• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Arcipello

Pieces are all the same color. Their proximity to the brightly colored top changes the way they look in relation to one another.

wrong! if they were all the same colour we wouldnt be able to see the pattern they make, you cant say they are the same when there is clear difference between them... ive seen that optical trick before.. but this one is just a trick.

noah111

Still Alive
I didn't say the bolded.

The diamonds are all the same, each with a range of light (top) to dark (bottom). Each row of diamonds is the same. They only appear to be different because of the way of our eyes react to the brightness of the row of half diamonds and how the tops and bottoms interact next to each other.

I think.
I see, your wording confused me. Still not convinced entirely, since it's almost too good. The plain vector image version works off of a difference principle that obviously wouldn't correlate into real life;

Illusion-1024x419.png

But it is a similar premise of shadow trickery...

Arcipello

yeah each diamond has a subtle gradient.... but im still confused as to how that one diamond he moves around is able to fit perfectly within any section considering that two would have some form of gradient it should only really be able to fit perfectly in one area.

anyway i love those facebook headers and im gonna try to make my own :D

Yeah, just clever little things to make it look better (some of those examples are really awesome actually). Here's mine for example;

Ha! Excellent stuff. Is there an ideal image size to use for the header? I've been messing about with mine, but (as I'm at work!) I've not got access to Photoshop etc. to experiment properly.

noah111

Still Alive
Ha! Excellent stuff. Is there an ideal image size to use for the header? I've been messing about with mine, but (as I'm at work!) I've not got access to Photoshop etc. to experiment properly.
Not really, but it's best if the original image has a width of at least 800px. The rest doesn't matter since you can drag the image up and down as it's left and right edges are fixated.

squidyj

Yes we can. The brightness at the top renders the first row of diamonds "dark." The bottom of those dark diamonds make the tops of the next row appear lighter which in turn makes the lower half appear even darker and so on.

This is just my guess based on watching it far too many times.

Are you suggesting it is just an editing or animation trick?

That's how.

That's not how, now I understand it. The diamonds are actually gradients. so the colors at the edges are different which gives the pattern but the diamonds are all the same at the same time.

images-i157258bgqoxs.gif

Sorry for the shitty quality, have no capture equipment here so I had to use my phone. Now I'm one of those people..

I'm currently watching some German nature docs on Blu-ray (before someone asks, sorry, this one is not available in English) and saw this slow-mo scene in the Norway episode. I really liked the composition and wanted to gif it.. though in my mind the result was be better haha, oh well.

MrCow

images-i157258bgqoxs.gif

Sorry for the shitty quality, have no capture equipment here so I had to use my phone. Now I'm one of those people..

I'm currently watching some German nature docs on Blu-ray (before someone asks, sorry, this one is not available in English) and saw this slow-mo scene in the Norway episode. I really liked the composition and wanted to gif it.. though in my mind the result was be better haha, oh well.

can you please post the name of the docs? for all the german speaking members like me ^^

can you please post the name of the docs? for all the german speaking members like me ^^

Sure, it's Wildes Skandinavien:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0053KL8PI/
6 countries, 6(7) episodes.
edit, trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSSriEzMxgk

BBC Nature doesn't really have a comprehensive series about that region, so I bought this.
It seems the NDR stepped up their game recently and produces some nice HD stuff. It also feels closer to the BBC quality/level and not like those US-style documentaries...
They also made a similar series about Russia called Wildes Russland (which already has an English narration track). Also nice, though so far the Skandinavien series seems to do a much better job at the cinematic presentation. E.g. the mentioned Norway episode received some international awards.

I also bought Mythos Amazonas which is from the same guys but only has 2(3) episodes.

Casp0r

Banned
<http://i.imgur.com/fQykc.jpg>
Each picture has being enlarged 22 million times
Each picture has being taken with traditional microscopes, but with the help of some powerful electronic microscopes, which bombard the subject with electrons. Blah blah blah

This explanation is total bullshit, it has ruined my joy at viewing these pictures.

It's badly written, badly explained and misses out some crucial information.

These pictures were taken with Scanning Electron Microscopes (Not a goddamn traditional microscope), at varying magnifications up to 500 000x (SEM cannot go up to god damn 22 000 000x and most of these pictures only really go up to 100-200x). The colors are later added to enhance and clarify the pictures. (Hence your eyebrow hairs aren't fucking green)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This explanation is total bullshit, it has ruined my joy at viewing these pictures.

It's badly written, badly explained and misses out some crucial information.

These pictures were taken with Scanning Electron Microscopes (Not a goddamn traditional microscope), at varying magnifications up to 500 000x (SEM cannot go up to god damn 22 000 000x and most of these pictures only really go up to 100-200x). The colors are later added to enhance and clarify the pictures. (Hence your eyebrow hairs aren't fucking green)

Woah. Sorry about that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Apologies, it's not your fault. It's whoever made that picture. If that's you, for shame.

My photo manipulation abilities are limited to pictures cropping, hahaha, so no, I didn't make it.

Again, I apologize for the length:

The windows guy:
XJhG4.jpg

Creativity can be amazing:
Pk3Zf.jpg

Awesome coincidence:
J391Z.jpg

Actually just one picture:
qH68o.jpg

Pixar doing stuff:
WhPUK.jpg

People doing stuff due to Pixar doing stuff: