• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photo of Earth from one million miles away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

How about 6 billion km
KFa0tOp.png

That tiny blue dot is us.

thanks, carl

Blizzard

Banned
The images were taken with a 4MP camera.

The composite image on the website is 2048x2048.

That should be pretty close to the raw resolution of the camera, assuming a square CCD.

By comparison, a standard 3MP digital camera is going to be 2048x1536, though that aspect is due to our general desire for prints in that ratio versus a perfectly square image.

What is more impressive than the raw resolution is the lens on that thing. The clarity.

This is what I still don't understand. What "sand structures" are they seeing with only a 2048x2048 image? I'm not even sure I can see rivers which they also mention.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How many people do you think were pooping when that picture was taken? Like that photo could literally contains millions of people taking a shit.

Seanspeed

Banned
too many clouds
I honestly think it's awesome how we are surrounded by this gas bubble basically, and how damn crucial it is for Earth to exist in the state it is in. But it's also scary how this bubble is so finely tuned to support our specific form of life and how fragile it(and life) ultimately is.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I honestly think it's awesome how we are surrounded by this gas bubble basically, and how damn crucial it is for Earth to exist in the state it is in. But it's also scary how this bubble is so finely tuned to support our specific form of life and how fragile it(and life) ultimately is.

i think its more scary than awesome, personally, but its also not very special to have one since there are whole gas planets and most planets have some sort of atmosphere, however thin it is.

Dryk

It's insane how good that image is considering that the camera's a little over 4 times further out than the moon is

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've never been awed by the "pale blue dot" pic. The fact that something appears smaller when farther away is not mind-blowing to me. A change in perspective to make something look smaller doesn't necessarily make it feel less significant to me.

Seanspeed

Banned
i think its more scary than awesome, personally, but its also not very special to have one since there are whole gas planets and most planets have some sort of atmosphere, however thin it is.
But these other planet's atmospheres are either entirely too extreme or just weak and barely existent. Ours is this perfect balance in *so* many important ways. Change one variable to any significant degree and the whole thing falls to shit. The atmosphere may still exist, but it could easily spell the doom of not just people, but perhaps the vast majority of animal or even plant life on the planet.

We are ridiculously lucky to exist.

And a bit of a side note - if you want to really understand how lucky *you* are, in particular, to exist, consider not just this, but also how you won out in a race of, what was likely to be, over 100 million sperm cells. That you or I exist at all is a fucking proper god damn miracle.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
But these other planet's atmospheres are either entirely too extreme or just weak and barely existent. Ours is this perfect balance in *so* many important ways. Change one variable to any significant degree and the whole thing falls to shit. The atmosphere may still exist, but it could easily spell the doom of not just people, but perhaps the vast majority of animal or even plant life on the planet.

only because life evolved in this environment. i dont think anyone thinks that Earth is some special case in the universe at large. unless you believe in creationism.

We are ridiculously lucky to exist.

And a bit of a side note - if you want to really understand how lucky *you* are, in particular, to exist, consider not just this, but also how you won out in a race of, what was likely to be, over 100 million sperm cells. That you or I exist at all is a fucking proper god damn miracle.

law of averages, i would say. still not much of a "miracle" -- its just how math and the universe itself works.

Seanspeed

Banned
only because life evolved in this environment. i dont think anyone thinks that Earth is some special case in the universe at large. unless you believe in creationism.
Our specific form of life only evolved *because* of the specifics of our atmosphere.

Obviously life most likely exists elsewhere, but we still don't know how common it would be for intelligent life like ours to exist. We're not the only ones out there, but it doesn't make our own existence as a species or as an ecosystem, any less crazy.

law of averages, i would say. still not much of a "miracle" -- its just how math and the universe itself works.
Such a weird way to see everything. Speaking of another thread, a pulsar may not be inexplainable or otherwise unheard of, but it doesn't make its existence any less insane or amazing to ponder.

And of yourself in particular, no, it's not the law of averages. You, yourself, as a conscious entity, would never exist in any other capacity. Everyone who exists has won a sort of mind boggling lottery from the get-go. This should be apparent unless you believe in souls, reincarnation, or other nonsense that assumes your consciousness is anything but the result of your very individual brain's existence.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Seeing pictures of Earth always freaks me out a little. Not because it's beautiful (which it is), or because it's where we all live... It's because all the other terrestrial planets in our solar system are rocky wastelands. In contrast, the Earth with it's hilariously thin atmosphere and fragile ecosystems seems like a rare beauty that's just one cosmic disaster away from becoming another rocky wasteland.

Seeing pictures of Earth always freaks me out a little. Not because it's beautiful (which it is), or because it's where we all live... It's because all the other terrestrial planets in our solar system are rocky wastelands. In contrast, the Earth with it's hilariously thin atmosphere and fragile ecosystems seems like a rare beauty that's just one cosmic disaster away from becoming another rocky wasteland.

We'll it's survived for 4+ billion years. Chances are humans will be long gone before something really catastrophic happens.

AlexBasch

Wish we had cool fucking rings all around like Saturn instead of just this shitty blue color.

And how many were cumming into an old sock. Perhaps we'll never know.
If it was taken between 8-9AM GMT, then I'm on it.

Seanspeed

Banned
We'll it's survived for 4+ billion years. Chances are humans will be long gone before something really catastrophic happens.
I don't think humans will be going anywhere *unless* something catastrophic happens. Our rate of technological progress is such that we will gain the ability to either prevent or ward ourselves from certain otherwise disasterous scenarios, and I think, given a continued existence of just one to two thousand years, we might even be able to leave the planet in certain worst-case scenario situations.

Seanspeed

Banned
we are significant insofar as we are
Thank you.

Glad to see other people see things like that. Carl Sagan made a lot of effort to blow our minds with the scale of our existence and our world, but at no point did he ever try and say humanity, or individual humans, were insignificant as a result.

Sometimes I look up at the stars and remember that there is no up in space. That one perspective says I'm standing on a rock looking up, but that's not the only one. A quick change of perspective and suddenly I'm clinging to a tiny rock, looking down at infinite, bottomless abyss below me, just hoping that Earth doesn't drop me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom