• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: We shouldn't have "sugar-coated" the Xbox One controversy

genjiZERO

Er... So they would have been honest that they did everything out of maximizing profits, wrestling control from consumers, and forcing the industry in a specific direction? JenniferLawrenceOK.gif

slit

Even if they didn't sugar-coat it would that have really changed anything? The backlash would have been the same. If he would have said the whole thing was a mistake and a misread of the market, that would have made more sense.

I don't get what it is. They're both corporations out for their own best interests. But Sony's team come across as humble, down to earth, relatable. Whereas Microsoft's team gives off this smug, slimy, cutthroat business man vibe that is just abhorrent to the everyday consumer. They seriously need some lessons in PR.

MS can't dwell in the past even if some gamers do. Just keep improving the Xbox One and keep releasing good games and everything will take care of itself.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Er... So they would have been honest that they did everything out of maximizing profits, wrestling control from consumers, and forcing the industry in a specific direction? JenniferLawrenceOK.gif

You know, in the very earliest of XB1 interviews, Phil Harrison was very 'matter of fact' about policy and what was happening.

That brewed up a sh-tstorm. He was then kind of shut up, MS kind of repudiated his comments, and we saw silence up to E3, when it became clear all of their policies were still intact, but now layered in spin.

And funnily, Medhi was actually just being honest about MS viewed the situation.

Yet again the insinuation is that potential customers were 'confused' by their vision and just didn't fully understand what was being presented to them.

We understood perfectly, but then of course Microsoft knows that. It would do them so much good to just drop the PR one goddamned time and say 'yeah, what we offered was clearly horribly unpopular, our bad, won't happen again'. That's all they'd have to say to get a lot of people back onboard.

They'd rather just call people stupid instead though.

I'll give them some credit. They talked alot and made some high quality mistakes but it's good to see them recognize it in full. They get it. Moving forward, they do two things. Don't talk about anything until they are ready, and when they do, make sure everyone is on the same page. I like when things are more "real" not, as he said "sugar coated".

Probably should start being honest about resolution too instead of pushing - ''everything is 1080p on Xbox One due to the upscaler'' bullshit they keep peddling.

Too bad Phil wasnt the voice from the jump. Now he has to clean up the mess that Mattrick left him.

Admitting mistakes is far from pointless....

This.

Mattrick really screwed the X1, from its initial launch reveal, to the insistence on Kinect, to the always online. I understand that it wasn't all his decision and Phil and others where in the room when those decisions were made/discussed, but its funny that things on the X1 side got immensely better once Matrick got the boot. Mattrick left Phil and MS with a big mess that the X1 has yet to recover from.

People who think Mattrick's ousting would be the end of arrogant MS are wrong. Phil Spencer is a good guy, but he's the vice president of their game studios. Yusuf 'tv tv tv' Mehdi, Penello and now Elop are behind the wheel at Xbox.

McHuj

I'll never forgot the Mattrick comment "we have a product for those consumers, it's the xbox 360" referring to those who don't want to be always-online. That to me was the epitome of their arrogance and did more to turn me off the xbox than any other comment (outside of the policies ofcourse)

Oppo

And with that, Phil Spencer retired, realizing that the answers to all questions asked of him now could be answered by a sign that said "A: Money." posted to his office door.

FeiRR

Banned
I don't get what it is. They're both corporations out for their own best interests. But Sony's team come across as humble, down to earth, relatable. Whereas Microsoft's team gives off this smug, slimy, cutthroat business man vibe that is just abhorrent to the everyday consumer. They seriously need some lessons in PR.
Corporate selection. You don't get to see good people because they never make it to the top in structures like Microsoft. It's like politics: honest, good people can't be successful.

The 24 hour check-in and used games thing absolutely killed it for me. Even though they took it back, it was too late. I had already lost faith.

I'll never forgot the Mattrick comment "we have a product for those consumers, it's the xbox 360" referring to those who don't want to be always-online. That to me was the epitome of their arrogance and did more to turn me off the xbox than any other comment (outside of the policies ofcourse)

And this^^^ was just disrespectful.

tumblr_md6g6yccYp1qzyfvyo1_r1_500.gif

Azih

Is Paul Spencer treating this job like a first year PR course at a community college? Of course you don't try to spin and obfuscate on a damn core feature of your product that is being obsessively analyzed by millions and will be released within a year. God.

I kinda get the impression that he's taking the fall for the last days of Mattrick instead. What a goon that guy was.

No shit Spencer. You're shitty messaging was pretty clear but maybe you shouldn't have dodged every question and canceled meetings after E3. Everything MS did last year completely put me off buying and Xbone

TyrantII

http://www.totalxbox.com/73174/we-s...the-xbox-one-controversy-admits-phil-spencer/

Damn right.

Beta-test my family sharing in the future if old.

Via shinobi602. He'll be forever making threads in our hearts.

Problem was that was 100% by design. Sugar coating is just another way to say spin, and spin is to provide cover for something that will not sit well with your audience / consumer / what have you.

What needs to be directly addressed are acknowledgments of the negatives, and non-spin examples of where value is being added. Only then can a consumer make a cost benefit choice on what's being offered.

Its not hard to see why they went that route instead. About 90% of the value was to be delivered to MS and publishers by capturing and monetizing consumer surplus and value that for every generation past was on our side. Its was a rotten deal for gamers, and even if they couldn't articulate why, they understood that.

graywolf323

Too bad Phil wasnt the voice from the jump. Now he has to clean up the mess that Mattrick left him.

Admitting mistakes is far from pointless....

why do people act like Spencer was somehow an innocent bystander to all the problems the Xbox One has had?

It does at least seem as though now Mattrick is gone the Xbone will be headed in the right direction for 'gamers' going forward. Less focus on Kinect, a potential kinectless SKU down the line at a cheaper price, focus on getting indie developers back in the mix, and a focus back on the games themselves rather than TV.

tengiants

What's wrong with the Yusuf quote? That's a view into how Microsoft operates: reactively to data points. It's rare to see that kind of honesty in the industry.

cakely

Phil, believe me, the reaction from the press and all those consumers was the result of the way you delivered the message. Of course it had nothing to do with the content of the message. Nope.

CoG

why do people act like Spencer was somehow an innocent bystander to all the problems the Xbox One has had?

I know. Just because he wears gamer shirts under his blazers does not make him a good guy. He's the one writing the checks to lock down exclusivity of titles and DLC rather than actually trying to innovate with new IP. He's as bad as the rest of them.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I can't believe they are just (or at least one of them) realizing that!
I think a lot of peeps dont really understand what he's saying,
By "dont try to sugar coat something" he's saying be direct about whats controversial versus masking it with something else. A good example is going "TV TV TV, Skype, NFL!!1" and not mentioning DRM/24 hour checks or how Sony masked MP being behind PS+ at E3 with a nice powerpoint slide.
I dont think many are acting this way. What I think some are saying is that he should have been the mouth as he is now in place of peeps like Mattrick, Yusef, and Phil Harrison.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Atleast Phil Spencer gets it.

Major Nelson was leading the charge with all the sugarcoating. I still remember his "It's the future, do you wanna live in the future or stay in the past? The future is awesome!" spiel regarding the DRM.

I know. Just because he wears gamer shirts under his blazers does not make him a good guy. He's the one writing the checks to lock down exclusivity of titles and DLC rather than actually trying to innovate with new IP. He's as bad as the rest of them.

He's been very active in social media responding honestly to questions asked by just about anyone, so I think he seems to be going out of his way to communicate with gamers. He also put together a great launch/launch window lineup with not much downtime from month to month. That's why people like him. Hopefully the trend continues and more good stuff shows up at E3.

TyrantII

I'd like to think that consumers understand reasonable arguments about these things when put in the context of rising game development costs.

I think that's been debunked over and over, and just more spin because its easy pickings for bad CEOs to point to a boogyman for their poor choices than talk about their fucking up. Steam sales and sales data proves it. Killing used games or piracy with DRM is to server a very few interests, mainly very large publishers and MS. NOT the health of the market and not to help developers or their costs.

Used games, economically speaking, grow the market and interest in gaming. That might not be good for every specific publisher, but its good for the industry and good for consumers. Piracy likewise is not a major problem, and mostly fueled by incorrect or sticky prices. Its also a very ingenious way to hook young people into a hobby that they'll spend disposable income on when they finally grow up.

We should remember it's all Don Mattrick's fault.

Except that isn't true. You can't throw the blame on one person and use him as a scapegoat. There were a lot of people on board with the idea of xbox one chief among them that idiot Steve Balmer and many people even within the xbox division.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I think a lot of peeps dont really understand what he's saying,
By "dont try to sugar coat something" he's saying be direct about whats controversial versus masking it with something else. A good example is going "TV TV TV, Skype, NFL!!1" and not mentioning DRM/24 hour checks or how Sony masked MP being behind PS+ at E3 with a nice powerpoint slide.

Now what does that have anything to do with what's being discussed? Lol you guys slay me man.

nynt9

when you're going to say something to a consumer that might put them off, it's better to just be direct and honest, rather than trying to sugar-coat something that might be controversial.

How about not doing stuff that is obviously not in the best interests of the consumer to begin with? You can sugarcoat your shit decisions with PR and then apologize for sugar coating, but not making shit decisions is better.

Sony masked MP being behind PS+ at E3 with a nice powerpoint slide.

Sony Too!™

image.php

ypo

So is he making penello come here and apologize? That would be step number 1. Haha oh who am I kidding. Penello am cry.

andycapps

Seems like they're still towing the line that the problem was their messaging instead of the shitty policies they were trying to introduce. Newflash to them, we don't care how you tell us you're fucking us in the ass.

Top Bottom