• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Phantom Dust HD release- "Should ship before E3"

I'm so confused... I didn't know this was un-cancelled. Clearly I've been out of the loop. I had to google search to find out about it.

Vazduh

Voodoo Vince is at least running in 1080p/60fps, how hard would it be to remaster Phantom Dust the same way? Jeez.

480p is unacceptable, unless there was some form of miscommunication :/ (I doubt it after seeing that video)

Wereroku

Voodoo Vince is at least running in 1080p/60fps, how hard would it be to remaster Phantom Dust the same way? Jeez.

480p is unacceptable, unless there was some form of miscommunication :/ (I doubt it after seeing that video)
Well if you go by the quote it was made so cheaply it didn't need approval by anyone but her. So this seems like more of an enhanced direct port.

I missed it during the original Xbox era, really curious to see why it was so beloved.

btw, the level of promotion of this game is ridiculously low, not expecting a AAA push here, not even something extra, just anything at all

Theorry

Well if you go by the quote it was made so cheaply it didn't need approval by anyone but her. So this seems like more of an enhanced direct port.

This also shows we dont get OG Xbox BC very soon. Otherwise they didnt need to do this really.

Wereroku

That can't be right. The game must be a remaster, even if it's a basic one. Othewise it would be a re-release?
No re- would be pretty accurate and we have gotten them before from companies. Breath of Fire 3 on the PSP was pretty much the same except for a fishing minigame and maybe widescreen I can remember exactly.

Mechazawa

This also shows we dont get OG Xbox BC very soon. Otherwise they didnt need to do this really.
Uh, yeah they did. Im not fucking with Phantom Dust again just for the campaign, which might as well just be bot matches.

I also don't really understand that Polygon quote. It was almost done at E3 but we still haven't heard much else 7 months later? By this point, I would sure hope that 480p info is nonsense and they haven't spent all this time solely reintegrating Live and tweaking the balance.

Uh, yeah they did. Im not fucking with Phantom Dust again just for the campaign, which might as well just be bot matches.

I also don't really understand that Polygon quote. It was almost done at E3 but we still haven't heard much else 7 months later? By this point, I would sure hope that 480p info is nonsense and they haven't spent all this time solely reintegrating Live and tweaking the balance.
Bot matches with one of the greatest stories in gaming, to be fair.

Yeah, I don't really understand the 480p stuff either. They're already going into the game to add all sorts of new online features, but they wouldn't also spend some time getting the game (even if they went an emulation route) to run above 2004 television standards? I could maybe understand if it was a 2D game, but it's not. There's no reason they couldn't at least have a majority of the visuals running at a higher resolution, especially in battles.

Only thing I'm actually worried about is framerate. I know they promised improvements, but that could be a locked 30fps instead of the 60+ we all want.

Ricky_R

No re- would be pretty accurate and we have gotten them before from companies. Breath of Fire 3 on the PSP was pretty much the same except for a fishing minigame and maybe widescreen I can remember exactly.

My "that can't be right" is more about MS re-releasing a game like that instead of at least a basic remaster. Specially since it was announced soon after the remake was canned. I don't know, I just feel it wouldn't help MS at all.

Again no steam, just like killerinstinct..
Sigh..
Sa i'm still sitting on win7 this is sort of an issue..
Though dem 480p....

Wow okay so I was looking forward to this after Phil canned the remake... but it's not even a HD remaster? I'll pass. Cheers Phil! Keep up the great work

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah... Fable Legends, Scalebound and the reboot of Phantom Dust have been cancelled, Lionhead and Press Play studios have closed under her leadership of Microsoft's first party publishing.

Fine with me if I'm finally getting (granted a UWP port. Ugh.) a PC version of the original Phantom Dust 12 years later.

m23

I'm so confused... I didn't know this was un-cancelled. Clearly I've been out of the loop. I had to google search to find out about it.

This isn't the remake that was announced and then cancelled. This is just a port with live enabled.

Better than nothing IMO.

Jito

Banned
I doubt it. That'd mean releasing it with little to no marketing meaning it'll probably bomb pretty hard seeing as it's quite an unknown game to the mainstream.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I doubt it. That'd mean releasing it with little to no marketing meaning it'll probably bomb pretty hard seeing as it's quite an unknown game to the mainstream.

its an HD version of decade old game that has niche audience lol what marketing? And why would it bomb. Its not like millions invested in this project.

Jito

Banned
its an HD version of decade old game that has niche audience lol what marketing? And why would it bomb. Its not like millions invested in this project.

