• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer talks about working with Nintendo on Minecraft and overall

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Minecraft is already out on a bunch of non-MS systems so its a special case. He should release Halo and Forza on Switch, maybe then Nintendo will consider Mario on Xbox*

*No, the wont lol

AmuroChan

Gold Member

Not a laughing matter. Nintendo is a publicly traded company. The shareholders (of which I am one) have been wanting Nintendo to go the direction of mobile and 3rd party for a while now. Software is where the money's at. If your hardware is struggling to sell, then you're just leaving money on the table by stranding your software library on a failing platform. It's not rocket science to see that Nintendo would make far more money if their games are released on PS4/X1. It would also save them billions on hardware R&D.

maxcriden

I like this friendliness between competitors. Minecraft is big money for Microsoft, so it will only be furthered by the bank it will make on Switch.

Gleethor

I sincerely doubt you'll see any new, non-Minecraft Microsoft games on Switch. You absolutely won't see any Nintendo games new or old on Xbox. But I do think (and hope) that some sort of arrangement could be made in regards to Rare's legacy titles and maaaaybe Banjo in Smash.

I think having pre-buyout Rare games on Switch VC would be fair. Battletoads, Killer Instict, Blast Corps, Conker, PD, Jet Force Gemini and the N64 Banjos. The original Diddy Kong Racing could also be released since it uses IP from both. MS gets paid, Nintendo makes money off of games they originally paid to develop, everyone wins. I doubt MS would port games that Rare made under them, though.

Such talks could also rekindle discussion about the abandoned Goldeneye remaster Rare was working on, perhaps leading to a release on Switch and XB1.

Let's start with that Goldeneye Remaster collab first Phillip!

I do think it would be cool though to throw each other a bone now and again. It would help pad each others game lineup and diversity quite nicely. Probably never happen though.

Kazooie

Banned
How about just letting Rare make their IPs like Banjo and Conker without Microsoft getting in their way on Xbox? Isn't that the reason why they bought Rare in the first place? To have more Nintendo-esque games on their platforms?
They want to make Sea of Thieves, and that's exactly what they are doing. It's clear they now have licence under Phil to do what they want. Will we see another Banjo-Kazooie? I'd say probably, but not until 2018-2019. If you see Rare's HQ it's like a shrine to Banjo.

Not a laughing matter. Nintendo is a publicly traded company. The shareholders (of which I am one) have been wanting Nintendo to go the direction of mobile and 3rd party for a while now. Software is where the money's at. If your hardware is struggling to sell, then you're just leaving money on the table by stranding your software library on a failing platform. It's not rocket science to see that Nintendo would make far more money if their games are released on PS4/X1. It would also save them billions on hardware R&D.

Reason I said that is that you think that Microsoft & Sony will last longer in the gaming industry while Nintendo won't.

If memory serves, a number of staff who worked at Rare under Nintendo, giving their games that unique feel, have long since moved on. Rare simply isn't the team it once was when it comes to the games they once made.

Sea of Thieves does look pretty cool though.

It's not just a matter of the staff being gone, that's just one (obviously big) part of it, but there's a lot more to it than that.

First of all the industry itself has changed dramatically since Rare's heyday - no company could afford to take Rare's old approach to game development. AAA games with a distinctly British sense of humour, huge delays and a pile of different projects on the go across multiple genres at once? Nobody would take those risks now.

Secondly, the entire philosophy, working environment and structure of Rare has been mismanaged to the point where nothing of its 'soul' remains. From the stories which have come out of Rare over the years I understand the need Microsoft had to try and drag Rare into the 21st century but to say they failed spectacularly in every way possible is an understatement.

As for the question raised by the OP, Banjo in Smash would be a bigger get for Microsoft than it would Nintendo as it's free advertising for minimal investment. Mario in Minecraft sold more copies of Minecraft for Microsoft, for minimal investment. Rare's back catalog on Nintendo would benefit Nintendo more than Microsoft, which is why it won't happen. Nintendo'a games on Microsoft's consoles would be a huge get for them.

I'd love to see gaming's version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? A collaborative title between Nintendo/Sony/MS/3rd parties sharing IPs and appearing in all three systems plus PC. They could share costs and profits.

That would never happen in a million years, but man, wouldn't it be great to see what they come up with?

I'd love to see gaming's version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? A collaborative title between Nintendo/Sony/MS/3rd parties sharing IPs and appearing in all three systems plus PC. They could share costs and profits.

That would never happen in a million years, but man, wouldn't it be great to see what they come up with?

I'd say that chucking Nintendo's colourful, fun mascots in a game with Microsoft and Sony's more famous characters would be pretty jarring in terms of tone but you compared it to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, a film where cute cartoon characters are dissolved in acid and die screaming, so not only is that entirely comparable to what you described but also I need to see this happen now.

Nanashrew

Banned

That's not really sage advice as you're also asking Nintendo to downsize as a company. No one wants to see a company downsize and reduce their output. There is no way they could keep making the things they do after losing their own platform as history has told us. Even if Nintendo is seen as "different" than the norm, I do not see the outcome being any different than history.

Outside of transitional periods, they publish anywhere between 20-30 games a year. That's including their own developed titles and 3rd party exclusives. That wouldn't be possible with a downsized Nintendo just like it's not possible for many other 3rd party companies. They'll be firing on all cylinders for Switch without any redundant titles and focused on their own single platform and benefitting from getting 100% of the money back. I think it was said somewhere that BoTW only needs about 2 million to break even, that's their good budgeting, taking their time, and being able to get 100% of the profit back. That's a benefit of being first party.

People want Nintendo to stay in business and to get better. No one wants to see them downsize, just like no one wants to see Sony downsize or Microsoft downsize.

EDIT:

I'd say shareholders telling Nintendo to just quit isn't helping them at all. Telling them to expand, seek out new partnerships, find more ways to bring in business to their platform. Being more proactive. Mobile is one way, and I'm okay with that, but forming new partnerships with 3rd parties and building bridges is something I want to see too. Them getting into amusement parks is good, and wanting to do movies and cartoons is good, they should have been doing this forever ago.

I don't have a much of a voice to reach the company as I'm not a shareholder, I'm some guy on NeoGAF, but I think shareholders should be doing more than just telling them to put their games on other platforms and such.

One of them should just buy the other.

That way you'd get all of Nintendo's first party games, plus Halo, Gears, Forza and Rare, all on an online infrastructure that's worth a shit.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

That way you'd get all of Nintendo's first party games, plus Halo, Gears, Forza and Rare, all on an online infrastructure that's worth a shit.

Microsoft has repeatedly tried to buy Nintendo for years.

I've been told as recently as the last couple of years.

Ok Nintendo, you had one of the biggest current IPs on one of your console, thanks to MS. Now, greenlight that goldeneye remake.
Also, put Samus on KI please

One of them is worth over 400 billion dollars, while the other one is worth less than 20 billion.

Only one of them has a chance of buying the other one out.

Ninja Dom

That's an extremely short-sighted view. Maybe it's the view of someone who wants to make quick money off Nintendo stock.

Everyone in the industry has a soft spot for Nintendo. They're the most important and influential company in the history of gaming. Even today I'd consider them the best developer in the world.

Hilarion

A Nintendo Rare Replay that removed Grabbed By the Ghoulies, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, Jetpac Refueled, and Nuts and Bolts and replaced them with the DKC trilogy, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox Adventures, and maybe the GBA Banjo game, Banjo Pilot, and Diddy Kong Racing (probably the inferior DS version, but whatever) would be a great package. I doubt it'd happen, but honestly I wouldn't 100% rule it out.

brawly

If the Switch fails and forces Nintendo out of the hardware market, you know Phil will the first one to pick up the phone to call Nintendo to try to make a deal.

They would go to Sony before getting in bed with MS. Honor and shame and all that...

Seriously though, they'll never get in bed with MS. Their games and Xbox hardware are the ultimate bomba combo.

MCN

Banned
You know how we've had Rare games on Nintendo handhelds in the past, up to Diddy Kong Racing on DS?

Maybe Microsoft will view Switch as a handheld, rather than a direct competitor, and allow Rare to release games, or even ports of older games on it.

emb

Phil's made no secret about wanting Mario on XB and even Banjo in Smash before, but I'm left wondering that if he's so eager to work with Nintendo, wants Banjo in Smash, and fully knows about their younger demographic and whatnot, why not allow Rare's legacy on their systems?

You may say "well they're a competitor", and you are right, but he says right there he's fine with Banjo in Smash
Banjo in Smash is pretty different from allowing them to sell one of their games. Bringing over the Rare catalog could just as well result in lost sales to a competitor. Putting Banjo in Smash though, that's not something they could be doing on Xbox. It's not a lost sale. That's just a really sweet advertisement. I guess you could argue that it is a drop in the bucket toward making Wii U more appealing vs XB1, but I'm sure MS is so far from being worried about that. I always kinda wondered who pays who for guest characters in Smash. It makes Nintendo's game more appealing, but also makes those characters and brands more visible to potential new fans.

I don't really get what was up with Minecraft, but I guess it's just that they thought it might sell enough to be worthwhile. I'm glad the companies seem to be at least a little capable of working together, but I hope it doesn't lead much further than that.

Deadbeat

Banned
If the Switch fails and forces Nintendo out of the hardware market, you know Phil will the first one to pick up the phone to call Nintendo to try to make a deal.
If that means we will finally get a proper metroid then I hope the switch fails hard and swiftly.

Richie

A Nintendo Rare Replay that removed Grabbed By the Ghoulies, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, Jetpac Refueled, and Nuts and Bolts and replaced them with the DKC trilogy, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox Adventures, and maybe the GBA Banjo game, Banjo Pilot, and Diddy Kong Racing (probably the inferior DS version, but whatever) would be a great package. I doubt it'd happen, but honestly I wouldn't 100% rule it out.

Nah, if this miracle ever happened at that point they'd go with the original for sure. Fans recall that more fondly (same reason why they went with OG Conker and not the Xbox remake), plus, for practical purposes, it wouldn't be worth it to stick a DS emulator in there just for one game when the N64 version would be better received -and- other games from that console would be supported already.

Norse

Maybe ms is kind of worried that Apple might make a move to buy Nintendo. Apple beefs up appletv to challenge for people's living rooms.

Nintendo should just release their classics like Capcom, Sega, Atari, and others have on xblive. They would make bank!

PSGames

Once you start talking about allowing RARE games on a Nintendo platform you might as well just go full 3rd party to begin with and address the largest market (PlayStation).

oti

Banned
Maybe ms is kind of worried that Apple might make a move to buy Nintendo. Apple beefs up appletv to challenge for people's living rooms.

Nintendo should just release their classics like Capcom, Sega, Atari, and others have on xblive. They would make bank!

Capcom, Sega, Atari and others don't have their own platform to sell their old games on. Mobile is another story but Xbox and PlayStation? I'm not seeing it.

wrowa

If there's ever a Mini N64 it'd be a tragedy if it didn't include any Rare games. I can't see Nintendo working together with Microsoft to make that happen, though.

Kintaco

Why do people keep mentioning Goldeneye? It's not only up to a Microsoft and Nintendo partnership, whoever owns the 007 license would also have to be involved in the deal.

Hermii

If there's ever a Mini N64 it'd be a tragedy if it didn't include any Rare games. I can't see Nintendo working together with Microsoft to make that happen, though.

I feel that nes games and snes games are way more timeless than n64 games. 3d games have been done so much better post n64, while the same isn't as true for 2d games.

Top Bottom