• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says he finds Console Wars Distasteful and Wants to Push Against It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Late Flag

Phil seems pretty genuine. Guys like him, Shuhei Yoshida, Adam Boyes etc make the 'console wars' into more of a friendly sparring match than a title fight.

Well said. Everybody appreciates a little friendly rivalry. Things got too ugly and immature last gen and especially when the new consoles were being rolled out.

I remember that Star Wars promo Xbox did with Major Nelson. That was the most fanboy bait-y move I've seen this generation. Don't think MN is on the same page as Phil.

Well said. Everybody appreciates a little friendly rivalry. Things got too ugly and immature last gen and especially when the new consoles were being rolled out.

It was hard when MS had such an incendiary reveal and Matrick all but shotgunned MS in the proverbial foot. Phil has done a lot to undo that memory. Hope he sticks around for the next gen so we can see his vision imagined and executed by him.

I mean, bar the E3 2013 knockout blow to MS, Sony has kinda ignored the competition. Same with Nintendo. Their idea seems to be to simply ignore the other companies exist. At the very least Phil Spencer acknowledges them and enables a little friendly competition (like when he said he'd be down for Banjo being in Smash).

Huggers

I have great memories of the 16 bit console war. But then again I was 10. As for today. As long as it's good humoured a little console war is all part of the fun. Definitely suits Phil Spencer to get all magnanimous right now though

What the fuck? These people are insane.

Youtube gaming community is crap.

That was hard to watch. I hate that guys "you gotta support the American brand" bullshit.

Wow. Hard to watch.

What I posted is the frost on the tip of the iceberg.

It is a XB PR disaster waiting to happen because frequently they make out as though they and Phil Spencer are close friends. If the mods allow it and strictly to demonstrate how sickening this group are I'd post their openly racist rants against PS4 and the Japanese. But I'd need clear approval from a mod first for obvious reasons.

The guy who tried to make Yoshida uncomfortable by getting into the elevator, standing behind him and then laughing as loud as he possibly could is none other than Timdog. And he goes into great detail about how he did it and why.

Again, the trouble with this whole thing is they claim to be cool with Greenberg, Major Nelson, and Phil Spencer.
I think that if the gaming media ever picked this up and really reviewed the harassing of children, Racism, and the other vile and truly disgusting things that these guys carry out in the name of XBOX ONE, it'd go more than viral. It would be a huge stain on that community despite the fact that it's predicated by a group of 5 40 somethings.

The vitriolic and vile and racist shit that ferments in these guys mouths about the Japanese because it's home to SCE in contrast with that "We're cool with Phil Spencer" talk has to be the reason Phil Spencer spoke about the situation. A platform debate is one thing and something we all engage in it from time to time. But stalking kids at gamestop and being racist under the banner of XBO is something else entirely. I think that in due course Phil Spencer will be forced to disassociate himself or make a clear distinction between what these guys say about their relationship with him and his team VS the actual reality. It's a gargantuan PR disaster waiting to happen, the moment it goes public imo.

So yes, his comments have to be directed at those guys. I haven't seen anything that even remotely borders on this type of behavior from the PS community.

CoG

He's a great speaker. He isn't a visionary, he's a guy in a suit strategically dressed in jeans and a t shirt.

This is just PR, of course it's about Sony... business is 100% about market share and mind share.

Still like the guy though!

He's actually a pretty terrible speaker. His awkward, teleprompted deliveries at E3, etc. a pretty cringeworthy. Example.

genjiZERO

As someone who no longer plays videogames the only thing keeping me interested in the industry is the "console war". It's like a sports competition, but for businesses.

It is a XB PR disaster waiting to happen because frequently they make out as though they and Phil Spencer are close friends. If the mods allow it and strictly to demonstrate how sickening this group are I'd post their openly racist rants against PS4 and the Japanese. But I'd need clear approval from a mod first for obvious reasons.

The guy who tried to make Yoshida uncomfortable by getting into the elevator, standing behind him and then laughing as loud as he possibly could is none other than Timdog. And he goes into great detail about how he did it and why.

Again, the trouble with this whole thing is they claim to be cool with Greenberg, Major Nelson, and Phil Spencer.
I think that if the gaming media ever picked this up and really reviewed the harassing of children, Racism, and the other vile and truly disgusting things that these guys carry out in the name of XBOX ONE, it'd go more than viral. It would be a huge stain on that community despite the fact that it's predicated by a group of 5 40 somethings.

The vitriolic and vile and racist shit that ferments in these guys mouths about the Japanese because it's home to SCE in contrast with that "We're cool with Phil Spencer" talk has to be the reason Phil Spencer spoke about the situation. A platform debate is one thing and something we all engage in it from time to time. But stalking kids at gamestop and being racist under the banner of XBO is something else entirely. I think that in due course Phil Spencer will be forced to disassociate himself or make a clear distinction between what these guys say about their relationship with him and his team VS the actual reality. It's a gargantuan PR disaster waiting to happen, the moment it goes public imo.

So yes, his comments have to be directed at those guys. I haven't seen anything that even remotely borders on this type of behavior from the PS community.

Wut! This has to be parody.

And grown ass men pulling this sort of deplorable behaviour? Disgusting.

Well. I can't help but make this comparison every time someone brings up tomb raider:

Microsofts involvement with Tomb raider in part funded and benefited its development, which in turn will benefit the PC and PS4 down the road as they will eventually receive the title.

Sony's involvement with street fighter V in part funded and benefited its development, which in turn will never see the light of Day on the Xbox.

Similar situations, entirely different outcomes? I'm not claiming either approach is 'bad' here, but people do seem fairly selective when talking about these deals.

Well said.

Chobel

WTF?! PM me the link please. I seriously didn't think Tim will stoop that low.

Outrun

Utterly dominated is a bit exaggerated, but your point is well stated. He's really only saying these things because he has to. And really, if he only cared about getting good games on the system he would drop the Indie parity clause and let FF IV open up the XBL architecture to be cross-plat with PSN and PC.

With all due respect, how do you know what is in the man's heart?

All this talk about parity clauses, and opening up of XBL is laughable. MS is a multinational worth billions. I assure you that these issues are not as easily removed as you are making it out to be....

Well, let's not pretend the TR deal hasn't happened in large part because Phil Spencer wanted a counter to be able to bounce heads in the 3rd person action adventure genre with Sony's Xmas bomb aka Uncharted 4... which in the end got delayed, lol

Well, sure. But this is covered in the "we need software to prop up our library" portion of the hypothetical conversation.

system11

"I've said before, the one thing that I probably find a little distasteful in the discourse around games is the divisiveness that people try to build between platforms,"

Yeah, next thing you know people will start buying exclusivity.

pastrami

Well, sure. But this is covered in the "we need software to prop up our library" portion of the hypothetical conversation.

Why do you doubt that your second hypothetical is what happened? Do you think Tomb Raider was not on track to make it this year? Or that Square Enix struggling for to scrounge up money for the project?

Marketing incentives are given all the time. Look at Battlefront or Call of Duty. But it rarely comes at the expense of delaying an entire game for a platform for an entire year. What do you think happened with this deal that made it so different to basically every other marketing deal?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I think MS has waged an API war instead. They are making consoles redundant, its just a box. A proprietary API on a universal platform like windows 10 for directx12 is the real money maker.

The war is with vulcan, mantel, etc. MS is about software and enterprise. A physical proprietary console doesnt have the same cost benefit, especially if everyone owns windows 10 bc it is a free upgrade.

Liamario

Banned
It's very easy for him to say that now, of course. His colleague Aaron greenburg was particularly nauseating last gen.

leeh

Why do you doubt that your second hypothetical is what happened? Do you think Tomb Raider was not on track to make it this year? Or that Square Enix struggling for to scrounge up money for the project?
You never know what happened inside the company. Square Enix is a public company, RoTR could of been posted to the board and they could of said no without financial help, considering the numbers from the previous games and how the re-master sold. We don't really know anything. Just saying 'moneyhats' is jumping to a conclusion without any given evidence.

Again, I think there's a perfectly reasonable difference between competition between brands, which is what we want and need to produce the best results for us as gamers, and that being friendly-to-fierce, in terms of PR and what not, and then the cesspool conspiracy theory horseshit endless console warz bullshit that many gamers seem to centre their lives around. It's fine to be part of the first and dislike the latter. In fact it's pretty damn reasonable.

Kssio_Aug

He is 100% right. People indeed waste hours and hours in a forum literally protecting their favorite brand or platform for no reason but not accepting or owning a different one.

That's pathetic. And I was a huge Sony fanboy not long ago... Today, when I think about it, I see that I wasted more of my time trying to convince others and even myself from untrue and stupid things, rather than using my time studying, reading, playing or discussing much more decently.

pastrami

You never know what happened inside the company. Square Enix is a public company, RoTR could of been posted to the board and they could of said no without financial help, considering the numbers from the previous games and how the re-master sold. We don't really know anything. Just saying 'moneyhats' is jumping to a conclusion without any given evidence.

We had an insider say that the game didn't need Microsoft's help. We also know that Microsoft didn't shout its exclusivity from the get go. When have they ever not been proud of their exclusives? That leads to the assumption that their exclusive deal hadn't been made yet. Microsoft was very quick to announce Titanfall being lifetime exclusive once that deal was made. I really doubt they were sitting on announcing Tomb Raider as an exclusive.

Well, firstly, big corporations that are beholden to shareholders aren't at liberty to cut transparently awful deals just to spite the competition in a meaningless war that stockholders don't care about. What I'm getting at here is that I think some people equate "moneyhatting" as some careless expenditure of money just to get a desired result. You know, Phil says "what's it going to take to get Tomb Raider exclusively on Microsoft platforms for a year," a Square Enix exec responds "more than you can afford," and Phil slides a piece of paper across the table and says "write down a number," and then doubles the number that is written down.

That's not how these deals get made. MS is a giant corporation. They don't need to throw money down the toilet on a bum deal just to have something to tout come the holiday season.

Secondly, I'm not sure where the dust ultimately settled on the first Tomb Raider after years of being on the market and the Definitive Edition re-releases, but I remember it being one of those titles that had sold millions of copies after about six months on the market and still not managed to break even. Development is expensive and marketing is expensive when the budget is so high and you need to sell so many copies to break even.

Someone in such a position might be amenable to a partnership with a platform holder. For a title like this, you've got two choices. One already has a comparable game that is going to be a higher priority to them, the other doesn't. As such, one is going to offer a stronger incentive to acquire perks for their platform than the other. But it's not going to be ludicrous sums of money. It's just, here's what we can do for you. And then as the publisher you weigh that.

On the one hand, you're getting a lot more money to market your game. Yes, it's to a smaller audience, but other platforms will eventually have the opportunity to buy it as well, and they'll probably know more about it as well. On the other, it's going to be a year late against that year's competition, so yes, you're more likely than not going to achieve fewer sales than you would have had you launched simultaneously.

I don't think these kinds of decisions are trivial. But if you're a company that is somewhat risk averse in terms of trying to account for the possibility of "what if this game doesn't set the world on fire," when you're about to spend ~100 million on it (I don't actually know the real figure), maybe you're inclined to take a deal.

Page 11 post 528 just a couple of examples. I wish it were parody but it's actual real life.

More?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPOVMnXFtps

One of my favorites is when they found out ROTTR was coming to PS4. They tried to explain that the PS4 would in fact get the 360 port of ROTTR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaAyk1JngrA

Hahahaha. I'm in tears laughing at what that guy was saying!

I mean how can the PS4 version receive the 360 port? And the PC port will be a slightly lesser version than the X1 release? Amazing.

The levels of fanboyism can reach truly absurd levels.

Tigress

I mean, bar the E3 2013 knockout blow to MS, Sony has kinda ignored the competition. Same with Nintendo. Their idea seems to be to simply ignore the other companies exist. At the very least Phil Spencer acknowledges them and enables a little friendly competition (like when he said he'd be down for Banjo being in Smash).

Sony didn't ignore the competition with the PS. I remember the ads with Crash Bandicoot standing outside Nintendo headquarters screaming something at it (I don't remember what). They were pretty aggressive towards Nintendo (but they also weren't the name brand at hte time and were trying to make a name for themselves in the console business. It is telling Nintendo obviously was the top dog that they were aiming all their efforts on them and totally ignoring Sega). That was around the "You are not ready!" campaign. Kinda shows how far Nintendo has fallen that no one is targetting them now (the other two don't even seem to know they exist...).

Honestly, I miss those days. I just thought it was pretty humorous. Back then no one whined about console wars, it was just friendly bickering between friends and being amused at commercials like that. I remember arguing with my friend about Nintendo vs. Sony (the N64 was coming out and he was sure that was going to shut down Sony's Playstation. I was skeptical of that claim). I never found it annoying, it was just us teasing each other.

But of course that was before internet and you get people arguing that are being serious and not friendly about it I suppose.

Apathy

Shhht! Or I'm going to post their blog, which is dedicated to Neogaf (owner and mods) and their bias against Microsoft and the Xbox brand. Of course with ironclad proofs!

It's of misterxmedia? Lol

I watched the two vids you posted after. Geeze. To be honest though both the clips from people saying the pro xbox side and the people refuting them seem like they care about this too much. The Tim dog thing though, pm me that, that I gotta watch.

Hahahaha. I'm in tears laughing at what that guy was saying!

I mean how can the PS4 version receive the 360 port? And the PC port will be a slightly lesser version than the X1 release? Amazing.

The levels of fanboyism can reach truly absurd levels.

This for me is the tears inducer. A well known former gaffer (who is a part of that vitriolic group I mentioned.) Outside of Bestbuy boasting about August NPD being "on lock" because of that bestbuy TV deal. Obviously this was before the August NPD results came in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSj1t3Nr25I

Have you ever seen anything like this?

dose

Sorry, but that's simply not true.
http://www.destructoid.com/sony-tweets-congrats-to-microsoft-for-xbox-one-launch-266196.phtml
http://thisgengaming.com/2015/06/15/sony-congratulates-microsoft-on-a-successful-e3-conference/

I semi-frequently play on my X1 with a guy who works for Playstation.

The layers, man, the layers. How far down the rabbit hole will I go?

This for me is the tears inducer. A well known former gaffer (who is a part of that vitriolic group I mentioned.) Outside of Bestbuy boasting about August NPD being "on lock" because of that bestbuy TV deal. Obviously this was before the August NPD results came in.

People can make whatever NPD predictions they like but Jesus H. Christ that video is the craziest thing I'll see all weekend.

Actively stalking people outside stores? isthisreallife.jpg

Curufinwe

Dude harasses guys at gamestop for buying Ps4 (he has admitted to doing this on more occasions but below is just one example.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YL-ErPTJ00

Propoganda such as the cloud makes the XB more powerful than a PC running 4 titans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJPho0C9ZI

I wont post them collectively and openly being racist against the Japanese but those vids are out there also. Phil Spencer is talking directly to this group of 5 who have a hate podcast.

I'll post the attempt to stalk/make Yoshida uncomfortable at E3 vid if need be. But yeah, Phil Spencer is talking to the insane side of his own community.

Absolutely revolting.

pastrami

Well, firstly, big corporations that are beholden to shareholders aren't at liberty to cut transparently awful deals just to spite the competition in a meaningless war that stockholders don't care about. What I'm getting at here is that I think some people equate "moneyhatting" as some careless expenditure of money just to get a desired result. You know, Phil says "what's it going to take to get Tomb Raider exclusively on Microsoft platforms for a year," a Square Enix exec responds "more than you can afford," and Phil slides a piece of paper across the table and says "write down a number," and then doubles the number that is written down.

That's not how these deals get made. MS is a giant corporation. They don't need to throw money down the toilet on a bum deal just to have something to tout come the holiday season.

Secondly, I'm not sure where the dust ultimately settled on the first Tomb Raider after years of being on the market and the Definitive Edition re-releases, but I remember it being one of those titles that had sold millions of copies after about six months on the market and still not managed to break even. Development is expensive and marketing is expensive when the budget is so high and you need to sell so many copies to break even.

Someone in such a position might be amenable to a partnership with a platform holder. For a title like this, you've got two choices. One already has a comparable game that is going to be a higher priority to them, the other doesn't. As such, one is going to offer a stronger incentive to acquire perks for their platform than the other. But it's not going to be ludicrous sums of money. It's just, here's what we can do for you. And then as the publisher you weigh that.

On the one hand, you're getting a lot more money to market your game. Yes, it's to a smaller audience, but other platforms will eventually have the opportunity to buy it as well, and they'll probably know more about it as well. On the other, it's going to be a year late against that year's competition, so yes, you're more likely than not going to achieve fewer sales than you would have had you launched simultaneously.

I don't think these kinds of decisions are trivial. But if you're a company that is somewhat risk averse in terms of trying to account for the possibility of "what if this game doesn't set the world on fire," when you're about to spend ~100 million on it (I don't actually know the real figure), maybe you're inclined to take a deal.

I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say. Because on one hand, you seem to believe that Microsoft wouldn't pay to delay the game for other platforms. But on the other, you seem to be saying that Microsoft offered more incentives in exchange for better perks. Maybe something like more marketing money in exchange for delaying the game on other platforms?

I mean, obviously the deals don't happen like the movies. Microsoft didn't make Square Enix "an offer they can't refuse." But earlier you said that Microsoft wouldn't pay to delay the game, then gave an example where they pay to delay the game.

Remember, you don't win silver, you lose gold.

b1e5b6c94adca68130485ddbcfd9e401.jpg

What an asshole. I used to talk to that guy on Twitter and it was pretty good natured for a while, and then he got weirdly personal and aggressive with me. Post a link if you can though, I'd like to see this.

vin-buc

LOL. This is my post from the previous page:

vin-buc said:
I watched a twitter video of someone in front of best buy video taping a man standing in front of the store waiting to open, saying "he's definitely going to buy an xbox". "xbox is gonna win August". Stuff like that (@40 years old) is just crazy to me.

I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say. Because on one hand, you seem to believe that Microsoft wouldn't pay to delay the game for other platforms. But on the other, you seem to be saying that Microsoft offered more incentives in exchange for better perks. Maybe something like more marketing money in exchange for delaying the game on other platforms?

I never said MS wouldn't pay for exclusivity. I'm simply saying that the discussion that leads to this outcome is the result of two parties coming together to try to arrive at a mutually beneficial deal. Not MS driving a convoy of dump trucks full of money to Square Enix headquarters to the point where they can't possibly say no.

pastrami

I never said MS wouldn't pay for exclusivity. I'm simply saying that the discussion that leads to this outcome is the result of two parties coming together to try to arrive at a mutually beneficial deal. Not MS driving a convoy of dump trucks full of money to Square Enix headquarters to the point where they can't possibly say no.

Ah, then I misunderstood your initial sentiment. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom