• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer visited Kojima Production

mansoor1980

this guy is out of control

F67uCvkb0AA9BES

F67i6JnawAAmF1Z

85eb9be9db8ab87f9b1674ece731a6de_w200.gif

Last edited:

poodaddy

Is this about the project he's supposed to be working on for them? Haven't heard anything about it really, wouldn't mind some details.

Man Phil looks like he just did some shrooms in the back and Hideo is waiting for him to come down.

Embearded

They are working on a game with cloud mechanics for them.
I doubt Kojima would sell the studio to MS as he wasn't interested to get financing from Sony either.

He took a loan for the studio and financing only for Death Stranding from Sony.

Chukhopops

They are working on a game with cloud mechanics for them.
I doubt Kojima would sell the studio to MS as he wasn't interested to get financing from Sony either.

He took a loan for the studio and financing only for Death Stranding from Sony.
Kojima made his own studio because he wanted no oversight from Konami, he’ll never sell to anyone any time soon.

Tomeru

fJAb1PS.jpg

Looks good on him.
Gotta wonder if he actually thinks its a good game, or if he is so out of touch with reality that he just smiles at every game while KNOWING that only he games matter (from his perspective).

StueyDuck

so i always thought the assumption was that MS just picked up the Stadia game, but then it like it seems like nothing has even really started until recently with development of their game.

and Kojima mentioned something about using the cloud in the partnership did he not or did i dream that?

that's the problems with fatty jezzys and the speshal nickys, they spout so much fake BS that isn't true that years later you can't remember what was actually truth all along?

I just hope whatever it ends up being, the rumors of it being a horror game were true.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Shame that it is all marketing. I think that Kojima does have a contrat with them? A game experiment that nobody else wanted to do? Hope that we will have something to see about it one day.

Why is it a shame?

It's a fairly baffling thing to point out, tbh. I'm not sure anyone thought they were just hanging out and not primarily there for business. They're all wearing matching Xbox/Kojima Hoodies for a start, this is obviously PR and that's no bad thing - they've got a product coming, no need to get upset if they promote it.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Why is it a shame?

It's a fairly baffling thing to point out, tbh. I'm not sure anyone thought they were just hanging out and not primarily there for business. They're all wearing matching Xbox/Kojima Hoodies for a start, this is obviously PR and that's no bad thing - they've got a product coming, no need to get upset if they promote it.
I am an introvert, so I feel for people that are put on a public space if they can avoid it. It is one thing to go and say hello, and another to take someone out a whole day as a PR operation. Can you imagine? Having to go play best friend a whole day with a bunch of people,be with them when they play tourist, just because those people are funding your game? Of course PR is good and needed. I regret that they feel the need to parade him around, when he should be working.
Of course I may have taken the wrong opinion from the few photos taken of the event.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I am an introvert, so I feel for people that are put on a public space if they can avoid it. It is one thing to go and say hello, and another to take someone out a whole day as a PR operation. Can you imagine? Having to go play best friend a whole day with a bunch of people,be with them when they play tourist, just because those people are funding your game? Of course PR is good and needed. I regret that they feel the need to parade him around, when he should be working.
Of course I may have taken the wrong opinion from the few photos taken of the event.

I think that's part of the job, being an executive at that level. Kojima's cache is enhanced significantly by being a public figure, and really that's how many of the products we buy are marketed, it's all just part of the deal. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if contracts signed with major development figures include details about the PR that they're going to take part in and being available to promote a product.

If you look at tv chat shows, the actors that appear to talk about their latest film aren't there because they want to be in a city miles from where they live playing games with Jimmy Fallon after 20 radio, tv and youtube channel spots. It's effectively the job, the acting part isn't really what brings in the money. That might be hard to understand for some people, but Chris Pratt starring in your film but unprepared to do press for it, isn't worth however many million dollars. A movie studio would be better off hiring a less well known actor who was prepared to do the press interviews.

And really, if Kojima didn't want to do the press and PR, he could probably have negotiated a different deal, or even just worked on smaller scale productions in obscurity, or even under an anonymous name. FWIW, I also think it's unlikely that they spent the day together. These photos all look like they come from within 10 minutes of each other. I imagine clearing the schedule for 3 of Xbox's biggest Execs and Kojima's for an 8 hour window for PR isn't likely to be possible or worthwhile for any of them.

So, probably no need to worry about them.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I think that's part of the job, being an executive at that level. Kojima's cache is enhanced significantly by being a public figure, and really that's how many of the products we buy are marketed, it's all just part of the deal. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if contracts signed with major development figures include details about the PR that they're going to take part in and being available to promote a product.

If you look at tv chat shows, the actors that appear to talk about their latest film aren't there because they want to be in a city miles from where they live playing games with Jimmy Fallon after 20 radio, tv and youtube channel spots. It's effectively the job, the acting part isn't really what brings in the money. That might be hard to understand for some people, but Chris Pratt starring in your film but unprepared to do press for it, isn't worth however many million dollars. A movie studio would be better off hiring a less well known actor who was prepared to do the press interviews.

And really, if Kojima didn't want to do the press and PR, he could probably have negotiated a different deal, or even just worked on smaller scale productions in obscurity, or even under an anonymous name. FWIW, I also think it's unlikely that they spent the day together. These photos all look like they come from within 10 minutes of each other. I imagine clearing the schedule for 3 of Xbox's biggest Execs and Kojima's for an 8 hour window for PR isn't likely to be possible or worthwhile for any of them.

So, probably no need to worry about them.
Thanks for the long answer. I agree for actors. It is part of the job. And Kojima's is at a level where he is the face of his company, and must do some PR sometimes. I do hope that you are right about the details. Still, at this point there is a difference between PR for a game and PR for the Xbox team executives, if you see what I mean. But this is what Phil want to do,so I hope that it work out for him.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Thanks for the long answer. I agree for actors. It is part of the job. And Kojima's is at a level where he is the face of his company, and must do some PR sometimes. I do hope that you are right about the details. Still, at this point there is a difference between PR for a game and PR for the Xbox team executives, if you see what I mean. But this is what Phil want to do,so I hope that it work out for him.

Nah, I think you might be looking at it wrong. They can't show anything of the game or talk details about it at this point, but both parties benefit from it being spoken about. Both Xbox and Kojima want the game to be anticipated and to be a success once it's launched. It's in everyone's interest to remind people that a game is coming. Given that the Xbox team are in Japan for TGS, it makes sense to do a few photos.

As for who's getting the PR out of this, Kojima is one of the world's most famous game developers, he's followed by 3.5m people on twitter. That hasn't happened accidentally. He's not doing PR sometimes, he's working at maintaining and building that following. I think he knows how to play the PR game very well, and whatever your opinion of Xbox and their executive team, it's a bit of a statement that their biggest executives went to visit him. It'd be borderline rude for Xbox to be in the area and not send someone to visit Kojima Productions, given that most of the time they are separated by a great distance. So in that sense, having that visit be them sending 3 of the most important people in their organisation to meet with Kojima and his team could actually be interpreted as a sign of respect.

Essentially neither party would be in business with the other if they didn't want to be, and all involved know the power of press and PR.

Top Bottom