• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

I just finished it too, actually. I loved it. I agree a bit with some of your points, but I was kind of ok with the more organic feel behind it. Life is usually sort of messy like that and it made the characters feel a little more real to me somehow.

I just started the dlc and damn, Ellen Wyatt's animations caught me off guard. It's silly shit like that that makes me love this series.

emag

It was hard to go back to 3DS Ace Attorney after I played Dual Destinies on iPad. So maybe the platform had something to do with it, but I liked Dual Destinies significantly more than Spirit of Justice.

Here, I liked cases 2 & 3 the most, but I honestly wished there was a lot less of Phoenix. I liked Athena parts in Dual Destinies, but case 4 was unnecessary and far too Japanese to be enjoyable here. Case 1 was horrible, apart from Peeslubn (sp). Case 5 was so drawn out as to squander the impact of its twists (and
the queen just wasn't as scary as the developers wanted to portray her
).

I hope the next game jumps forward a few years and focuses on Athena and/or a new attorney, with only limited appearances by Apollo and/or Nick (although a case 4/5 Prosecutor Apollo/Nick would be neat). Trucy, Blackquill, and even Gavin are welcome, but Maya and Pearl should be done. Time Traveler Turnabout was a great farewell to the old cast anyhow.

EDIT: Case 2 & 3 spoilers:
Yeah, the suicide in 3 was obvious from the start, but the teleportation trick? I've seen The Prestige, thank you very much.

Taruranto

Just finished this. I enjoyed the game, but I found it kinda... aimless? The game really struggled to use all its 3 protagonists and it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a Phoenix or an Apollo game. Some random comments:

- It really feels like they didn't know what to do with Apollo after Apollo Justice. First DD introduced his childhood friend who was never mentioned before and is super important and now SoJ reveals
he grew up in Ku'rain and is the adoptive son of a major figure in the country and had a (adoptive) brother all along.
Honestly this should have been an Apollo's game. The writers obviously try to sell the game as some kind of big conclusion for Apollo, but the truth is that I barely feel like he had an arc past Apollo justice.

- Maya's return was largely disappointing, to the point it feels like she shouldn't have been on the cover at all. (Why not use Rayfa instead?) She just
gets framed and then she's largely useless in the 5th case. Honestly, she felt like a plot device more than anything.

- They used both
DID
and
prosopagnosia
in the same game. Kinda feels like they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for tweeests. Oh, the game also has
secret twins reveal
too.

- 5-5 I
managed to figure most twists just before they revealed them (Nayna, etc) except the last one (She had no powers). I actually enjoyed Ga'ran as an antagonist. At one point I was expecting them to reveal Apolo's real father had started the fire tho'.

- Nahyuta is a shitty character and the worst prosecutor. Even worse than Franziska, who at least was a good character, she just sucked as a prosecutor.

- Too many repetitions and flashbacks, jesus christ.

Overall, I don't think the game had any highs but neither really terribad cases like the circus or 5-2.

6,5/10, it was OK.

Taruranto

Doing the DLC now, is it just me or Edgeworth is kinda... out of character? He feels like pre-character development Edgeworth and he's waaaay harsher than I remember him being.

The DLC banks on the nostalgia angle so hard they decided making Edgeworth revert to dickery and Wright to come across as a complete bluff machine beginner was the right way to go.

Doing the DLC now, is it just me or Edgeworth is kinda... out of character? He feels like pre-character development Edgeworth and he's waaaay harsher than I remember him being.

Edgeworth is always harsh and somewhat insulting when he faces off against Phoenix in court, but he's polite enough outside this setting. This was true in the fifth game as well.

Taruranto

Edgeworth is always harsh and somewhat insulting when he faces off against Phoenix in court, but he's polite enough outside this setting. This was true in the fifth game as well.

But *this* Edgeworth is attempting to incriminate Ellen multiple times and close the case, even if it's clear there is more than meets the eye. PW2-3 Edgeworth always tried to find the truth.

He feels like PW1's Edgeworth to me.

But *this* Edgeworth is attempting to incriminate Ellen multiple times and close the case, even if it's clear there is more than meets the eye. PW2-3 Edgeworth always tried to find the truth.

He feels like PW1's Edgeworth to me.

After the second game, Edgeworth realized that as long as he was up against Wright in court, any obstacle he tossed in his direction would help find the truth. This was the point of Edgeworth's and Wright's character developments in that game, their total trust in each other in court. Edgeworth is willing to push his cases against Wright to the ridiculous because he knows Wright can handle it and turn it to their mutual advantage.

So while Edgeworth, post AA2, might appear similar in his actions in court to his AA1 ways, his motivations are completely different.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
So I bought the game for android yesterday and finished the first case and i'm liking it so far except for the music which is kinda different due to the Khura'in theme compared to the other games (I played only the DS games) and that it only has two save slots. I see that there is also Apollo Justice (which I already played) and Dual Destinies on android, how are the ports?

Top Bottom