• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phobias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Nothing that crazy, I just have arachnophobia. At times it annoys me when my friends just don't get it how much a phobia can affect a person. They keep saying "dude they're just spiders" and I know that, but they still scare the hell out of me. At worst I've had nights when I was unable to sleep because I had seen a picture of a tarantula and even several hours later I was unable to get it out of my head.
Few times while I was showering I got some weird panic attack that there might be a spider in the shower and just had to get out.
In games if there are spider enemies sometimes I have to look away from the screen and randomly attack and hope I kill the damn thing.
In Half Life 2 the black headcrabs in Ravenholm reminded me so much of spiders and scared me so much that my shirt was completely wet from cold sweat and I just closed my PC middle of the level.
And the most ridiculous part is that I live in Finland... we don't have giant spiders here but that doesn't stop my phobia :/
The best way to deal with phobias is exposure to the stimulus. Even extreme phobias can be cured.

Best of luck to dealing with arachnophobia.

Braag

Thanks for the link. That shed some light to certain things I didn't know.

I had a class mate who had Claustrophobia and wasn't able to take the elevator for example so while everyone else took the elevator I usually took the stairs with him mainly cause I felt kind bad for him.
He once told me he doubts a phobia like that can be cured and I've heard others say similar things which is why I always thought that Phobias are incurable, that you're born with it or something and have to just deal with it.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I suffer from Phobophobia since I had cancer. It's basically the fear of fear. I fear that I ever have to suffer from the fear of having cancer again. I know it sounds ridiculous but it's no joke.

God bless that show.
don't you just love maury? someone goes on the show explaining a phobia they have and he does the worst thing you could possibly do to help people get over there phobias. He has his staff come out and chase the ppl with there biggest fears. I am surprised nobody has had a heart attack or injury from running and sued him. To the OP I have arachnaphobia and hate all bugs equally but spiders bother me the most. How deep does your coworkers phobia go? does she hate cardboard boxes, wooden funiture and trees as well?

brian577

Banned
Pedophobia. I fear children, as far as I'm concerned they are little sociopaths. If it's under 13 keep it the hell away from me.

BouncyFrag

Heights
maxresdefault.jpg

Even when looking up at tall building makes me uneasy
So much nope. I have trouble just watching those climber vids and the one of the radio tower maintenance guy.

Cars and swimming pools freak me out to death. I've nearly drowned every time I've been in a pool, so that one's obvious, but the car thing I have no clue about, I just start freaking out whenever I'm in one and the one time I drove one I had a bit of a panic attack.

Enco

Always been scared of heights in dreams.

Rarely get high in real life so not sure if I'll feel the same. Going to edges of high places isn't something I'm into though.

BouncyFrag

Anybody scared of heights go on one of those massive ferris wheels such as this one in my city or take on their phobias head on? I went on a smallish one once, and I was a mess.
2705424gonw_Fh_OJ.jpg

North America's tallest ferris wheel in Fair Park, Dallas.

oni_saru

I have a fear of needles. Can't even see them in movies. My left arm (usually the left one) feels weird/freaks out when i do see them. :(

My fear is so bad, i'm totally screwed if i ever have to go to a hospital for an emergency. Two weeks ago i visited my uncle and kept avoiding looking at his arm with the IV drip. Felt bad.

Also about three years ago when i had to get a lot of blood drawn for tests, i almost passed out as i left the office. :'D

I suffer from Phobophobia since I had cancer. It's basically the fear of fear. I fear that I ever have to suffer from the fear of having cancer again. I know it sounds ridiculous but it's no joke.

This is incredibly intriguing. I'd love to hear more if you want to elaborate. The fear of fear. So do scary movies or games freak you out too?

Cheers for sharing bro

Anybody scared of heights go on one of those massive ferris wheels such as this one in my city or take on their phobias head on? I went on a smallish one once, and I was a mess.
2705424gonw_Fh_OJ.jpg

North America's tallest ferris wheel in Fair Park, Dallas.

I'm not afraid of heights necessarily, but I have vertigo and I went on a Skycoaster once. I was one of the people working at it and when my coworkers found out I never went on, they tried so hard to get me to go. Finally when I went, I was freaking out the entire way up, and when I thought we had to be nearing the top, it wasn't even halfway up. I told them if I went, I had to be the one to pull the ripcord so I could be in control of the situation, and when we got up there, I did. The first three seconds were a complete free-fall and I wasn't expecting that, but once the cord tightened and started swinging us, it was amazing.

Bear in mind that prior to this, I would get three steps up a ladder and my legs would start shaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom