm not interested in Halo, I hate gears of war, Tomb Raider is timed exclusive and I don't buy racing games. There's no reason for me to even think about one.

Nonsense. There are plenty of people who will pickup an Xbox when something on it appeals to them the difference between our statements is that I was speaking for myself, while you seem to be speaking for EVERYONE that they'll never get an xbox, lol.

In the US, sure. Worldwide, the guy has a point.

Ushay

I hope this means a quicker generation then.

Can't say I disagree here. Bigger and better built machines are welcome, at the same time I'd want to see franchises develop fully like Mass Effect games.

Regardless of how the Xbox was at launch the PS4 always offered a better value to most people, simple as that. It never had a chance.

There is no reason why the Xbox should be ahead or even close to doing as well as the PS4.

The Xbox hardly has any advantages over the PS4 and it is a console designed mostly for NA. I'm surprised the Xbox managed to do as well as it did, props to MS for not giving up.

If you are not a big fan of some MS IP I find it hard to see a reason you would chose the Xbox over the PS4, if you are patient odds are good that the game you want might show up on PC as well, something that doesn't happen as much with Nintendo and Sony.

Games? UI? Controller? Come on dude, there are plenty of reasons to sway either way. The point is they dropped the ball hard this gen. Sony have much better exclusives coming off the back of the last generation and a very consistent, loyal fanbase.

Ultimately I think MS being forced into this position is a great thing for future software and hardware from them,

Can't say I disagree here. Bigger and better built machines are welcome, at the same time I'd want to see franchises develop fully like Mass Effect games.

Games? UI? Controller? Come on dude, there are plenty of reasons to sway either way. The point is they dropped the ball hard this gen. Sony have much better exclusives coming off the back of the last generation and a very consistent, loyal fanbase.

Ultimately I think MS being forced into this position is a great thing for future software and hardware from them,

This guy gets it. Though games are subjective and I'd argue Sony has more and more varied exclusives but not necessarily better.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Consumers made these changes. Microsoft was simply forced to comply or face catastrophic consequences. It's all very simple, everything else is just PR.
The lengths people go to discredit Phil and co.
Why not just let consumers run businesses then?

Kssio_Aug

Well the positive thing is you obviously have very non-mainstream tastes, as the mainstream is buying literally multiple millions more PS4s than XB1s. You're an elitist and that's good.

LOL
If you're not into every mainstream stuff, you're an elitist? Sorry dude, but you're wrong... that's not the reason why people buy XB1 instead of PS4.

I believe the marketing is the big deal. Sony is not selling that much more of consoles because they have proportionally a better line-up. Cause, except for easterns, they don't!

They have build their success with the E3 2013, while MS build their failure at the same time. People were buying PS4 long before any major game was released (the same happened with a minority buying XB1 at release).

Marketing is the soul of success.

Percy

Banned
This thread should be locked at this point. This has just turned into petty arguments.

Thisisneogaf.gif

System warrior insecurity always takes over when the conversation is too uncomfortable for some to handle. Thread has definitely run it's course.

The kind of grudge holding that keeps other waiting for Sony to "show their true arrogance" again?

Pretty much, its all silly stuff, both are corps, both are in it for the money, neither is more evil or less evil than the other. This gen, one fumbled and the other capitialized. I think it would make a great read, the story of how the original xb1 was decided upon and what happened in the aftermath to get to where it is today.

So people who don't own an i-Phone are elitist? because Apple sells so many more phones, I guess all us PC/Windows owners are Elite too lol because they sell so many more over the iMac...
Preach.
I've got a windows phone, an Xbox one and I'm in a programme at work called elite. That makes me the motherlovin' Elite Elite Elite. The only way I could be more elite would be if I bought Elite dangerous and worked my way up to Elite ranking.

d9b

Banned
I think its because they want to hang on to the notion that MS/Xbox are the same old wolf but now in sheeps clothing, too much grudge holding, IMO.
I don't understand how pointing the obvious is holding a grudge. Maybe fanboys see it as "holding a grudge" because they feel their product of choice (Xbox One in this case) is under attack or something...

There a lot of game that actually entice me on the X1 fron, even more so than PS4 personally.

The point is more people will probably consider a PS4 than an xbone. Probably true, but that does not then mean nobody would consider an xbone. It is not all or nothing.

This thread is precisely what I find irritating about this generation. Page after page of useless stating of the obvious, a shot of fanboy paranoia, and not enough live and let live.

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/6RtSGFryKwo?t=11m13s

(Director of Xbox Programming Larry Hyrb interview with Angry Joe at E3 2013, days before the switch flip)
wow, thanks for the link. just looking at the comments section a whole lot of people don't seem fond of that guy in the interview. but anyways, although he never actually said no in response to joe about the switch, his rhetorical answer and subsequent avoidance of the question did seem to imply it.

i did some digging of my own and found this
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/xbox-360/xbox-roadmap/
looks like it is referring to the same interview and he actually states it.

so yeah, going back to my original point, is that not kind of shady that they seemingly lied about it? as well as just doing things that don't seem favorable and just responding in a way in which you think they'll buy your product anyway (sony is guilty of this too)
http://mashable.com/2013/04/05/xbox...lways-on-future-to-deal-with-it/#ye8YsPJ5Zaq1
I know, I was just trying to point out that you keep saying ffS14
oh, yeah. sorry man. it is a habit. the abbreviation just feels incomplete to me without the s when i type it.
I hope this means a quicker generation then.
huh? fuck no. i loved that the last generation was 7-8 years long, and I hope this one is just as long if not longer. but that's just me.
Or the parity clause. He still dances around the subject when it's brought up.
I think the last thing he said was xbone gamers aren't 2nd rate customers, they should be treated as 1st rate customers, because they are. or something like that - except for the fact that the xbone is inferior to Ps4 in some ways, without the cloud or dx12 anyway, so...there's not really anything to do about it there.
This thread should be locked at this point. This has just turned into petty arguments.
not everyone.

Troy

Banned
The point is more people will probably consider a PS4 than an xbone. Probably true, but that does not then mean nobody would consider an xbone. It is not all or nothing.

This thread is precisely what I find irritating about this generation. Page after page of useless stating of the obvious, a shot of fanboy paranoia, and not enough live and let live.

Welcome to every console generation. Fanboys gonna fanboy.

Thisisneogaf.gif

System warrior insecurity always takes over when the conversation is too uncomfortable for some to handle. Thread has definitely run it's course.

But I love microsoft and xbox! I mean how cool is it that I get the best and worst experience from their products? I want to game in a low key 720p I hit up the xbox, I want to play battlefront in that sweet 1080p I go on my beautiful pc!

Abdiel

No, he was basically correct. Outside of the US and UK, with the two systems launching alongside of each other, there's no reason why the XB1 would ever be ahead of the PS4 worldwide. The WW market has never embraced (and I do mean embraced - Not accepted or bought) the XB hardware. The largest chunk of the 360's sales came from the US and UK last generation, and without that year and a half lead, there was no chance of that same circumstance happening unless Sony literally shot themselves.

As to the rest of the arguments in this thread:

Phil has done a very good job of taking over the reins and righting the ship. He's focused on addressing consumer complaints, concerns and making the product more appealing via things like removal of the kinect, addressing value concerns by lowering the cost, and continuing to expand the games developed for the system. Props to Phil and co. for that, no need to try to pretend that he's been twiddling his thumbs this whole time.

However, for everyone blaming the failures of all this on marketing, you're also fooling yourselves. Customers are a mixed bag, there's some that are totally uninformed beyond the first impressions from the reveal on the used games thing, but I mean, that's what our staff is for, we do inform customers that it's 100% incorrect that they can't buy used games for an XB1. Most of the time though, it's mostly a matter of mindshare, what seems to be the better product for the cost, and Sony is just doing a great job this time around in competing. The controller and exclusives are largely irrelevant to the general marketplace, outside of the heavy hitters specifically like Halo, and Halo fans are already aware of their likely purchasing decision. Acting like who has a more diverse exclusive library is really not going to make that big of a difference most of the time, unless that divide becomes huge, as at that point there's such a wide array of titles and genres that it can bring in a wider audience.

I feel like Phil's answer is honest, and safe. It seems effectively impossible that they can win this generation. And, from the trending impressions, it seems likely they'll sell less than the 360 as well. However, as long as they can avoid huge debacles like the RRoD, they should be able to turn it into a profit anyway, one would hope.

This community is extremely insular, and people forget that, on both "sides". I don't own an XB1, and I have no interest in one, as the games it offers that are not available on my PS4 are not to my tastes. I'm primarily a JRPG type gamer, with stuff like Destiny thrown in with friends. But I don't disparage the other console as a result. It just doesn't appeal to me. No need to be personally invested in that.

It won't but so what? Each company should do their best to make whoever purchased their console happy. That's all that matters. Only lame fanboys care who's "winning."

fallingdove

LOL
If you're not into every mainstream stuff, you're an elitist? Sorry dude, but you're wrong... that's not the reason why people buy XB1 instead of PS4.

I believe the marketing is the big deal. Sony is not selling that much more of consoles because they have proportionally a better line-up. Cause, except for easterns, they don't!

They have build their success with the E3 2013, while MS build their failure at the same time. People were buying PS4 long before any major game was released (the same happened with a minority buying XB1 at release).

Marketing is the soul of success.

great post. I definitely agree.

Sony has the delivered message that it has the more powerful system, that Xbox One doesn't do 1080p, and that all of the year's best games are on PS4; and not only do they look better but they also come with exclusive content. I think this has been much more effective than the mostly mediocre exclusives that each company has delivered.

Troy

Banned
Well the positive thing is you obviously have very non-mainstream tastes, as the mainstream is buying literally multiple millions more PS4s than XB1s. You're an elitist and that's good.

No post deserves to be on the GAF Shitposts twitter account more than yours.

It won't but so what? Each company should do their best to make whoever purchased their console happy. That's all that matters. Only lame fanboys care who's "winning."

Believe me, some of the manufacturers do care. They even point out straight forward which milestones must be reached first to win the console war. You see this in other industries as well. VW wanted to become the largest car manufacturer in the world (based in vehicles sold). I bring this example up to illustrate that there are better strategic targets out there. Like, earning actual cash instead of burning it for example.

ironcreed

Banned
Another thread that has devolved into a shit slinging console war? Who would have guessed?

tYn1NsP.gif

It never ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom