• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Team XBOX have a “plan” to “win” the next generation

Gargus

Banned
If their plan is to have a wide variety of good games, work with 3rd party developers, and provide a good product they wouldn't need a "plan to win". They would just do very well.

Also having a plan to win means they already consider themselves to be in some sort of competition and that they see themselves already in the losing position if they think they need do something to win.

If your plan in the video game market isnt to make good video games then you're doing it wrong. But I'm guessing it will be the same old Microsoft where they sell their product based on everything except good games.

teezzy

Banned
I also have a plan

Like for me, I buy the series x console. Boom. Already have gamepass and get access to all that. Boom. Both my xb1 controllers now also work for local multiplayer so I have 3 controllers for series x. Boom. My xb1, 360, and og xbox games work with series x and I rejoice as I get day one exclusives from that point forward.

It almost feels too good to be true.

Jayjayhd34

They have no chance if they continue to invest in games like crackdown. They need something on quality level of an uncharted last of us horizon spider man the list goes on without that they are screwed. Most people playing games have no understanding of'power' and what a 'tf' is, they want best games and for some strange reason MS have not figured out how to make quality games that sell systems.

Birdo

Banned
The only way they would have any chance of "Winning" (I hate that shit) would be if the PS5 gets delayed and Series X doesn't.

I can't see it happening, but times are crazy right now. So you can't rule out anything.

dano1

A Sheep
I also have a plan

Like for me, I buy the series x console. Boom. Already have gamepass and get access to all that. Boom. Both my xb1 controllers now also work for local multiplayer so I have 3 controllers for series x. Boom. My xb1, 360, and og xbox games work with series x and I rejoice as I get day one exclusives from that point forward.

It almost feels too good to be true.
Well his plan is trying to convert Playstation players not just keep Xbox lifers.
No conversion here yet...

mortal

Gold Member
At least we have seen Gears 5 on XsX, and SoD loading time on XsX. It’s not much but it’s better than nothing.

Id like to think both companies release meaty gameplay trailers or at least teases by mid-June. Some in depth OS tours or official feature breakdowns would be cool too
I hope so. I'm finding most of these tidbits to be useless info, much of it redundant. An encapsulation of the "brb using imagination" meme.
Probably best I just take a break altogether until something substantial gets shown.

martino

giphy.gif

Hostile_18

Banned
Well his plan is trying to convert Playstation players not just keep Xbox lifers.
No conversion here yet...

If it was on hardware alone I'd be jumping onboard. It would be foolish not to wait for the game conferences. Sony has done virtually nothing in the way of marketing yet.

Sony are the hot girl that only texts every so often but when they do you come running. Well unless your on lockdown 😭😭 Microsoft are the type of girl that text you good night and ask how your days been... but lack the true spark... plus your also not use to been treated right so it feels strange.

Akuji

They revealed their plan months ago. They dont compete with sony or nintendo but with amazon and google. I think they will win that fight as well.

... ms really does good lately but i hate this talk talk talk. For 10 years now they praise the everliving shit of whats to come. hopefully finally they deliver but stop talking pr all the fucking time lol.

Mista

Banned
I don't see them selling it for 400 if thats the plan everyone is thinking about

MS might be losing shit left and right this gen but going for $400 won't happen

I believe they'll announce the other console

If by win they mean compete and not get totally blown out then I believe him.

I doubt the XSX can outsell PS5.
The Play Station Brand is like Toyota. You know you can rely on it to get you there.
The Xbox brand is like a Sports car brand. Its exciting but (it's 1st Party) is less reliable and lots of unknowns.
You mean a 90s jag? Fun as hell rans fast but breaks down out of nowhere? I got that feel. The og Xbox felt so exotic back then.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
well they have been doing everything 100% right since the One X launch.

Id say that the Xbox, as a whole, is definitely the better of the two at this point. The only knock is lack of exclusives (thats a big knock) but everything else has been A+.
A very big knock and the only way they could win

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's too strong until they mess up and Xbox does things right, most people don't give much of AF about console brands.
It would have to be a colossal screw up on Sony's end and it doesn't look like that will happen

dano1

A Sheep
It's too strong until they mess up and Xbox does things right, most people don't give much of AF about console brands.

Well I don’t see them messing up. And chances are the PlayStation is going to be cheaper again.
No most people care about better games.

Diddy X

Maybe... if they knew xbox existed. In Some parts of eu/asia thats not a given.

That didn't stop Xbox 360 from tying PS3, as I said no such thing as "Playstation is too big" as some people on forums may think, people will switch to whichever console is better, cheaper, etc. Only on the internet you will find people that fall in love with videogame companies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That didn't stop Xbox 360 from tying PS3, as I said no such thing as "Playstation is too big" as some people on forums may think, people will switch to whichever console is better, cheaper, etc. Only on the internet you will find people that fall in love with videogame companies.
And that's one of the times Sony really screwed up. They also launched a year later at a high price point, but they were still able to come neck and neck with MS.

I wouldn't rule out MS being able to sell nearly the same amount of consoles next gen, but it just seems very, very unlikely.

ZywyPL

Banned
3vhqdt.jpg

And LOL @399, you guys do know crack is illegal, right? Let's do some reality check:
- X1X - 366mm APU, 12GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD - 499
- XBX - 360mm APU, 16GB GDDR6, 1TB SSD - 399???

From the way Spencer speaks, I cannot fight the feeling XBX is really gonna be 499, which would be a no brainer with specs that indicate more like 549-599. And/or they will give 3/6/12 month XBL/GP subscription with each console, to bump the bundle value even further.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
& here I was hoping that the people in charge at Xbox had a different outlook now.

There's no point in trying to "beat" PlayStation. It's not going to happen. They should just do their own thing. There's no reason at all that Xbox can't do that & be successful. Make great hardware & great games to go with it, provide popular services, build a bigger fanbase & count the money as it rolls in.

Fuck this console war bullshit. Even Nintendo came to that realisation.

Mendou

Banned
From the way Spencer speaks, I cannot fight the feeling XBX is really gonna be 499
At $500 it would be a steal, but we need to inevitably prepare ourselves for a $550-600 price tag when the live event in Summer happens.

sircaw

Banned
Proof is in the pudding.

They need to make sure Halo and Fable reboot among others are given all the time they need to shine.

If games need delays then delay them, polish them up. No more of this seven/ eight games out of ten or need a day one patch to fix a multitude of frame rates/problems.

These games need to be 9/9.5 games and have to hit the ground running on all cylinders.

Microsoft have an uphill battle as Sony are the market leaders and have the far better exclusives however if microsoft can somewhat match sony for price and knock out a few amazing exclusives it will make for some very interesting reading.

I doubt things will change a lot but competition and good competition by that, is good in the end for us, the consumer.

Sony sold the PS3 at a loss for a while and managed turn it to profit later down in it's life time. MS can also sell the SX at a loss too.... Have lots of people hooked on their ecosystem and sell lots of software and subscription services. Sell like HOT CAKES! 💰 regained

I'm not going to put on ignore anyone insisting that XSX will be $499 because it's plausible based on history. However, if MSFT comes out at $399 and you guys don't take back what you said, on IGNORE ya go.

There is no way that Microsoft can "win" next gen. XsX is an amazing console but it's for the hardcore fans. I think that it's going to sell just like the Xbox One.

Genx3

There is no way that Microsoft can "win" next gen. XsX is an amazing console but it's for the hardcore fans. I think that it's going to sell just like the Xbox One.

I expect something between XB1 and 360 like numbers but PS5 will still outsell it. XB1 is around 50 million and 360 was around 85 million. Somewhere around 70 million is where I expect it to land. PS5 probably surpasses 100 Million.

Top Bottom