• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content"

In 2020 everything will still be Matricks fault. He laid the foundations, they couldn't recover.

The marketing deals that were set in stone.
The studio closures.
The cancelled games.
The lack of innovation.
The sales underperformance.

It's all Matrick's fault. I don't know how the guy sleeps at night.

Mattrick has been a boogeyman for some time. Before E3, people were saying this year would be the year that phil's efforts shined at e3 because its about 3-4 years after Mattrick.

The guy knows his fanbase, look below for proof.

vB9B5.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah that 42 exclusive games shit they pulled was something else.....

How much of those shown were really full exclusive? 10?

That label is just so dumb either gain full exclusivity or don't. The shitty 1 month/year later crap needs to stop.

Sony has it too tho so both are kinda doing this situation.

While I agree that their "exclusive game" stuff was disingenuous in many cases, they showed 42 games while stating pretty much half would be exclusive in some way (not all 42).

KORNdoggy

i imagine he's only saying this because he isn't getting the deals. but it's nice to have the opportunity to appear nice i guess.

Duxxy3

The real story is that Phil doesn't have the money or pull to get these types of deals anymore.

This combined with the lack of first party content and you can tell Phil is running a vastly reduced budget. I'd love to see numbers on that.

Yeah I've wondered about that too.

The lack of marketing deals. The lack of third party exclusives. The lack of first party studios and of first party games. Moving all new first party games to Windows 10.

Either Phil is an idiot, and there are times when I wonder, or he's very constricted on what he can and can't do. Unfortunately all of those things that he can't do, or won't do, make the Xbox platform much less attractive.

pastrami

But paying to keep games off another platform for limited time is ok, right Phil?

Not saying the Destiny situation is ok, because it's not, but this is typical Phil speaking from both sides of his mouth.

Yeah, I mean, I think most people would agree with Phil that exclusivity deals suck for gamers.

But this is like Phil eating a steak, looking over at another guy eating a steak, and saying without a hint of irony, " Can you get a load of that guy? Eating steak? Doesn't he know how bad meat consumption is for the environment?"

MisterR

That deal?
Likely made in 2012 or even earlier.
You know when the game was first shown and releaed, right?

people who call Phil "full of shit" are more like what they accuse him of.

I will say this, you remind me a great deal of Phil Spencer.

Elandyll

Banned
I agree, but coming from him in particular is particularly disingenuous.

The two worst examples are still from MS this gen: RotTR and thevshenanigans behing Titanfall becoming a lifetime exclusive.

Also hypocritical when their conference was riddled to the gills with "console launch exclusive".

Just playing the "Good Guy Phil" part, but he is full of shit.

Budi

Even if that deal was Mattrick's, what about Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Tomb Raider came out only a couple months before Mattrick fled to Zynga. That was all Phil.

Sure that's true. But I don't think Spencer was talking about timed exclusives in the interview. Even OP talks about permanently locking content out of other platforms, not temporarily. This thread just took a silly turn when people didn't want to understand what was said, it's easier to just make fun of Spencer.

Huh what were all these "console launch exclusive" things then at their E3 pres?

Timed? And not sure if those are still coming to PC at the same time, the wording is bit confusing.

WaterAstro

While I agree that their "exclusive game" stuff was disingenuous in many cases, they showed 42 games while stating pretty much half would be exclusive in some way (not all 42).

None of them are exclusives.

They're all either timed or also on PC.

jelly

Even if that deal was Mattrick's, what about Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Tomb Raider came out only a couple months before Mattrick fled to Zynga. That was all Phil.

Yeah. Uncharted, we don't make new IP, ummmm, buy Tomb Raider!

Uncharted delayed.

Shit.

Hahahaha yeah they just like delaying games on other platforms instead. As if they give a shit about the content on the competitiors console.

GHG

Gold Member
That deal?

You might want to do some fact checking.

joe_zazen

Come on I said that a big Part of this is because they cant get the big hitters anymore. Of course this is PR speech but that wouldnt stop them to get stuff with mordor, ac or Anthem. Because of that I said they deserve shit if they go backwards on this. I never said they are the good ones, the tomb raider deal was shit, Fifa was shit. But if they truely changed their minds and they dont do this stuff with games they get , this is a good thing for everyone.

Parity clause requires exclusive content to this day. Or doesn't that matter because it's just for indies?

KAOz

Short bus special
Mattrick has been a boogeyman for some time. Before E3, people were saying this year would be the year that phil's efforts shined at e3 because its about 3-4 years after Mattrick.

But those years have been pushed forward. 3-4 years is too little time apperantly.

Next year is the year when Phils own strategy shows. For real this time.

Quonny

What are some non-Destiny examples of permanent locked content that isn't specifically PlayStation branded?

I'm really trying to think.

That deal?

Man, the guy really won himself an army of fans in social media. There's literally no decision that can be pinned on him!

Sheroking

Sure that's true. But I don't think Spencer was talking about timed exclusives in the interview. Even OP talks about permanently locking content out of other platforms, not temporarily. This thread just took a silly turn when people didn't want to understand what was said, it's easier to just make fun of Spencer.

I think there's a fundamental hypocrisy in that, though.

You don't like exclusive content... unless it expires months to years later? Which consumer would care about the kind of content locking he's talking about but would be entirely cool with waiting a year to play the game at all?

Cornbread78

wait, wait, wait, so....

locking away the entire game of Tomb Raider is OK, but a strike and skins in Destiny 2 is a problem for the industry?

tumblr_mfqo6bG09G1ro8cnpo1_500.gif

Shut the fuck up Phil you cringy bullshiter. If MS was #1, they would be doing this non-stop as they were previously. The main reason they're not doing exactly what Sony is is because they're getting decimated by them.

The sad thing is there's people even on gaf who buy this hot garbage.

score01

Wasn't there some FIFA mode/thing that is only just now making its way on to PS4 after quite a few years?

I mean I totally agree. With holding content sucks. Be it from other platforms but also on the same platforms (eg difference preorder incentives for different retailers).

Is good guy Phil calling himself out here?

That deal?

For a scorpio, you seem can't keep calm. Don't get angry because people call out his comment ;)

Budi

I think there's a fundamental hypocrisy in that, though.

You don't like exclusive content... unless it expires months to years later? Which consumer would care about the kind of content locking he's talking about but would be entirely cool with waiting a year to play the game at all?

Many people aren't entirely cool with it, but personally I'm happy to take later PC ports than nothing at all. At launch would be even better ofcourse.

I will say this, you remind me a great deal of Phil Spencer.

Thanks for the compliment.
I'm gladly associated with an EVP in of of the largest and most successful companies worldwide, who turned around his division and accomplished so much.

Bonus point: he also gets more topics dedicated to him on Neogaf.com than anyone else ;)

For a scorpio, you seem can't keep calm. Don't get angry because people call out his comment ;)
I'm calm, bro
And "call out" makes me laugh.
Yeah neogaf call out culture is the best

Do i need a /s for this or is it obvious enough?
Do i seem even more angry for you now, because i post some words?

HYDE

Banned
This is indeed a worrying trend IMO, at least content that is permanently locked away from other platforms.

What's the difference between locking away some content to locking away all content?
Games should be available on all platforms right?
Wrong.
It's exactly the same as being upset a piece of software isn't available on someone's platform of choice.
I understand though, we all want everything desirable to be on our preferred console or controller.

Top Bottom