• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physician-Age: Calling all students and doctors

Zzoram

Getting into med school is supposed to be insanely hard. Other than doing good on MCAT, what do they want? Do they even care how well you do on MCAT if it's over their stated minimum? If you have multiple degrees, how do they weigh them? Do they weigh different classes more/less? Can a more recent degree with higher marks (90+ avg) cancel out a previous degree with decent marks (low 80 avg)? Do you have to have a ton of hospital volunteer experience and a great life story to tell? Do you need to be in school extra curricular like student government, sports, other clubs? How strongly do they weigh references and what ones are the best to get?

Zzoram said:
Getting into med school is supposed to be insanely hard. Other than doing good on MCAT, what do they want? Do they even care how well you do on MCAT if it's over their stated minimum? If you have multiple degrees, how do they weigh them? Do they weigh different classes more/less? Can a more recent degree with higher marks cancel out a previous degree with decent marks? Do you have to have a ton of hospital volunteer experience and a great life story to tell?

out of order responses to your questions:
science classes are weighted more, they usually ask for a science gpa and a regular gpa. they do care how well you do on the mcat above a stated minimum. not sure how they weigh multiple degrees...i was dual psych/chem, not sure which mattered more to them. i think a more recent degree with better grades is worth more to them than an older degree with worse grades, depending on where the degrees are from. it shows that you've improved, which is important to them, they want to see dedication to your education. you don't need tons of volunteer experience and a great life story. my life story is pretty boring, and i only had a little volunteer experience. research is big though, they like that these days.

Maxim726X

Zzoram said:
Getting into med school is supposed to be insanely hard. Other than doing good on MCAT, what do they want? Do they even care how well you do on MCAT if it's over their stated minimum? If you have multiple degrees, how do they weigh them? Do they weigh different classes more/less? Can a more recent degree with higher marks (90+ avg) cancel out a previous degree with decent marks (low 80 avg)? Do you have to have a ton of hospital volunteer experience and a great life story to tell? Do you need to be in school extra curricular like student government, sports, other clubs? How strongly do they weigh references and what ones are the best to get?

Post above is all true.

For me, I took as many 300-level Natural Science courses as possible. What matters the most is your natural science GPA (BCP- Bio, Chem, and Physics). Major really doesn't matter- What these schools care about is how you can handle difficult science courses, IMO.

As for LORs, get at least one from a science professor. Do you plan on volunteering? Get one from the organization you volunteer for. Planning on doing any research? Get one from the head of your lab.

I would say volunteer at your school's community service club. Kills two birds with one stone.

woodchuck

just took a diagnostic Step 1 without any studying.

holy shit, i have a lot of work to do even though i've learned most of this stuff within the last year. immediately after each organ block, all the information flies out of my head.

Drugs and Bugs are my absolute least favorite thing to study.

I've just read that the US have this medical test since 1928. Blows my fucking mind that we can't get shit done over here and do the same.

Every stupid university in Germany does their own stuff...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Maxim726X said:
Hey all,

Just got accepted into a PA program... A 2 year.

I know this is a subjective question, but how do you guys study? What is your schedule like?

My year 1 is all didactic, so I'm going to be in class 6 days a week... Not looking forward to it, but I feel that I can retain my sanity if I come up with a somewhat regular studying schedule.

PS- Was formerly interested in dentistry- Decided I would be happier as a PA. Anyone want to weigh in on that decision?

So I guess you already had your undergrad? Wish I had some advice for you but I'm still technically undergrad. I start the grad/professional phase this summer though.

Maxim726X

Emerson said:
So I guess you already had your undergrad? Wish I had some advice for you but I'm still technically undergrad. I start the grad/professional phase this summer though.

Nice, congrats!

Yeah I have my bachelors already from Stony Brook. Where are you going to school?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Maxim726X said:
Nice, congrats!

Yeah I have my bachelors already from Stony Brook. Where are you going to school?

Duquesne University. Sorry about forgetting about this thread, haha.

One more week and I'll be done with my first year! Question for those who have taken boards...is it worth it to pick up a copy of first aid and start going through it? What about BRS? Should I bother at all?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
As of today I started the Summer semester and the first of 4 didactic semesters of professional phase PA school.

My classes:

Intro to the PA Profession
History & Physical Exam I & Lab
Clinical Lab Methods
Pathophysiology
Intro to Patient Counseling/Ed

I go pretty much 9am-2pm daily. Not too bad compared to what I did in undergrad or what I'll be doing in fall and spring, but compared to the schedules of the business majors I live with it's practically impossible.

ShortDarkAndUgly said:
One more week and I'll be done with my first year! Question for those who have taken boards...is it worth it to pick up a copy of first aid and start going through it? What about BRS? Should I bother at all?
first aid is your best friend for boards. that and thousands of practice questions (usmle world being the best of them)

i read through that and the kaplan medessentials book a couple times...i had them unbound and put holes in them, then organized them by system and put them in binders. end of first year is kinda early to start studying though.

ShOcKwAvE

Any advice for a 27-yr old who's thinking of Med school? Let's just say that lately I've been regretting my career path, and more and more I think about this switch, despite the challenges.

ShOcKwAvE said:
Any advice for a 27-yr old who's thinking of Med school? Let's just say that lately I've been regretting my career path, and more and more I think about this switch, despite the challenges.

There are tons of non-trads in med school. I didn't start until I was 27. Assuming you are starting from scratch, you probably wouldn't get into med school until you were 30 or so since you need to do pre-reqs in a post-baccalaureate program. I would recommend shadowing a few doctors to get a glimpse of medicine from a doc's perspective. Look through these forums if you wish: http://forums.studentdoctor.net. People from all stages of many medically-related careers post there.

ShOcKwAvE

ShortDarkAndUgly said:
There are tons of non-trads in med school. I didn't start until I was 27. Assuming you are starting from scratch, you probably wouldn't get into med school until you were 30 or so since you need to do pre-reqs in a post-baccalaureate program. I would recommend shadowing a few doctors to get a glimpse of medicine from a doc's perspective. Look through these forums if you wish: http://forums.studentdoctor.net. People from all stages of many medically-related careers post there.

Is it possible to hold a decent-paying job at the same time? I'm worried I won't be able to make money while going to school.

Buttchin said:
functionally not really...

on paper if you actually pay attention... oh hell yeah

Well I mean can you get a job relating the field early enough that you can support yourself while doing it? I've been thinking about it but long hours studying combined with having to support myself seems impossible.

Kintaco

goober said:
Where the pharm students at? holla
I'm not a pharm student, yet anyway (crosses fingers). But that is definitely where I want to be, I've change career paths and I'm a returning student (after a few years). Hopefully in another year I can try to get into a pre-pharm program. I'm currently fixing the mess of a GPA that I left in my younger years.

gwarm01

goober said:
Where the pharm students at? holla
'ello guv!
P3 pharmacy student here. All of the doom and gloom in pharmacy has me thinking heavily about applying to med school. Is the grass greener on the other side? Is my chosen profession just full of negative alarmists? These are the questions I need answered.

Zzoram

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are you pretty much poor all through med school?

I was told by a banker that if a med student walks in asking for a loan, he would reply "how much?"

Med students are the surest best of any type of student, and the bank that loans them money to live on through med school is likely to become the bank they start their business with and the bank they get a mortgage with.

RBH

I didn't know where else to put this, but I have a question in regards to applying for D.O. schools.

Right now, I am applying to both MD and DO schools and trying to finalize my personal statement for each respective application. I know that the AMCAS character limit (5300) differs from the AACOMAS limit (4500) by a bit, but my main concern is over whether or not I should talk about about my osteopathic experience (aka "Why osteopathic medicine?") in my AACOMAS personal statement. My advisor had encouraged me to include my osteopathic experience in my AACOMAS personal statement, but my fear is that the D.O. secondary applications are going to ask "Why osteopathic medicine?" as well, and I don't want to be redundant between the two.

I was just hoping to get an opinion on this issue from anyone here. I would greatly appreciate it.

coopolon

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well I mean can you get a job relating the field early enough that you can support yourself while doing it? I've been thinking about it but long hours studying combined with having to support myself seems impossible.

I knew one guy who worked at his former job through the first two years (it was a pretty nice paying job and it was his former career). It wouldn't be that difficult really to work 20-30 hours a week if you were a quick study, the first two years really aren't that bad. Our schedule was class 8-12 in the morning, and then you'd have a session one afternoon a week. On top of that there were random sessions, exams, etc. so you'd normally have on average 3 afternoons free a week. Combine that with the weekends and there's lots of time, I never felt pressed for time in the first two years.

Years 3 and 4 I don't see how it would be possible with the hectic clerkship schedules. Most people get living expense loans, like ~$23,000 a year (will vary dpeending on where you are), enough that you never even feel that poor but should still be on a budget. Somehow you forget all the money you have in your back account isn't really yours after awhile.

It may be a dumb question, but how do you guys handle your job and social networking?

Did you stop using it, pull up all bridges, so that your patients won't stalk you and still take you serious?

Zzoram

Anyone know what the path is to psychiatry? Is it a specialty that's really difficult to get into? Is it considered ok to go to med school with the express intent of wanting to be a psychiatrist, or do they only want the ER types?

TheMan

Zzoram said:
Anyone know what the path is to psychiatry? Is it a specialty that's really difficult to get into? Is it considered ok to go to med school with the express intent of wanting to be a psychiatrist, or do they only want the ER types?

You can go into medical school wanting to be any specialty. Actually, lots of people start out having no idea what they'll end up practicing. In terms of difficulty, you're in luck. Psychiatry is consistently one of the easiest specialties to get into to. You will have no problems matching into that.

Kad5

I'm thinking about getting into med school but i'm worried if it will be hard or stressful.

Will I be overloaded with insane amounts of work?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Kad5 said:
I'm thinking about getting into med school but i'm worried if it will be hard or stressful.

Yes. If you're trying to avoid hard and stressful work, then don't become a doctor.

Kad5

SoulPlaya said:
Yes. If you're trying to avoid hard and stressful work, then don't become a doctor.

Well i've always been interested in medicine is the thing. So i'm not sure if it will be hard for me for example.

Zzoram

Kad5 said:
Well i've always been interested in medicine is the thing. So i'm not sure if it will be hard for me for example.

Hard work and stress go with the territory. If you can't deal with stress or working long hours, do something else. First test is studying for the MCAT. If you can make yourself study hard and get a good score, that's a start.

Kad5

Zzoram said:
Hard work and stress go with the territory. If you can't deal with stress or working long hours, do something else.

I'm not sure if this is even the best place to ask but how can I tell what major is right for me then?

Kad5 said:

How about doing an internship in a hospital or visiting lectures?

I did pre-uni internships and it helped me to get a lot of experience.

Kad5

Patrick Bateman said:
How about doing an internship in a hospital or visiting lectures?

I did pre-uni internships and it help me to get a lot of experience.

I'll consider it.

I'm just a freshman in college right now so I have a lot of options open.

TheMan

Kad5 said:

Perhaps consider becoming a physician's assistant. Pretty good pay, many (most?) don't work nights or weekends, and ultimate responsibility doesn't rest on your shoulders. Also, you spend much less time in school so you start making a good salary much quicker than an MD would.

Kad5

TheMan said:
Perhaps consider becoming a physician's assistant. Pretty good pay, many (most?) don't work nights or weekends, and ultimate responsibility doesn't rest on your shoulders. Also, you spend much less time in school so you start making a good salary much quicker than an MD would.

I thought about being a doctor in order to help people. I've always wanted to help people.

That's just the kind of person I am. Like I said my options are open so i'll see what happens.

TheMan

Kad5 said:
I thought about being a doctor in order to help people. I've always wanted to help people.

That's just the kind of person I am. Like I said my options are open so i'll see what happens.

PA's help people. Oftentimes, patients will see a PA instead of a doc for routine cases.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for someone who is afraid of hard work and stress to become a doc.

BigSicily

Banned
j_k_redtail said:
I understand that the MD segments total 4 years, and the PhD segment is . . . variable. By all indications MSTP programs are getting longer. Does yours include protections to ensure that it won't take, say, 10 years?

Variable is an understatement. The PhD segment can become a blackhole, you need to really stay focused on your topic and just churn out work. One of the biggest enablers is you have to ensure that your adviser is someone who relates to you, someone you can be friends with and is on-board with your type of thinking. If you can't be be frank or proverbially shoot-the-shit with him/her, be wary of the downstream consequences... I've seen less motivated strait-PhD students prioritized in lab time over MSTP because the adviser reasoned the latter could survive "easier" since the compensation was better.

dvolovets

Patrick Bateman said:
It may be a dumb question, but how do you guys handle your job and social networking?

Did you stop using it, pull up all bridges, so that your patients won't stalk you and still take you serious?
I'm not in the field yet (still undergraduate), but it really depends on your situation. You could make your Facebook/MySpace pages private and take them out of the search directory, for example.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Patrick Bateman said:

The head of the dialysis centre here has a shirtless pic of himself as his Facebook profile pic.

I have a number of my immediates who are physicians, RNs and Psychiatrists and also I work at a hospital as well.

Bottomline: From Pre-med to End of Residency it is tough, stressful and many people drop out and only the best or toughest minded remain.

Once you end your residency and become a proper physician, RN or Psychiatrist, the stress level goes down considerably, you have a lot of flexible hours, you are treated like loyalty in the hospital and outside. It becomes a relaxing job

Kad5

TheMan said:
PA's help people. Oftentimes, patients will see a PA instead of a doc for routine cases.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for someone who is afraid of hard work and stress to become a doc.

Well i'd imagine if I know what i'm doing the work wouldn't be hard or stressful right?

Zzoram

Kad5 said:
Well i'd imagine if I know what i'm doing the work wouldn't be hard or stressful right?

Not really. You have to study really hard to know what you're doing, and the dedication to studying is stressful. As for once the job starts, knowing that the life of the person you're talking to may rest in your decisions can be pretty stressful.

Here's a question for you, what's your GPA in your Bachelor's? How much do you currently study?

Kad5

Zzoram said:
Not really. You have to study really hard to know what you're doing, and the dedication to studying is stressful. As for once the job starts, knowing that the life of the person you're talking to may rest in your decisions can be pretty stressful.

Here's a question for you, what's your GPA in your Bachelor's? How much do you currently study?

I haven't even started college yet i'm about to start.

My gpa in high school was a 3.2 though if you only include academic courses.

Top Bottom