• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Point |FIG| Sci-fi horror "Cthulhu-COM" from creator of original X-COM

Makarov Cubone

Neo Member
That could work very well.
Maybe even transitioning into an late game "bio-science" division where you can mutate/regrow body parts, giving like crab claws as offensive melee weapons or something like that.
(Maybe one of the human subfaction is a fan of using mutation and when you "side" with them u unlock the mutate ability but disgust other human factions)

Not sure about anything regarding limb damage, but the latter already seems to be pretty likely.

It sounds like that's the deal with the Disciples of Anu faction. The option to use mutations definitely makes sense as a reward for siding with them. Their brief description mentions how they use mutations, and if they make good on the 4X elements, it'd make sense for the remaining factions to become hostile towards you, either for siding with them, or for embracing their mutation practices.

Khoryos

I just chucked in for a collector's edition - I've been following this game for a while, glad to see it's actually progressing now. There was a while where it looked like vaporware, which I guess is thematically appropriate.

F!ReW!Re

Not sure about anything regarding limb damage, but the latter already seems to be pretty likely.

It sounds like that's the deal with the Disciples of Anu faction. The option to use mutations definitely makes sense as a reward for siding with them. Their brief description mentions how they use mutations, and if they make good on the 4X elements, it'd make sense for the remaining factions to become hostile towards you, either for siding with them, or for embracing their mutation practices.

Haven't had time to read the Disciples of Anu backstory but glad you gave me the short version of it.

Yeah we'll probably get the choice of either mutations or tech/robotics or magic/mind power through the different factions we can back.

Wondering how the home base thing in this game will work.

That could work very well.
Maybe even transitioning into an late game "bio-science" division where you can mutate/regrow body parts, giving like crab claws as offensive melee weapons or something like that.
(Maybe one of the human subfaction is a fan of using mutation and when you "side" with them u unlock the mutate ability but disgust other human factions)
Good news, I asked the devs in the FIG comments if there were any plans for a system like that (limb damage and replacements), and they said not only was it was planned, it's already working in the current prototype

Brokun

I don't recall him talking about this and I'm guessing it's too early to know, but does anyone know how big the squad size is? In screenshots and video I only see 1 or 2.

I don't recall him talking about this and I'm guessing it's too early to know, but does anyone know how big the squad size is? In screenshots and video I only see 1 or 2.

From the comments:

I was more thinking that 4 would be a lower limit, not an upper one. There won't be the same kind of artificial restrictions as in XCOM - but personnel will be a limited and valuable resource.

Foffy

Banned
Looks like current XCOM meets Terror from the Deep.

This looks amazing. More XCOM is never a bad thing, even if it's an XCOM-like game.

From the comments:

I was more thinking that 4 would be a lower limit, not an upper one. There won't be the same kind of artificial restrictions as in XCOM - but personnel will be a limited and valuable resource.
I started my xcom stint with eu but what would stop you from bringing 12 soldiers on missions, triviliazing the difficulty? I've got ufo defense on steam but haven't started yet and I'm pretty sure that one has larger squad sizes as well.

I started my xcom stint with eu but what would stop you from bringing 12 soldiers on missions, triviliazing the difficulty? I've got ufo defense on steam but haven't started yet and I'm pretty sure that one has larger squad sizes as well.
In this game? Probably resources, injuries, and so on

F!ReW!Re

Good news, I asked the devs in the FIG comments if there were any plans for a system like that (limb damage and replacements), and they said not only was it was planned, it's already working in the current prototype

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation!

And Update 2 on fig is up:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point?update=356#updates

Chitin Armor designs
wWfqRvW.jpg

Our concept artist, Slavi, is working on the Chitin Armor designs, which are special, exclusive digital in-game items for Fig backers. This armor was made by a legendary alien hunter who then fashioned a fearsome, but effective, set of armour made from the parts of his victims. There will be several variants for different parts of the body, including helmets.

and the Jericho group sub faction;
http://www.phoenixpoint.info/new-jericho

HQft9v2.jpg

Looks like current XCOM meets Terror from the Deep.

This looks amazing. More XCOM is never a bad thing, even if it's an XCOM-like game.
Yeah it looks great and exactly that. Would be a shame for the xcom 2 team though if the rumored expansion for that game ends up being terror of the deep because there's no way the monsters will look as cool as these.

Let's hope to hit some stretch goals, have they talked about console versions yet?

Only in a comment to say to someone they have no plans for a PS4 version.

They're probably in a tricky position in that they'd like to get money from console users, but in a game like this they're probably wary of annoying the PC backers who will jump to the conclusion that the game will be dumbed down to support consoles (which may well be true as it's probably hard not to keep in mind while developing the game that every action needs to be doable with a controller).

I think the Firaxis XCOM got flak about this, though I wasn't following that very closely.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The console versions of XCOM also sold pretty poorly, the market isn't really there to justify simultaneous development. They can always port it later if they want.

Erheller

The console versions of XCOM also sold pretty poorly, the market isn't really there to justify simultaneous development. They can always port it later if they want.

Yeah, this is pretty much the case. Console XCOM have always sold very poorly.

I'm curious, does anyone know how Civ Rev did on consoles?

Lister

Banned

Exactly. Focus on a great PC release that takes advantage of the strengths of the platform.

The moment I see a small team add console to the list of stretch goals, nevermind if it comes BEFORE something like mod support, is when I being to lose faithin the project.

Make the PC verison the best it can be. Use the money you earn to invest in a console version after release. Make THAT version tailored to that platform as best you can.

Boom. Profit, and happy customers. Splitting your attention will only mean a half assed job for both console and Pc gamers.

Mind you I think a game like this should probably eschew consoles and instead reinvest on the PC with a nice beefy expansion and long term support, but that's for them to decide. Maybe they will see a bigger demand once the game hits PC.

Top Bottom