• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: We're upping our investment with first party and committed to innovate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rare quote could very well be a misuse of words. He might have meant "upcoming". Phil Spencer is a militarily trained PR speaker, I doubt he would let an info like that slip.

From the interview, while talking about the Scorpio name and price:

"I was up at rare and I told them at the beginning, ask me anything because our team relationships are great we are so open and transparent like They'll ask me about unannounced things, because I'm seeing their game that's obviously unannounced, so it's a trust relationship"

I really disagree, I believe it has nothing to do with sea of thieves. But that's my opinion!

spannicus

I mean, we've been hearing the same exact song and dance since he took over and nothings changed

I played a few decent xbox exclusive games. Not as much as PS4 but im holding my eggs close until E3 is over. I see no need for panic or doom and gloom and in all honesty ive got too many games to play, so much ill probably never finish them all. Save your eggs for E3
Take what he said how you will but there is truth in it. Destiny 2 will have longer legs than any first party game released between now and next 2 years. I have no doubts that Microsoft wont be releasing any single player story driven games.

Salty Hippo

From the interview, while talking about the Scorpio name and price:

"I was up at rare and I told them at the beginning, ask me anything because our team relationships are great we are so open and transparent like They'll ask me about unannounced things, because I'm seeing their game that's obviously unannounced, so it's a trust relationship"

I really disagree, I believe it has nothing to do with sea of thieves. But that's my opinion!

Well, you could be right. But it is weird how he showed no restrain in saying that. It's very much rumored that Rare has been prototyping shit, but it's far from official. Maybe he was talking about that and his visit was in part for a pitch meeting for one of the prototypes. Still super weird.

Hawk269

The over reaction by some posters is pretty sad, especially those that in the same breath say they have no interest in MS/Xbox or that a PS4/PC is good enough for them...which is great, but why the fuck come into to a MS thread to state that? I don't get it...if you have ZERO interest in the platform, why would you take the time to post in a thread about the platform? The number of naysayers that have zero interest posting in this thread and the many other MS threads is pathetic.

It is one thing if you have interest in the platform and are providing some opinions and/or input to the discussion, but seriously...why post in a thread for a platform that you have zero interest in?

Hexer06

Lot of overreaction in here. Smh

That's okay. Let E3 come and then they drop some awesome looking games and ppl will have to find something else to come up with. Or they somehow bomb E3 (which I don't see happening) and ppl can keep the hate train going. Doesn't bother me either way. I know Xbox has great games and will keep them coming. Just like Sony and Nintendo will do. :D

Shinobi is a light weight, and no disrespect is hardly right in my experience. Kamiya had psychological problems right ? Needed time off from Scalebound right ?

Well, I guess your experience is some alternate reality then. Because Shinobi is one of the most reliable insiders and I've actually never seen him be wrong. Sorry.

spannicus

The over reaction by some posters is pretty sad, especially those that in the same breath say they have no interest in MS/Xbox or that a PS4/PC is good enough for them...which is great, but why the fuck come into to a MS thread to state that? I don't get it...if you have ZERO interest in the platform, why would you take the time to post in a thread about the platform? The number of naysayers that have zero interest posting in this thread and the many other MS threads is pathetic.

It is one thing if you have interest in the platform and are providing some opinions and/or input to the discussion, but seriously...why post in a thread for a platform that you have zero interest in?

Most just love to add to the chaos to keep the fire burning even if the fire is an imaginary one.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Shinobi is a light weight, and no disrespect is hardly right in my experience. Kamiya had psychological problems right ? Needed time off from Scalebound right ?

Got sources proving otherwise?

He was actually asked directly by Ryan and the guys at Unlocked, from 33.12 onwards

"Is it fair to say you are investing in new first party studios and projects"

Phil responds with "Absolutely "

https://youtu.be/T8uBk0FmL5Q

So, if they can't at least tease a bit of this at E3, considering how little they have announced and how quiet they have been the last 18 months, just what exactly is going on there? I honestly have never known a first party like this for a long time.

he has already created a sense of feeling distrustful and underwhelmed with some people, myself included to be honest, the thing is I want to be wrong or at least change my mind. As a fan I'm tired of ragging on these guys at MS.

Hawk269

Most just love to add to the chaos to keep the fire burning even if the fire is an imaginary one.

True...very true.

Scorpio could print money instead of giving you achievements and people here (you know who you are) would find something to bitch about or help flame a fire where there is no spark.

He was actually asked directly by Ryan and the guys at Unlocked, from 33.12 onwards

"Is it fair to say you are investing in new first party studios and projects"

Phil responds with "Absolutely "

https://youtu.be/T8uBk0FmL5Q

So, if they can't at least tease a bit of this at E3, considering how little they have announced and how quiet they have been the last 18 months, just what exactly is going on there? I honestly have never known a first party like this for a long time.

he has already created a sense of feeling distrustful and underwhelmed with some people, myself included to be honest, the thing is I want to be wrong or at least change my mind. As a fan I'm tired of ragging on these guys at MS.
Phil also said they don't want to announce stuff early though.

I am positive this has been brought up but the point is to diversify your platform with high quality games not only to attract new customers but to grow the industry and thus a user base with compelling content.

sam12

I am positive this has been brought up but the point is to diversify your platform with high quality games not only to attract new customers but to grow the industry and thus a user base with compelling content.

Yes but somebody doesn't get the point, he just talks a lot because his hands are tied and it's good for the Xbox gamer

Phil also said they don't want to announce stuff early though.

Yes but surely he is aware their first party output is under scrutiny and how would even a single tease do so much harm? They are not the first platform to cancel games that have already been announced, it's like there is always some excuse for them.

It also begs the question just what the hell is going on there or what has gone on there at Microsoft. they are not the new guys to the industry anymore, if you look at it, they haven't been in the industry that much longer than Sony!

How many times has he said this and we always get gears halo forza i would love to be proven wrong thank god crackdown 3 is looking like a launch title for scorpio be the only reason i bite day one

How many times has he said this and we always get gears halo forza i would love to be proven wrong thank god crackdown 3 is looking like a launch title for scorpio be the only reason i bite day one

Xbox got something not halo forza gears every year but for some reason some people just ignore it and repeat the same thought they're thinking to Xbox, which is way more boring and lack of diversity than halo forza gears.
And it's not like they would actually buy it anyway.

I have a feeling we wont be seeing the results of this till 2018 at the earliest. This whole turn around for some studios takes years to design and develop new games. 3-4 years is about right but its not like all this started the day he started being the head of xbox.

I find it extremely odd that so many people are up in arms about Microsoft lacking in first party release when the outcry during the first two years of the PS4 was exponentially smaller.

Banned
Nobody gives a fuck about the brand.

Let's summarize this "absolutely solid job" into bullet points
1) removal of Kinect
2) introduction of Xbox 360 BC
3) bought Minecraft
4) ended and closed Lionhead, Press Play, Function Studios, Good Science, LXP, SOTA
5) loss of long-standing exclusive partnerships with Epic Games and Remedy
6) failed / soured exlusivity experiments with Respawn, Insomniac, Crystal Dynamics, Platinum
7) renamed Black Tusk to Coalition and told them fuck ideas, make Gears
8) announced Sporkio
9) announced that every 1st party Xbox game will also be on PC

Forgot anything?

And that's pretending "Phil" wasn't around before. In fact he absolutely was around when Bungie wanted out, when Bioware lost interest in making exclusives, when Bizarre was made redundant to Microsoft's plans, when former XBLA heroes like John Blow and Phil Fish were declared enemies of the state, when FASA was closed after a glorious GAAS arena shooter based on an RPG license of all things and so on and so forth.

Over the past decade MGS has done nothing but liquidate assets and burn bridges. They are now coasting along on the fumes of Xbox 360 fan goodwill but they have neither the capacity nor the strategy to deliver anything competitive going forward. BC is absolutely the smartest thing they could have done, given the reality of their current production pipeline.
I was gonna post something like this but yours was more comprehensive.

I mean, if you really want to see where the Xbox brand has gone since Phil has taken over....

sam12

I find it extremely odd that so many people are up in arms about Microsoft lacking in first party release when the outcry during the first two years of the PS4 was exponentially smaller.

Well because MS was in another deep mess back then, while Sony was not. MS has this habit of shooting themselves in the foot

1) removal of Kinect
2) introduction of Xbox 360 BC
3) bought Minecraft
8) announced Sporkio
9) announced that every 1st party Xbox game will also be on PC

That count as bad things now?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I remember plenty of outcry about Sony's first party output in the first few years.

Mauddib

Banned
Honestly, it feels like they've been saying this forever, and things have just gotten worse. They just can't be trusted anymore.

"Greatness Waits", was a thing, you know. Tons of people are of the mindset that PS4 wasn't worth it until Bloodborne.

Excuse me? Sony haz no games, the memes, the articles, multiple threads every holiday ...o plz
All three get shit when they don't release games

bigjig

A console lacking games in its first year or two is understandable. A console lacking games 3-4 years into a generation is a little harder to excuse.

I was gonna post something like this but yours was more comprehensive.

I mean, if you really want to see where the Xbox brand has gone since Phil has taken over....

Agree with the post but I do give a fuck about the brand, there is a lot of potential going to waste imo

Mauddib

Banned
A console lacking games in its first year or two is understandable. A console lacking games 3-4 years into a generation is a little harder to excuse.

This. Seriously why is it so hard to understand? The Sony drought was understandable, MS's drought is inexcusable.

Zedox

The Rare quote could very well be a misuse of words. He might have meant "upcoming". Phil Spencer is a militarily trained PR speaker, I doubt he would let an info like that slip.

You are reaching. The whole context of what he was saying was stuff that aren't announced. So no, it wasn't a misuse of words.

farisr

Yeah, "The PS3 has no games" meme becoming the "PS4 has no games" meme, and the constant mocking of the "greatness awaits" slogan totally wasn't a thing, you're right.

well.gif

Kremzeek

I would say this E3 is the time to prove it, but then they've also showed games at E3 before and they end up cancelled.

sam12

Also MS needs to wake up and realize that US is not the center of the world. They were trying well initially in 360 days with Japan but like usual they have zero patience. Don't try and hold yourself to just America. Even movie companies realize that to make money you have to look at the international market now. MS just stays put and then they wonder why no one buys their games.

You must not remember the "PS4 has no gamez" memes 😂😂😂

Lemondish

I played a few decent xbox exclusive games. Not as much as PS4 but im holding my eggs close until E3 is over. I see no need for panic or doom and gloom and in all honesty ive got too many games to play, so much ill probably never finish them all. Save your eggs for E3
Take what he said how you will but there is truth in it. Destiny 2 will have longer legs than any first party game released between now and next 2 years. I have no doubts that Microsoft wont be releasing any single player story driven games.

Panic isn't wise.

But neither is trusting them before they make good on these promises...this time.

Jumeira

Banned
He isn't wrong just because he says things you wish weren't true.

In this case he wasn't entirely clear, there's a large portion of posters coming to the same conclusion as I, a whole thread was dedicated to it with fans tweeting Kamiya about his condition, stress can be overcome but it seemed much more serious. Using mental health probably isn't the best words to use given its association, but yep he did say stress & mental issues.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=228070377

I stand corrected

Crayon

I think you'll find that the majority of people disagree with you.

Maybe people here. But we are abnormal. A normal person will walk into any major retailer in the us and see a nicely maintained Xbox secion with dozens or hundreds of games.

Is it any wonder why Shinobi stopped posting here lol
Facts. The way people treat this dude is baffling , he's always seemed like a genuine nice guy. He's putting out info he gets at his own risk there's no way in hell everything can be right, some of y'all are way too entitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom