• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photo of Earth from one million miles away

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit- Another pic:

uYDfogs.jpg

Beauiful.

A NASA camera on the Deep Space Climate Observatory satellite has returned its first view of the entire sunlit side of Earth from one million miles away.

This color image of Earth was taken by NASA’s Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC), a four megapixel CCD camera and telescope. The image was generated by combining three separate images to create a photographic-quality image. The camera takes a series of 10 images using different narrowband filters -- from ultraviolet to near infrared -- to produce a variety of science products. The red, green and blue channel images are used in these color images.

The image was taken July 6, 2015, showing North and Central America. The central turquoise areas are shallow seas around the Caribbean islands. This Earth image shows the effects of sunlight scattered by air molecules, giving the image a characteristic bluish tint. The EPIC team is working to remove this atmospheric effect from subsequent images. Once the instrument begins regular data acquisition, EPIC will provide a daily series of Earth images allowing for the first time study of daily variations over the entire globe. These images, available 12 to 36 hours after they are acquired, will be posted to a dedicated web page by September 2015.

The primary objective of DSCOVR, a partnership between NASA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the U.S. Air Force, is to maintain the nation’s real-time solar wind monitoring capabilities, which are critical to the accuracy and lead time of space weather alerts and forecasts from NOAA.

Blobbers

So pretty. I wonder if our planet at one point found itself on a Galaxy Destroyers alien species path of destruction but they deemed it too beautiful to destroy.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
The image was taken July 6, 2015, showing North and Central America. The central turquoise areas are shallow seas around the Caribbean islands. This Earth image shows the effects of sunlight scattered by air molecules, giving the image a characteristic bluish tint. The EPIC team is working to remove this atmospheric effect from subsequent images. Once the instrument begins regular data acquisition, EPIC will provide a daily series of Earth images allowing for the first time study of daily variations over the entire globe. These images, available 12 to 36 hours after they are acquired, will be posted to a dedicated web page by September 2015.

This is great news. I like that something tangible is coming out of this.

_Nemo

I've seen so many pics of the Earth like that... so this is the first "real" one and the rest were fakes/renditions?

Blizzard

Banned
"The images clearly show desert sand structures, river systems and complex cloud patterns. There will be a huge wealth of new data for scientists to explore."

What's the resolution of the original image? I sure can't see that level of detail with the image at the site.

I've seen so many pics of the Earth like that... so this is the first "real" one and the rest were fakes/renditions?
There have been other real ones. Astronauts on Apolly 17 took this while they were on their way to the moon, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Marble

Hoodbury

Can someone explain what is different about this picture than of other ones we have of Earth from space?

The article says "first view of the entire sunlit side of Earth" but I feel like there have been others that look exactly the same.

Still a cool pic of Earth.

mantidor

you had one word

This is clever and I had to comment about it :p

Can someone explain what is different about this picture than of other ones we have of Earth from space?

The article says "first view of the entire sunlit side of Earth" but I feel like there have been others that look exactly the same.

Still a cool pic of Earth.

It's the first pic from this specific satellite, not in general.

Salsa

Blizzard

Banned
OgAnAVT.png

what is this super green cloud above jamaica & friends?

oh
From the OP:

This color image of Earth was taken by NASA’s Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC), a four megapixel CCD camera and telescope. The image was generated by combining three separate images to create a photographic-quality image. The camera takes a series of 10 images using different narrowband filters -- from ultraviolet to near infrared -- to produce a variety of science products. The red, green and blue channel images are used in these color images.

The image was taken July 6, 2015, showing North and Central America. The central turquoise areas are shallow seas around the Caribbean islands. This Earth image shows the effects of sunlight scattered by air molecules, giving the image a characteristic bluish tint. The EPIC team is working to remove this atmospheric effect from subsequent images.
I added the bolding. Also at the end it sounds like they will be trying to filter some stuff later on. I don't know if that means the equivalent of photoshop color balancing or just combining the image differently or what.

It's probably unreasonable of me to think this, but I'm always a bit disappointed when planet or space photographs show up and they're renderings of what colors the human eye would probably see, etc. I wish there were some sort of ruggedized GoPro that could actually be taken into space or a planet and take some generic unfiltered earthling video.

It might be useless for science though. :p

FZZ

Banned
They flipped the image upside down right?

Or did they only do that for the first photo they got of the planet?

Syriel

"The images clearly show desert sand structures, river systems and complex cloud patterns. There will be a huge wealth of new data for scientists to explore."

What's the resolution of the original image? I sure can't see that level of detail with the image at the site.

There have been other real ones. Astronauts on Apolly 17 took this while they were on their way to the moon, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Marble

The images were taken with a 4MP camera.

The composite image on the website is 2048x2048.

That should be pretty close to the raw resolution of the camera, assuming a square CCD.

By comparison, a standard 3MP digital camera is going to be 2048x1536, though that aspect is due to our general desire for prints in that ratio versus a perfectly square image.

What is more impressive than the raw resolution is the lens on that thing. The clarity.

mantidor

From the OP:

I added the bolding. Also at the end it sounds like they will be trying to filter some stuff later on. I don't know if that means the equivalent of photoshop color balancing or just combining the image differently or what.

It's probably unreasonable of me to think this, but I'm always a bit disappointed when planet or space photographs show up and they're renderings of what colors the human eye would probably see, etc. I wish there were some sort of ruggedized GoPro that could actually be taken into space or a planet and take some generic unfiltered earthling video.

It might be useless for science though. :p

Shallow water.

You people suck at humor. (Or maybe Salsa does :p)

what is this super green cloud above jamaica & friends?

oh

I thought 1 million miles would be further away.

I feel better about listening to Procralimers 500 miles and Vanessa Carltons A Thousand miles now. Seems a lot more dooable than I thought.

The thing is, 1 km = 2,3 miles, so I forget how long miles are often.

LoveCake

How about 6 billion km
KFa0tOp.png

That tiny blue dot is us.

came to post this.

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

Makes you think, how small we really are.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
For the people who are not impressed by an Earth photo:

But DSCOVR is also equipped with some Earth-observation gear, including NASA's Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera, or EPIC, which took the new photo on July 6. EPIC captures a series of 10 different images in a variety of wavelengths, from near infrared to ultraviolet light, which can be analyzed in a number of different ways.

As the new photo suggests, the camera is performing well, team members said.

"The high quality of the EPIC images exceeded all of our expectations in resolution," DSCOVR project scientist Adam Szabo, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, said in a statement. "The images clearly show desert sand structures, river systems and complex cloud patterns. There will be a huge wealth of new data for scientists to explore."

NASA will use the camera's observations to measure ozone levels in Earth's atmosphere and plant growth on the ground, and to build maps showing the distrubution of dust and volcanic ash around the globe, among other things, space agency officials said.

"This first DSCOVR image of our planet demonstrates the unique and important benefits of Earth observation from space," NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in the same statement.

"As a former astronaut who's been privileged to view the Earth from orbit, I want everyone to be able to see and appreciate our planet as an integrated, interacting system," Bolden added. "DSCOVR's observations of Earth, as well as its measurements and early warnings of space-weather events caused by the sun, will help every person to monitor the ever-changing Earth, and to understand how our planet fits into its neighborhood in the solar system."

mantidor

I feel better about listening to Procralimers 500 miles and Vanessa Carltons A Thousand miles now. Seems a lot more dooable than I thought.

It is disappointing Nasa doesn't use the metric system for their press releases. At least they use it internally, as the rest of the civilized world does. :p

zulux21

1KM = 0.62137119 miles
1 Mile = 1.609344 Kilometer

not sure where you got the 2.3 from, but it's totally understandable if you use KM to forget how long miles are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom