• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix infant dies in hot car - second such death in city in 2 days (Read the OP)

Cilidra

My kids school is a bit farther than my work place on the same road. I drop off my kids off to school maybe once every two weeks (they take the bus most days).
I can't count the times I just pull in my work parking place without even thinking about it. The kids then saying 'dad we have to go to school'. I know they are there, that I have to drop them off, it's just the break of the normal routine.
I can understand that with the 'right' chain of distractions someone could be certain he dropped off the kid at day care.
I could never forgive myself if I did and I am sure that most of those incident are purely a unfortunate series of events that made those parents do the unthinkable.
Human failability is terrible. No one is infaible.

DJ88

Holy shit going through this thread is infuriating.

People are trying to help, trying to infrom, trying to educate, all in the hopes that by making people aware, there's a small chance the next one of these stories can be prevented.

But dumb motherfuckers are too damn dense to realize it, and by doing so, are actually increasing the chances of it happening to them.

God damn. After going through this thread, it's seriously no wonder that Trump supporters actually buy the "Fake News" horseshit.

Every single person in this thread who read those articles and still chooses to believe that only a negligent idiot can forget their kid in a car is exactly on the same plane of thinking as a Trump supporter.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Holy shit going through this thread is infuriating.

People are trying to help, trying to infrom, trying to educate, all in the hopes that by making people aware, there's a small chance the next one of these stories can be prevented.

But dumb motherfuckers are too damn dense to realize it, and by doing so, are actually increasing the chances of it happening to them.

God damn. After going through this thread, it's seriously no wonder that Trump supporters actually buy the "Fake News" horseshit.

Every single person in this thread who read those articles and still chooses to believe that only a negligent idiot can forget their kid in a car is exactly on the same plane of thinking as a Trump supporter.

I see the attitude you're referring to in quite a few threads - the basic problem is a lack of self awareness of these posters, and the inability to empathise with others because of said lack of awareness.

People make mistakes. Our brains make mistakes. We forget and miscalculate things all the time. Most of us are just lucky that we've never had devastating consequences from our mistakes yet.

I wouldn't even live kids alone in a car in the first place what more on a hot day. Who lives their kids unattended in a car? Some people....SMH. Always take precautions and check car before locking up and leaving. It never hurts to check multiple times to prevent these kinds of things from happening. Make it a habit to check seats, the same way you make it a habit to make sure car is locked when you're leaving.

Isotropy

Horrible - and nobody is above catastrophic error. Surely there's room for car manufacturers or app developers to help reduce the risk of this, somehow...

Read my edited post. I'm sorry, I still don't sympathize. I feel terrible for their loss but I still think this mistake can still be prevented.
Oh, there are definitely ways of reducing the number of deaths that happen from stuff such as this and prevent these tragedies. These include lobbying automobile manufacturers/lobbyists to make safety features such as weight sensors for the rear-seats of cars standard. Unfortunately, those don't have much momentum because most people would rather just point fingers and cast blame than understand the science and face the uncomfortable truth that this could happen to anyone that would lead to more practical solutions such as that.

Oh, there are definitely ways of reducing the number of deaths that happen from stuff such as this and prevent these tragedies. These include lobbying automobile manufacturers/lobbyists to make safety features such as weight sensors for the rear-seats of cars standard. Unfortunately, those don't have much momentum because most people would rather just point fingers and cast blame than understand the science and face the uncomfortable truth that this could happen to anyone that would lead to more practical solutions such as that.
I'm all for that actually. I have to admit I glanced through the OP too quickly and didn't notice that this was a real mistake. At first I thought the parents left the child in the car intentionally like I've seen many people do. I don't believe anyone is above mistakes and I've made many (like I just did with reading the OP too quickly).

I don't think this is an either or thing. Yea, I blame the parents for their extremely costly mistake but I don't feel that blaming them or prosecuting them will solve anything. A mistake is a mistake, and I feel they have already suffered too much for theirs, punishing them further is not only cruel but futile. Car manufacturers and hopefully phone app creators can help solve this problem in the future. People shouting at each other and blaming won't solve this problem unfortunately.

Top Bottom