• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer visited Kojima Production

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
fJAb1PS.jpg

Looks good on him.

Hopefully the game will be something special, we need fresh ideas and more risk. Pleased Xbox and Phil have the vision.
The vision

april fools prank GIF

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Nah, I think you might be looking at it wrong. They can't show anything of the game or talk details about it at this point, but both parties benefit from it being spoken about. Both Xbox and Kojima want the game to be anticipated and to be a success once it's launched. It's in everyone's interest to remind people that a game is coming. Given that the Xbox team are in Japan for TGS, it makes sense to do a few photos.

As for who's getting the PR out of this, Kojima is one of the world's most famous game developers, he's followed by 3.5m people on twitter. That hasn't happened accidentally. He's not doing PR sometimes, he's working at maintaining and building that following. I think he knows how to play the PR game very well, and whatever your opinion of Xbox and their executive team, it's a bit of a statement that their biggest executives went to visit him. It'd be borderline rude for Xbox to be in the area and not send someone to visit Kojima Productions, given that most of the time they are separated by a great distance. So in that sense, having that visit be them sending 3 of the most important people in their organisation to meet with Kojima and his team could actually be interpreted as a sign of respect.

Essentially neither party would be in business with the other if they didn't want to be, and all involved know the power of press and PR.
You made some good points. I think that just having a Twitter is putting Kojima as one of the most PR oriented japanese creators, but you have said a few things that I have not taken attention to before. Thanks again. As this thread is just about a few tweets, I may have talked before thinking.

Everyone talking about some new cloud game yet nobody picking up on their hoodies that are MS green DS logo with xbox on the other side. If anything this to me looks more like they will port DS on xbox and maybe a sequel as well.

Nah, I think you might be looking at it wrong. They can't show anything of the game or talk details about it at this point, but both parties benefit from it being spoken about. Both Xbox and Kojima want the game to be anticipated and to be a success once it's launched. It's in everyone's interest to remind people that a game is coming. Given that the Xbox team are in Japan for TGS, it makes sense to do a few photos.

As for who's getting the PR out of this, Kojima is one of the world's most famous game developers, he's followed by 3.5m people on twitter. That hasn't happened accidentally. He's not doing PR sometimes, he's working at maintaining and building that following. I think he knows how to play the PR game very well, and whatever your opinion of Xbox and their executive team, it's a bit of a statement that their biggest executives went to visit him. It'd be borderline rude for Xbox to be in the area and not send someone to visit Kojima Productions, given that most of the time they are separated by a great distance. So in that sense, having that visit be them sending 3 of the most important people in their organisation to meet with Kojima and his team could actually be interpreted as a sign of respect.

Essentially neither party would be in business with the other if they didn't want to be, and all involved know the power of press and PR.

Right, 3 people worth 10 times Kojima with a brand 100 times bigger than his studios, came to pay "respect" to a developer. Some of you really have some god complex with Kojima. Nobody sends their 3 head honchos at the same time to just visit for fun lol.

Sorcerer

Phil is going to buy Konami, give to Kojima and call it Kojinami. Xbox needs to expand into slot machines (in the cloud).

Last edited:

midnightAI

Everyone talking about some new cloud game yet nobody picking up on their hoodies that are MS green DS logo with xbox on the other side. If anything this to me looks more like they will port DS on xbox and maybe a sequel as well.
The DS logo? that's the Kojima Productions logo, nothing to do with DS

Death Stranding is made using Decima, now I could be wrong, but I doubt their cloud game is made using Decima. Even though PlayStation allowed Kojima to use it there 'probably' is some kind of terms that say they can't use it on a competing platform especially if that game is exclusive (again, I could be wrong about that but that would make sense)

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Right, 3 people worth 10 times Kojima with a brand 100 times bigger than his studios, came to pay "respect" to a developer. Some of you really have some god complex with Kojima. Nobody sends their 3 head honchos at the same time to just visit for fun lol.

I don't have a particularly strong affinity to Kojima, but the fact remains if they didn't think it was worth doing, they wouldn't send 3 of their biggest execs to meet with him ...Which seems to be the point you make at the end, the same point I made earlier in the thread.

I read it as: "P.Diddy visited Kojima Production"....

XQb2U4cRwBYGlcMk-750x400.jpg

Wow so much bitterness and negativity in this thread. Nothing but a ton of
bergbau_KS_salt_mine.jpg

TBH got nothing against Kojima in this; I'm just tired of seeing Mascot Spencer's face plastered everywhere in the news or always getting mentioned in the media like he's some rock star. There's nothing remarkable about him over other people in the industry with much better successes and contributions to their name, who rarely ever get any attention.

The guy's in love with himself like Patrick Bateman.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Do they not know how to dress like adults?
I see someone in Onitsuka Tiger 66s in a unique color they get my vote of being well dressed immediately.

Ive never even thought of ordering directly from Onitsuka Tiger, ive been burned too many times buying clothes/shoes online so i almost always do physical, so the only colors ive seen are the regular ones.
I already own the classic red, white and blue 66s, so in theory the fit should be fine.
Damn, early christmas gift to myself a pair of the white slip ons or get the white with silver stripes...........or get both and be really broke?

Fuck me theres white with rose gold.
1183A962_100_SR_FR_GLB

Shieeeeeettt......the Deluxe is like 400 dollars.
Ohh man, i think that CPU upgrade is gonna be next year after all.
1181A119_100_SR_FR_GLB

Well, they visited him for business reasons that much is for sure. But trying to compare an entire console platform brand to an individual game developer's is absurd just to make a point.
Even then, just among individuals I respect Hideo Kojima a hell of a lot more than Phil Spencer or definitely Aaron Greenberg. Kojima's actually imparted creative works of inspiration onto gaming that've helped progress aspects of game design plus remain artistic cornerstones years and years later.

Phil Spencer is just a suit with a big microphone who's like the lead from a reality TV show. Aaron Greenberg is a fanboy disguised as a hype-man.

That's not the DS logo; it's the logo for Kojima Productions, the studio.

How about they just commission a new Ninja Gaiden game?

You mean moneyhat?

Last edited:
Phil is looking more and more like Dean Norris as the years go by lol.

How about they just commission a new Ninja Gaiden game?
They would need Koei/Tecmo/Team Ninja to agree to it being an exclusive. Also, why would Kojima work on something like that?

Last edited:
If the game is not going to be developed at all, and they fund it so it gets made, I don't consider that a moneyhat, no matter who funds it.

Ninja Gaiden is one of Koei-Tecmo's most storied IPs, and still has a lot of cache with a subset of enthusiasts gamers. I don't think they'd refuse to do a new game in the series of their own volition.

I do agree with your general definition of difference between a commission vs. a moneyhat. I'd say even helping fund a game that maybe would've been made, but taken much longer to be made or with less polish, is a form of commission more than it is a moneyhat.

Just brought it up because I still remember people saying stuff like SFV, or even FF VII Remake, are moneyhats. When it's pretty evident Sony heavily supported the development of both games, which ultimately benefited the games (aside from SFV's bad launch, but that was on Capcom for things like having only one person program the netcode, and not prioritizing enough SP content).

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Phil Spencer Shares Update on Kojima Productions Xbox Exclusive Game​

Spencer's update on Kojima Productions' ongoing development effort underlines Microsoft's hands-off approach to both third-party collaborations and first-party studio management. Since starting its massive content push following the 2017 launch of Xbox Game Pass, the company only intervened in development in order to dictate target platforms or postpone releases. Bethesda can attest to both of those practices, as Spencer himself confirmed while explaining the decision to delay Starfield and pull it from PlayStation.

As for the project at hand, one industry insider previously reported that Kojima Productions' Xbox exclusive is a horror experience called Overdose. The Nice Guys star Margaret Qualley is also said to be part of the game's cast, as per the same source.

Top Bottom