• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

Lister

Banned
RTwP isometric games don't seem to get ports. I hope Obsidian makes a turn-based RPG at some point just to see how their mid-budget RPGs could do on consoles.

How well did Wasteland 2 do on consoles? Nuemanera is coming otu on consoles too so we'll see.

RTwP isometric games don't seem to get ports. I hope Obsidian makes a turn-based RPG at some point just to see how their mid-budget RPGs could do on consoles.

Speaking of budgets, do we know roughly how much these games cost to make? Unless Tyranny was made on a shoestring there's no way it turned a profit yet.

I understand most high budget games today are in the 30+ million dollar range, but for these I'm expecting more like in the 3-5 mil range.

Rektash

They should really go for some better key art with this. I mean, I get what they are going for but this is the year 2017 and this just doesn't look very appealing anymore.

In comparison their actual game footage looks great.

Purkake4

Banned
Going to wait and see on this. Best of luck to Obsidian, the RPG system They made for Pillars just doesn't work for me.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
How well did Wasteland 2 do on consoles? Nuemanera is coming otu on consoles too so we'll see.

Numenera is not RTwP. It is turn based.

For consoles I just can't see the system working. It needs lots of UI space and fine grain control to handle the chaos. I can't see that working well on a console controller without a lot of redesign which would probably anger the PC crowd who wants that stuff.

Ozium

I really hope they put those lore hypertext links that were in Tyranny in this... would rather mouseover and read a bit of lore that my character is supposed to know than listen to 2 minutes of expository dialogue

Arulan

For good reason.

Speculation and hints suggest that there might be a turn-based historically-focused RPG, ala Darklands, lead by Josh Sawyer after PoE II.

Giolon

Well, I'm in for $45. I went in for $65 + the expansions in the first one and definitely wasn't disappointed.

Do it for me again, Obsidian! Even if Fig.co is kind of suspect.

Instro

I really hope they put those lore hypertext links that were in Tyranny in this... would rather mouseover and read a bit of lore that my character is supposed to know than listen to 2 minutes of expository dialogue

Yeah I really loved that addition. Particularly since it ended up being used in some neat ways.

Dineren

Banned

Josh was asked about that a couple times during his Q&A streams and he has said that he really likes the feature and thinks it would make a lot of sense in PoE (though he didn't really confirm they would use it).

Dineren

Banned
Although a very minor thing, I hope they do a better job on the cloth map this time. That thing was garbage in the last CE.

Give up on the BG2 thing. They dont have the budget to do something like that.

My impression--and more knowledgeable people can certainly correct me--is that BG2 was a product of not just a larger budget but also a somewhat freer development environment than Obsidian can afford. Designers could generate and iterate on their own little quests much later in the dev cycle than is possible today.

Well, I'm obviously backing it, the only thing to decide is which tier I'll choose.
Going physical without going for the CE seems meaningless so it's either the collector's edition or the basic digital tier.

My problem is that I don't want any physical rewards, so there's a pretty big gap for me between credits/early access and naming a pets, items, etc.

Miletius

And in. Obsidian has earned good will in my eyes with their KS campaigns. PoE wasn't the end all be all, but they have been very transparent with the whole process.

PnCIa

$500,000 in 5.5 hours.
They are making progress. Fast.
No wonder though, PoE was an excellent game. To me, supporting this is kinda like preordering, i am certain that this is going to be great.

How much i would love them to make their version of Elder Scrolls though. A second Morrowind so to speak, with Obsidian writing.

The Wart

Speaking of budgets, do we know roughly how much these games cost to make? Unless Tyranny was made on a shoestring there's no way it turned a profit yet.

I understand most high budget games today are in the 30+ million dollar range, but for these I'm expecting more like in the 3-5 mil range.

Well let's see, back of the napkin calculation, steamspy has it at 135K, so we have 130K * $44 * .7 for the Steam cut gives us $4.25 mil in revenue. That's not counting GOG sales or the higher priced editions, which I imagine do relatively well for this type of game. Considering it was all recycled enginework and minimal marketing, I can't imagine anyone's losing money on Tyranny. Though I imagine it's been a bit of a disappointment.

Anno

That $750 tier is going faster than I want it to. Told myself I'd spring for that if I end up getting a bonus this year, but pretty soon I might just have the go for it with fingers crossed lol

Arulan

I ended up upgrading to the Signed Elite Collector's.

Also, re-posting this that ended up on the end of the last page:

pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-announced-148543845253.png

It looks like that Angler-fish has the symbol for Eothas on its head. Perhaps that's how Eothas is represented in this culture? The light in the dark abyss of the sea.

To which Anthony Davis replied:

Anthony Davis said:
Haven't seen this one myself either. Also looks kind of like a fertility idol too.

Ah, you're right. Light and Fertility. Eothas.

And some new relevant information from Josh Sawyer:

jereplypoeiiombt2.png

Voror

Hmm got an email from them with a $5 code for Fig but not till after I had made my pledge. Clicking on the Redeem link doesn't seem to do anything when it takes me to the Fig page other than saying something about special extras that I can't figure out. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: Oh I see it now when I checked to edit the pledge.

Nzyme32

Hmm got an email from them with a $5 code for Fig but not till after I had made my pledge. Clicking on the Redeem link doesn't seem to do anything when it takes me to the Fig page other than saying something about special extras that I can't figure out. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: Oh I see it now when I checked to edit the pledge.

When you click the link, try going to edit your pledge and in the extras area see if there isn't a $5 off voucher thing. If not, cancel your pledge, then do the link again. There should be a border around one of the $29 tiers and a green bar at the top saying superbacker

Anno

Looks like some additional high-end backer tiers suddenly appeared? Own an island! Creating a soulbound weapon sounds fun, and I'm glad to know that they'll be back.

Count me in for $29. Now I just need to finish the first game :/

Edit: I wonder if they'll expand racial choices? I found the lack of half-races in the first game a bit disappointing.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna miss Durance. He might just be my favorite companion of all time.

God I could not stand the combat of the first one but I really want a good iso RPG to play. Hrm........

Playing through on Story Mode right now and I can say its been delightful. As someone who doesn't have the patience for the kind of combat found in PoE its been nice to focus on the story and characters. Just pledged $45!

MartyStu

Edit: I wonder if they'll expand racial choices? I found the lack of half-races in the first game a bit disappointing.

Front what I remember, the races are not generally capable of producing offspring with each other.

Backed at $45 - $5 discount for the premium digital tier. Not really interested in the digital guide book as I'll probably buy a hard copy like I did for the first game anyway but I really wanted all of the in-game goodies. I supposed now I should probably pick up the expansion for the first game and give that a shot.

Anno

The first lore book explicitly says there's no interracial breeding but doesn't really say why unless I missed it. Maybe something to do with souls? Or, more likely, because budget constraints :p

Top Bottom