Even HD re-releases get marketing. Regardless of how niche the game is, they're not just aiming to sell it to fans of the series. Wasn't there a new game in the pipeline? They probably want this to do well to garner interest for the new game.

JaggedSac

Yeah... Fable Legends, Scalebound and the reboot of Phantom Dust have been cancelled, Lionhead and Press Play studios have closed under her leadership of Microsoft's first party publishing.

I played one of those games. It was for the best it got cancelled.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Even HD re-releases get marketing. Regardless of how niche the game is, they're not just aiming to sell it to fans of the series. Wasn't there a new game in the pipeline? They probably want this to do well to garner interest for the new game.

Remake has been cancelled.

With the gathered information from everyone above, i am more inclined to believe it is more in-line with OG XBOX BACK COMPAT.

Phantom Dust seems to be part of the 'launch' for this new feature for the xbox platform.

e3 will be interesting, or whatever event 'before' e3.

EDIT: NVMD

Guymelef

With the gathered information from everyone above, i am more inclined to believe it is more in-line with OG XBOX BACK COMPAT.

Phantom Dust seems to be part of the 'launch' for this new feature for the xbox platform.

e3 will be interesting, or whatever event 'before' e3.

How is this a back compat game?

New Features for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC:
• Xbox Live Arena support integrated
• Play on Windows 10 PC or Xbox One seamlessly with cross-saves, retaining all of your progress and in-game items between both platforms.
• Cross-device play lets you play against friends regardless of platform.
• Full Xbox Live feature set of the original game, including downloading top player’s arsenals to practice against them – a feature not available since the original’s release!
• Looking for Group on Xbox Live so you can find and connect with other gamers more easily than ever.
• Multiplayer starter arsenals are included. Jump right into multiplayer with a better selection of skills!
• The Multiplayer skill shop is no longer tied to solo player progression. All skills are available for purchase immediately for multiplayer use.
• Improvements to game balance and frame rate

PantsuJo

480p?

Well, if this means that OG Xbox emulation is possible on One... then I'm happy, honestly.

The status of OG Xbox emulation is a mess: only MS can save us.

xviper

we haven't seen anything about the game, so i doubt it

even if it releases before e3 2017, it will be like D4, no marketing = fail

Salty Hippo

Putting out a 480p game in 2017 is Nintendo levels of tone-deafness, my god. They have so little faith in this game that they are unwilling to pay the peanuts that it would cost to upres it. Why even fucking bother then? To partially fulfill the promise of a canceled game?

This only way this would be acceptable is if it was part of some Og Xbox back combat initiative. Or if it was priced at 4.99.

Wereroku

Putting out a 480p game in 2017 is Nintendo levels of tone-deafness, my god. They have so little faith in this game that they are unwilling to pay the peanuts that it would cost to upres it. Why even fucking bother then? To partially fulfill the promise of a canceled game?

This only way this would be acceptable is if it was part of some Og Xbox back combat initiative. Or if it was priced at 4.99.

I think you are underestimating the scale of the project. We just learned now that the budget was small enough to only need her approval. They don't appear to be doing any work on the textures or renderer. This will probably be a budget priced release that seems like more of a passion project then a money making project.

Edit: Blah just realized I made a mistake. Overestimating not underestimating.

Theorry

I think you are underestimating the scale of the project. We just learned now that the budget was small enough to only need her approval. They don't appear to be doing any work on the textures or renderer. This will probably be a budget priced release that seems like more of a passion project then a money making project.

Jup. Sounds more like a inhouse little project they wanted to do and found some little cash to support. Guess i am more willing to see the positive of things instead of the negative aspect all the time. But i know i am on Gaf haha.

N.Domixis

Banned
People are pretending like the Crash Bandicoot remake looks good and that the original was a good game. So i'd say this has a chance.
Absolutely disgusting.

I think it looks good and millions loved the originals other wise they would have never sold millions.

Space_nut

I'm wondering if maybe they are testing a OG Xbox emulation which is why it'll be rendering the same way before. If they can get this working bring on crimson Skies

Wereroku

I'm wondering if maybe they are testing a OG Xbox emulation which is why it'll be rendering the same way before. If they can get this working bring on crimson Skies

Maybe but it would be closer to Sony's approach then the 360 approach. This has brand new MP content and balance changes. However depending on the success and costs of it they may use it as an option to get fan favorite og xbox releases working on live.

Top Bottom