• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Picross 3D 2 announced

Great news. I'll now play my recent purchase of Picross 3D as a result (I ended up getting a European copy from New Zealand of all places).

Picross DS had 1000 DLC puzzles, a multi-player mode, the ability to create puzzles - either by drawing tiles or by actually drawing a picture and having it morph into a Picross puzzle, and 25x20 puzzles.

I paid $20 for that, compared to $36 for the six e-series games
I fixed it for Europe. I do not get why NOE dropped the ball so badly on Picross DS.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Tell me GAF, what's so good about Picross ? I never played one. Looking into something to make me use my N3DS XL again.

GOTY whenever it comes. I have played everything Picross for every system. Picross 2 for Gameboy is the best! But seriously I can't wait for this!

gerudoman

I've never bought any digital game if I had the chance to buy its retail version, but Picross 3D 2 will probably be the exception. I hope it's reasonably priced...

Iceberg

As soon as it can be preordered, I'm in.

C'mon, I want it now, now.

I got it in Japanese and then the European version for the DS

STG!

Great news! Can't wait for this one, and neither can my father, best and most-replayed gift I ever gave him!

Owensboro

Holy hell yes. And here I was just thinking "Man, my 3DS is starting to gather dust after I lost that Monster Hunter addiction."

BiggNife

Sweet! This isn't New 3DS-only right?

No, it's for any 3DS. if it was n3DS only it would have the n3DS logo and a bar on the top instead of the typical 3DS box with the logo on the right.

pkg.png

I can't really think of any n3DS features this game would use, anyway. It's not like Picross 3D is visually complex and requires extra processing power.

d00d3n

Tell me GAF, what's so good about Picross ? I never played one. Looking into something to make me use my N3DS XL again.

Is a nice stress-free puzzle concept where the basic rules are simple to learn, but the complexity of the puzzles can be quite deep. I would recommend finding out the general puzzle solving methods on your own to get maximum enjoyment in the initial phase. When you have learned these methods, puzzle solving does start to go on auto-pilot for a while (still a great meditative experience), until they bombard you with subtle contradictions as the sole means of progressing - these puzzles will fuck up your brain and entertain you for weeks.

Is a nice stress-free puzzle concept where the basic rules are simple to learn, but the complexity of the puzzles can be quite deep. I would recommend finding out the general puzzle solving methods on your own to get maximum enjoyment in the initial phase. When you have learned these methods, puzzle solving does start to go on auto-pilot for a while (still a great meditative experience), until they bombard you with subtle contradictions as the sole means of progressing - these puzzles will fuck up your brain and entertain you for weeks.

I also think it's more satisfying than similar puzzle games like Sudoku because it is less abstract.

Instead of just moving numbers around in a grid, you're forming a picture of something (or chiseling out a model in the case of the 3D games). It's rewarding to finish one and have made something.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member

Sold. Thanks !

Doopliss

Hopefully they add more depth to the puzzle solving. In the DS game as you progressed and the puzzles got bigger the difficulty of using the clues increased only slightly, but the number of clues per puzzle went up dramatically, meaning it became more about searching for which clue(s) you could use to progress and less about logical challenge. As I got near the end it was feeling less and less fun became almost akin to a pixel hunt or hidden object game.

From the videos it looks like the post-completion animations are gone. Bit of a shame since they were quite charming in some cases.

You try out this type of puzzle for free on the internet. The generic name for them is nonogram. The difference with (2D) Picross is that the solution makes a picture rather than just being randomly generated, and you get tutorials and hints to help you.

Vexidus

I played Picross DS and Picross 3D for ages. Very fun to pick up and do a puzzle or two. I can't wait to get this and bang out a few every night before bed.

I've only played the first "e" game (and enjoyed it), I take it this is different in terms of gameplay?

And are the other "e" games worth checking out or is it more of just the same? Because I've not entirely finished the first one yet.

I've only played the first "e" game (and enjoyed it), I take it this is different in terms of gameplay?

And are the other "e" games worth checking out or is it more of just the same? Because I've not entirely finished the first one yet.

It's the same basic concept, just extrapolated to a 3D puzzle that you can manipulate. Instead of creating a picture, you're 'chiseling' a sculpture out of a big block. The best way to understand it is to watch a video.

The 'e' games are pretty much the same thing every time. Some of them have an alternate gameplay mode called Mega Picross, which I really like (you have single numbers that cover two rows or columns instead of one), but at the moment I can't remember which ones it's featured in. They've all blended together for me :p

@MUWANdo

Banned
Looks like Shogo Sakai (Kirby, Mother 3) is the composer, at least that's how I interprets this awesome tweet: https://twitter.com/Shogo_Sakai/status/634340143281733632

Ninjedit: People can try to translate his previous tweets too to be sure. Only saw the cat at first.

I can't look at Twitter right now but he heavily pimps all HAL's games, regardless of whether he worked on them or not. He's been doing the same for Boxboy recently.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
You try out this type of puzzle for free on the internet. The generic name for them is nonogram. The difference with (2D) Picross is that the solution makes a picture rather than just being randomly generated, and you get tutorials and hints to help you.

Oh cool I'll try that, thanks.

Definetely a puzzle game lover, I miss playing some lately.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
By the way, if anyone missed out on/wanted to try the first one, you can grab a used copy for $3 at Gamestop. Probably wouldn't come with the actual box or anything if you buy it in-store, not sure about online (but online you'd have to pay shipping which is likely more than the cost of the game).

Anedar

In the later E games (I think E4 onwards?), you can actually play all the puzzles in Free mode. It's an option in the settings menu (and the right way to play, I agree).

Wait, what? This is the true megaton. I was so disappointed when they didn't have any free mode in e4 that i never picked up e5 or e6, have to go back and replay it now.

But isn't it too late to download puzzles from Picross 3D?

Edit: wow nvm I thought these "e" packs were for Picross 3D but they are standalone Picross games. Can't wait to try these.

Top Bottom