• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philippines President tells police they should shoot Human Rights Activists

Jackpot

Banned
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ts-watch-philippines-president-duterte-threat

Human rights group slams Philippines president Duterte's threat to kill them

‘If they are obstructing justice, you shoot them,’ Rodrigo Duterte tells police officers of activists opposed to his drugs war

Speaking following the bloodiest night of his one-year tenure in high office, Duterte said he would investigate human rights defenders criticising him, or order officers to kill them.

“One of these days, you human rights groups, I will also investigate you. That’s the truth. For conspiracy,” Duterte said.

“If they are obstructing justice, you shoot them,” he said. “So they can really see the kind of human rights.”

Police in the Philippines killed 32 people in a series of raids near Manila on Monday night, part of an operation authorities said was aimed to “shock and awe” drug dealers.

Duterte later said he approved of the “massive raid” and called for more bloodshed: “Let’s kill another 32 every day. Maybe we can reduce what ails this country.”

The former prosecutor, who has repeatedly assured police he will pardon them for crimes, previously threatened to kill human rights defenders in December 2016.

Mohonky

If there's one thing about this guy, at least you know where he lands on something, doesnt leave a lot of room for ambiguity.

Who voted for this guy anyway and when is he due out?

jsnepo

This President of ours recently admitted that he could not solve the drug problem even comparing to other countries such as the US that even they could not solve it. Then he attacked the media for it saying that meant that as his experience as mayor of his hometown.

This President is the worst President next to Marcos.

Volimar

I mean he pretty much opened the door for police to kill citizens and then retroactively label them as drug dealers.

“If they are obstructing justice, you shoot them,” he said. “So they can really see the kind of human rights.”

What's that even supposed to mean?
This sounds like a failure of a parent going "I'll give you something to cry about".

Hagi

What's that even supposed to mean?
This sounds like a failure of a parent going "I'll give you something to cry about".

I think he's saying he'll show them what rights they really have by killing them. It's kind of like a B movie villain one liner.

Apt101

Why do people still support him at this point? I'm asking as someone who has never lived there, and whose extended family moved out of the country years ago. I just don't get it.

UrbanRats

i wonder how long it will be before Trump offers to pardon any of those caught committing violence for him?
Longer than it took this thread to turn into Trump and the US.
-
Anyway, there's little this psychopath can do at this point, that's really gonna surprise anyone, he's basically trying to legalize murder, or the closest thing to it.

If there's one thing about this guy, at least you know where he lands on something, doesnt leave a lot of room for ambiguity.

Ha, how quaint to think he's going to respect the result if he loses.

Kthulhu

Longer than it took this thread to turn into Trump and the US.
-
Anyway, there's little this psychopath can do at this point, that's really gonna surprise anyone, he's basically trying to legalize murder, or the closest thing to it.

I mean, he kind of already did.

See, this was what I was afraid of. That people around the world would just forget about his scumbag and let him do his crazy thing in my country.

That said, millions upon millions of people loves this guy ugh.

How are his approval numbers?

Verelios

Due out? You think he's going to relinquish all that power willingly?

See, this was what I was afraid of. That people around the world would just forget about his scumbag and let him do his crazy thing in my country.

The last thing I remember was the Philippines still had a city under siege by an ISIS like faction so I had just assumed he's stuck cleaning up that shit for months

Didn't think he had time to look for shit elsewhere

Yeah, there's a huge Filippino population here in Taiwan, and many have baffled me with their devout, "Praise Be to God" religious nature, and yet they herald Duterte as some kind of savior. My brother-in-laws would-be fiancé is the exact same way.

A bit hypocrital, to say the least.

Lubricus

I read an article about this. People said thefts and begging have really decreased. They like the strict law and order.

Amalthea

Banned
It's like the only problem solving this guy knows is killing shit.

I wonder how he tackles everyday problems...

Aide: "Sir, the mail got stuck in the opening-flap."
Duerte: "Kill the mailbox, kill all the mailboxes in the country!"

Duerte during dinner: "The soup is too salty!"
Waiter: "I will get you a less salty soup."
Duerte: "No, kill the soup and its whole family!!"

GreekWolf

Seriously, be careful. We have lots of Pinoy here, and if someone reads your comments and tips off the wrong people, Duterte is crazy enough to locate your extended family and make an example.

The man is a complete psycho.

Kthulhu

I read an article about this. People said thefts and begging have really decreased. They like the strict law and order.

Can't commit crimes if it's too dangerous to go outside.

reece.JPG

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
are those 80 percent approval numbers actually real, though? I'm asking seriously.
I'm curious about this as well.

My girlfriend's grandmother move to the US about 40 years ago but still only watches news from the Philippines. She loves this guy. It's heartbreaking. Stay safe, Pinoy GAF.

Kthulhu

I'm curious about this as well.

My girlfriend's grandmother move to the US about 40 years ago but still only watches news from the Philippines. She loves this guy. It's heartbreaking. Stay safe, Pinoy GAF.

Out of curiosity, is she also a Trump supporter?

Dryk

Why do people still support him at this point? I'm asking as someone who has never lived there, and whose extended family moved out of the country years ago. I just don't get it.
As I understand it it's the mindset that anyone it happens to had it coming, me and my family are among the good ones and will never be affected, etc, taken to the extreme. So just your general selfish and bigoted bullshit.

Camwi

I think a lot of it is just poor information, like here in the US.

I have seen so many ravenous supporters on Facebook that keep bringing up a child getting raped by drug addicts, as if that makes all drug addicts child rapists.

Daedardus

That's the really fucked up part.
At least Trumps approval ratings show that the majority doesn't like him.
But 80 percent for Duerte..ugh

Probably those most opposed to him either manifested against him and got shot since they were seen as criminals or those who don't dare to manifest just keep quiet out of fear.

Pachimari

Seriously, be careful. We have lots of Pinoy here, and if someone reads your comments and tips off the wrong people, Duterte is crazy enough to locate your extended family and make an example.

The man is a complete psycho.
I'm gonna say whatever I want, and nobody there in the Philippines shall tell me not to publically criticize him. He is a horrible human being and shall be called out for it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Out of curiosity, is she also a Trump supporter?
I don't think she voted or knows anything at all about American politics. She can't read much English, and while she speaks it fairly well you have to speak plainly. Her husband likely did, though. Not sure how he feels about Trump these days.

Top Bottom